Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Lee Iacocca the greatest auto executive of all time?

+6
kingstonlake
tGreenWay
The Pantry
Other Teams Pursuing That
WhiteBoyHatcher
DWags
10 posters

Go down

Is Lee Iacocca the greatest auto executive of all time?  Empty Is Lee Iacocca the greatest auto executive of all time?

Post by DWags 2018-07-10, 22:17

Who was better?

Mustang
Bailed out Chrysler
Minivan
Bought Jeep by buying AMC
Fucking Jeep
Balls to merge with Mitsubishi

If Hank Ford didn’t have such an ego, would the big three just be Ford and fuck you Europe?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Is Lee Iacocca the greatest auto executive of all time?  Empty Re: Is Lee Iacocca the greatest auto executive of all time?

Post by Guest 2018-07-10, 22:45

Bob Lutz.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Is Lee Iacocca the greatest auto executive of all time?  Empty Re: Is Lee Iacocca the greatest auto executive of all time?

Post by DWags 2018-07-10, 22:54

LooseGoose wrote:Bob Lutz.

Why?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-07-10, 23:02

Bennie Fowler. Dude was a bad ass mofo.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-07-10, 23:04

Greg Jones.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-07-10, 23:21

BTW, I think he's still alive.  He's like 90 something.  Is he dead?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-10, 23:33

Anyone else remember watching the congressional hearings in 2009 when they were grilling the Big 3?

It was then I finally knew how stupid our elected officials are. Most of them completely clueless about the auto industry. Can't recall his name but there was one rep from Tennessee that seemed to have some sense about the business. The rest were dumb as turds, complaining about the grillee's flying in on a private jet.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-07-10, 23:40

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Greg Jones.

I was joking a bit as I don't know shit about Lee Iacocca but Bennie Jr's dad was a serious bad ass at the FoMoCo in the early 00s. Everyone was terrified of him when I worked there. He was Exec level for sure. I was entry level and barely allowed to stand within 50 ft of him but he was a big, bad dude. The only guy whose presence equaled Bennie's in those days was J Mays.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-07-10, 23:44

The Pantry wrote:Anyone else remember watching the congressional hearings in 2009 when they were grilling the Big 3?  

It was then I finally knew how stupid our elected officials are.  Most of them completely clueless about the auto industry.  Can't recall his name but there was one rep from Tennessee that seemed to have some sense about the business.  The rest were dumb as turds, complaining about the grillee's flying in on a private jet.

Did you think that at least two were going to go belly up?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-11, 00:48

DWags wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Anyone else remember watching the congressional hearings in 2009 when they were grilling the Big 3?  

It was then I finally knew how stupid our elected officials are.  Most of them completely clueless about the auto industry.  Can't recall his name but there was one rep from Tennessee that seemed to have some sense about the business.  The rest were dumb as turds, complaining about the grillee's flying in on a private jet.

Did you think that at least two were going to go belly up?
After the mega billions already committed to bail out the useless banking industry? Naw.

Ford was in the best position. Mulally did a good job representing. Wagoner (GM) and Nardelli (Chrysler) did okay too, but facing the idiots in Washington must have tested them to their limit.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-07-11, 01:07

George Romney John DeLorean.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2018-07-11, 07:35

No.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-07-11, 08:36

tGreenWay wrote:George Romney John DeLorean.

Cocain in a hell of a drug
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-07-11, 08:39

DWags wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:George Romney John DeLorean.

Took me a second, but nice reference Is Lee Iacocca the greatest auto executive of all time?  1966794946
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-07-11, 08:48

Floyd Robertson wrote:
DWags wrote:

Took me a second, but nice reference Is Lee Iacocca the greatest auto executive of all time?  1966794946

Is Lee Iacocca the greatest auto executive of all time?  502811600 Stuff is as good as gold.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-07-11, 08:59

DWags wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Bob Lutz.

Why?

Honestly no one reason, but he's always been the car guy I liked.   I think he was more hands on in developing models than many including Iacocca.  Of course I really don't know shit because I was only reading about it, not involved in the industry.

Here's a quick career listing I found this morning....

Biography: Bob Lutz’s Long Road
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2018-07-11, 11:37

LooseGoose wrote:
DWags wrote:

Why?

Honestly no one reason, but he's always been the car guy I liked.   I think he was more hands on in developing models than many including Iacocca.  Of course I really don't know shit because I was only reading about it, not involved in the industry.

what could have been if it wasn't so bland

2004: Champions the importation of the Australian Holden Monaro as a reborn Pontiac GTO. Like his earlier Merkur XR4ti, the GTO is a failure.
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-07-11, 11:38

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

2004: Champions the importation of the Australian Holden Monaro as a reborn Pontiac GTO. Like his earlier Merkur XR4ti, the GTO is a failure.

Don't ever call the Merkur XR4ti a failure if Jim Rome is within earshot.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-07-11, 11:42

LooseGoose wrote:
DWags wrote:

Why?

Thing is, lacocco hit it huge three times. Mustang, mini van, then Jeep. He bailed out Chrysler and paid off a billion dollar loan early. Then showed he was t afraid to merge with fireign countries.

