Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official 2018 General College Football Thread

+31
Turtleneck
Bill Cain
CORNER BLITZ
Blaine Fabin
I.B. Fine
Death Roe
Other Teams Pursuing That
Senior Dickfist
Cameron
Dr. Strangelove
TheReal_LWS
Heat Miser
AvgMSUJoe
NigelUno
MSU addict
Robert J Sakimano
Clarett's Folly
kingstonlake
MiamiSpartan
steveschneider
pulling69
Watch Out Pylon!
aualum06
DWags
Rocinante
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
Tim Wakefield
Nordic
InTenSity
WhiteBoyHatcher
35 posters

Page 2 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 22  Next

Go down

Official 2018 General College Football Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Official 2018 General College Football Thread

Post by Tim Wakefield 2018-08-01, 22:49

Nordic wrote:Reese Davis was just on SC...said he doesn't think Urban survives and the admin leave is more to get the contract buyout figured out.

How big of a fuckin buyout does a guy like that have?
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Official 2018 General College Football Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Official 2018 General College Football Thread

Post by tGreenWay 2018-08-01, 22:49

Re: Urbs: Imma just wait for the truth to come out, if it ever does.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2018-08-01, 23:13

There won't be a buyout....there are clauses in his contract for him failing to report this stuff that allow for him to be fired with cause.

PS Now with Urban's history, anyone want to bet on when he "needs to spend more time with his family" again and "retires." At least this time it won't be for banging university students. Shocked
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2018-08-01, 23:16

Tim Wakefield wrote:
Nordic wrote:Reese Davis was just on SC...said he doesn't think Urban survives and the admin leave is more to get the contract buyout figured out.

How big of a fuckin buyout does a guy like that have?

Official 2018 General College Football Thread - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmC-_WQFJCOe9abpqo_resBgqIfNhxbda1wsgdau-FdXvGgpo-Cw
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2018-08-01, 23:23

Can we get our QB croot back?
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2018-08-01, 23:42

Clarett's Folly wrote:Can we get our QB croot back?

Don't want him... 1000% committed to MSU and bailed, he is probably 1,000,000% committed to OSU.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-08-02, 00:38

Article takes a look at Ryan Day, the acting HC, and why he was selected despite there being two former head coaches on the Buckeyes’ staff:

https://articles.cleveland.com/osu/2018/08/why_ryan_day_had_to_be_named_a.amp
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-08-02, 06:35

So, why wouldn’t the whole staff be held to the same standards as Urban? If they all knew, they all knew.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-08-02, 07:22

so do y'all really think Urban could get canned over this??

regardless of what he knew and when, I figure he could always play the "well, I realize now that I could've handled it differently, but I wasn't ready to convict someone based on allegations" card..

unless there's more to the story than I realize.. admittedly, I haven't brushed up on it too much. It just seems like people of his stature hold on to positions regularly for much more serious things.

Official 2018 General College Football Thread - Page 2 2599972566

(I ain't sayin' it's right.. just sayin' that it's my observation).

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2018-08-02, 07:37

Will Ohio State fire Urbs before game 1?
Yes -200
No +160

Will he resign?
Yes -150
No +120

https://twitter.com/betmybookie/status/1024730902788808706?s=21
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-08-02, 07:49

Robert J Sakimano wrote:so do y'all really think Urban could get canned over this??

regardless of what he knew and when, I figure he could always play the "well, I realize now that I could've handled it differently, but I wasn't ready to convict someone based on allegations" card..

unless there's more to the story than I realize.. admittedly, I haven't brushed up on it too much. It just seems like people of his stature hold on to positions regularly for much more serious things.

You can't cover up one of your staff members repeatedly beating his wife and survive it. Couple this with their own brewing molestation scandal and tOSU will want to get in front of it. He never coaches another game there. Will be coaching again within 3 years though.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-08-02, 07:55

Just a thought about journalism. McMurphy vs Lavign. Seems one had their ducks in a row and one just sprayed shit and some stuck.

