Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

California Chrome

+16
NigelUno
y2kMgrad
Dr Draymond
xsanguine
Marc Summers
Death Roe
Watch Out Pylon!
MJ
sprtnbrn
Danny Tanner
tig ol bitties
kingstonlake
Chitown_Badger
The Pantry
tGreenWay
MSUgöat
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Does he do it?

California Chrome - Page 2 Vote_lcap42%California Chrome - Page 2 Vote_rcap 42% 
[ 8 ]
California Chrome - Page 2 Vote_lcap47%California Chrome - Page 2 Vote_rcap 47% 
[ 9 ]
California Chrome - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%California Chrome - Page 2 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 19

Poll closed

Poll Re: California Chrome

Post by DroppedByADime 2014-06-07, 20:44

At least hockey snob plays(Ed) some rec league bullshit. .. I see a half dozen douchebags on FB acting like they've trained or owned race horses.

Shut the fucks up.
DroppedByADime
DroppedByADime
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2014-06-07, 20:45

You do realize there are snobs for literally every sport ever, right?
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedByADime 2014-06-07, 20:50

Thanks, yeah..... I pointed out two of the worst IMO.

It's douchier in this case to me. Again, baseball snob probably played baseball , etc etc.
DroppedByADime
DroppedByADime
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-06-07, 21:13

Dr Draymond wrote:

I don't know anything about horse racing either, but do horses really get tired out from running two 1+ mile races in a month?  Or are they running hard workouts to stay in "racing shape" that the other horses don't start until closer to the Belmont?

I just find it hard to believe that a 2-minute race for an animal so strong would have a lasting impact beyond a week.

They are 1000lbs animals running at 40mph on ankles that are the size of your wrist.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2014-06-07, 21:16

kingstonlake wrote:

And I was right. If the fix isn't in (in the dirtiest sport on the planet) he's got no shot. You can't ask a horse to run three times in a month against the best competition when they normally run three times a year.

Was the fix in for Secretariat? Also how much money did you have on Tonalist?
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-06-07, 21:17

kingstonlake wrote:

They are 1000lbs animals running at 40mph on ankles that are the size of your wrist.
Okay.  Now you're talking complete bullshit
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-06-07, 21:19

LooseGoose wrote:

Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft.  You just need a better horse.  Winning time was nearly 5 seconds behind Secretariat's time.   At full speed that's a long way back.

Someone calculated it.

darren rovell ‏@darrenrovell 1h
How good was Secretariat? He would have beaten today’s winner Tonalist by 22 LENGTHS based on his 1973 time.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-06-07, 21:52

The Pantry wrote:
Okay.  Now you're talking complete bullshit

You've never seen a horse in person I take it?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-06-07, 21:55

y2kMgrad wrote:

Was the fix in for Secretariat? Also how much money did you have on Tonalist?

Secretariat wasn't from this universe. At least during his triple crown run. I had Tonalist in my pers/tris but not commissioner. Played wicked strong and medal count for place. Oh well lol.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedByADime 2014-06-07, 22:33

My brother owns two horses for his spoiled wife to do that " jump over the fence " shit. Dressage (sp)? Zero clue.

Their ankles are far bigger than my wrists.
DroppedByADime
DroppedByADime
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedByADime 2014-06-07, 22:37

Edit : Google says their roughly the size of human ankles.

Must use ghost and other cankle sufferers in this comparison.
DroppedByADime
DroppedByADime
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-06-07, 22:49

kingstonlake wrote:

You've never seen a horse in person I take it?
A number of them. Have you?

Comparing a mature horse ankle to a human wrist in terms of size alone is absurd. Perhaps you should have expounded on whatever you meant
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-06-07, 23:05

The Pantry wrote:
A number of them.  Have you?

Comparing a mature horse ankle to a human wrist in terms of size alone is absurd.  Perhaps you should have expounded on whatever you meant

You want to split hairs princess? Fine they are the size of human ankles and they weigh freaking 1/2 a ton. If you want to get technical horses aren't built for racing. There's a reason they are put down if they break their ankle. They can't heal. They get very little blood flow. They aren't built for racing.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-06-07, 23:20

kingstonlake wrote:

Bitter sauce from that owner. He basically said, "I only want to run against horses I already beat". What a dip shit. All these horses take different paths to these races that pay big money. They pay the fee to run, they can run. Some of these horses just don't mature and peak at the same pace. Tonalist was a lightly raced (4 races) horse. CC ran at least 10 races leading up to the triple crown last tear and this year. It would be stupid of an owner to do the same to a horse who isn't ready. Tonalists owner was very smart to place his colt in a big race he was ready for. Chromes owner was a douche bag and sore loser. Get over it schmuck.

I bet Tonalist's owner now wishes he had run him in the Derby and the Preakness.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedByADime 2014-06-07, 23:21

That makes sense for sure. I agree with the other poster that two minutes every three weeks seems odd to be such a factor ...

