Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

State Department to allow company to post downloadable 3d printed gun blueprints

+11
NigelUno
Watch Out Pylon!
Floyd Robertson
Travis of the Cosmos
TheReal_LWS
Rocinante
Robert J Sakimano
steveschneider
DWags
Other Teams Pursuing That
WhiteBoyHatcher
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

State Department to allow company to post downloadable 3d printed gun blueprints Empty State Department to allow company to post downloadable 3d printed gun blueprints

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-07-29, 11:42

I had seen some tweets on this and did some looking to see if this was just social media inspired hysteria. Nope, it's real. Starting August 1st, a Texas company will be posting online blueprints so anyone with a 3D printer can print out real plastic guns without serial numbers. This guy originally published these plans in 2013 and they were downloaded over 100,000 times before the federal government stepped in. Now the State Department has settled with him and his company and they are set to resume publishing in a few days.

This does not seem like a good idea

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-texas-3d-printed-gun-20180726-story.html
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

State Department to allow company to post downloadable 3d printed gun blueprints Empty Re: State Department to allow company to post downloadable 3d printed gun blueprints

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-07-29, 11:52

Maybe they can post a blueprint of a penis so people can just get one of those instead
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

State Department to allow company to post downloadable 3d printed gun blueprints Empty Re: State Department to allow company to post downloadable 3d printed gun blueprints

Post by DWags 2018-07-29, 14:47

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Maybe they can post a blueprint of a penis so people can just get one of those instead

State Department to allow company to post downloadable 3d printed gun blueprints 502811600
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-07-29, 15:34

So should 3D printers be kept locked up in a gun safe now?

How long does it take to print out one of these guns?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-07-29, 16:06

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Maybe they can post a blueprint of a penis so people can just get one of those instead
State Department to allow company to post downloadable 3d printed gun blueprints 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2018-07-31, 00:20

Just means more reasons to watch out for white people.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2018-07-31, 07:52

THIS IS SCARY! I drove into work slouched under my dashboard so I didn't get shot.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-07-31, 08:00

TheReal_LWS wrote:THIS IS SCARY! I drove into work slouched under my dashboard so I didn't get shot.

August 1st is tomorrow dipshit
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-07-31, 08:21

Can someone explain to me how this falls under the purview of the State Department as opposed to say, oh, I don't know, ATF or even the new government entity the NRA?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2018-07-31, 08:41

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:THIS IS SCARY! I drove into work slouched under my dashboard so I didn't get shot.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/30/us/pennsylvania-3d-guns-trnd/index.html

Yeah.....I am the dipstick.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-07-31, 08:51

TheReal_LWS wrote:

Thanks for finally figuring that out. Now let's work on being less dumb.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-07-31, 08:51

TheReal_LWS wrote:

I mean...... yeah. Yeah you are lws.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2018-07-31, 08:52

TheReal_LWS wrote:

AH yes. Typical Travboy......proven wrong so he goes into attack mode.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-07-31, 08:55

TheReal_LWS wrote:

I was in attack mode before you said anything to me genius.

All you had to do was wait 24 more hours for your hilarious gag. You were sooooooooo close! Next time buddy! You can do it!
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-07-31, 09:00

Paranoid, hate-filled racist knuckle-draggers are gonna knuckle-drag.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-07-31, 09:02

I hope everyone that downloads one of these blueprints gets put on a list and deported by the next president. Did you already get yours built Bee? You seem like the type that would need a few of these.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-07-31, 09:06

Anyway, as for the topic at hand.... they defended these blueprints as a free speech type of issue not a gun thing. Which is fair, they’re probably right. Problem obviously is that eventually one of these could be used in a place that a metal detector failed to pick up like an airport or a stadium or whatever. When that happens cops will use it as an excuse to increase security measures and be even more invasive in their searches of people, thereby violating way more people’s rights (and probably arresting people for totally unrelated shit) but people will go along with it in the name of safety. So what do you do about it? Shit I dunno. Someone’s rights are gonna get trampled somewhere in here.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-07-31, 09:12

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Paranoid, hate-filled racist knuckle-draggers are gonna knuckle-drag.

No worries. Trump said he talked to the NRA about it.

