Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any ideas how Izzo fixes this?

+13
Pervis Muldoon
The Pantry
GRR Spartan
AvgMSUJoe
Trapper Gus
Other Teams Pursuing That
Robert J Sakimano
gomersbro
NigelUno
Nordic
kingstonlake
Cameron
DWags
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Any ideas how Izzo fixes this?   Empty Any ideas how Izzo fixes this?

Post by DWags 2022-02-22, 20:44

I mean what are reasonable goals for this team? Reasonable discussion wanted. If you think he can’t fix it that’s fair but say why. It’s getting damn late in the year.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Any ideas how Izzo fixes this?   Empty Re: Any ideas how Izzo fixes this?

Post by Cameron 2022-02-22, 20:47

I don't think he fixes it this year. But I like a lot of the young guys. If Hoggard keeps progressing, he could be one of our leaders and best players next year, and Izzo's teams always seem to do best with that sort of PG.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay, DWags and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-02-22, 21:05

Thanks Cam
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-02-22, 21:20

He needs to have a serious talk with Gabe Brown. Not sure I’ve seen a guy regress as much as him. Something like, “Hey Gabe. I really hope you’re doing well academically”.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

DWags, AvgMSUJoe and Pervis Muldoon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2022-02-22, 22:12

Pretty much what Cam said. But one thing I would focus on is getting Gabe going.

He looked great the first half of the season. He's in a complete funk now and he's trying to shoot his way out of it. He jacked five 3s tonight. Most were good looks. Need a different approach.

Gotta get his confidence and energy back. Set some plays for him to get some looks closer to the basket. Put him in a position to get a low post dump off, a mid-range jumper, an alley-oop (is that how you spell it?), a put back, etc. Get him moving instead of having him hover for 3s. Get a couple easy ones, get some Gabe energy going, get his confidence up. You can scheme it, instead hoping he starts hitting shots.

I'm not putting this all on Gabe. Everyone is a funk. He's our energy guy. Something the team can feed off of. Get him going and the team will follow. Izzo needs to put him in a position to succeed.

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2022-02-22, 22:15

After I'm done scheming some cutters for Gabe, I would buy plane ticket to Denver and Howard-slap OTPT.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay, Rocinante and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-02-23, 02:29

Nordic wrote:Pretty much what Cam said. But one thing I would focus on is getting Gabe going.

He looked great the first half of the season.  He's in a complete funk now and he's trying to shoot his way out of it. He jacked five 3s tonight. Most were good looks. Need a different approach.

Gotta get his confidence and energy back. Set some plays for him to get some looks closer to the basket. Put him in a position to get a low post dump off, a mid-range jumper, an alley-oop (is that how you spell it?), a put back, etc. Get him moving instead of having him hover for 3s. Get a couple easy ones, get some Gabe energy going, get his confidence up. You can scheme it, instead hoping he starts hitting shots.

I'm not putting this all on Gabe. Everyone is a funk. He's our energy guy. Something the team can feed off of. Get him going and the team will follow. Izzo needs to put him in a position to succeed.

I get he’s not shooting well but a kid with his natural ability and length should average more than 4 rebounds and 1 assist per game.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2022-02-23, 08:19

kingstonlake wrote:
Nordic wrote:Pretty much what Cam said. But one thing I would focus on is getting Gabe going.

He looked great the first half of the season.  He's in a complete funk now and he's trying to shoot his way out of it. He jacked five 3s tonight. Most were good looks. Need a different approach.

I get he’s not shooting well but a kid with his natural ability and length should average more than 4 rebounds and 1 assist per game.

Kinda my point. He needs to get dirty and not hang out for 3s. It's up to Izzo to force this.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-02-23, 08:40

Nordic wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Kinda my point. He needs to get dirty and not hang out for 3s. It's up to Izzo to force this.

The problem is steve's modern offense. Gotta go back to the old one.

I'd like to see Gabe try at least one Steve Smith tomahawk dunk every game. Drive the ball to the rim.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gomersbro 2022-02-23, 08:54

Hopefully quickly. It is the end of February not the beginning so this is starting to become Izzo time.

