Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buckeyes vs Badgers

+13
tGreenWay
y2kMgrad
Death Roe
DWags
Floyd Robertson
aualum06
steveschneider
Turtleneck
Watch Out Pylon!
Other Teams Pursuing That
WhiteBoyHatcher
Dr. Strangelove
The Pantry
17 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Buckeyes vs Badgers - Page 4 Empty Re: Buckeyes vs Badgers

Post by kingstonlake Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 6:19

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
aualum06 wrote:2 losses should be automatic disqualification just like it was for Penn State last year.

Why? Thats pretty arbitrary. Like I said man, my entire argument is keeping the goal of even having a playoff in mind. There’s no point to putting in two teams from the same conference when we already picked which one is best.

Your own agreement falls on its face. Why would you put OSU in the CFP when you know they can't win it. They already played OK and we know who the better team is.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 8:39

aualum06 wrote:

Why? Thats pretty arbitrary. Like I said man, my entire argument is keeping the goal of even having a playoff in mind. There’s no point to putting in two teams from the same conference when we already picked which one is best.

Well bama hasnt played Georgia, so hard to say who is better.

It’s not hard to say at all. They have rules in the SEC to determine a champion. Georgia is said champion. If Alabama thinks they are better than Georgia then their beef should be with the SEC and their structure for determining a champion.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 8:41

kingstonlake wrote:

Your own agreement falls on its face. Why would you put OSU in the CFP when you know they can't win it. They already played OK and we know who the better team is.

Fair enough, then put in USC. Or UCF. I’m not arguing for OSU, I’m arguing for anyone other than Alabama. There is no sense whatsoever in having two teams from the same conference.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 8:57

kingstonlake wrote:

Fair enough, then put in USC. Or UCF. I’m not arguing for OSU, I’m arguing for anyone other than Alabama. There is no sense whatsoever in having two teams from the same conference.

I don't disagree with that.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 9:24

kingstonlake wrote:

Conference Championship games should be viewed as qtr final games. You don't win your conference, you don't get in. Period. OSU should not of got in last year. Alabama should not get in this year. Save the "eyeball test" bullshit. No participation trophies. Earn your way in.  Don't like OSU this year? Fine. Put in USC or UCF. Hell Toledo for all I care.

It's sofa king dumb to have a team in that can't even win their conference in the playoffs. Save the one loss bullshit. Save but Clemson lost to Syracuse bullshit. Lose the wrong game at the wrong time...don't care. Win your conference or STFU. I don't wanna hear it. It is so goddam simple.

Rant over.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 9:48

I can solve all of this if you want me to :) I’ve mentioned this a lot before but it’s our annual conversation about this stuff...

-Get rid of the big 12, put those teams in the other 4 16 team conferences with 8 team divisions
-conference championships are quarterfinals (not effectively, they are.) winners advance. Rotate which conferences play which in the semis every year.
-non conference games would be effectively meaningless, since there is no need for polls, so limit them to two. Maybe have a bunch of four team mini tournaments, one from each conference, to have them mean something even though they don’t matter for the national championship. That’d be more fun than MSU vs Bowling Green anyway.
- mid majors- look now it’s just official that you don’t have a chance. You never really did. Maybe just separate the massive division 1 into two separate categories and have their own championship.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 9:54

Also notre dame can join the acc or big ten or eat my asshole and join the mid majors. Fuck off. Sick of everyone else have to pretend that it’s 1920 so you can think you’re still exceptional.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 9:56

The only reason I want OSU in the playoff is because I could see the mushroom cloud from my house 60 miles away when they announce it.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 9:57

There are five conferences.
5-4 = 1

That means one team will be left out. So, while winning the conference is great for a criteria, it is not the final and only criteria.

If that were the case, we’d tell that committee “hey, fuck ratings, fuck these early meetings fuck all of that. Stay home till the Sunday after championship week. All we’re going to do is give you five teams. You pick four of the five every year. Oh, and ND. Maybe.

Seems pretty fucking simple to me. But, it’s not like that. It’s far from that. And precedents have been set that tell us that.

So you guys arguing that a conference title is the cornerstone that every team must have to even be considered are blowing smoke up your own ass. It’s not.

Should it be? Sure. But remember, you could be putting in a team that has a shit schedule and only had to play one tough game. The committee is there for this reason. Earn your money. Some on it might pick OSU because they weigh conference champ heavy. Some might not. I have no problem with either.

But for you guys who want conference champs, you could be looking at a playoff with Wisconsin Miami TCU and Auburn. Fine. I’ll be watching the bowls that put OSU vs Bama and Clemson vs oaklahoma.

Last edited by DWags on Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 10:03; edited 1 time in total
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 9:57

There’s just too many teams to have a clean system. I’ve finally just accepted that at the end of the season it’s pretty arbitrary and one team is always going to get hosed which is alright. /
Seeing either saban or urban whining is going to be pretty entertaining.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 9:59

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Also notre dame can join the acc or big ten or eat my asshole and join the mid majors. Fuck off. Sick of everyone else have to pretend that it’s 1920 so you can think you’re still exceptional.

Buckeyes vs Badgers - Page 4 1f60d
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 10:00

steveschneider wrote:There’s just too many teams to have a clean system. I’ve finally just accepted that at the end of the season it’s pretty arbitrary and one team is always going to get hosed which is alright. /

What I just laid out up above is pretty clean Steve.

Also, dwags, I’m banning the next mother fucker that says the word “precedent” in this playoff context. (Not really.) Despite what talking heads tell you this isn’t the fucking Supreme Court. The playoff people can do whatever they want year to year.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 10:07

steveschneider wrote:There’s just too many teams to have a clean system. I’ve finally just accepted that at the end of the season it’s pretty arbitrary and one team is always going to get hosed which is alright. /

The playoff people can do whatever they want year to year.

