Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody else turn the air on tonight?

+12
Rocinante
Jake from State Farm
MiamiSpartan
Dendrobates
Watch Out Pylon!
Robert J Sakimano
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
InTenSity
The Pantry
WhiteBoyHatcher
y2kMgrad
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Anybody else turn the air on tonight? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anybody else turn the air on tonight?

Post by Rocinante 2017-05-18, 17:58

I have not stuck my finger in Travis' butt. He's such a prude.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Anybody else turn the air on tonight? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anybody else turn the air on tonight?

Post by The Pantry 2017-05-18, 19:04

MiamiSpartan wrote:
The Pantry wrote:If it's running but not getting cool it probably just needs refrigerant.  

Sorry.
Probably even more likely that the capacitor blew.   That's happened to me a couple of times where the air was blowing, but not cooling.  I've had a guy come out to fix it twice before (about $100), but next time I will do it myself.  

However, for Dendro, if it is freon, that probably means there's a leak (freon levels shouldn't just go down unless there's a leak), so don't let them cheap out and just add freon until it gets low again. If you have that home warranty thing, they'd rather pay a guy to add that every year than spend a few grand on a new one.
Was talking about the outdoor condenser, not the optimist fan in the house.  If it's running, it probably needs a refrigerant charge.  Yes, probably a small leak or two.  Repair guy would probably pump a sealer in to plug them.  Stuff works in many cases, sometimes for years.

@Dendro...you need to do a small diagnostic test.  Turn the air on and go outside to see if the condenser is running.  If not, it's probably a capacitor or other issue (hopefully one that will get you a new AC unit).  If it is, it's likely the lack of refrigerant (and a leak).

btw...what make is your current unit?

edit: Meant the fan in the furnace. SRC and his silly word replacements.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2017-05-23, 12:40

Update:

AC guy came today. He didn't even look into it in depth. He said the freon is completely empty and would cost $700 to fill (which would be on us not home warranty). He also said that the humidifier (which hasn't worked since we moved in), is completely dead and shit is so rotted out and moldy within it, that he has to do some repair shit. He said the AC unit is not worth repairing and needs to be replaced! Yippie! He said he couldn't even tell what model it is, because there are no numbers on it as it's so fucking old. So he is calling the warranty place to tell them this stuff.

I looked through my policy again and I thought they listed a set amount they will give me for the AC through my home warranty. But all the other appliances have a listed price, except for the AC. So I'm not sure how much is covered, unless all of it is. It's still cheaper than me paying it all out of pocket.

Side question. I do know my home warranty doesn't cover a humidifier. He said it would cost $450 for a new one. Is it worth getting one? Do I really need it? Or should I bite the bullet and just do it?
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-05-23, 12:56

In Michigan, the only time I remember needing a humidifier was in the winter. It's been a while though. If you were here, hells yeah you would need it.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-05-23, 14:20

Dendrobates wrote:Side question. I do know my home warranty doesn't cover a humidifier. He said it would cost $450 for a new one. Is it worth getting one? Do I really need it? Or should I bite the bullet and just do it?

I've never had one but then again I'm a tough guy.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2017-05-23, 20:37

You don't really need a whole house humidifier. You can get a decent one for your baby pretty cheap at Target or on Amazon, and you'll really only use it when the baby has a cold or is otherwise congested. I'd save the $500 or whatever if I were you.

In fact, you should just register for one if you haven't had your showers yet. Somebody will likely buy it for you!
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-05-23, 21:15

LooseGoose wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:Side question. I do know my home warranty doesn't cover a humidifier. He said it would cost $450 for a new one. Is it worth getting one? Do I really need it? Or should I bite the bullet and just do it?

I've never had one but then again I'm a tough guy sissy pants who sits when he pees.
tongue Anybody else turn the air on tonight? - Page 2 2943907172

P
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2017-05-23, 21:34

y2kMgrad wrote:You don't really need a whole house humidifier. You can get a decent one for your baby pretty cheap at Target or on Amazon, and you'll really only use it when the baby has a cold or is otherwise congested. I'd save the $500 or whatever if I were you.

In fact, you should just register for one if you haven't had your showers yet. Somebody will likely buy it for you!

I actually did order one on my registry. I think I'm leaning on not doing it. If I wasn't doing a bunch of other stuff around the house, than I would . But we're fixing up things here and there and it's all adding up.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-05-23, 21:59

Dendrobates wrote:Update:

AC guy came today. He didn't even look into it in depth. He said the freon is completely empty and would cost $700 to fill (which would be on us not home warranty). He also said that the humidifier (which hasn't worked since we moved in), is completely dead and shit is so rotted out and moldy within it, that he has to do some repair shit. He said the AC unit is not worth repairing and needs to be replaced! Yippie! He said he couldn't even tell what model it is, because there are no numbers on it as it's so fucking old. So he is calling the warranty place to tell them this stuff.

I looked through my policy again and I thought they listed a set amount they will give me for the AC through my home warranty. But all the other appliances have a listed price, except for the AC. So I'm not sure how much is covered, unless all of it is. It's still cheaper than me paying it all out of pocket.

Side question. I do know my home warranty doesn't cover a humidifier. He said it would cost $450 for a new one. Is it worth getting one? Do I really need it? Or should I bite the bullet and just do it?
Nice the new AC unit sounds like it might get covered.

You spent this past winter with what sounds like a non-functioning humidifier. Notice any deleterious effects? Colds that popped up out of nowhere? Dryness in your throat and/or nasal passages when waking up? Lots of static shocks?

If none of the above, I'd skip the humidifier for now.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2