Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you see colleges and universities as having a negative effect on the United States?

5 posters

Go down

Do you see colleges and universities as having a negative effect on the United States? Empty Do you see colleges and universities as having a negative effect on the United States?

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-10, 14:23

Do you see colleges and universities as having a negative effect on the United States? PP_17.06.30_institutions_lede_party

Do you see colleges and universities as having a negative effect on the United States? 1_3

Sharp Partisan Divisions in Views of National Institutions
http://www.people-press.org/2017/07/10/sharp-partisan-divisions-in-views-of-national-institutions/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Do you see colleges and universities as having a negative effect on the United States? Empty Re: Do you see colleges and universities as having a negative effect on the United States?

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-07-10, 14:37

I wish turtleneck read my posts in the hodge podge thread :(

Just kidding it's worth of its own thread also we're so fucked
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Do you see colleges and universities as having a negative effect on the United States? Empty Re: Do you see colleges and universities as having a negative effect on the United States?

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-10, 14:50

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I wish turtleneck read my posts in the hodge podge thread :(

Just kidding it's worth of its own thread also we're so fucked

I only opened that thread to post a couple of pics. It's not really my scene.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-07-10, 14:56

I dig
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-07-10, 15:11

I fully support America's Colleges and Universities. Well.....except for that one in Ann Arbor. and South Bend. and Columbus. and Slippery Rock.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-10, 15:17

LooseGoose wrote:I fully support America's Colleges and Universities. Well.....except for that one in Ann Arbor. and South Bend. and Columbus. and Slippery Rock.

SHUT. IT. DOWN.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-07-10, 15:32

So why do republicans think that now? I have a couple of theories.

1) the phrase "liberal arts" has officially confused them and they think it means something different.
2) Rush Limbaugh or Hannity has been on a tear about colleges and that's the result showing itself. I don't know if they have been or not, it's just a guess.
3) demographic shifts in who is a self labeled republican. For instance- macomb county voting for a republican and Oakland county voting for a democrat. Opposite land from the past. You can draw your own assumptions about how I think that might impact their views on education.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-10, 15:37

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:So why do republicans think that now? I have a couple of theories.

1) the phrase "liberal arts" has officially confused them and they think it means something different.
2) Rush Limbaugh or Hannity has been on a tear about colleges and that's the result showing itself. I don't know if they have been or not, it's just a guess.

Tom Nichols‏Verified account @RadioFreeTom
When people change their views of the impact of colleges in *one year*, that's not a trend, that's the effect of a drumbeat of propaganda.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-07-10, 19:52

Twice as many Republicans think positively about religious organizations than think positively about higher education? I really shouldn't be surprised that the difference is that vast, but I am. Fuck me.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-07-10, 20:02

Cameron wrote:Twice as many Republicans think positively about religious organizations than think positively about higher education? I really shouldn't be surprised that the difference is that vast, but I am. Fuck me.

Betsy DeVos. When poor people get smart they forget their place.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-07-10, 20:32

I really wonder how much of it is demographics. The propaganda is certainly most of it. But I have several friends who used to be republicans that no longer would identify as that for the purposes of that poll. So you take out a lot of people like that, add in a bunch of total idiots who don't know how the world works.....
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-13, 09:36

Why Do Republicans Suddenly Hate College So Much?
Whether it’s safe spaces and free-speech issues or Trump’s lack of interest in higher education, the ramifications for the nation’s economy and schools could be serious.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/07/why-do-republicans-suddenly-hate-colleges-so-much/533130/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-07-13, 09:40

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:So why do republicans think that now? I have a couple of theories.

3) demographic shifts in who is a self labeled republican. For instance- macomb county voting for a republican and Oakland county voting for a democrat. Opposite land from the past. You can draw your own assumptions about how I think that might impact their views on education.
as you know, republicans aren't big fans of education. They know that the more educated people are, the less likely they are to support their twisted, knuckle-dragging agenda.

hence their demonization of education, both K-12 and higher ed, over the years.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down