You know why? They’ve set precedent for doing just that.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 10:08

I get the "win your conference" argument. But honestly, would Wisconsin winning the B1G with their soft conference schedule be as solid as the schedule of....and i hate to say it...SCum who played OSU, PSU, MSU, Wisc? It doesn't really compare. I think the only real way to solve it is this.

You start making power five conferences play each other pre conference season. Rotate the 4 game pre season between conferences. Make teams come up north. you could even do it at the end of the season instead of the beginning. Make FSU come to Wisc in November. If you want you could make it a 3 game rotation with the option of a fourth game against a mid major if you like. Eliminate these teams.....like SCum again....who have a shit non conference schedule and 4 meaningless wins. The cream will rise to the top. Take the top four teams and ties based on overall record. eliminate the conference championship games in case you end up with 5 teams or more.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 10:09

What I just laid out up above is pretty clean Steve.

Also, dwags, I’m banning the next mother fucker that says the word “precedent” in this playoff context. (Not really.) Despite what talking heads tell you this isn’t the fucking Supreme Court. The playoff people can do whatever they want year to year.

I agree with your proposal, but the odds of it happening are zero. The conclusion of the college football season has always been flawed and I’ve come to accept it as part of the entertainment. Listening to fans come up with fixes for it is fun too.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 10:13

DWags wrote:

The playoff people can do whatever they want year to year.

You know why? They’ve set precedent for doing just that.

I hope Ohio State makes it this year on the basis they won their conference. We will have a reason that contradicts the reason for getting Ohio State in last year. I forgot to mention if OSU makes it in it will also be a riot to listen to PSU fans whine.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 10:13

kingstonlake wrote:I get the "win your conference" argument. But honestly, would Wisconsin winning the B1G with their soft conference schedule be as solid as the schedule of....and i hate to say it...SCum who played OSU, PSU, MSU, Wisc? It doesn't really compare. I think the only real way to solve it is this.

You start making power five conferences play each other pre conference season. Rotate the 4 game pre season between conferences. Make teams come up north. you could even do it at the end of the season instead of the beginning. Make FSU come to Wisc in November. If you want you could make it a 3 game rotation with the option of a fourth game against a mid major if you like. Eliminate these teams.....like SCum again....who have a shit non conference schedule and 4 meaningless wins. The cream will rise to the top. Take the top four teams and ties based on overall record. eliminate the conference championship games in case you end up with 5 teams or more.

Who is to say it’s soft if the best of the east, osu, had lost last night and had two losses to west teams? Then the question is why you think that Iowa and NW is any softer than PSU and MSU, which there wouldn’t be an objective reason to think (had Wisconsin won.) If you put the opinions of sports writers and polls aside, the evidence and who beat who doesn’t really support that.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 10:18

“a playoff with Wisconsin Miami TCU and Auburn. Fine. I’ll be watching the bowls that put OSU vs Bama and Clemson vs oaklahoma.”

Yuck d wags. This is why college football is so broken, too much e$pn. Cringeworthy.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 10:22

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:“a playoff with Wisconsin Miami TCU and Auburn. Fine. I’ll be watching the bowls that put OSU vs Bama and Clemson vs oaklahoma.”

Yuck d wags. This is why college football is so broken, too much e$pn. Cringeworthy.

I agree. I’d love a fair system and more parity.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 10:27

kingstonlake wrote:I get the "win your conference" argument. But honestly, would Wisconsin winning the B1G with their soft conference schedule be as solid as the schedule of....and i hate to say it...SCum who played OSU, PSU, MSU, Wisc? It doesn't really compare. I think the only real way to solve it is this.

Who is to say it’s soft if the best of the east, osu, had lost last night and had two losses to west teams? Then the question is why you think that Iowa and NW is any softer than PSU and MSU, which there wouldn’t be an objective reason to think (had Wisconsin won.) If you put the opinions of sports writers and polls aside, the evidence and who beat who doesn’t really support that.

I guess I'd fall back on Wisc best wins would be against the fourth place team in the east and another team in the east that got housed by iowa and oklahoma. This scenerio, in my opinion, is why out of conference games need to include at least three of the four against power five teams. We're all basically comparing apples to oranges when the money grubbing NCAA doesn't force these teams to play each other.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 10:59

You guys know the game is over, right? Stop bumping this thread.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 11:02

DWags wrote:There are five conferences.
5-4 = 1

That means one team will be left out. So, while winning the conference is great for a criteria, it is not the final and only criteria.

If that were the case, we’d tell that committee “hey, fuck ratings, fuck these early meetings fuck all of that. Stay home till the Sunday after championship week. All we’re going to do is give you five teams. You pick four of the five every year. Oh, and ND. Maybe.

Seems pretty fucking simple to me. But, it’s not like that. It’s far from that. And precedents have been set that tell us that.

So you guys arguing that a conference title is the cornerstone that every team must have to even be considered are blowing smoke up your own ass. It’s not.

Should it be? Sure. But remember, you could be putting in a team that has a shit schedule and only had to play one tough game. The committee is there for this reason. Earn your money. Some on it might pick OSU because they weigh conference champ heavy. Some might not. I have no problem with either.

But for you guys who want conference champs, you could be looking at a playoff with Wisconsin Miami TCU and Auburn. Fine. I’ll be watching the bowls that put OSU vs Bama and Clemson vs oaklahoma.

FFS, it's Sunday, the Lord's Day, free from math.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 12:16

It's an easy fix

5 p5 champs
1 non p5 champ
2 wild cards
Regular season back to 11 games, eliminating a cupcake game. Make every game an important game. Quarterfinals on campus sites. Only one poll all year and that's the final poll on selection day.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4