Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wakes: God bless you, but this is exactly why I've discouraged my kids from going into education.

5 posters

Go down

Wakes:  God bless you, but this is exactly why I've discouraged my kids from going into education. Empty Wakes: God bless you, but this is exactly why I've discouraged my kids from going into education.

Post by DWags Fri 3 Nov 2017 - 10:55

I shouldn't say discourage, but, I've never encouraged it like my father did with me.   it's assholes like this that don't realize they've ruined public education and keep cutting and cutting and increasingly making standardized tests the end all be all, and basically, kicking teachers in the nuts because they didn't like the teachers union. 

There are more than 5,000 fewer certified teachers in Michigan than there were in 2004, and the number of newly certified ones last year was barely a third of what it once was.
Wakes:  God bless you, but this is exactly why I've discouraged my kids from going into education. Jack_lessenberry_logo2017
Knollenberg professed to be shocked, absolutely shocked by this.
“Why hasn’t this been addressed?” he asked. “Who is responsible? It certainly isn’t coming from lawmakers.”
Well, senator, permit me to explain.
You are, indeed, responsible. You and your colleagues, mostly Republicans, like yourself.
You have spent the last seven years attacking teachers and cutting their salaries and benefits and pensions. The Michigan Department of Education reported last year that the average teacher salary in our state declined for the fifth straight year.
(For more on teacher pay in Michigan, see our web series on the subject.)
David Crim, a spokesman for the Michigan Education Association, told me that many destructive things have led to our teacher shortage, beginning with Governor Snyder and the Legislature cutting a billion dollars from the elementary and secondary education budget seven years ago to give businesses a massive tax cut.
Additionally, Knollenberg’s colleagues passed a law five years ago that allows districts to choose not to move teachers up on the salary schedule every year. Traditionally, beginning teachers weren’t paid very much, but knew that if they performed well, they’d get a little more annually until they reached something like a middle-class lifestyle.

Then there are the efforts by lawmakers at weakening public education in favor of charter schools, many operated by for-profit companies that can donate to their campaigns.

"Senator Knollenberg: "Why, I'm shocked, absolutely shocked, gambling and drinking are going on in here"
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Wakes:  God bless you, but this is exactly why I've discouraged my kids from going into education. Empty Re: Wakes: God bless you, but this is exactly why I've discouraged my kids from going into education.

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 3 Nov 2017 - 11:30

it's a tough profession and is only likely to get tougher as society turns its priorities away from the most vulnerable among us.

sad and unfortunate.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Wakes:  God bless you, but this is exactly why I've discouraged my kids from going into education. Empty Re: Wakes: God bless you, but this is exactly why I've discouraged my kids from going into education.

Post by GRR Spartan Fri 3 Nov 2017 - 12:56

One of my good friends is happy his son has deferred his student teaching at WMU and decided to continue working full time for the Kzoo based office furniture distributor first as a grunt and now as a delivery/set up supervisor.

His father is a 35 year teacher with a masters and had advised him not to major in education.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake Fri 3 Nov 2017 - 15:14

The entire education system in the US is completely fucked. People always bitch about funding but don't realize the root cause of the problem is more about structure and method than how much money we're spending (though I think money is a smaller part of the problem for sure).
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 3 Nov 2017 - 15:20

AnomanderRake wrote:The entire education system in the US is completely fucked. People always bitch about funding but don't realize the root cause of the problem is more about structure and method than how much money we're spending (though I think money is a smaller part of the problem for sure).
money and funding is an issue, for sure - but you're correct about educational structure and methodology. Often, though, it's difficult to reassess and restructure when you're underfunded.

which is the whole point of the modern anti-education movement. They set public education up to fail and then highlight the failures of a system they intentionally subverted as a crumbling entity that needs to be completely remodeled in a predetermined vision that disenfranchises the most vulnerable.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Fri 3 Nov 2017 - 15:39

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
AnomanderRake wrote:The entire education system in the US is completely fucked. People always bitch about funding but don't realize the root cause of the problem is more about structure and method than how much money we're spending (though I think money is a smaller part of the problem for sure).
money and funding is an issue, for sure - but you're correct about educational structure and methodology. Often, though, it's difficult to reassess and restructure when you're underfunded.

which is the whole point of the modern anti-education movement. They set public education up to fail and then highlight the failures of a system they intentionally subverted as a crumbling entity that needs to be completely remodeled in a predetermined vision that disenfranchises the most vulnerable.

This . It's insane what I had to deal with in high school. Northwest (Jackson) was falling apart everywhere, yet the bonds would fail to pass every year. And you would see large signs in people's yards to vote no for the school bonds because their taxes would go up a whole $10. Except we literally had ceiling tiles fall on our heads, very few working toilets (and even most in the women's didn't have doors), furnace was always broken (wearing winter coats in class was necessary), and they turned janitors closets into small classrooms. These were just a few things that I had to deal with. While Northwest wasn't an amazing school, it wasn't in a terrible ghetto area. This shit shouldn't happen. In addition to the shit salaries that teachers make as well. I wouldn't advise my daughter to get into teaching either. Even though I highly respect and appreciate what they do for students.

For the record, a bond finally passed after I graduated.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down