I have no doubt she’s bummed today. One story puts a coach on administrative leave and possibly fired, one hour long prime time million dollar special had zero effect on two coaches. She’ll put a hack job together soon.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2018-08-02, 08:01

Someone on reddit had some pretty interesting stuff.

I dont know if any one will see this [errr...uh.. it looks like people will see this] , but Ive caught flak here and been downvoted before for calling out Urban and his bag man & fixer that handled shady shit for him. Ive even said the guys name in here and on discord, and low and behold the guy appears in this story...

A few days after Zach’s 2009 arrest, Courtney said two of Meyer’s closest friends – Hiram de Fries and Earle Bruce – asked her to drop the charges. Bruce is Zach Smith’s grandfather, de Fries is Meyer’s “life coach.”

That guy is still with Urban, and he is the guy that covered up shady shit for urban in the past.

edit:

On a July morning in 2009, Courtney Smith sat across the table from de Fries, a former attorney and Shell Oil executive. Courtney said de Fries pressured her to drop the charges.

That aint the first time he has been involved in things like this. The real story is there for any journalist willing to dig into that guy.

edit2: https://www.facebook.com/TheBrettMcMurphy/posts/2042037522486968

“Zach once told me,” said Courtney, “if he ever got fired and this all comes out: ‘I’ll take everyone at Ohio State down with me.’ ”

this guy knows dirt. I expect Mueller to be speaking with him soon.

InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-08-02, 08:05

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:so do y'all really think Urban could get canned over this??

You can't cover up one of your staff members repeatedly beating his wife and survive it. Couple this with their own brewing molestation scandal and tOSU will want to get in front of it. He never coaches another game there. Will be coaching again within 3 years though.

Urban back to the SEC?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-08-02, 08:05

DWags wrote:Just a thought about journalism. McMurphy vs Lavign. Seems one had their ducks in a row and one just sprayed shit and some stuck.

I have no doubt she’s bummed today. One story puts a coach on administrative leave and possibly fired, one hour long prime time million dollar special had zero effect on two coaches. She’ll put a hack job together soon.

https://twitter.com/brett_mcmurphy/status/1024886218197278720
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2018-08-02, 08:06

The more I think about. I think he will be fired. Good read on his contract, Title IX reporting issues and why he was probably put on leave:

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/08/the_new_clause_in_urban_meyers.html
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-08-02, 08:20

LooseGoose wrote:

like I said, I haven't kept up with it too closely but that doesn't sound too good.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2018-08-02, 08:59

IMO all signs point to - he gone.

He has firmly stated that he was unaware.  

Even if you stupidly believe that his wife knew (known fact) but never told him - there are multiple sources saying there is substantial proof he knew.  It would seem any type of investigation is going to show conclusively that he knew.

Meyer knows the truth - he was, in fact, very aware.  No investigation needs to be conducted, he will resign because doing so greatly improves his future employability.  

The guy they named as interim head coach is the next stud coaching candidate.  You give Day the job on a provisional basis, he does well and he is your next head coach.  If he does something stupid like losing to Harbaugh, you have all the time you need for a coaching search.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2018-08-02, 09:16

MSU addict wrote:IMO all signs point to - he gone.

Even if you stupidly believe that his wife knew (known fact) but never told him - there are multiple sources saying there is substantial proof he knew.  It would seem any type of investigation is going to show conclusively that he knew.

Meyer knows the truth - he was, in fact, very aware.  No investigation needs to be conducted, he will resign because doing so greatly improves his future employability.  

The guy they named as interim head coach is the next stud coaching candidate.  You give Day the job on a provisional basis, he does well and he is your next head coach.  If he does something stupid like losing to Harbaugh, you have all the time you need for a coaching search.

I don't know anything about Day. But you are spot on. They are one of the top 3 elite programs/brands right now. They are better off cutting ties with Meyer than keeping him and it blowing up in their face. That would hurt much more than the temporary lose of Meyer.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-08-02, 09:30

Nordic wrote:
MSU addict wrote:IMO all signs point to - he gone.

