Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Republican law maker: Oceans are rising cause rocks from the White Cliffs of Dover are falling into it.

+3
Robert J Sakimano
Watch Out Pylon!
DWags
7 posters

Go down

Republican law maker:  Oceans are rising cause rocks from the White Cliffs of Dover are falling into it.  Empty Republican law maker: Oceans are rising cause rocks from the White Cliffs of Dover are falling into it.

Post by DWags Fri 18 May 2018 - 12:45

Yeah, you can't make this shit up.  You can't. You can't imagine this shit, then try to make it up in your head.  If you said this out loud, they'd think you're crazy.

Rep. Mo Brooks (R-AL) questioned Duffy on the factors that contribute to sea-level rise, pointing out that land subsidence plays a role, as well as human activity.
Brooks then said that erosion plays a significant role in sea-level rise, which is not an idea embraced by mainstream climate researchers. He said the California coastline and the White Cliffs of Dover tumble into the sea every year, and that contributes to sea-level rise. He also said that silt washing into the ocean from the world's major rivers, including the Mississippi, the Amazon and the Nile, is contributing to sea-level rise.
"Every time you have that soil or rock or whatever it is that is deposited into the seas, that forces the sea levels to rise, because now you have less space in those oceans, because the bottom is moving up," Brooks said.

These fucking morons are in charge. Maybe we should all arm ourselves.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Republican law maker:  Oceans are rising cause rocks from the White Cliffs of Dover are falling into it.  Empty Re: Republican law maker: Oceans are rising cause rocks from the White Cliffs of Dover are falling into it.

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Fri 18 May 2018 - 13:17

Republican law maker:  Oceans are rising cause rocks from the White Cliffs of Dover are falling into it.  Giphy
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Republican law maker:  Oceans are rising cause rocks from the White Cliffs of Dover are falling into it.  Empty Re: Republican law maker: Oceans are rising cause rocks from the White Cliffs of Dover are falling into it.

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 18 May 2018 - 14:22

They're a special bunch.

Of course, it's not surprising that they demonize education and hold Sarah Palin up as an arbiter of intellect.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Fri 18 May 2018 - 17:04

As dumb as that is, it sounds insightful compared to worrying about tipping over an island.

Intelligence is mentioned no where in the requirements for Congress.

It really should be. You say something this dumb and you get kicked out of office immediately.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Fri 18 May 2018 - 17:10

I am, in no way, proud to be an American. The stupidity is beyond embarrassing.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Fri 18 May 2018 - 19:39

As frightening, his district is on the northern border of Alabama and includes Huntsville, one of the state's highest concentration of educated people. It's got Alabama-Huntsville University, the Redstone Arsenal and multiple high tech defense contractors.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun 20 May 2018 - 6:34

Dendrobates wrote:I am, in no way, proud to be an American. The stupidity is beyond embarrassing.

If the guys who are elected are saying that kind of stuff, think about the idiots who they talked into voting for them.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sun 20 May 2018 - 7:36

DWags wrote:Yeah, you can't make this shit up.  You can't. You can't imagine this shit, then try to make it up in your head.  If you said this out loud, they'd think you're crazy.

Rep. Mo Brooks (R-AL) questioned Duffy on the factors that contribute to sea-level rise, pointing out that land subsidence plays a role, as well as human activity.
Brooks then said that erosion plays a significant role in sea-level rise, which is not an idea embraced by mainstream climate researchers. He said the California coastline and the White Cliffs of Dover tumble into the sea every year, and that contributes to sea-level rise. He also said that silt washing into the ocean from the world's major rivers, including the Mississippi, the Amazon and the Nile, is contributing to sea-level rise.
"Every time you have that soil or rock or whatever it is that is deposited into the seas, that forces the sea levels to rise, because now you have less space in those oceans, because the bottom is moving up," Brooks said.

Before 2016 I’d agree with you that you couldn’t make this up but now I expect it. Clint Watts was on real time the other night promoting his book about fake news and social media. It’s really fascinating stuff. People are forming on line tribes and making internet friends that are shaping their world view. Look up the coalition instinct it explains the bizarre behaviors of group think. And then confirmation bias it’s all about the way you process info to support your own beliefs. That’s the playbook to mislead and divide folks. Also, add in there’s been a long cultural war against the media that is to the point where folks don’t trust verified news sources and you have a Perfect recipe for a dystopian nightmare.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Sun 20 May 2018 - 7:44

steveschneider wrote:
DWags wrote:Yeah, you can't make this shit up.  You can't. You can't imagine this shit, then try to make it up in your head.  If you said this out loud, they'd think you're crazy.

Before 2016 I’d agree with you that you couldn’t make this up but now I expect it. Clint Watts was on real time the other night promoting his book about fake news and social media. It’s really fascinating stuff. People are forming on line tribes and making internet friends that are shaping their world view. Look up the coalition instinct it explains the bizarre behaviors of group think. And then confirmation bias it’s all about the way you process info to support your own beliefs. That’s the playbook to mislead and divide folks. Also, add in there’s been a long cultural war against the media that is to the point where folks don’t trust verified news sources and you have a Perfect recipe for a dystopian nightmare.
America is a stupid country.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sun 20 May 2018 - 7:58

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

America is a stupid country.

Yes, but what I’m talking about is well coordinated and well funded. Yes stupidity has a part in it but there’s a lot more involved than just that. People are microtargeting the stupid people on social media to manipulate their beliefs. I actually find it fascinating.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Sun 20 May 2018 - 8:37

steveschneider wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: America is a stupid country.

Yes, but what I’m talking about is well coordinated and well funded. Yes stupidity has a part in it but there’s a lot more involved than just that. People are microtargeting the stupid people on social media to manipulate their beliefs. I actually find it fascinating.
I know what you're saying.. but such an attack on American society and culture wouldn't be possible if American society and culture wasn't so incredibly stupid and gullible.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sun 20 May 2018 - 8:48

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I know what you're saying.. but such an attack on American society and culture wouldn't be possible if American society and culture wasn't so incredibly stupid and gullible.

Just remember people like us fit into this equation. Let’s say you are on fb or someone like you is and they see a religious evangelical post something just crazy so they do a snarky comment It’s goig to register that comment, use the data to get that comment to more similar folks that disagree with religion so that it is seen by more people that disagree with that post.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Mon 21 May 2018 - 9:43

Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 21 May 2018 - 9:50

steveschneider wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: I know what you're saying.. but such an attack on American society and culture wouldn't be possible if American society and culture wasn't so incredibly stupid and gullible.

Just remember people like us fit into this equation. Let’s say you are on fb or someone like you is and they see a religious evangelical post something just crazy so they do a snarky comment It’s goig to register that comment, use the data to get that comment to more similar folks that disagree with religion so that it is seen by more people that disagree with that post.
yeah but I'm not on FB or any of those other forms of social/cultural/political rot. I don't need 'friends' to tell me what to think or believe.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Mon 21 May 2018 - 9:57

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

yeah but I'm not on FB or any of those other forms of social/cultural/political rot. I don't need 'friends' to tell me what to think or believe.

But how will you hear about Obama's FEMA death camps? I remember a co-worker bought into this one. I kinda stopped talking to him or a regular basis after he told me to "look it up."
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 21 May 2018 - 10:03

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

But how will you hear about Obama's FEMA death camps? I remember a co-worker bought into this one. I kinda stopped talking to him or a regular basis after he told me to "look it up."
Republican law maker:  Oceans are rising cause rocks from the White Cliffs of Dover are falling into it.  502811600

America is a stupid country.. might as well have a positive impact on the parts of it we can (ourselves, our children) and mock the idiots.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down