Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Inexpensive Vacation Ideas

+8
pulling69
Frank Ricard
Turtleneck
NigelUno
The Pantry
WhiteBoyHatcher
Travis of the Cosmos
Dendrobates
12 posters

Go down

Inexpensive Vacation Ideas Empty Inexpensive Vacation Ideas

Post by Dendrobates 2017-08-25, 22:19

I have a free plane ticket through my credit card that expires at the end of he year. We are thinking of doing something early October (while I'm still on maternity leave). The plane ticket is only good for the continental US. I was hoping to spend some time on a beach. I get that doesn't leave a ton of places for October. One place we were thinking is Key West. We could get some nice weather/beach and plenty of outdoor activities. Only thing is, we've been to Florida a lot (not the keys though), and would rather go someplace entirely where we've never been.

So anyone have some ideas, thoughts, or input for this? 

Side note...baby will not be with us. She will be in the hands of my mom and his parents while we are gone.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Inexpensive Vacation Ideas Empty Re: Inexpensive Vacation Ideas

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-08-25, 22:27

Corpus Christi.

Too soon? Actually.... probably not soon enough. I don't even know if I'm being insensitive yet. Anyway. Literally anywhere that isn't some stupid shit like Wyoming could be fun. I'd probably go to California somewhere but that's just me.

Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-08-25, 22:40

Why you hating on Wyoming bro? Tetons are f'ing amazing.

Not a beach person so I got nothing for you really. Clearwater is supposed to have some great beaches. Tampa is an easy flight, as well.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2017-08-25, 22:42

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Corpus Christi.

Too soon? Actually.... probably not soon enough. I don't even know if I'm being insensitive yet. Anyway. Literally anywhere that isn't some stupid shit like Wyoming could be fun. I'd probably go to California somewhere but that's just me.

We did LA 3 years ago. So we were hoping to avoid that. San Diego would be cool, but it may not be the temp I'm wanting in Oct. I don't know, maybe it would be. Also, California might be a bit pricey for us right now.

I would say no, not to soon in regards to Texas. But we don't know the damage yet. So because of that, I would say it's too soon.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-08-25, 22:43

Assuming no developing hurricane, Sanibel or Captiva Island off Fort Myers. Very relaxing. Love Captiva, especially.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-08-25, 22:46

Torrey Pines.

Inexpensive Vacation Ideas Torrey-pines-state-beach-photograph-27255-639819
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-08-25, 22:49

I would probably go to Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party at the Magic Kingdom. But that's just me.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-08-25, 22:53

Ask Travis about Cincinnati.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-08-25, 22:56

Turtleneck wrote:Ask Travis about Cincinnati.

I haven't been in more than a year :(
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-08-25, 22:57

Shittiest chili in the World.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-08-25, 23:01

The Pantry wrote:

It is super shitty and weird. Noodles, scoop of chili with a pound of cheese on top. I got it once cause it's like the thing but fuck... it was gross.

Inexpensive Vacation Ideas Ways
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-08-25, 23:06

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

It is super shitty and weird. Noodles, scoop of chili with a pound of cheese on top. I got it once cause it's like the thing but fuck... it was gross.

Inexpensive Vacation Ideas Ways
Thank you. At least we agree on one thing.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-08-25, 23:13

The Pantry wrote:

He went to Cincinnati once and will not stop talking about it. It is as if he had never left Taylor or wherever he is from.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-08-25, 23:16

Turtleneck wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

He went to Cincinnati once and will not stop talking about it. It is as if he had never left Taylor or wherever he is from.

When you are on death row one day and you ask for your last meal I'm going to make sure you get nothing other than a serving of skyline chili with a side of skyline chili and to drink, blended skyline chili and almond milk.

Please stop ruining the thread.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2017-08-25, 23:18

God damn it. I wanted some real ideas.

I guess I should have known better.

Anyone been to Key West?
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-08-25, 23:22

Dendrobates wrote:God damn it. I wanted some real ideas.

Anyone been to Key West?

No, but you said you've been to Florida a bunch... I mean how much different are you looking for here?

October- I vote San Diego but I don't know shit about it. South Carolina? How hot we looking for here? March I'm personally looking for toasty hot. October I'm looking for a taste of the summer that has past, but not the shitty steamy part.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-08-25, 23:26

Turtleneck wrote:

When you are on death row one day and you ask for your last meal I'm going to make sure you get nothing other than a serving of skyline chili with a side of skyline chili and to drink, blended skyline chili and almond milk.

Please stop ruining the thread.