Kind of like bump stocks.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2018-07-31, 09:21

TheReal_LWS wrote:

I was in attack mode before you said anything to me genius.

All you had to do was wait 24 more hours for your hilarious gag. You were sooooooooo close! Next time buddy! You can do it!

So you are doubling down on your stupid...........
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-07-31, 09:26

I know little about guns and even less about 3D printing, but could the plastic used in 3D printing handle the force and heat of the explosion a gun creates?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-07-31, 09:29

MiamiSpartan wrote:I know little about guns and even less about 3D printing, but could the plastic used in 3D printing handle the force and heat of the explosion a gun creates?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DconsfGsXyA
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-07-31, 09:31

MiamiSpartan wrote:I know little about guns and even less about 3D printing, but could the plastic used in 3D printing handle the force and heat of the explosion a gun creates?  

I'm guessing they have a disclaimer on them stating that they are only safe for one firing or some limited amount of shots. The process of 3D printing is pretty easy, especially if you have dissolvable support material. People will still ignore these warning and have shit blow up in their hands.

Metal sintering machines are safer for gun printing, but the average person can't afford one of these machines yet.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-07-31, 09:54

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

I'm guessing they have a disclaimer on them stating that they are only safe for one firing or some limited amount of shots. The process of 3D printing is pretty easy, especially if you have dissolvable support material. People will still ignore these warning and have shit blow up in their hands.

Metal sintering machines are safer for gun printing, but the average person can't afford one of these machines yet.

The Vice Doc I linked to above will probably answer all the questions you have. Just saw these guys in Texas print off an AR-15 that is capable of firing off 27 shots. It's a community that is designing them on line. It's just a matter of time before they design one that is durable.

EDIT: just finished that last minute of the doc and it finishes with a gun that fires off 600 rounds semi automatic.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-07-31, 10:21

I don't see what could possibly go wrong with this.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-07-31, 11:06

NigelUno wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Paranoid, hate-filled racist knuckle-draggers are gonna knuckle-drag.

No worries. Trump said he talked to the NRA about it.

Kind of like bump stocks.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-07-31, 11:08

As much fun as it is to mock these fine Americans, it's kind of sad that they are in an emotional place in their life that they're afraid to go anywhere - even their own home - without a gun.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-07-31, 11:20

time for the media to stop using that photo of the clunky pistol.

https://twitter.com/senmarkey/status/1024309711171198976
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-07-31, 11:21

steveschneider wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

The Vice Doc I linked to above will probably answer all the questions you have. Just saw these guys in Texas print off an AR-15 that is capable of firing off 27 shots. It's a community that is designing them on line. It's just a matter of time before they design one that is durable.

EDIT: just finished that last minute of the doc and it finishes with a gun that fires off 600 rounds semi automatic.

That guy is only printing one small part of the gun though. I'm talking about a gun printed completely from a readily accessible home printer. The guy that dropped off the rest of the gun parts probably has a very expensive metal sintering machine. Last I checked the cheap ones were going for $250,000. This was about 10 years ago though. Maybe they've gotten a lot cheaper these days.

Anyway, yes you can get a hold of these types of guns that have no way to track them. But I bet it costs a shitload to get one that can pop off 600 rounds. Also, I do actually hope that everyone that does download the specs for one of these types of guns is being tracked in some way. Probably not though.

Honestly though, there are ways around all of this as well. If you're a whiz at reverse engineering and have CAD software you can design your very own gun from scratch and build it yourself. If you're motivated enough you will be able to get these guns with no one knowing that you have them.

Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-07-31, 11:25

steveschneider wrote:time for the media to stop using that photo of the clunky pistol.

Again, they're only printing the receiver. Who is making the rest of the gun? Honest question, I don't know.

I'm guessing the serial number is on the receiver so printing a new one gets around the ability to track the gun itself?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2018-07-31, 11:30

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
steveschneider wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

That guy is only printing one small part of the gun though. I'm talking about a gun printed completely from a readily accessible home printer. The guy that dropped off the rest of the gun parts probably has a very expensive metal sintering machine. Last I checked the cheap ones were going for $250,000. This was about 10 years ago though. Maybe they've gotten a lot cheaper these days.

