Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do seeds in the tournament matter to me? This chart for one.

+6
MiamiSpartan
Cameron
WhiteBoyHatcher
Other Teams Pursuing That
Travis of the Cosmos
DWags
10 posters

Go down

Why do seeds in the tournament matter to me?  This chart for one.   Empty Why do seeds in the tournament matter to me? This chart for one.

Post by DWags 10/03/18, 06:46 pm

For all you degenerate gamblers, and there are plenty of you filthy people on this board, which doesn't bother me as much, I won't have to save a seat for you in heaven, I have like five or six seats I'm saving for people up there when I kick, and none of you fuckers are on the list.  

But, i digress.   Here's an interesting chart.  

The number 1 seed has an 86% chance to get to the 16, a 70% chance to the 8, a 41% chance to get to the final four and a 24% chance to get to the championship game.  Numbr 1 seeds win about 15% of championships.

The number 2 seed has a 62% chance to the 16, 47% chance to get to the 8, they have a 21% chance to get to the 4 and 10% chance to be in the championship game.  They have won about 4% of the championships. 

Now us.  A three seed.  Three seeds are at about a 50% chance to get to the 16, a 24% chance to the 8 an 11% chance to the final four and a 7% to get to the championship game.  3 seeds have won the championship about 3% of the time.  

Anomalies in the seeds.  Not many really, however the 8 seed has got to the championship game 2.3% of the time.  Which is the only seed that sees a bump up.  Every other seed and percentage goes down in pretty much chalk order.  

So, fuck Delany. Fuck the NCAA, fuck ESPN.  Fuck the basketball gods, and fuck tGreeenway, and fuck statistics.  But yeah, here's the article, and if we're a 3 seed, I'm going to be a bitter man.   

Odds of making the final four
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Why do seeds in the tournament matter to me?  This chart for one.   Empty Re: Why do seeds in the tournament matter to me? This chart for one.

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 10/03/18, 07:02 pm

I don’t mean to turn this into a soccer thread but it was on my mind earlier... what if we just took all 64 teams and threw them in a hat to determine who plays who then threw them in a hat again in the next round then again in the next round etc. 

I dunno could be fun
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Why do seeds in the tournament matter to me?  This chart for one.   Empty Re: Why do seeds in the tournament matter to me? This chart for one.

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 10/03/18, 07:05 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I don’t mean to turn this into a soccer thread but it was on my mind earlier... what if we just took all 64 teams and threw them in a hat to determine who plays who then threw them in a hat again in the next round then again in the next round etc. 

I dunno could be fun

They do that in soccer?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 10/03/18, 07:09 pm

Who cares Wags. Just win.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 10/03/18, 07:09 pm

I still think we'll be a two most likely.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 10/03/18, 07:16 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I don’t mean to turn this into a soccer thread but it was on my mind earlier... what if we just took all 64 teams and threw them in a hat to determine who plays who then threw them in a hat again in the next round then again in the next round etc. 

I dunno could be fun

They do that in soccer?
Yes, when they have tournaments the first round is random then the second round is random etc etc. the problem with that is that it basically says “lol yeah the regular season is bullshit just get in and you’re good” but at the same time, I wonder if it makes more sense than having a committee of 12 paid off assholes picking seeds
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 10/03/18, 07:21 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Who cares Wags. Just win.

WBH, I want to be as detached and not care if we end up losing, but the more I reflect and am honest with myself, the more I really want to get to the final four at least.  i also think that we're seeing a repercussion of the Tom Izzo/ Hollis resign ESPN thing with this seeding shit. Remember the year we had 18  or 19 wins and we Knew we'd get into the tournament cause Izzo's rep and Hollis on the committee?  Well, I think we're seeing a backlash of that now.  So, I'm pissed, I'm anxious, I'm hopeful and I want to get to the ff like never before.  

