Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Men's Basketball

+5
Dr. Strangelove
DWags
Cameron
WhiteBoyHatcher
SawGreen
9 posters

Go down

Men's Basketball Empty Men's Basketball

Post by SawGreen 2018-01-27, 22:13

I was just thinking, the NCAA tournament is going to be brutal. Izzo is now the devil to a lot of people. The scandal will be ever-present...every game, every interview. I have to think the crowds could be pretty hostile.

Say the best happens and the boys win it all, somehow, "just win baby" doesn't seem to apply. What should be a proud moment for the University and for Izzo personally, will be stained.

I'm not sure how the tide of public opinion can be turned in less than 2 months.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Men's Basketball Empty Re: Men's Basketball

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-01-27, 22:17

It won't, and it can't. But I don't think we're gonna get booed out of every arena or anything like that. It doesn't happen that way. You're just going to see lots of comments on social media and the like. The mainstream media will mention it, but kind of as an "also". *

*unless new information comes out
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2018-01-27, 22:20

If we win it all, I will still get a diamond cutter going. Appling, Payne, and Walton are all gone. I don't feel any compunction in rooting for this team right now. They seem like good kids. I feel old as fuck for calling them kids.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-01-27, 22:34

Cam. Words man words. I lose at scrabble.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2018-01-27, 22:34

As long as nothing new comes out we're fine. IF it gets mentioned it will be in passing like, "they had to overcome some mid-season off court issues but now Michigan State and Tom Izzo are were they always are; March Madness is next"
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2018-01-27, 22:39

Reasons why:

1. Nasser is the true horror story and Simon/Hollis have taken the fall.
2. Izzo. The media love him.
3. Turner/CBS won't want to call attention to this mess
4. The public has become numb to athletes and sex stories - even nasty ones.
5. This shit goes on everywhere.

So assuming nothing is on video or nothing new comes out we will get by.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2018-01-27, 22:43

DWags wrote:Cam. Words man words. I lose at scrabble.

I don't understand this post. Is it because I said "compunction?"
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-01-28, 07:10

I don't know you guys. I can see protesters at every event, and it's possible that could swell the more important the game. Maybe it's just paranoia.

Izzo is honestly my main concern. What he has brought to MSU is immeasurable. If he gets to climb a ladder this year, I don't think he does so unencumbered. Things will weigh on him.

I really hope he is able to come out with a statement like Dantonio did. Unfortunately, he has nobody left to vet it with.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2018-01-28, 07:53

SawGreen wrote:I don't know you guys. I can see protesters at every event, and it's possible that could swell the more important the game.  Maybe it's just paranoia.

Izzo is honestly my main concern. What he has brought to MSU is immeasurable. If he gets to climb a ladder this year, I don't think he does so unencumbered.  Things will weigh on him.

I really hope he is able to come out with a statement like Dantonio did.  Unfortunately, he has nobody left to vet it with.

Protesters? For what? Nasser?

Did you see Protesters at road Penn State games? No. Did they get bad pub and snarky remarks? Hells yes.

Protesters for sexual assault charges? I don't think so. That shit happens at every campus. Everybody knows that. Nobody really wants to explore that topic in an in-depth fashion (especially during an event they are paying a billion dollars to show).

If anything announcers gloss right over that stuff. How many times was  it mentioned this year that Tyreek Hill (KC Chiefs) beat his pregnant girlfriend in the goddamned stomach vs how many times his explosive speed and game changing play were mentioned?

The key is Hill wailing on his gf wasn't on video like Ray Rice or Joe Mixon.

Will MSU win over the neutral site crowd and have people cheer for them? Not bloody likely but it because of this. It's because nobody wants to cheer for Goliath
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-01-28, 08:04

You don't remember the protesters after the Payne/Appling incident? It's why signs are no longer allowed in Breslin. I think it will could very well happen, but outside arenas and off camera...which is nice.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2018-01-28, 08:07

SawGreen wrote:You don't remember the protesters after the Payne/Appling incident? It's why signs are no longer allowed in Breslin. I think it will could very well happen, but outside arenas and off camera...which is nice.
I never saw a sign. Of course I haven't seen a game at Breslin since 91. Haven't lived in Michigan since 90.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-01-28, 08:20

gHost Spartan wrote:Honestly guys I hope the Spartans win it al this season. Nothing would be better. But, as others have cautioned, I'm concerned that Izzo hasn't come out with a Coach D like statement. Appling/Payne are very concerning to me but what are you going to do, destroy the kids' lives when they're not even charged with a crime? Sexual assault is very difficult to deal with - very difficult. In these cases we're not talking about some dude grabbing a woman strolling down the street, throwing her into a van and raping her. We're talking about student athletes hooking up with drunk girls at parties and maybe things going a little too far - we don't know and never will. I don't think Izzo would put winning over allowing rapists on campus. He's the guy with the experiences dealing with these types of kids. Not me. I have to trust his judgment.

