Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coworkers and Go Fund Me for their kids' athletic endeavors

+9
MiamiSpartan
DWags
Dendrobates
Other Teams Pursuing That
WhiteBoyHatcher
Travis of the Cosmos
Watch Out Pylon!
Floyd Robertson
TheReal_LWS
13 posters

Go down

Coworkers and Go Fund Me for their kids' athletic endeavors Empty Coworkers and Go Fund Me for their kids' athletic endeavors

Post by TheReal_LWS 2017-11-27, 12:25

Is this a new phenomenon? Getting hit up by coworkers to contribute to GoFundMe pages for their kids competing at various things? Really? What happened to fundraisers? This seems like an misappropriation of your work resources and contacts.

I don't know, leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Coworkers and Go Fund Me for their kids' athletic endeavors Empty Re: Coworkers and Go Fund Me for their kids' athletic endeavors

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-11-27, 12:33

You still work in Ann Arbor? I think I might have found your answer.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Coworkers and Go Fund Me for their kids' athletic endeavors Empty Re: Coworkers and Go Fund Me for their kids' athletic endeavors

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-11-27, 13:20

TheReal_LWS wrote:Is this a new phenomenon? Getting hit up by coworkers to contribute to GoFundMe pages for their kids competing at various things? Really? What happened to fundraisers? This seems like an misappropriation of your work resources and contacts.

Posting on a message board probably isn't the best use of your work resources either.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-11-27, 13:22

TheReal_LWS wrote:Is this a new phenomenon? Getting hit up by coworkers to contribute to GoFundMe pages for their kids competing at various things? Really? What happened to fundraisers? This seems like an misappropriation of your work resources and contacts.

We’re going to have to get the Scooby Gang on this mystery pronto.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-11-27, 13:23

test
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2017-11-27, 13:53

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

lol!
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-11-27, 14:03

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

Coworkers and Go Fund Me for their kids' athletic endeavors 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2017-11-27, 14:09

I would be a little put off by it too. I haven’t heard of that, but it doesn’t surprise me.

I always try and order stuff for fundraisers, but this is pushing it\

Now if the kid was going somewhere international to compete for something or something big, than I would probably help contribute to that kid.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-11-27, 14:22

Jesus, if you can’t afford the contests, don’t put your kids in the activity. The fuck is wrong with people?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-11-27, 14:26

I posted a thread on a here a year or so ago about how, at least down here, panhandling has become a fundraiser.  Kids from poorer areas is one thing, but when you see kids in their full head-to-toe baseball uniforms, with a mid-upper income area as the team name, walking between the cars at a stop light begging for money, I really want to smack the parents upside the head.  Apart from the danger of letting your kids walk in traffic, you're teaching them to just beg for money, rather than providing any good or service in return.  And judging from the community your team represents, and that you have him in some pay for play travel team, you can damn well afford to pay for little Johnny's trip to Cooperstown without batting an eye.  I'll buy candy, or coupon books, or something from them, but I'm not giving them money for nothing (and their chicks for free).

A go fund me account is essentially the same thing, with the added guilt trip of them asking friends/co-workers to donate.

I hate the holier-than-thou people that are always commenting on how other people are raising their kids, but this is one thing that really bothers me, as it takes a good teaching moment (give a product/service, get money in return), and flips it to a bad teaching moment (ask for money for doing nothing, even when you don't need the money at all).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-11-27, 14:29

Probably the same type of people fighting over shit on Black Friday.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2017-11-27, 14:29

MiamiSpartan wrote:I posted a thread on a here a year or so ago about how, at least down here, panhandling has become a fundraiser.  Kids from poorer areas is one thing, but when you see kids in their full head-to-toe baseball uniforms, with a mid-upper income area as the team name, walking between the cars at a stop light begging for money, I really want to smack the parents upside the head.  Apart from the danger of letting your kids walk in traffic, you're teaching them to just beg for money, rather than providing any good or service in return.  And judging from the community your team represents, and that you have him in some pay for play travel team, you can damn well afford to pay for little Johnny's trip to Cooperstown without batting an eye.  I'll buy candy, or coupon books, or something from them, but I'm not giving them money for nothing (and their chicks for free).

A go fund me account is essentially the same thing, with the added guilt trip of them asking friends/co-workers to donate.

I hate the holier-than-thou people that are always commenting on how other people are raising their kids, but this is one thing that really bothers me, as it takes a good teaching moment (give a product/service, get money in return), and flips it to a bad teaching moment (ask for money for doing nothing, even when you don't need the money at all).

