Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trump and the undisclosed Putin meeting with only a Russian interpreter present.

+7
NigelUno
steveschneider
Travis of the Cosmos
Robert J Sakimano
tGreenWay
kingstonlake
DWags
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Trump and the undisclosed Putin meeting with only a Russian interpreter present.   Empty Trump and the undisclosed Putin meeting with only a Russian interpreter present.

Post by DWags Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:31 pm

I mean, come on!

Let's jus say you got busted with weed and an illegal gun, before that you were accused of forcing sex on a girl, would you drive up to a strip club with weed and a sawed off in your car while an investigation of you was going on? I mean would anyone be that stupid? Nobody would do such an asinine thing. But Trump just doesn't seem to get it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Trump and the undisclosed Putin meeting with only a Russian interpreter present.   Empty Re: Trump and the undisclosed Putin meeting with only a Russian interpreter present.

Post by Guest Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:00 pm

Yeah.  Undisclosed.  Secret. At a dinner in front of a hundred witnesses.  Amazing the shit the media flogs and you people buy.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Trump and the undisclosed Putin meeting with only a Russian interpreter present.   Empty Re: Trump and the undisclosed Putin meeting with only a Russian interpreter present.

Post by Guest Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:03 pm

and oh.....golly gee....it WAS reported on long ago.   So another pack of lies and fake news.   Carry on lemmings.

Media outlets ranging from CBS to CNN and MSNBC had egg on their faces Tuesday night after their bombshell revelations about a supposedly new, “previously undisclosed” meeting between President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin fell flat upon reading a July 8 BuzzFeed news item.

Here’s the relevant excerpt from the BuzzFeed News item by BuzzFeed News Europe editor Alberto Nardelli, reporter Zahra Hirji, and staffer Amber Jamieson [emphasis mine]:

The US president began the meeting by asking Putin directly about Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election, US officials said. However, Putin denied Russia was responsible, and the two camps would appear to disagree on exactly what was said during the two-hour meeting.

BuzzFeed News understands that the two leaders engaged in another “long chat” right after a G20 dinner on Friday night, according to a source present.

First lady Melania Trump had been seated next to Putin at the dinner. Trump sat next to Juliana Awada, the first lady of Argentina.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:06 pm

LooseGoose wrote:and oh.....golly gee....it WAS reported on long ago.   So another pack of lies and fake news.   Carry on lemmings.

Media outlets ranging from CBS to CNN and MSNBC had egg on their faces Tuesday night after their bombshell revelations about a supposedly new, “previously undisclosed” meeting between President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin fell flat upon reading a July 8 BuzzFeed news item.

Here’s the relevant excerpt from the BuzzFeed News item by BuzzFeed News Europe editor Alberto Nardelli, reporter Zahra Hirji, and staffer Amber Jamieson [emphasis mine]:

The US president began the meeting by asking Putin directly about Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election, US officials said. However, Putin denied Russia was responsible, and the two camps would appear to disagree on exactly what was said during the two-hour meeting.

BuzzFeed News understands that the two leaders engaged in another “long chat” right after a G20 dinner on Friday night, according to a source present.

First lady Melania Trump had been seated next to Putin at the dinner. Trump sat next to Juliana Awada, the first lady of Argentina.

What did they talk about?

Oh yeah, forget it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:06 pm

I'd like examples of where ANY other President or politician has been held to this standard?

So, a dinner conversation in front of several world leaders now amounts to a secret, undisclosed meeting? If that’s the new standard, then doesn’t that fall under classification? Will the press need to have a hand-written copy of every single word uttered by the President when speaking with any foreign actor? Or is that just the standard as applied to Trump and not everyone else?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:06 pm

I doubt anybody wants to get close enough to a guy who finds 10yr olds attractive, admits to grabbing women's crotches whether they want it or not, and a guy who murders people, to have any clue what they were discussing in a language they don't know.

Just sayin.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:08 pm

kingstonlake wrote:I doubt anybody wants to get close enough to a guy who finds 10yr olds attractive, admits to grabbing women's crotches whether they want it or not, and a guy who murders people, to have any clue what they were discussing in a language they don't know.

Just sayin.

Smooth.

The press is proven to be lying and exaggerating again so you deflect rather than admit you fell for their bullshit.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:15 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:I doubt anybody wants to get close enough to a guy who finds 10yr olds attractive, admits to grabbing women's crotches whether they want it or not, and a guy who murders people, to have any clue what they were discussing in a language they don't know.

Just sayin.

Smooth.

The press is proven to be lying and exaggerating again so you deflect rather than admit you fell for their bullshit.

But but but OBAMA!!! CLINTON!!!
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:15 pm

I bet the sexual predator is terrified of the prostitute/pedophile/pee tapes.... Trump and the undisclosed Putin meeting with only a Russian interpreter present.   502811600 Trump and the undisclosed Putin meeting with only a Russian interpreter present.   502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:16 pm

LooseGoose wrote:I'd like examples of where ANY other President or politician has been held to this standard?