I was on Death Roe last night.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-08-25, 23:27

Anyone been to Key West?
Perhaps this is what you want to know...?

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard 2017-08-26, 01:46

If you want a beach in Oct, FL might really be your only realistic choice.  We've been to FL way too many times too, so I get that.  One of times we went we stayed at a high rise condo literally right on Siesta Key Beach near Sarasota.  Beautiful white sand and nice sunsets.  You can rent jet ski's, go on those parachute rides, paddle boards, deep sea fishing charters, dolphin boat excursions, etc.

They had a downtown that was beach related restaurants, bars, live music.  Nothing spectacular, but since it's Oct, you've really limited your choices.  Wasn't that expensive and with you already having the travel arraignments, this might be affordable - something around $2,500 including condo, rental car and food.  

Another place we've been to just down the road is Sanibel Island.  A couple of resorts that are right on the beach, but the one negative I had is that there were more kids at those places than the condos at Siesta.  Plus, there's really not much of a night life on the island itself.  Some restaurants, but it seemed Siesta Key had more when it came to that department. It had more nature trails, if that's a thing for you. Personally at my age, I liked the nature stuff more than the 'night life' stuff, but either way can be good. Getting warm and relaxed either way.

Been to LA, but not San Diego.  I'd really like to go and if you're willing to spend just a little bit more, I'd recommend  So Cal, especially since the air travel is already covered.  Just a warning, the Pacific is typically much cooler than the Gulf or Atlantic.

Last edited by Frank Ricard on 2017-08-26, 01:58; edited 2 times in total
Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2017-08-26, 01:47

Hows about using the free airfare to get to a port city and then doing a cruise? Should be pretty cheap in October.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-08-26, 07:07

Key West in October has some parties. I've never been. I'd recommend doing something like marathon, that way you're in the middle of the keys. It's a long drive from Miami, but very scenic. If you haven't been, do it, doesn't feel like Florida.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-08-26, 07:37

Anyone been to Key West?

No, but you said you've been to Florida a bunch... I mean how much different are you looking for here?

October- I vote San Diego but I don't know shit about it. South Carolina? How hot we looking for here? March I'm personally looking for toasty hot. October I'm looking for a taste of the summer that has past, but not the shitty steamy part.

Could have sworn I dropped a picture of Torrey Pines Beach in here somewhere.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-08-26, 07:59

Florida Keys are the best bet for beach weather. San Diego is great but by mid October its going to be cool.

I'd fly into SFO or OAK and schlep around Napa. Every place has got a heated pool and you can "explore" wine country.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-08-26, 17:00

I don't think you can get a direct flight to Key West, but I could be wrong. We've been a couple of times and had to go to ATL and take another flight to get to our destination.
Truth is, I love Key West, but it is very touristy in a Mackinac Island/t-shirt shops kind of way, at least Duval St. is, and that's the most popular street to walk. There are things to do that you pay for (sunset cruise, parasailing, fishing, etc.,) and a few places to visit that you can walk to (Hemingway House with their mutant fucking cats, Truman Annex, Southernmost Point, Octogon House, Sloppy Joe's, Mile 0 sign, etc.).

You specifically mentioned beaches, and KW isn't known for their great beaches. All the sand is trucked in from elsewhere, and it's not sand--it's ground up shell/coral and pebbles. There are definitely beaches for you to lay out, but I would bet there are other keys with better beaches and as Pantry said, Fort Myers area has great beaches, though I've only heard that because I've never been.

Food is great all over KW because of the access to fresh sea dwellers, and there are a couple of mom and pop restaurants with killer Cuban food, too.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-08-26, 17:03

DM me if you have specific questions. I know someone who grew up there, and if I can't answer, then I can ask her.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-08-26, 17:23

Key West and Inexpensive Vacation ideas don't really go together. Basic chain hotels are usually much more than you would expect anywhere else. But if you want to gout to the bars and party, it's a good place. Nice, scenic 3 hour drive from Miami, but your free plane ticket may allow you to connect and fly right into Key West. That's usually an expensive connection. Intensity is right, it doesn't feel like Florida.

Sanibel or Captiva that a couple people mentioned are great, too. We were just at Sanibel last weekend, and go once or twice per year. Much quieter and less crowded than Key West, but not a big party place if you want that. Probably some good deals, especially mid-week.

Keep in mind that October is still very much hurricane season. Chances are you won't catch a hurricane, but the reason there is a hurricane season is because the tropics are stirred up. If you count too much on the sun and the beach, it's risky, but if you're cool going with the flow and maybe having to stay in and just bang all day here or there, then you'll be fine.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down