I don't know anything about Day. But you are spot on. They are one of the top 3 elite programs/brands right now. They are better off cutting ties with Meyer than keeping him and it blowing up in their face. That would hurt much more than the temporary lose of Meyer.
this seems pretty accurate.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2018-08-02, 09:50

I don't know much about Ryan Day either but he's listed as 39 and looks like he's 59 so if nothing else he fits the OSU mold of athletics figures who age in dog years.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2018-08-02, 09:55

How old is the oldest "Ryan" in the US?
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-08-02, 09:57

Tim Wakefield wrote:How old is the oldest "Ryan" in the US?

Probably Ryan O'Neal, who is probably closing in on 80. He was likely one of your grandma's heartthrobs.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-08-02, 09:59

If Meyer goes, and if Paula does indeed have another hit piece planned, the pressure is going to be extreme for Dantonio to be gone, too. People will hold OSU up as an example of how such a situation should be handled despite having such a great and successful coach, and just highlight how "terrible" it is of MSU to keep Dantonio. Context, circumstances, and even truth be damned, the parallels will be drawn. You can bet Paula is already working this into her piece.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-08-02, 10:18

MiamiSpartan wrote:If Meyer goes, and if Paula does indeed have another hit piece planned, the pressure is going to be extreme for Dantonio to be gone, too. People will hold OSU up as an example of how such a situation should be handled despite having such a great and successful coach, and just highlight how "terrible" it is of MSU to keep Dantonio. Context, circumstances, and even truth be damned, the parallels will be drawn. You can bet Paula is already working this into her piece.

Dantonio followed the guidelines. Urban didn't. Any parallel seems to end there.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2018-08-02, 10:23

Yous all realize this is tOSU... and he committed no actual crime. He will sit half the season... and be very apologetic, learn his lesson through deep prayer with his pastor... and be back in time to coach against us in November. Urbz is tOSU. Remember pre-Urbz? Their administration does.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-08-02, 10:25

MiamiSpartan wrote:If Meyer goes, and if Paula does indeed have another hit piece planned, the pressure is going to be extreme for Dantonio to be gone, too.  People will hold OSU up as an example of how such a situation should be handled despite having such a great and successful coach, and just highlight how "terrible" it is of MSU to keep Dantonio.  Context, circumstances, and even truth be damned, the parallels will be drawn.  You can bet Paula is already working this into her piece.

Going to have to find wrong doing by Dantonio. Paula was a success at making us look bad but she failed to find any wrong doing by Izzo or Dantonio.

The real story is a 'boring' story and isn't a ratings monster that would involved the big name coaches at the major sports. It involves an apathetic president, an out of touch/dysfunctional board of directors, failures at the management level, people on the gymnastics program, the school of Osteopathic medicine and so on.

At best I think she found some shit that Hollis should have handled better but the details are too murky to even make a call on that.

I keep beating this drum, but everyone would have been better off if a more competent reporter like McMurphy or someone from Frontline or 60 Minutes took on the MSU story from the get go. The victims, the people that love MSU and everyone that got muddied up by that crap OTL story all deserved better.

Last edited by steveschneider on 2018-08-02, 10:27; edited 1 time in total
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2018-08-02, 10:26

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Yous all realize this is tOSU... and he committed no actual crime. He will sit half the season... and be very apologetic, learn his lesson through deep prayer with his pastor... and be back in time to coach against us in November. Urbz is tOSU. Remember pre-Urbz? Their administration does.

This is kinda where I am on this. I'll be shocked if he's gone for realz.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-08-02, 10:36

some dude is now saying he's about to release undercover video of Urban Meyer's "long history of abuse".. wtf?

maybe he's just trying to punk people?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2018-08-02, 10:41

Bob only cares about Ohio State.
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-08-02, 10:43

Tim Wakefield wrote:Bob only cares about Ohio State.
Bob cares about naps.

hoping I can get one in soon.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-08-02, 10:45

I'm just glad there's good sports stuff to talk about today. Off season must be coming to an end!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2018-08-02, 10:59

If You Think Urban Meyer's Career Is Over, You Underestimate The Power Of Winning
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-08-02, 11:15

Heat Miser wrote:If You Think Urban Meyer's Career Is Over, You Underestimate The Power Of Winning

That was a great read. Thing is OSU has so much talent in their back yard it is conceivable they continue the dominance without Meyer.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2018-08-02, 11:25

steveschneider wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:If You Think Urban Meyer's Career Is Over, You Underestimate The Power Of Winning

That was a great read. Thing is OSU has so much talent in their back yard it is conceivable they continue the dominance without Meyer.
Luke Finkell would disagree...

