Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This estimate says opioid related deaths could potentially reach 500,000 over the next 10 years

+3
InTenSity
Floyd Robertson
Turtleneck
7 posters

Go down

This estimate says opioid related deaths could potentially reach 500,000 over the next 10 years Empty This estimate says opioid related deaths could potentially reach 500,000 over the next 10 years

Post by Turtleneck 2017-06-28, 12:52

Opioids could kill nearly half a million people across America over the next decade as the crisis of addiction and overdose accelerates.

Deaths from opioids have been rising sharply for years, and drug overdoses already kill more Americans under age 50 than anything else. STAT asked leading public health experts at 10 universities to forecast the arc of the epidemic over the next decade. The consensus: It will get worse before it gets better.

There are now nearly 100 deaths a day from opioids, a swath of destruction that runs from tony New England suburbs to the farm country of California, from the beach towns of Florida to the Appalachian foothills.

https://www.statnews.com/2017/06/27/opioid-deaths-forecast/

#WarOnDrugs
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

This estimate says opioid related deaths could potentially reach 500,000 over the next 10 years Empty Re: This estimate says opioid related deaths could potentially reach 500,000 over the next 10 years

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-06-28, 12:54

I wonder if those deaths could be curtailed if marijuana was legalized everywhere.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

This estimate says opioid related deaths could potentially reach 500,000 over the next 10 years Empty Re: This estimate says opioid related deaths could potentially reach 500,000 over the next 10 years

Post by Turtleneck 2017-06-28, 13:11

Good question. I am not sure this administration is going to let that happen - at least with Sessions as AG - but something obviously has to be done.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-06-28, 13:20

Turtleneck wrote:Good question. I am not sure this administration is going to let that happen - at least with Sessions as AG - but something obviously has to be done.
Lock em up. If they have kids, kick em to the curb. They made these bad horrible decisions, and now must live with teh consequences. Just a burden on the honest working man.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-06-28, 13:21

I'd definitely cut health care in those states. And when unwanted pregnancies occur in rising number I'd cut funding deeper to planned parenthood some more fuck this people.

#makeamericagreater.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-06-28, 13:23

InTenSity wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:Good question. I am not sure this administration is going to let that happen - at least with Sessions as AG - but something obviously has to be done.
Lock em up. If they have kids, kick em to the curb. They made these bad horrible decisions, and now must live with teh consequences. Just a burden on the honest working man.

In the late 70s and 80s that was the solution. Now that a drug epidemic has reached the suburbs and rural America, the preferred approach is treatment rather than prison.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-06-28, 13:25

Read today that law enforcement and public health officials in Forsyth County GA have found a new version of Fentanyl that overdose victims can't be helped with Naloxone. Contact the drug as small as a grain of salt can affect arresting officers.

I see this stuff and wonder if ISIS money could be behind such a potent drug hitting the streets. Kills drug users and can killer first responders too. If people survive it's millions in long term nailing an overused safety net.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-06-28, 13:34

Turtleneck wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

In the late 70s and 80s that was the solution. Now that a drug epidemic has reached the suburbs and rural America, the preferred approach is treatment rather than prison.
I say cut all funding to everything, and let them deal with it. That's the current experiment, right?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-06-28, 13:53

InTenSity wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I say cut all funding to everything, and let them deal with it. That's the current experiment, right?

Just use all tax money for the military. Just blow shit up.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-06-28, 14:04

DWags wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

Just use all tax money for the military. Just blow shit up.

Gotta save some money for the presidential private security detail, Secret Service, and security staff at the primary POTUS properties in FLA, NYC, and NJ. Plus the WH and Camp David. All critical locations needing 24/7 full staffing. Everything else is unnecessary to America's national security.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-06-28, 14:06

Count on the Trump 5 member select task force to deal with it. Named 90 days ago and Trump said they'd be having a report of possible actions in that 90 day window. That's today. No report and they met once, only meeting 2 weeks ago.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-06-28, 14:08

You guys are all super stupid. Everyone already knows that Jared Kuschner is gonna fix it.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-06-28, 14:11

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:You guys are all super stupid. Everyone already knows that Jared Kuschner is gonna fix it.

That sounds about as promising as putting Ashton Kutcher in charge.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-06-28, 14:12

GRR Spartan wrote:Count on the Trump 5 member select task force to deal with it. Named 90 days ago and Trump said they'd be having a report of possible actions in that 90 day window. That's today. No report and they met once, only meeting 2 weeks ago.

That report goes next to the ones offered by the generals who came up with plans to defeat daesh 30 days after Donnie took office. What? There are no reports? That's okay, because Trump said he had his own secret plan to win the war and if he won the election, he was going to implement it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-06-28, 15:13

Turtleneck wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

Pfffffffft. I'll bet a larger percentage of HS students were stoners in the 70s than over the last 20 years. I would guess that 10-20% of our HS smoked daily/weekly and it was rural as hell.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-06-28, 15:25

LooseGoose wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Pfffffffft. I'll bet a larger percentage of HS students were stoners in the 70s than over the last 20 years. I would guess that 10-20% of our HS smoked daily/weekly and it was rural as hell.

I am not talking about weed. I am talking about the response to the crack and heroin epidemics in urban areas in the late 70s and 80s, and how the response then was criminalization versus treatment in 2017.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-06-29, 23:25

Most major researchers believe that source, the National Survey on Drug Use and Health, vastly understates the increase in heroin use. But many rely on the survey anyway for a simple reason: It’s the best data they have. Several other sources that researchers once relied on are no longer being updated or have become more difficult to access. The lack of data means researchers, policymakers and public health workers are facing the worst U.S. drug epidemic in a generation without essential information about the nature of the problem or its scale.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/data-on-drug-use-is-disappearing-just-when-we-need-it-most/?ex_cid=538twitter

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-06-29, 23:52

I'm pretty sure I cathardically told you guys in another thread about three weeks ago, a girl at my daughters school, was on the dance team with my kid, decent student, went to her boyfriends home three days before she was to graduate, did some heroine, they fell asleep, she never woke up. Mom was planning a grad party and had to switch gears and planned a funeral.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-10, 09:52

BUFFALO, N.Y. — After three defendants fatally overdosed in a single week last year, it became clear that Buffalo's ordinary drug treatment court was no match for the heroin and painkiller crisis.

Now the city is experimenting with the nation's first opioid crisis intervention court, which can get users into treatment within hours of their arrest instead of days, requires them to check in with a judge every day for a month instead of once a week, and puts them on strict curfews. Administering justice takes a back seat to the overarching goal of simply keeping defendants alive.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/americas-heroin-epidemic/first-opioid-court-u-s-focuses-keeping-users-alive-n781121
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down