So, a dinner conversation in front of several world leaders now amounts to a secret, undisclosed meeting? If that’s the new standard, then doesn’t that fall under classification? Will the press need to have a hand-written copy of every single word uttered by the President when speaking with any foreign actor? Or is that just the standard as applied to Trump and not everyone else?

Like my example, I'd at least have had an American interpreter at my side.

You're probably missing the point on purpose, but I don't care if he talks to world leaders privately, happens all the time. But this guy chose to talk to Putin and not one other American was present was a dumb thing. It helps feed this. At least have another person there. Not a good look.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:21 pm

the best part is that the sexual predator regularly displays contempt for every aspect of American society but can't find a single bad thing to say about Russia or Putin...

hmmm.. Trump and the undisclosed Putin meeting with only a Russian interpreter present.   502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:21 pm

LooseGoose wrote:I'd like examples of where ANY other President or politician has been held to this standard?

The problem is that you're asking for something impossible since ANY other administration would have released information and notes about the meeting immediately after.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:22 pm

Just last week Trump was praising Jr's transparency and now he's trying to hide a meeting with Russia.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:25 pm

steveschneider wrote:Just last week Trump was praising Jr's transparency and now he's trying to hide a meeting with Russia.

I don't really think he tried to hide this one. I just think him and his administration are incompetent fucksticks and that incompetence draws a lot of scrutiny when they fuck up as they often do.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:29 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Just last week Trump was praising Jr's transparency and now he's trying to hide a meeting with Russia.

I don't really think he tried to hide this one. I just think him and his administration are incompetent fucksticks and that incompetence draws a lot of scrutiny when they fuck up as they often do.

Agree with you on the incompetent part. Should have disclosed this meeting.

Also, Russia has a record of this meeting and we don't. Complete amateur hour.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:35 pm

Experts in United States-Russia relations said such an encounter — even on an informal basis at a social event — was a concern because of its length, which suggested a substantive exchange, and because there was no note taker or national security or foreign policy aide present.

“We’re all going to be wondering what was said, and that’s where it’s unfortunate that there was no U.S. interpreter, because there is no independent American account of what happened,” said Steven Pifer, a former ambassador to Ukraine who also specializes in Russia and nuclear arms control.

“If I was in the Kremlin, my recommendation to Putin would be, ‘See if you can get this guy alone,’ and that’s what it sounds like he was able to do,” added Mr. Pifer, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution in Washington.

At least have someone else with you.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:46 pm

LooseGoose wrote:

Just sayin.

Smooth.

Did you fall for the bullshit about where that Russian lady was sitting at the meeting and who placed her in that spot?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:56 pm

DWags wrote:Experts in United States-Russia relations said such an encounter — even on an informal basis at a social event — was a concern because of its length, which suggested a substantive exchange, and because there was no note taker or national security or foreign policy aide present.

“We’re all going to be wondering what was said, and that’s where it’s unfortunate that there was no U.S. interpreter, because there is no independent American account of what happened,” said Steven Pifer, a former ambassador to Ukraine who also specializes in Russia and nuclear arms control.

“If I was in the Kremlin, my recommendation to Putin would be, ‘See if you can get this guy alone,’ and that’s what it sounds like he was able to do,” added Mr. Pifer, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution in Washington.

The other thing that I believe Ian Bremmer got exactly right is how odd it is that Trump would be so warm to Putin right in front of our allies. He's lobbed insults at many of the leaders in the room that our are allies and he's chumming it up with a dictator from a hostile foreign power.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:59 pm

steveschneider wrote:
DWags wrote:Experts in United States-Russia relations said such an encounter — even on an informal basis at a social event — was a concern because of its length, which suggested a substantive exchange, and because there was no note taker or national security or foreign policy aide present.

The other thing that I believe Ian Bremmer got exactly right is how odd it is that Trump would be so warm to Putin right in front of our allies. He's lobbed insults at many of the leaders in the room that our are allies and he's chumming it up with a dictator from a hostile foreign power.

And yet the old guard Nixon/Reagan guys don't have a problem with it. It's a bit stunning actually.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:00 pm

Has any other President met with Putin without (at least) having an interpreter?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:05 pm

I hate using this buzz word Nigel, but you're correct, the "optics" of it just look bad.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:06 pm

LooseGoose wrote:Yeah.  Undisclosed.  Secret. At a dinner in front of a hundred witnesses.  Amazing the shit the media flogs and you people buy.

Did you think it was standard procedure to bar US media from the White House meeting with the Russian Ambassador and other Russian officials and let TASS and a TASS photographer be the only media allowed?