Lutz was great. Delorean was more of a pure engineer.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2018-07-11, 11:52

Floyd Robertson wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:

Don't ever call the Merkur XR4ti a failure if Jim Rome is within earshot.

I don't think I've ever heard of Merkur before reading that...but that def looks like something Jim Rome would drive
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2018-07-11, 11:54

ram air concept >>>>>

Is Lee Iacocca the greatest auto executive of all time?  2004_p10

Last edited by CORNER BLITZ on 2018-07-12, 00:33; edited 1 time in total
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-07-11, 12:18

DWags wrote:Who was better?

Mustang
Bailed out Chrysler
Minivan
Bought Jeep by buying AMC
Fucking Jeep
Balls to merge with Mitsubishi

If Hank Ford didn’t have such an ego, would the big three just be Ford and fuck you Europe?
Billy Durant will see your Jeep and Mitsubishi, and raise you the acquisitions of Oldsmobile, Cadillac, and Pontiac on top of his own Buick company.

MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2018-07-11, 13:02

CORNER BLITZ wrote:

Wasn't that Holden/GTO actually a beast, but it looked like something your grandparents would drive, if they had bad eyesight?
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-11, 18:25

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Would hardly call the Holden GTO a failure. Yeah, the styling was a bit understated but it was a better performer than Chevy's Camaro. The 2004 had a 5.7L V8 with 350hp, 25 more than the hottest Camaro. Personally, I thought it looked better too...less boy racer. A sleeper.

The 2006 had a 6.0L with 400hp and 400 ft-lbs. My kid had both a 2004 and 2006. The 06 was a dynamite car until he totaled it. My younger son has since bought a 2004 without an engine. Bought a 6L to stick in it eventually, after tearing it down and building it.

The Holden GTO has kind of a cult following. People are building the piss out of them. Son's friend has an 06 that is making 800hp at the wheels.

Also, the Holden/Pontiac G8 was a pretty nice sedan.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2018-07-11, 20:01

The G8 is what I was thinking of, ridiculous
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-11, 21:19

I.B. Fine wrote:The G8 is what I was thinking of, ridiculous

Is Lee Iacocca the greatest auto executive of all time?  Img_2010
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2018-07-12, 00:37

I thought the G8s were sexy for what they were. Especially the stryker blue

Is Lee Iacocca the greatest auto executive of all time?  G810
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-12, 00:39

Before and after pics of the 06 GTO

Is Lee Iacocca the greatest auto executive of all time?  20170410

Is Lee Iacocca the greatest auto executive of all time?  20150314
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2018-07-12, 08:12

Didn't realize that the 2015-2017 Chevy SS was the last generation of the Holden/Pontiac G8,. 415 naturally aspirated, rear wheel drive horsepower with 6 speed manual option
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2018-07-12, 11:01

The Pantry wrote:Before and after pics of the 06 GTO  

Is Lee Iacocca the greatest auto executive of all time?  20170410

Is Lee Iacocca the greatest auto executive of all time?  20150314

He was all good from that??

It's my dream to find a GTO donor like that to use the seats, shifter, potentially engine/trans for my car
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-12, 11:53

Got a small cut on the side of his head when the driver side window shattered (side swiped a tree) but that was it.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-12, 21:54

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
It's my dream to find a GTO donor like that to use the seats, shifter, potentially engine/trans for my car
Forgot to ask. You have a GTO project car?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-07-13, 14:46

Ken Coleman‏ @HistoryLivesDet  3m3 minutes ago
On this day in 1978: Lee Iacocca, who had developed the Mustang, is fired as president of @Ford by Chairman Henry Ford II.
Is Lee Iacocca the greatest auto executive of all time?  DiAZrUKW0AAfQVA
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2018-07-13, 20:01

The Pantry wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:
Forgot to ask.  You have a GTO project car?

67 Camaro
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-13, 21:44

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

67 Camaro
Nice. Details of what you're working with? SS? Convertible? Know the vehicle history?

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2018-07-14, 10:09

The Pantry wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:

67 Camaro
Nice.  Details of what you're working with?  SS?  Convertible?  Know the vehicle history?

zero cool history to the car, hence why I feel ok eventually going pro-touring with it (right now it is disassembled) 

I believe I am the 4th owner

started its life marina blue - 6 cylinder w/ 3 on the tree
next owner put in a 350 and auto trans
guy I got it from switched to 4 speed manual that definitely did not match up well with the previous work done to the car since he literally handed me a rod and said "this is supposed to attach to the trans, but it doesn't fit with the headers it's got on"
has a cheap white paint job and some jank bodywork in a couple places

I drove it around, just locally since I didn't trust the previous owners, the summer I got it. Honestly even just starting it up and chilling in the driveway smelling the gas, hearing the engine, playing an old 8 track my parents had was cool AF. 

Had a bad starter that eventually gave out while I was at a buddies and I had to push it back home. Since then I've just slowly taken it apart and come up with plans in my mind to eventually rebuild it better than before
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-07-14, 11:15

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

67 Camaro

Shocked That’s a bitchin’ Camaro.

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down