Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What’s for dinner at your thanksgiving?

+11
Izzo Court
Watch Out Pylon!
tGreenWay
Rocinante
Floyd Robertson
Travis of the Cosmos
The Pantry
Other Teams Pursuing That
NigelUno
Robert J Sakimano
Dendrobates
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What’s for dinner at your thanksgiving? Empty What’s for dinner at your thanksgiving?

Post by Dendrobates 2017-11-17, 09:10

Anyone have any different /unique food sides your family does for thanksgiving?

My family always does a dish a Michigan small curd cottage cheese with onions(salt and pepper added). It sounds gross but is really good. Although that side is done for albholidag dinners.

We also do a cucumber salad (grandparents recipe).

And parsnips are another one. Sliced and boiled half way, then fried in butter until brown and soft. They’re really good too. I could eat those all the time, but cutting parsnips is a bitch.

What do you guys have and tell me details so I can use them.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What’s for dinner at your thanksgiving? Empty Re: What’s for dinner at your thanksgiving?

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-11-17, 09:17

we always hang out with friends on Thanksgiving.. have done it for probably the last 15-18 years. Maybe more. They're responsible for the turkey.. and my wife, daughter and I each make/take a side dish of some sort.

my area of expertise is a homemade mac and cheese. My wife often whips up some sort of sweet potato thing and our daughter will rock a dessert.

I'm short on deets. I could PM you the mac and cheese recipe.. it's Alton Brown's with a few Bobby Sak twists thrown in.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What’s for dinner at your thanksgiving? Empty Re: What’s for dinner at your thanksgiving?

Post by NigelUno 2017-11-17, 09:19

Thinking about not doing turkey.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-11-17, 09:22

Won’t be in Michigan with most of my family, but brisket.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-11-17, 09:28

Mashed rutabaga. Excellent with turkey gravy.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2017-11-17, 11:56

Robert J Sakimano wrote:we always hang out with friends on Thanksgiving.. have done it for probably the last 15-18 years. Maybe more. They're responsible for the turkey.. and my wife, daughter and I each make/take a side dish of some sort.

my area of expertise is a homemade mac and cheese. My wife often whips up some sort of sweet potato thing and our daughter will rock a dessert.

I'm short on deets. I could PM you the mac and cheese recipe.. it's Alton Brown's with a few Bobby Sak twists thrown in.

I could use a good Mac n cheese recipe. I would be interested in. I like that idea as a side too!
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2017-11-17, 11:57

NigelUno wrote:Thinking about not doing turkey.

I never had turkey at thanksgiving until I met my husband. My family always did a roast chicken, because my grandpa was the chief, and he hated turkey.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2017-11-17, 11:58

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Won’t be in Michigan with most of my family, but brisket.

Another good idea!

The Pantry wrote:Mashed rutabaga.  Excellent with turkey gravy.

Never had it. But I would try it.

Damn I’m hungry right now.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-11-17, 12:09

Ive been trying to convince my family for years that we should just eat burritos and maybe nachos because we all love them and traditions are lame boring and repetitive.

They’re not buying yet. Soon though.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-11-17, 12:11

This is the first year I'll probably be having Thanksgiving dinner alone and I'm OK with it, so I don't have a menu planned but I'm for damn sure not making a turkey for one. Planning on breakfast at the daughter's and playing with the grandkid so I'll be thankful for that.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-11-17, 12:13

Dendrobates wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:we always hang out with friends on Thanksgiving.. have done it for probably the last 15-18 years. Maybe more. They're responsible for the turkey.. and my wife, daughter and I each make/take a side dish of some sort.

I could use a good Mac n cheese recipe. I would be interested in. I like that idea as a side too!
I don't use the bay leaf. And I only boil the pasta for half the time indicated on the box, as it then goes into the oven for 30 minutes.. I've found that if you cook the pasta for the 12 minutes (or whatever it indicates on the box) and then put it into the oven, it doesn't have the more firm nature in which I prefer my mac and cheese. It's a bit more mushy.

Also, I tend to overdo it a bit on the Panko crumbs 'cause I like a good crunch with every bite.