I wish they would try some backdoor lob for Brown to get him going. For as good a shooter he is, just seeing the ball go through the basket a couple times could really help his confidence. A dunk or free throws could do that.
gomersbro
Spartiate

Trapper Gus and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-02-23, 10:12

DWags wrote:I mean what are reasonable goals for this team?   Reasonable discussion wanted. If you think he can’t fix it that’s fair but say why.  It’s getting damn late in the year.
I've had some hope up until last night. Iowa played really well and I can't take that from them, but this is not a traditional MSU team. I just don't see anyone with that grit and fight that is such a trademark of MSU basketball.

it's not X's and O's. Izzo can't make them into something they're not. I think the best case scenario is (somehow) winning two of the next four, maybe one game in the BTT, building a little momentum, confidence and maybe winning their opening game in the NCAA tournament.

I think that's the best case scenario and, at this point, I'd give it about a 15-20% chance of happening.

I haven't given up on them, and I'll always watch MSU hoops, but I can honestly say that my expectations are pretty low for the rest of this season.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2022-02-23, 10:14

Nordic wrote:After I'm done scheming some cutters for Gabe, I would buy plane ticket to Denver and Howard-slap OTPT.

I JLS slapped myself after betting on this team again last night.
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-02-23, 10:15

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:I mean what are reasonable goals for this team?   Reasonable discussion wanted. If you think he can’t fix it that’s fair but say why.  It’s getting damn late in the year.
I've had some hope up until last night. Iowa played really well and I can't take that from them, but this is not a traditional MSU team. I just don't see anyone with that grit and fight that is such a trademark of MSU basketball.

it's not X's and O's. Izzo can't make them into something they're not. I think the best case scenario is (somehow) winning two of the next four, maybe one game in the BTT, building a little momentum, confidence and maybe winning their opening game in the NCAA tournament.

I think that's the best case scenario and, at this point, I'd give it about a 15-20% chance of happening.

I haven't given up on them, and I'll always watch MSU hoops, but I can honestly say that my expectations are pretty low for the rest of this season.

This team has falling from "something special" to "I hope they get Izzo his record-breaking win and don't end the NCAA streak" in my mind.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Robert J Sakimano and Foghorn Leghorn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-02-23, 11:08

Tom Izzo says changes will be made after Michigan State's blowout loss at Iowa
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-02-23, 11:54

Wife got tickets to Purdue this weekend. First time I'm really not looking forward to it.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-02-23, 12:03

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Wife got tickets to Purdue this weekend. First time I'm really not looking forward to it.

Reverse Jinx!

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2022-02-23, 12:04

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Wife got tickets to Purdue this weekend. First time I'm really not looking forward to it.

Is this when I’m supposed to call you an asshole?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2022-02-23, 12:05

I'm beginning to think all is not well in Izzoville and it started awhile back.

A couple of things stick out.

Foster's move to The Portal and subsequent transfer that went without the typical "I have decided to continue my college basketball career at (fill in the blank) or make mysel eligible for the NBA draft like Kithier and Henry from the same class.

Dane Fife leaving for IU as the other. I think he looked at where he was after 9-10 years, Izzo wasn't going to leave any time soon making the IU offer to be Woodson's first chair.

After that I don't think Izzo has forgotten to coach as much as the players haven't progressed. Houser isnt the contributor expected etc. Recruiting is black art. You see 18-19 year old accomplishments and project.

On top of college transfer rules changing, prep schools and ease of HS transfers have changed the landscape. As an example Ty Rodgers, (Jason Richardson's nephew) recently signed his LOI to play for Illinois. Rodgers grew up in Saginaw then moved to Grand Blanc for HS.As a 3 year starter he led Grand Blance to a 2021 state title as a junior. Then moves to Harvey IL to attend Thorton Township HS as a senior. Much different recruiting landscape than the one where Izzo thrived.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-02-23, 12:10

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Nordic wrote:After I'm done scheming some cutters for Gabe, I would buy plane ticket to Denver and Howard-slap OTPT.

I JLS slapped myself after betting on this team again last night.

You’ll go on a run. No worries.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2022-02-23, 13:21

#skullfuck (Purdue, not tWife)
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-02-23, 13:32

I’ll be there. Go Green. Sounds like my daughter and her boyfriend are joining me, The couple we have season tickets with are also bailing out And hitting Florida a week early. My wife says she’s not going. She’s upset with Izzo.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-02-23, 14:51

DWags wrote:

I’ll be there. Go Green. Sounds like my daughter and her boyfriend are joining me, The couple we have season tickets with are also bailing out And hitting Florida a week early. My wife says she’s not going. She’s upset with Izzo.