Is it sore ankles ? ( actual Q) Otherwise, I don't get it.
DroppedByADime
DroppedByADime
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Draymond 2014-06-07, 23:42

DroppedByADime wrote:That makes sense for sure.    I agree with the other poster that two minutes every three weeks seems odd to be such a factor ...

Is it sore ankles ? ( actual Q)    Otherwise, I don't get it.  

Exactly. Their muscles can't possibly be "tired" or even sore from the race after a few days. Is it definitely join pain that is to explain for the belief that horses are "tired" after racing twice in a month?
Dr Draymond
Dr Draymond
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2014-06-08, 00:10

lol...
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedByADime 2014-06-08, 10:31

Welp, there's obviously a big benefit as I read half the winners since 2000 skipped the Preakness.

I have yet to read why, though- other than " freshness" which again seems silly to an outsider.

If it were a human and the mental drain from focusing on each one played a role - that'd make some sense. Hmmf.
DroppedByADime
DroppedByADime
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2014-06-08, 20:14

Poor fucking horses.... the shit we do to animals so that we can gamble and play games while we wear stupid little hats, and dressing up so we can pretend like we're in the 1920's.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Donjuanmc 2014-06-09, 03:12

Dr Draymond wrote:

Exactly. Their muscles can't possibly be "tired" or even sore from the race after a few days. Is it definitely join pain that is to explain for the belief that horses are "tired" after racing twice in a month?

It is a combination of things. They have been bred and in-bred for centuries to do one thing and one thing only.... run, and given the chance would literally run themselves to death. A race pretty much completely empties the tank. That being said 95% of horses could run a race every 1-2 weeks and be just fine but elite horses are worth so much more in the breeding market and with every race the chance of catastrophic injury is raised and it is just not worth it to run them that often
Donjuanmc
Donjuanmc
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Donjuanmc 2014-06-09, 03:27

xsanguine wrote:Poor fucking horses.... the shit we do to animals so that we can gamble and play games while we wear stupid little hats, and dressing up so we can pretend like we're in the 1920's.

Would you rather they were just another option at the meat market?
Donjuanmc
Donjuanmc
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2014-06-09, 03:37

Donjuanmc wrote:

Would you rather they were just another option at the meat market?

Yes... like dogs, cats, etc.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Donjuanmc 2014-06-09, 03:38

DroppedByADime wrote:Welp, there's obviously a big benefit as I read half the winners since 2000 skipped the Preakness.

I have yet to read why, though- other than " freshness" which again seems silly to an outsider.

If it were a human and the mental drain from focusing on each one played a role - that'd make some sense. Hmmf.

The thing you have to remember is the first two races are very close to the same distance. Obviously the winner of the KD will be regarded as the best 3 yo in most cases. If you couldn't beat him then why would you think you could 2 weeks later at nearly the same distance. Thought being in the Belmont, which is a 1/4 mile longer than the KD, maybe the best horse lost a step or two in the first two races and we have another 1/4 mile to make up the difference. Also all 3 of these races are the longest races of these horses careers to this point.
Donjuanmc
Donjuanmc
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Donjuanmc 2014-06-09, 04:15

All that being said the owner is a fairy faggot mother fucker. There's people that have dedicated their entire lives to the sport and never come close to even having a horse that might be an afterthought to even run in the Kentucky derby. This pussy has the favorite to accomplish one of the hardest feats in all of sport and he's going to be a sore loser? The only thing I can compare it to is winning the Heisman, then throwing it on the ground and shattering it, then taking a giant shit all over it in front of everybody because you're not playing for the national title also. /rant
Donjuanmc
Donjuanmc
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2014-06-09, 13:44

NigelUno wrote:

I bet Tonalist's owner now wishes he had run him in the Derby and the Preakness.
Tonalist was not eligible to run in the Kentucky Derby.  

Only the top 20 horses in eligibility points are able to run in the Kentucky Derby.  The points are awarded to horses who race in 34 specific races for 2 and 3 year olds.  Tonalist did not race in any of those races and accordingly had 0 points.  FWIW, it is system that was not in place when the last Triple Crown was won.  

The owners rant was basically that they only horses that should be eligible for the Belmont and Preakness are those twenty horses. To me, that is just a silly argument.  The Triple Crown is not a race or a racing series.  It is simply a mythical championship awarded to a horse that wins (arguably) the top three races for three year old horses.  Those races are three independent races of differing lengths held at three different tracks.  It is like saying you cannot compete in golf's US Open if you were not eligible to compete in the Masters because of the mythical "Grand Slam."

It's horse racing.  Owners and trainers pick and choose what races to enter based on a number of factors.  Tonalist did not run in the Preakness on 5/17 but did run 5/10, winning a race at Belmont Park.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedByADime 2014-06-09, 14:42

Nobody still can explain why they're so wiped out and unfrresh"after a two minute race two or three weeks earlier.