Anyway, yes you can get a hold of these types of guns that have no way to track them. But I bet it costs a shitload to get one that can pop off 600 rounds. Also, I do actually hope that everyone that does download the specs for one of these types of guns is being tracked in some way. Probably not though.

Honestly though, there are ways around all of this as well. If you're a whiz at reverse engineering and have CAD software you can design your very own gun from scratch and build it yourself. If you're motivated enough you will be able to get these guns with no one knowing that you have them.

The old "we can't prevent everything so why bother trying to prevent anything" argument. An NRA/gun nut favorite.

If you're motivated enough you can get/do just about anything. Drive a car without license/insurance/seat belt. Distill your own alcohol. Grow your own dope, etc. That doesn't mean we give up trying to stop/curtail the activity via legislation/enforcement.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-07-31, 11:33

Heat Miser wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

The old "we can't prevent everything so why bother trying to prevent anything" argument. An NRA/gun nut favorite.

If you're motivated enough you can get/do just about anything. Drive a car without license/insurance/seat belt. Distill your own alcohol. Grow your own dope, etc. That doesn't mean we give up trying to stop/curtail the activity via legislation/enforcement.

If I came across as sounding like I'm saying "can't be stopped, fuck it" that wasn't my intent. Quite the opposite really. I'm just trying to figure out how these AR-15's are being manufactured.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-07-31, 11:35

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
steveschneider wrote:time for the media to stop using that photo of the clunky pistol.

Again, they're only printing the receiver. Who is making the rest of the gun? Honest question, I don't know.

I'm guessing the serial number is on the receiver so printing a new one gets around the ability to track the gun itself?

I guess the receiver is the only regulated part of the ar-15 you can buy all the other components no questions asked.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2018-07-31, 11:37

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

If I came across as sounding like I'm saying "can't be stopped, fuck it" that wasn't my intent. Quite the opposite really. I'm just trying to figure out how these AR-15's are being manufactured.

State Department to allow company to post downloadable 3d printed gun blueprints 328670334
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-07-31, 11:38

steveschneider wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

I guess the receiver is the only regulated part of the ar-15 you can buy all the other components no questions asked.

Gun enthusiasts, help us out here. Ty would know, but he's kind of crazy and rarely posts. How about you Bee? Care to fill us in?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-07-31, 11:55

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Gun enthusiasts, help us out here. Ty would know, but he's kind of crazy and rarely posts. How about you Bee? Care to fill us in?

"Louie used one to two dollars’ worth of plastic to print the gun part. After printing the piece, known as the lower receiver, Louie shelled out another $400 to $450 to complete the gun with unregulated parts he got from Amazon.com."

https://nypost.com/2013/12/06/3d-printer-and-452-makes-on-demand-ar-15/
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-07-31, 12:59

steveschneider wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

"Louie used one to two dollars’ worth of plastic to print the gun part. After printing the piece, known as the lower receiver, Louie shelled out another $400 to $450 to complete the gun with unregulated parts he got from Amazon.com."

https://nypost.com/2013/12/06/3d-printer-and-452-makes-on-demand-ar-15/

Mystery solved. We did it! cheers
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2018-07-31, 13:03

So does this put the NRA in a conundrum? I mean, they love having as many guns on the streets as possible but they definitely want you buying them from them instead of building your own, right?
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-07-31, 13:12

y2kMgrad wrote:So does this put the NRA in a conundrum? I mean, they love having as many guns on the streets as possible but they definitely want you buying them from them instead of building your own, right?

Short answer: Yup.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/elizabethmacbride/2018/07/31/when-it-comes-to-the-safety-of-3d-printed-guns-the-nra-is-conspicuously-silent/#a3fbb97622bf
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-07-31, 13:15

y2kMgrad wrote:So does this put the NRA in a conundrum? I mean, they love having as many guns on the streets as possible but they definitely want you buying them from them instead of building your own, right?

As it improves this technology is going to present a challenge to a lot of manufacturers not just the gun industry.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2018-07-31, 14:08

It will be interesting to see what happens to the NRA once gun owners no longer need gun manufacturers. Gun owners seem like the cudgel that gun manufacturers wield to impose their political will.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next