If you think its wise for any US President to hold a meeting with any foreign leader where English isn't the first language of that leader's country you are naive.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:12 pm

DWags wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

And yet the old guard Nixon/Reagan guys don't have a problem with it. It's a bit stunning actually.

That is not true. A lot of old guard conservative do not support this at all. There's a long list of died in wool conservatives that are part of the never Trump movement that have left the party. George Will, David Frum, David Brooks, Brett Stephens, Joe Scarborough and many more. Go through Bill Maher's season and he has many more former RNC people on that do not stand with this president.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:23 pm

If there had been an official interpreter from the US State Department present this would be a flash in the pan.

However there wasn't and this White House has a history of delaying, obfuscating and lying so there is justified concern.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:29 pm

steveschneider wrote:
DWags wrote:

That is not true. A lot of old guard conservative do not support this at all. There's a long list of died in wool conservatives that are part of the never Trump movement that have left the party. George Will, David Frum, David Brooks, Brett Stephens, Joe Scarborough and many more. Go through Bill Maher's season and he has many more former RNC people on that do not stand with this president.

I was thinking of man on the street rather than intellectuals. But I'll concede your point. However don't you think some conservatives have changed in that regard?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:31 pm

flashback to when the mainstream media was upset about the mustard a black man put on his burger..

Trump and the undisclosed Putin meeting with only a Russian interpreter present.   Original

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:22 pm

DWags wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I was thinking of man on the street rather than intellectuals. But I'll concede your point. However don't you think some conservatives have changed in that regard?

Yeah, I hear what you are saying. I think basically the Fox News crowd is still with him to the bitter end.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:34 pm

https://twitter.com/edatpost/status/887748113368219651

What's next give back two confiscated buildings?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:50 pm

Nah, never has a President been held to standard or scrutinized as much as Trump has

Sincerely,

Donald Trump and the birthers.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:51 pm

I'm sure their chat with no American official present wasn't anything more than Putin updating Trump on their efforts to commit treason during the election. No biggy.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:03 pm

kingstonlake wrote:

Nah, never has a President been held to standard or scrutinized as much as Trump has

Sincerely,

Donald Trump and the birthers.

Hahaha!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:13 pm

Guys?

It was just a brief, normal conversation between 2 world leaders (according to the White House).

Except...it wasn't really brief nor normal...

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:22 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

The problem is that you're asking for something impossible since ANY other administration would have released information and notes about the meeting immediately after.

Not true. Or better yet link me to transcripts of Bush I or Bush II's after dinner conversations. That way I won't get the stupid "Obama!" or "Clinton!" responses.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:23 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:flashback to when the mainstream media was upset about the mustard a black man put on his burger..

Trump and the undisclosed Putin meeting with only a Russian interpreter present.   Original

Or the ketchup he put on his steak....imagine that.

The mustard was one idiot...the ketchup was the whole press corp.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:24 pm

steveschneider wrote:https://twitter.com/edatpost/status/887748113368219651

Wait....to clarify....now you support troops on the ground in Syria?

the flip flopping Wags talks about goes both ways.

Trump is getting us OUT of ground wars and that's now a problem.

doesn't matter what he does, you oppose it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:26 pm

Had Obama not gotten us into that war, Trump wouldn't have to be getting us out.

He needs to pull troops from 3-4 more countries.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:37 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
steveschneider wrote:https://twitter.com/edatpost/status/887748113368219651

Wait....to clarify....now you support troops on the ground in Syria?

the flip flopping Wags talks about goes both ways.

Trump is getting us OUT of ground wars and that's now a problem.

doesn't matter what he does, you oppose it.

Does arming anti-Assad rebels = US troops on the ground?  

Can you seriously explain how you reached that conclusion?

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:52 pm

LooseGoose wrote:Yeah.  Undisclosed.  Secret.   At a dinner in front of a hundred witnesses.  Amazing the shit the media flogs and you people buy.

I did not read through the thread so this might have been mentioned, but from a procedural standpoint - from what is recognized protocol - it was fucking stupid. You do not have any kind of lengthy discussion with the leader of a rival power without A) your own translator, and B) notes on what was discussed. If the other person says no to those things, you say no to the discussion. It is that simple.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:00 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:flashback to when the mainstream media was upset about the mustard a black man put on his burger..

Or the ketchup he put on his steak....imagine that.

The mustard was one idiot...the ketchup was the whole press corp.

To be fair, ordering a steak well-done with ketchup is basically a war crime compared to putting grey poupon on a burger. Huge difference in degree.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:18 pm

I fondly remember all the lunatics creaming their pants whenever Obama did as little as shake the hand of an Arab leader. And this dip shit is chumming it up in russian with an enemy that his admin is under investigation for potential treason.

Lol. And. It's. Just. Not. A. Big. Deal.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next