Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US denies visas to Afghanistan’s all-girl robotics team

4 posters

Go down

US denies visas to Afghanistan’s all-girl robotics team Empty US denies visas to Afghanistan’s all-girl robotics team

Post by Turtleneck Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:34 pm

It seems this is the very type of thing the US should be encouraging rather than discouraging.

US denies visas to Afghanistan’s all-girl robotics team
Six teenage girls from Afghanistan planned to come to the US to compete in the First Global Challenge robotics competition this month, but those plans were canceled after they were denied visas to enter the country. Forbes reports that the girls traveled 500 miles to Kabul for their visa interviews, and that their robot’s supplies were held in customs for months.

This kit, which the competition organizers issued to every participating team, included different components, like brackets, extrusions, fastening hardware, hardware adaptors, bearings, wheels of different sizes, gears, pulleys, motors, servos, and sprockets. The State Department feared ISIS might try to use these parts on the battlefield, which is why they delayed sending them to the girls.

Still, the team built a ball-sorting robot on a shortened timeline; their kit only arrived three weeks ago. More than 100 other teams have entered the competition, including participants from Iraq, Iran, and Sudan. The girls’ robot will still compete, but the team will only be able to watch over a video call from their homes in Herat, Afghanistan.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/30/15903206/afghanistan-robot-team-denied-us-visa
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

US denies visas to Afghanistan’s all-girl robotics team Empty Re: US denies visas to Afghanistan’s all-girl robotics team

Post by Rocinante Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:37 pm

I feel safe.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

US denies visas to Afghanistan’s all-girl robotics team Empty Re: US denies visas to Afghanistan’s all-girl robotics team

Post by Cameron Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:53 am

Seems like anti-Muslim immigration policies should focus exclusively on men, right? Has there ever been a terrorist attack carried out by a Muslim female? I can't think of any...
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:12 pm

Smart move, Mr. Trump.

Trump intervenes to grant rejected Afghan girls entry to U.S. for robot contest
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/12/trump-afghan-girls-robots-240474
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:42 pm

Turtleneck wrote:Smart move, Mr. Trump.

Cue Nigel up to remind you when you called him names.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:48 pm

LooseGoose wrote:

He is still worthy of any name I called him, and his smart move here does not mean he is suddenly a decent person with values and good character.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:46 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

He is still worthy of any name I called him, and his smart move here does not mean he is suddenly a decent person with values and good character.

So he's beyond redemption.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:21 pm

See Mr Trump, your policies are wrong. These girls had publicity on their side. There will be hundreds of bright eager people who would kick ass here that will be denied. It's the backwoods dumb asses who are frightened of academic competition.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:25 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Yes. You think he's going to fundamentally change who he is at this point in his life?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:28 pm

Cameron wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Yes. You think he's going to fundamentally change who he is at this point in his life?

Not likely but it has happened.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:32 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Nick Saban.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:34 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Has it? What 70+ year old man has had a sudden moral and ethical awakening that you can point me to as the blueprint?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:50 pm

Cameron wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Has it? What 70+ year old man has had a sudden moral and ethical awakening that you can point me to as the blueprint?

The 70year old part will have me thinking for a few days. I was referring to people like George Foreman and Chuck Colson .
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:27 pm

Guest wrote:
Cameron wrote:

The 70year old part will have me thinking for a few days. I was referring to people like George Foreman and Chuck Colson .

Are those Foreman grills still a thing?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down