He gone.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-02-23, 15:53

DWags wrote:

Bob will go!
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-02-23, 17:58

No fixes. Count it as an off year and look forward to next.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-02-23, 18:14

The Pantry wrote:No fixes. Count it as an off year and look forward to next.

Two words.

Trust Izzo
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry, DWags and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-02-23, 19:17

sorry otpt, this is an emotional time for all of us.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2022-02-23, 20:18

AvgMSUJoe wrote:

sorry otpt, this is an emotional time for all of us.

No problem bro. We aren’t used to this. Any ideas how Izzo fixes this?   969504605
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-02-24, 10:50

Hoops Moneyball:

Gotta keep Stefanovic under 10 points. He has 3, 7, 8, and 9 in their losses (@ UM, @ IU, Wisconsin, @ Rutgers). Purdue is 15-0 when he gets more than 9 points.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-02-24, 17:36

So, what are we thinking on the "changes"?

Hall starts?

Hoggard and Walker start?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-02-24, 17:39

Hoggard, Walker, Hall, Hauser and Marble.

Leave them in until half.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2022-02-25, 09:50

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Hoggard, Walker, Hall, Hauser and Marble.

Leave them in until half.

Maybe try not subbing in and out every 2 minutes.
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-02-25, 11:06

So I’ve told you guys about my basketball coaching career. As th A.D. my JV basketball coach had to take a leave because his wife had a baby. I coached three games? Cant remember. We lost, but I didn’t give a shit a out fouls. 3 4 fouls. Who GAF? Doesn’t do any good getting cold on the bench. If they foul out, we’ll cross that bridge later. My varsity coach laughed at me but I told him to stfu I was his boss. (We we’re good friends)

Anyway, that’s my bitch about Izzo. What good does a starter do sitting out the last 12 minutes of the first half? They lose Time now and fall behind and don’t have any flow or they keep playing and if they foul out you deal with it when or if they do.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-02-25, 17:22

DWags wrote:So I’ve told you guys about my basketball coaching career. As th A.D. my JV basketball coach had to take a leave because his wife had a baby. I coached three games? Cant remember. We lost, but I didn’t give a shit a out fouls. 3 4 fouls. Who GAF? Doesn’t do any good getting cold on the bench. If they foul out, we’ll cross that bridge later. My varsity coach laughed at me but I told him to stfu I was his boss. (We we’re good friends)

Anyway, that’s my bitch about Izzo. What good does a starter do sitting out the last 12 minutes of the first half? They lose Time now and fall behind and don’t have any flow or they keep playing and if they foul out you deal with it when or if they do.

Maybe that will be the change.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-02-26, 16:43

Trapper Gus wrote:
The Pantry wrote:No fixes. Count it as an off year and look forward to next.

Two words.

Trust Izzo

Bump
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-02-26, 16:47

kingstonlake wrote:
DWags wrote:

He gone.

My wife has sent my daughter and I a text message. She’s happy that Izzo Obviously has conducted better practices this week. I’m not sure because I’m not home yet but it seems the old girl just might have forgiven Izzo’s. We’ll see
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-02-26, 17:24

This team is an outside jump shooting team whose offense seems to fade as the game goes on.  These guys need to learn how to make those shots when they are tired.

In this game as in others the last 8 minutes were brutal.  Very, very happy they won.

Last edited by Trapper Gus on 2022-02-27, 08:59; edited 2 times in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-02-26, 17:38

NigelUno wrote:Hoops Moneyball:

Gotta keep Stefanovic under 10 points. He has 3, 7, 8, and 9 in their losses (@ UM, @ IU, Wisconsin, @ Rutgers). Purdue is 15-0 when he gets more than 9 points.

2 points today.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-02-26, 18:47

Dwags, we gotta work on aligning our fonts for future games.
If I go with Impact and you come in all SanSerif, it just looks goofy.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-02-26, 19:30

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Dwags, we gotta work on aligning our fonts for future games.

Way goofier than me whipping my shirt off and throwing it at the reff while going bare chested the rest of the game with my beer belly flopping around?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-02-26, 19:40

DWags wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:Dwags, we gotta work on aligning our fonts for future games.

Way goofier than me whipping my shirt off and throwing it at the reff while going bare chested the rest of the game with my beer belly flopping around?
No, that's  as expected as the old dancing lady and a lame half time show.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next