Sue me.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 10/03/18, 07:36 pm

I won’t sue you wags I’m with you on this but i don’t think it has anything to do with off the court shit
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 10/03/18, 07:44 pm

I really wonder how that idea of no seeds random draw fuck it would work. Maybe you get Duke vs OSU in the first round fuck it you gotta win if you want to be champs let’s go. Doesn’t matter which round you face which opponent, if you’re the best you should be able to beat them. If you’re not well, sucks you got a better team than you early lol sorry
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 10/03/18, 07:46 pm

Here's the thing though Wags, here is why it really doesn't matter this year. Who are the top 4 teams with a bullet? I mean I'd argue that a healthy Villanova is probably the only team that scares me (if you don't count UM because of our matchup). So yeah it would suck if we're a 2 or a 3 and wind up in Nova's region. But for the next 7-11 teams - who gives a shit if we're a 1 and they're a 2 or a 3 or we're a 2 and they're a 1 or a 3 or we're a 3 and they're a 1 or a 2? It simply doesn't matter. As a 1, 2 or a 3 we're going to face one of those 11 teams in the same round anyway, and since we're likely not a 1, we're going to face the 2 or 3 in the same round regardless of which seed we are (a 2 or a 3).

It's dumb to worry about. If we don't make the FF it's not going to be because we're a 3 instead of a 2 and vice versa. It's going to be because we turn the ball over 15 times and shoot 18% behind the arc while giving up 50+%.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 10/03/18, 07:55 pm

I don't know about seeds, but I'd rather play Michigan again than Duke again.

We're either a 2 or a 3, 4% vs. 3% isn't much difference.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 10/03/18, 07:58 pm

Cameron wrote:I don't know about seeds, but I'd rather play Michigan again than Duke again.

We're either a 2 or a 3, 4% vs. 3% isn't much difference.
Honestly Cameron we all do this jerk off about seeds but what if it didn’t matter at all?

I’m slowly selling myself on the idea that the best thing the NCAA tournament could do is fucking seeds altogether
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 10/03/18, 07:58 pm

How many 3 seeds in your data were legit 1 seeds or high 2 seeds? Probably not many. Maybe not any that were as good as we are (or as good as we think we are). So those stats for 3 seed teams are pretty much for borderline Top 10 teams, give or take a little.

If we are only a borderline Top 10 team, then we don't deserve better than a 3. If we are a Top 5 team, then the stats of borderline Top 10 teams doesn't really apply to us.

Point being, if we are good enough we will do it, regardless of seed. If not, we won't.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 10/03/18, 08:00 pm

It accomplishes the mission right? We’re looking for the best team. If Kentucky and MSU play in the first round then the winner plays northern Alabama well fuck it, we know who is best of those three.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/03/18, 09:06 pm

I dunno could be fun

You can always tell who was raised on participation ribbons.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 10/03/18, 09:38 pm

LooseGoose wrote:

I dunno could be fun

You can always tell who was raised on participation ribbons that my generation purchased
Fixed that for you

But seriously, the more I think about it the more I think we should say fuck all to seeds altogether and just put all 64 teams into a big pot
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 10/03/18, 09:43 pm

The more I think about it the more I think I’m right. If you’re the best team then prove it. Super sucks if you get Villanova in the first round. But prove you’re better. If you can’t then who cares if you got to the second round, this is about determining a champion.

Wait, isn’t this the exact opposite of participation ribbons? Lol what a fuckin idiot goose is.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 10/03/18, 10:53 pm

Why do seeds in the tournament matter to me?  This chart for one.   635538294873456475-DFP-0921-narduzzi-ms-1-1-SA56QQT0-L290281475
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 10/03/18, 11:29 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:The more I think about it the more I think I’m right.

Shut the fuck up. #teampylon
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 10/03/18, 11:30 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:The more I think about it the more I think I’m right. If you’re the best team then prove it. Super sucks if you get Villanova in the first round. But prove you’re better. If you can’t then who cares if you got to the second round, this is about determining a champion.

Wait, isn’t this the exact opposite of participation ribbons? Lol what a fuckin idiot goose is.

Yeah, you’re too angry about this. Goose might be right.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 10/03/18, 11:42 pm

DWags wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:The more I think about it the more I think I’m right. If you’re the best team then prove it. Super sucks if you get Villanova in the first round. But prove you’re better. If you can’t then who cares if you got to the second round, this is about determining a champion.