Alton Brown's Mac and Cheese Recipe
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-11-17, 13:35

It's a vegetable from my native land...
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-11-17, 13:45

Sorry Dendro, our Thanksgiving menus are always the traditional foods, and that's whether we serve them or go to friends.
I can tell you how my mom fixes it, which is to slow cook the turkey for as many hours as it takes for all juices to have left the bird. What's left is a meat with the taste and consistency of shoe leather. Those were good times.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2017-11-17, 13:47

Rocinante wrote:

It's a vegetable from my native land...

What’s for dinner at your thanksgiving? 502811600 Paranips are so under utilized as a vegetable.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2017-11-17, 13:48

tGreenWay wrote:Sorry Dendro, our Thanksgiving menus are always the traditional foods, and that's whether we serve them or go to friends.
I can tell you how my mom fixes it, which is to slow cook the turkey for as many hours as it takes for all juices to have left the bird. What's left is a meat with the taste and consistency of shoe leather. Those were good times.

Same with my in-laws of all traditional food. However, they do a good job with the turkey.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-11-17, 13:54

holidays are when I'm most thankful that we live 700+ miles away from family.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2017-11-17, 13:57

Robert J Sakimano wrote:holidays are when I'm most thankful that we live 700+ miles away from family.

Every holiday we drive the almost 2 hours west to Jackson for my family (start at noon) then we drive 2hours back east to husbands family thanksgiving for the rest of the day. I think with having a baby, this will be the last year we do that shit. It’s part of the reason I hate the holidays soooo much.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-11-17, 14:01

Dendrobates wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:holidays are when I'm most thankful that we live 700+ miles away from family.

Every holiday we drive the almost 2 hours west to Jackson for my family (start at noon) then we drive 2hours back east to husbands family thanksgiving for the rest of the day. I think with having a baby, this will be the last year we do that shit. It’s part of the reason I hate the holidays soooo much.
yeah, it can be really stressful which is in direct opposition to the spirit of the Holidays. As I mentioned, we live far enough away that we're never expected to be there, so it kind of lets us off the hook.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-11-17, 15:20

Dendrobates wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Sorry Dendro, our Thanksgiving menus are always the traditional foods, and that's whether we serve them or go to friends.

Same with my in-laws of all traditional food. However, they do a good job with the turkey.

It's cheating, but I use the bag to keep the bird extra juicy, plus I cook it breast side down. Don't care if I get stinkeye from someone who cooks it perfectly without the bag. I'm making up for all those years of nonstop, unsuccessful chewing. Kinda surprised we didn't all end up with TMJ.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-11-17, 15:23

We have a two week old kid. We ain't doing shit this year other than trying to keep the kid calm.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-11-17, 15:26

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:We have a two week old kid. We ain't doing shit this year other than trying to keep the kid calm.

Sorry if I haven't congratulated you yet on the new addition. Very happy for you and Mrs Pylon. At the same time, the idea of you procreating is still terrifying to the rest of us.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-11-17, 15:50

tGreenWay wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:We have a two week old kid. We ain't doing shit this year other than trying to keep the kid calm.

Sorry if I haven't congratulated you yet on the new addition. Very happy for you and Mrs Pylon. At the same time, the idea of you procreating is still terrifying to the rest of us.

Thanks! I had sex!
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court 2017-11-17, 16:00

What’s for dinner at your thanksgiving? Hotandready
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2017-11-17, 16:01

Dendrobates wrote:

Nope, that just means they will all be coming to your house from now on. Enjoy!
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-11-17, 16:27

Floyd Robertson wrote:This is the first year I'll probably be having Thanksgiving dinner alone and I'm OK with it, so I don't have a menu planned but I'm for damn sure not making a turkey for one. Planning on breakfast at the daughter's and playing with the grandkid so I'll be thankful for that.

Should I set an extra plate?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2017-11-17, 16:28

pulling69 wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:

They’re not invited and I will lock the doors!
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-11-17, 16:59

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Thanks! I had sex!