(and damn whoever posted a deadspin article. worse then espn)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-08-02, 11:46

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Luke Finkell would disagree...

(and damn whoever posted a deadspin article. worse then espn)

True. I just view it like this OSU is one of those schools that have a baked in advantage over other programs because CFB is a regional sport and they control the state. UofF is in a state loaded with top talent but there are two other major programs competing for that talent.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-08-02, 12:01

steveschneider wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:If Meyer goes, and if Paula does indeed have another hit piece planned, the pressure is going to be extreme for Dantonio to be gone, too.  People will hold OSU up as an example of how such a situation should be handled despite having such a great and successful coach, and just highlight how "terrible" it is of MSU to keep Dantonio.  Context, circumstances, and even truth be damned, the parallels will be drawn.  You can bet Paula is already working this into her piece.

Going to have to find wrong doing by Dantonio. Paula was a success at making us look bad but she failed to find any wrong doing by Izzo or Dantonio.

The real story is a 'boring' story and isn't a ratings monster that would involved the big name coaches at the major sports. It involves an apathetic president, an out of touch/dysfunctional board of directors, failures at the management level, people on the gymnastics program, the school of Osteopathic medicine and so on.

At best I think she found some shit that Hollis should have handled better but the details are too murky to even make a call on that.

I keep beating this drum, but everyone would have been better off if a more competent reporter like McMurphy or someone from Frontline or 60 Minutes took on the MSU story from the get go. The victims, the people that love MSU and everyone that got muddied up by that crap OTL story all deserved better.
I'm talking about the rumored upcoming story from Paula.  The OTL bullshit from this past winter is in the rear view mirror for all but a few idiots, so no worries about that.  What I'm saying is that if Urban goes over this, and then a month later Paula publishes the rumored story, then there are going to be very loud calls for Dantonio to go, and OSU will be held up as an example of how MSU should handle it.  Hopefully the facts clear MD unequivocally, but the mob doesn't wait for, nor care about, the facts.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-08-02, 12:27

MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I'm talking about the rumored upcoming story from Paula. The OTL bullshit from this past winter is in the rear view mirror for all but a few idiots, so no worries about that. What I'm saying is that if Urban goes over this, and then a month later Paula publishes the rumored story, then there are going to be very loud calls for Dantonio to go, and OSU will be head up as an example of how MSU should handle it. Hopefully the facts clear MD unequivocally, but the mob doesn't wait for, nor care about, the facts.

What are the facts of this rumored story? I don't want to wait.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-08-02, 13:44

NigelUno wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
I'm talking about the rumored upcoming story from Paula. The OTL bullshit from this past winter is in the rear view mirror for all but a few idiots, so no worries about that. What I'm saying is that if Urban goes over this, and then a month later Paula publishes the rumored story, then there are going to be very loud calls for Dantonio to go, and OSU will be head up as an example of how MSU should handle it. Hopefully the facts clear MD unequivocally, but the mob doesn't wait for, nor care about, the facts.

What are the facts of this rumored story? I don't want to wait.

Pure speculation but it has something to do with the womens basketball team and the football team.

I don't buy it. There's so many reporters around the program at all times, something credible would have come out at this point.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-08-02, 14:35

steveschneider wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

What are the facts of this rumored story?  I don't want to wait.  

Pure speculation but it has something to do with the womens basketball team and the football team.

I don't buy it. There's so many reporters around the program at all times, something credible would have come out at this point.
I'm definitely skeptical of the validity of the incident, but not that Paula is writing a piece about it that will make it sound like it's 100% fact that Dantonio and Merchant are co-conspirators in a criminal cover up.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 22  Next