I saw Dantonio get roasted on Twitter for his announcement. I saw Izzo roasted on Twitter for not saying enough. No win situations.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-01-28, 08:22

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
SawGreen wrote:You don't remember the protesters after the Payne/Appling incident? It's why signs are no longer allowed in Breslin. I think it will could very well happen, but outside arenas and off camera...which is nice.
I never saw a sign. Of course I haven't seen a game at Breslin since 91. Haven't lived in Michigan since 90.

Here's a link from the time.

https://fistyouth.wordpress.com/2010/11/02/michigan-state-university-activists-protest-handling-of-rape-charges/amp/
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-01-28, 08:25

SawGreen wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:

https://fistyouth.wordpress.com/2010/11/02/michigan-state-university-activists-protest-handling-of-rape-charges/amp/

Never heard a word about this. I feel like the Freep, LSJ and Det News were pretty non existent during this story.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-01-28, 08:34

steveschneider wrote:
SawGreen wrote:

Never heard a word about this. I feel like the Freep, LSJ and Det News were pretty non existent during this story.

Yeah, you didn't, and a familiar author wrote about the lack of coverage a few years later. She's been looking for an audience for some time, and must feel pretty strongly about this case.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1338066
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-01-28, 09:42

The fact that you guys put stock into twitter drives me nuts.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-01-28, 09:48

gHost Spartan wrote:But, as others have cautioned, I'm concerned that Izzo hasn't come out with a Coach D like statement.

Li'l help for coach:

In recent days, accusations have come out that I help foster an environment where sexual predators and assaulters are allowed to operate freely on our campus and in society.  I am here to tell you personally that these accusations are false.

Sexual assault is something I take very seriously.  It is a topic that is addressed through education and discussed very often among our students and staff. I would like those dedicating time to these accusations to research and publish what Michigan State does to educate students and student athletes about sexual assault.  I would like them to report about how those policies are reviewed, change and adapt over time.

It has been said that I don’t know what it’s like to be a victim of sexual assault.  That is true.  I am a husband, father and basketball coach.  In my position, I need to rely on the legal system and Title IX system to help in my decisions.  Beyond that, I still have a final decision on whether to retain a player or staff member, and those types of decisions are something that I take very seriously…  and I hope and pray that I don’t come to regret them.

I have read the term “cover-up” in relation to my program. This term implies deception. It needs to be understood that there are rights to privacy in these matters for both the accuser and the accused.  In this age of social media, privacy has never been more important because the court of public opinion has become the world of public opinion.

Again, I challenge those making accusations against me and my program to spend some time educating the public about these policies and laws.  I have never been, nor will I ever, be involved in any deception about my program.

Anyone, ANYONE who thinks that I would fall on the side of a player or staff member over a sexual assault survivor, when a sexual assault has been proven, is wrong.  

In closing, and as a representative of this university, I want to take the opportunity to once again say that my thoughts, our thoughts are with the survivors of sexual assault.  I will involve myself personally in my University and in the changes that we need to bring about to assure that we are doing all that we can to combat it and confront it.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-01-28, 10:32

Twitter is the definition of the mob. If you want a barometer as to what level of anger the mob is at, check your timelines. It's gonna peak in a couple of hours. I'm staying off today. I'll probably check outrage levels tomorrow and see if things have settled down.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2018-01-28, 11:37

I'm glad I don't really understand Twitter or how to make it work for me. I get on every once in a while, see that the timeline doesn't matter, read a tweet from 5 days ago, realize its from 5 days ago and shut down the app.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-01-29, 17:56

Ok guys, it's been some time and Coach hasn't come forward with a statement. I know he is a thoughtful guy who would probably let any indiscretion weigh on him, but is there cause for concern here?
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down