Great, but the next time, make sure it doesn't take.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-11-17, 17:01

Dendrobates wrote:
pulling69 wrote:

They’re not invited and I will lock the doors!

Pulling is right. Plus, they're Jacktuckyans, so they know how to get past door locks.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-11-17, 17:23

LooseGoose wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:This is the first year I'll probably be having Thanksgiving dinner alone and I'm OK with it, so I don't have a menu planned but I'm for damn sure not making a turkey for one. Planning on breakfast at the daughter's and playing with the grandkid so I'll be thankful for that.

A little outside my driving comfort zone for the day otherwise I'd enjoy having you set an extra bowl.
Wink
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-11-17, 17:28

You can come to my parents house Floyd it won’t be weird I’ll just be like “hey, this is Floyd. Everyone shut the fuck up about it ok”
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-11-17, 17:34

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:You can come to my parents house Floyd it won’t be weird I’ll just be like “hey, this is Floyd. Everyone shut the fuck up about it ok”

Do your parents have a pit in their basement, Travis? Asking for a Floyd.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-11-17, 17:36

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:You can come to my parents house Floyd it won’t be weird I’ll just be like “hey, this is Floyd. Everyone shut the fuck up about it ok”

Aww, thanks, Trav, but wouldn't want to create an awkward situation.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-11-17, 17:38

Floyd Robertson wrote:

Aww, thanks, Trav, but wouldn't want to create an awkward situation.

It wouldn’t be awkward and if it’s awkward I’ll just tell them to shut the fuck up
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-11-17, 18:06

Floyd Robertson wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

A little outside my driving comfort zone for the day otherwise I'd enjoy having you set an extra bowl.
Wink

You could stay, I guarantee warm since I got my biannual gas delivery today. I'm set until Feb/March now.

Otherwise let me know and I'll send a pie down to comfort you.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-11-17, 18:10

LooseGoose wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Wink

You could stay, I guarantee warm since I got my biannual gas delivery today. I'm set until Feb/March now.

Much appreciated but I have an early Friday appointment to begin a attacking a production server migration with enthusiasm unknown to admins.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-11-17, 18:40

Floyd Robertson wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Much appreciated but I have an early Friday appointment to begin a attacking a production server migration with enthusiasm unknown to admins.

I could send you one of my Cherry "specials" to ensure you were well rested for that.

What’s for dinner at your thanksgiving? JM6PvWl
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-11-17, 18:45

Dendrobates wrote:

Did you move to Canada because of Trump?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-11-17, 18:45

LooseGoose wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

I could send you one of my Cherry "specials" to ensure you were well rested for that.

What’s for dinner at your thanksgiving? 502811600
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-11-17, 18:54

LooseGoose wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Yum.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-11-17, 19:48

Hadn't thought much about T day until this thread.

Company is passing out "Amish" turkeys on Monday, just like last year.  They say Amish on the box and wrapper but they're actually packaged in the same bullshit Butterballs are.  Had ordered a real Amish bird before knowing about the company bird last year so, of course I smoked the real one and tossed the other in the freezer.

Wasn't until May I got tired of the thing taking up freezer space.  Spatchcocked and smoked that bitch.  Didn't turn out pretty due to technical difficulties flipping the thing, but was tasty.

What’s for dinner at your thanksgiving? 20170513
What’s for dinner at your thanksgiving? 20170510
What’s for dinner at your thanksgiving? 20170511
What’s for dinner at your thanksgiving? 20170512

Kids are all busy this year so gonna keep it simple:

1) Spatchcock and smoke the company bird.  No brining required because it's already been dinked with.
2) Mashed rutabaga.  Peeling them is tougher but make them just like mashed potatoes.
3) Turkey gravy.  Gravy is my nemesis...have screwed it up for years.  Have learned a technique to successfully catch drippings in a smoker but not gonna bother.  Nino Salvaggio's turkey gravy.

For anyone grilling, smoking, or doing a turkey on the rotisserie I recommend throwing a couple pecan chunks in the fire.  My favorite poultry wood.  Smells heavenly and will not overpower the bird.  Usually available at Home Depot.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next