These are all good points. I remember one year we sold candy bars to go to camp. Taught us the value of things, and that you had to work to get to do things. And +1 for the chicks for free comment. lol!
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-11-27, 14:51

Can I start a gofundme for my sons medical bills? I'm not even sure how much we owe. Just got another call. I think they are just trying to get something, although I also think it is partially their fault. I'd probably try to settle at $2500, which is half. I'm not sure if they wrote it off though.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2017-11-27, 14:57

InTenSity wrote:Can I start a gofundme for my sons medical bills? I'm not even sure how much we owe. Just got another call. I think they are just trying to get something, although I also think it is partially their fault. I'd probably try to settle at $2500, which is half. I'm not sure if they wrote it off though.

Yes. I encourage it. This is a legitimate request.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-11-27, 18:14

TheReal_LWS wrote:

TheReal_LWS wrote: I remember one year we sold candy bars to go to camp.

It sounds like you might want to start selling candy bars again so you can go back to camp.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-11-27, 18:36

Last place of employment the owner's son was a salesman. He also coached his kid's baseball team. Guy had plenty of cash.

He came around selling squares for the Super Bowl first year I was there. Bought a couple for $10 each. He passed out copies after it was all filled out with the numbers. I added up the prizes written on the sheet and they only totaled $800. Turned out the asshole was keeping $200 saying it was a fundraiser for his fucking baseball team. Never played his squares again.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2017-11-27, 18:37

MiamiSpartan wrote:I posted a thread on a here a year or so ago about how, at least down here, panhandling has become a fundraiser.  Kids from poorer areas is one thing, but when you see kids in their full head-to-toe baseball uniforms, with a mid-upper income area as the team name, walking between the cars at a stop light begging for money, I really want to smack the parents upside the head.  Apart from the danger of letting your kids walk in traffic, you're teaching them to just beg for money, rather than providing any good or service in return.  And judging from the community your team represents, and that you have him in some pay for play travel team, you can damn well afford to pay for little Johnny's trip to Cooperstown without batting an eye.  I'll buy candy, or coupon books, or something from them, but I'm not giving them money for nothing (and their chicks for free).

I totally agree.

Back in my day (I’m old now, fyi), we had to start fundraising for the big 3 day, 8th grade trip to Chicago starting in 1st grade . And this was for a whole 18 of us. We almost didn’t make it by 8th grade. I busted my ass for each one.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-11-27, 18:47

Pay for play sports are awful and ruining the important sports- soccer and prolly baseball too if you think about it
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-11-27, 18:50

Travis of the Cosmos wrote: ruining the important sports- soccer

Coworkers and Go Fund Me for their kids' athletic endeavors 502811600
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-11-27, 19:13

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Pay for play sports are awful and ruining the important sports- soccer and prolly baseball too if you think about it

Absolutely and without question, this is the most outrageous and laugh-out-loud ridiculous statement in the history of tSwill, and very nearly of all time, ever.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-11-27, 19:19

tGreenWay wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Pay for play sports are awful and ruining the important sports- soccer and prolly baseball too if you think about it

Absolutely and without question, this is the most outrageous and laugh-out-loud ridiculous statement in the history of tSwill, and very nearly of all time, ever.

It is the most absurd statement ever posted on tSwill. That much is definitely true.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-11-27, 19:25

tGreenWay wrote:

Indeed. Watching the grass grow on the field is almost more entertaining than the game.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-11-27, 19:36

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Indeed. Watching the grass grow on the field is almost more entertaining than the game.

Almost?

I wish I could put Travis on ignore.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-11-27, 21:54

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

It is the most absurd statement ever posted on tSwill. That much is definitely true.

It's absurd on global and historical scales, too, Turtleneck.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-11-27, 21:55

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I'd sooner pound my thumb with a hammer.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-11-27, 21:56

its all too easy with you two clowns.

Coworkers and Go Fund Me for their kids' athletic endeavors Tumblr_lzt7gk6LU41qm6oc3o1_500
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-11-27, 22:00

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:its all too easy with you two clowns.

Coworkers and Go Fund Me for their kids' athletic endeavors Tumblr_lzt7gk6LU41qm6oc3o1_500

Do not try to disguise your stupidity with .gifs.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-11-27, 22:01

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:its all too easy with you two clowns.

Clown? You poor dumb sonuvabitch. Pinocchio is not a clown. Didn't your parents let you watch Disney when you were a young boy? They should've introduced you to this beloved children's story. I'll be they took you to Orlando when you were little just to watch the boy band competitions.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-11-27, 22:06

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Indeed. Watching the grass grow on the field is almost more entertaining than the game.

I'd rather watch professional bowling or drone racing.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-11-27, 22:28

The Pantry wrote:drone racing.

That could be fun for a while.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-11-27, 22:39

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I'd rather watch professional bowling or drone racing.

I'd rather watch competitive chess.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-11-27, 22:40

Turtleneck wrote:

Not surprised you'd like it. You're excellent at droning on.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-11-27, 22:42

Turtleneck wrote:

The DRL is real.  Way more entertaining than soccer.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-11-27, 23:06

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down