Please explain.
DroppedByADime
DroppedByADime
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2014-06-09, 15:01

DroppedByADime wrote:Nobody still can explain why they're so wiped out and unfrresh"after a two minute race two or three weeks earlier.

Please explain.
I am not an expert, but I believe the biggest problem is exercise induced pulmonary hemorrhage (EIPH).  Basically horses run so hard that blood develops in their lungs and airways.  Based on post race exams about half of thoroughbreds experience it after a race. Almost all race horses experience during their racing career.  It is potentially fatal and takes at least 10 days to clear up but a horse should not race for at least 20 days after experiencing it.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedByADime 2014-06-09, 17:32

Thanks. First answer that makes a lot of sense.

DroppedByADime
DroppedByADime
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-06-09, 17:32

DroppedByADime wrote:Nobody still can explain why they're so wiped out and unfrresh"after a two minute race two or three weeks earlier.

Please explain.

Horses have joined in the pussification of America.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-06-09, 19:17

Please explain.

You're focusing on the 2 minutes, rather than the 1 1/4 mile that they're running in those 2 minutes.

I've never heard of any other animal, including humans, running that far that fast. Let alone doing it more often than every 2 weeks.

In summary: Nothing else can do it, why would you expect horses to?
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-06-09, 20:07

Rodeo Burger wrote:

You're focusing on the 2 minutes, rather than the 1 1/4 mile that they're running in those 2 minutes.

I've never heard of any other animal, including humans, running that far that fast.  Let alone doing it more often than every 2 weeks.

In summary:  Nothing else can do it, why would you expect horses to?

Not mention Lasix given to horses like it were aspirin.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedByADime 2014-06-09, 21:32

Rodeo Burger wrote:

I've never heard of any other animal, including humans, running that far that fast. Let alone doing it more often than every 2 weeks.

In summary: Nothing else can do it, why would you expect horses to?

Humans can run the same distance in 90 seconds longer.... I get that they're running hard etc.

But I think a world class miler could do two of then in three weeks ... Then again, I don't claim to know shit about either, just puzzles me
DroppedByADime
DroppedByADime
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-06-09, 21:42

DroppedByADime wrote:

Humans can run the same distance in 90 seconds longer.... I get that they're running hard etc.  

But I think a world class miler could do two of then in three weeks ... Then again, I don't claim to know shit about either, just puzzles me

Distance runners dont bleed from their lungs after a race.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-06-09, 21:55

DroppedByADime wrote:

scratch 

The world record times for humans:

1 mile: 3:43
1/4 mile: 43 seconds

Even if you combined those times into a "best case scenario for humans", you're still looking at almost 4 and a half minutes.

Humans are also self aware. They understand their training, their nutrition, the rewards, etc. A horse is just running. Despite what trainers hope for, we have no idea if they're going as fast as they can, or just as fast as they want to, or as fast as they think they need to. Not to mention a horse doesn't know how long the race is until it's over.

During the Preakness, opposing jockeys took turns pushing the pace to try and force California Chrome to stay at the front, and wear him out. A human runner wouldn't be bothered by that. If someone took off at 100M sprinter pace during a mile and a quarter race, the smart runner let's him go, then passes him later when the sprinter is gassed.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-06-09, 21:59

Rodeo Burger wrote:

scratch 

The world record times for humans:

1 mile: 3:43
1/4 mile: 43 seconds

Even if you combined those times into a "best case scenario for humans", you're still looking at almost 4 and a half minutes.

Humans are also self aware.  They understand their training, their nutrition, the rewards, etc.  A horse is just running.  Despite what trainers hope for, we have no idea if they're going as fast as they can, or just as fast as they want to, or as fast as they think they need to.  Not to mention a horse doesn't know how long the race is until it's over.

During the Preakness, opposing jockeys took turns pushing the pace to try and force California Chrome to stay at the front, and wear him out.  A human runner wouldn't be bothered by that.  If someone took off at 100M sprinter pace during a mile and a quarter race, the smart runner let's him go, then passes him later when the sprinter is gassed.
Plus a horse is doing that on the same size ankles as humans. Then add 850lbs....

kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2014-06-09, 22:28

kingstonlake wrote:

Not if it has cankles.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedByADime 2014-06-09, 22:41

Jebus.

I acknowledged , thanked for the insight.... Admitted I know nothing about the subject. Lol.

Ok. Human would be closer to 120 seconds more -instead of the 90 seconds I threw out. I was waaaay off

The blood in lungs things, the ankle strain etc. Makes sense. I can rest now.

Just wondered what this mysterious " freshness" referred to, not knowing. Didn't compute.

I got it. ****. Lol
DroppedByADime
DroppedByADime
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-06-09, 22:44

kingstonlake wrote:
Plus a horse is doing that on the same size ankles as humans. Then add 850lbs....

Enough with the size of a human ankle thing. Your ass is sucking wind
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2