Yeah, you’re too angry about this.  Goose might be right.
There’s no angry here. The problem is that you keep bowing down to your seeding overlords. For what? If MSU is the best team then it won’t even matter. Problem is you live your life as a huge coward. Stop being a coward and begging for an easy draw dwags. Fuck it. Give me a random draw and let me play duke on Thursday and south central bumfuck on Saturday. 

Stop being scared.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 10/03/18, 11:48 pm

So like in other words just so I can quote myself tomorrow

Seeding. Doesn’t. Fucking. Matter. Even. In. The. Slightest. Little. Bit. Whatsoever. Only. Shit. Ass. Teams. Spend. Their. Time. Worrying. About. Who. They. Got. If. You’re. The. Best. Team. Then. Be. The. Best. Team.

For real though let’s go JJJ time to crush it woooooooooo! Tell dwags and in his inner coward to suck your diiiiiiickkkkkkk
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 10/03/18, 11:52 pm

Cameron wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:The more I think about it the more I think I’m right.

I don't even know what this thread is about but this is correct.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 10/03/18, 11:53 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:So like in other words just so I can quote myself tomorrow

Seeding. Doesn’t. Fucking. Matter. Even. In. The. Slightest. Little. Bit. Whatsoever. Only. Shit. Ass. Teams. Spend. Their. Time. Worrying. About. Who. They. Got. If. You’re. The. Best. Team. Then. Be. The. Best. Team.

For real though let’s go JJJ time to crush it woooooooooo! Tell dwags and in his inner coward to suck your diiiiiiickkkkkkk

Ok, this is correct too. Fuck seedings.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 10/03/18, 11:53 pm

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Stop being scared of seeds pylon. Give MSU the 16 seed. Fuck it. Let’s go
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 11/03/18, 12:01 am

Why do seeds in the tournament matter to me?  This chart for one.   502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 11/03/18, 12:04 am

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:So like in other words just so I can quote myself tomorrow

Ok, this is correct too. Fuck seedings.

Fuck all seeds. Especially sunflower.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 11/03/18, 12:04 am

Jalapeño sunflower seeds are money.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 11/03/18, 12:18 am

I’ll show y2k the best seed

Wait what? Look that was a little weird. And that’s ok. What isn’t okay is stressing about which region MSU is put in tomorrow or whatever the fuck. Don’t care. Let’s blow out six teams without even thinking about it then be like lol wtf
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 11/03/18, 08:34 am

Ok. Over it. Let’s start the skull fucking 6:00 pm eastern.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 11/03/18, 10:37 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

If a #16 seed wins, they would follow the same path forward as the #1 seed. Nice try, but your fear is transparent. You are so scared right now your shaking is going to cause an earthquake.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 11/03/18, 10:37 am

Turtleneck wrote:

If a #16 seed wins, they would follow the same path forward as the #1 seed. Nice try, but your fear is transparent. You are so scared right now your shaking is going to cause an earthquake.
Fuck seeds and fuck you
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 11/03/18, 10:43 am

Turtleneck wrote:

Fuck seeds and fuck you

You're the one talking about a #16 seed as a thinly disguised way to express your desperation for MSU getting a #1 seed.

Last edited by Turtleneck on 11/03/18, 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11/03/18, 10:46 am

Turtleneck wrote:

Fuck seeds and fuck you

I'm beginning to worry about you. Why do seeds in the tournament matter to me?  This chart for one.   685334576 Why do seeds in the tournament matter to me?  This chart for one.   685334576
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 11/03/18, 10:59 am

LooseGoose wrote:
Fuck seeds and fuck you

I'm beginning to worry about you.  Why do seeds in the tournament matter to me?  This chart for one.   685334576 Why do seeds in the tournament matter to me?  This chart for one.   685334576
Don’t worry goose, fuck seeds this is important
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 11/03/18, 03:29 pm

Travis is cranky today.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 11/03/18, 03:31 pm

Cameron wrote:Travis is cranky today.
You’re cranky
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 11/03/18, 03:32 pm

Cameron wrote:Travis is cranky today.
You’re cranky

#teampylon
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down