Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question for the football X and O nerds ....

+4
DWags
Death Roe
Turtleneck
Tim Wakefield
8 posters

Go down

Question for the football X and O nerds .... Empty Question for the football X and O nerds ....

Post by Tim Wakefield 2017-11-21, 18:41

What's the purpose of covering a WR or TE with another guy further outside of him on the LOS? The first time I really noticed it was when Oregon came to town in 2015. They would have trips to one side and also attach a TE to that side. OSU and other spread teams have been doing it this year and I noticed Maryland doing it last week. Seems like you're just taking a guy out of the play. I'm trying to think of a reason to do this and all I can come up with is that it might throw the defense off a little bit or to create weird gaps that they have to cover. Idk.

Here's a pic for reference .. i'm talking about the WR-looking guy that's on the LOS. Basically what i'm asking is: what's the point?

Question for the football X and O nerds .... Image_10
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Question for the football X and O nerds .... Empty Re: Question for the football X and O nerds ....

Post by Turtleneck 2017-11-21, 19:23

In the future, just send Herbie a PM. Thanks.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Question for the football X and O nerds .... Empty Re: Question for the football X and O nerds ....

Post by Guest 2017-11-21, 19:35

I would answer but resent being called a nerd.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-11-21, 19:36

I don't know.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-11-21, 19:47

The spread isn’t just a finess offense you don’t always throw from it. You also come out in some formations to help the QB read the safeties. More to explain here but I’m on my phone. Based off single hi or double hi safety you can call plays up on the line.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-11-21, 19:49

Oh and it helps the QB call plays they aren’t expecting
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-11-21, 19:56

DWags wrote:Oh and it helps the QB call plays they aren’t expecting

A sure sign he's a branch on the Herbie coaching tree.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-11-21, 20:31

DWags wrote:Oh and it helps the QB call plays they aren’t expecting

Aw, hell, never mind. Goose beat me to it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-11-21, 22:13

tGreenWay wrote:Goose beat me

Sounds hot
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2017-11-21, 22:27

We do it. It allows us to motion our WR off the short-side for jet sweeps.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Bodeen 2017-11-22, 08:35

Sometimes, it helps the offense fool the defense. But not always. And it rarely is successful when the other team is well coached and has much better players.
Jethro Bodeen
Jethro Bodeen
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-11-22, 09:23

Clarett's Folly wrote:We do it. It allows us to motion our WR off the short-side for jet sweeps.

This is also formation to run a bubble screen, inside zone read or RPO. If the LB crashes down they can swing it to the o/s or the QB can keep and run o/s. Basically they have an extra blocker in the slot (if they don't jet or shift).

Defensively, you're not going to cover him (Wisky is not), but you do have to account for the extra blocker. It looks Wisky is going counter by blitzing their o/s backer. He doesn't need to cover the slot WR so he is going to try and mess up the timing of the play. It also looks like the 2 safeties and feild corner are shifting over to the boundry side to cover against the screen.  

A little cat and mouse on both sides going on in that pic. The O is trying to create an unbalance and maybe the D doesn't pick up on the fact that he is covered by the split end (we are still dealing with college kids). Wisky has picked it up and said "oh yeah... how about a LB in your backfeild".

Another popular variation I've seen a lot this year is trips to feild side with 2 on the LOS. Only 2 of the 3 are eligible receivers, but the D has to account for the extra blocker on the bubble.

Question for the football X and O nerds .... 4113017228 No idea what dwags is saying. I think he is double high.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2017-11-25, 10:18

Good stuff dudes. I found a good article on 11 Warriors (OSU site) about this too. These coaches are pretty creative

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/film-study/2017/11/87844/film-study-putting-the-same-faces-in-new-places-reignited-the-buckeye-running-game-against-the-spartans
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down