Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worst hit song by a Beatle, post band breakup

+10
loogoldham
steveschneider
MiamiSpartan
SawGreen
Floyd Robertson
The Pantry
Cameron
Rocinante
DWags
tGreenWay
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Worst hit song by a Beatle, post band breakup Empty Worst hit song by a Beatle, post band breakup

Post by tGreenWay Wed 1 Aug 2018 - 18:00

In a solo act: Gotta be Ringo with You’re Sixteen, right?

In the duet category, the winner/loser has to be Ebony & Ivory.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Worst hit song by a Beatle, post band breakup Empty Re: Worst hit song by a Beatle, post band breakup

Post by DWags Wed 1 Aug 2018 - 18:17

Live and let die.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Worst hit song by a Beatle, post band breakup Empty Re: Worst hit song by a Beatle, post band breakup

Post by Rocinante Wed 1 Aug 2018 - 18:30

Imagine because it's nonsense drivel

-Goose

Pretty sure he actually said this.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed 1 Aug 2018 - 18:52

Rocinante wrote:Imagine because it's nonsense drivel

-Goose

I've heard many people say that or something similar. And I've never not thought less of them afterwards.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 1 Aug 2018 - 19:19

I might’ve added McCartney’s My Brave Face, but Elvis Costello saves it—but only barely.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed 1 Aug 2018 - 19:23

All of their post breakup stuff (barring any song Yoko sang in) was better than the shit they did as the Beatles.

Last edited by The Pantry on Wed 1 Aug 2018 - 19:26; edited 1 time in total
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed 1 Aug 2018 - 19:24

Silly Love Songs, what do I win?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen Wed 1 Aug 2018 - 19:41

Some good ones. I immediately thought of Ebony and Ivory based on the thread title (though a nice song for the kiddies).

Wags, I kind of disagree with Live and Let Die because it was kind of built for a stadium.

I give Ringo a pass, purely on the name and personality.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 1 Aug 2018 - 20:26

-Goose

I did. And still do. It's a contender for the stupidest song of all time.

Exactly the kind of unrealistic drivel that attracts weak minds.

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man

Imagine all the people sharing all the world, you
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Did John or Yoko live it and give up their possessions? Have you? Of course not, they both fought and still fight for every nickel. Pure hypocrites.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Wed 1 Aug 2018 - 20:40

Lol. You argue tooth and nail for the “right to life”. Have you condemned the military or the death penalty or guns?

Pure hypocrite.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed 1 Aug 2018 - 21:30

Solo songs better than anything they did as the Beatles:

Lennon: #9 Dream
Harrison: What Is Life
Starr: Photograph

McCartney is the tough one because I never liked his voice. For him I have to go with Live or Let Die, because it was decent for the Bond flick intro.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 1 Aug 2018 - 21:44

LooseGoose wrote:

-Goose

I did. And still do. It's a contender for the stupidest song of all time.

Exactly the kind of unrealistic drivel that attracts weak minds.

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man

Imagine all the people sharing all the world, you
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Did John or Yoko live it and give up their possessions? Have you? Of course not, they both fought and still fight for every nickel. Pure hypocrites.
I could take the song or leave it, but since when do songs need to be realistic? Even the part you quoted is about how it is an idealistic dream.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 1 Aug 2018 - 21:45

Floyd Robertson wrote:Silly Love Songs, what do I win?

Worst hit song by a Beatle, post band breakup 1486952199 I am both pleased with this suggestion and
Worst hit song by a Beatle, post band breakup 1896033241 pissed you reminded me of its existence.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 1 Aug 2018 - 21:47

Pantry and Goose immediately remove themselves from contention.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed 1 Aug 2018 - 21:51

tGreenWay wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:Silly Love Songs, what do I win?

Worst hit song by a Beatle, post band breakup 1486952199 I am both pleased with this suggestion and
Worst hit song by a Beatle, post band breakup 1896033241 pissed you reminded me of its existence.

Worst hit song by a Beatle, post band breakup 1790780388 now I won't be the only one with that stupid sappy song rattling on and on in his head.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 1 Aug 2018 - 22:03

Floyd Robertson wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Worst hit song by a Beatle, post band breakup 1790780388 now I won't be the only one with that stupid sappy song rattling on and on in his head.

That’s it, Floyd. I’m ending this horrid ear worm for both of us: bom

Nope, that didn’t do it. We need a bigger bomb: Worst hit song by a Beatle, post band breakup 3775540924

p.s. Hi, NSA!
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 1 Aug 2018 - 22:25

Rocinante wrote:Lol. You argue tooth and nail for the “right to life”. Have you condemned the military or the death penalty or guns?

Pure hypocrite.

Jesus Christ man get a fucking grip.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 0:02

LooseGoose wrote:
Rocinante wrote:Lol. You argue tooth and nail for the “right to life”. Have you condemned the military or the death penalty or guns?

Pure hypocrite.

Jesus Christ man get a fucking grip.

My argument is exactly as stupid as yours.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 0:04

tGreenWay wrote:Pantry and Goose immediately remove themselves from contention.
Piss off, banana boy.

Name one Beatles song greater than any of the solos I posted without your skirt blowing up over your face.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 1:48

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Pantry and Goose immediately remove themselves from contention.
Piss off, banana boy.

Name one Beatles song greater than any of the solos I posted without your skirt blowing up over your face.

I’m not a huge fan of the Beatles, but off the top of my head:
•TTR
•Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
•Yesterday
•Hey Jude
•I wanna hold your hand
•Let it Be
•Hello Goodbye
•Paperback Writer

If I googled their catalogue, I’m sure I could come up with a bunch more.

Edit: Went back to look at your list of three. I agree Harrison’s work is right up there with the Beatles’ best stuff, but as for your other two suggestions, #9 Dream and Photograph, I say Pffft!
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 2:03

All pussy tunes.

After thinking about it more, I'm calling What Is Life the best song by any member of the Beatles.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 8:39

The Pantry wrote:All pussy tunes.

After thinking about it more, I'm calling What Is Life the best song by any member of the Beatles.
When you have already stated that you hate The Beatles, what is the point of asking which Beatles song is better than some non-Beatles song?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 8:49

The internet - the place where ordinary people go to trash greatness.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 9:06

steveschneider wrote:The internet - the place where ordinary people go to trash greatness.

Even greatness has it's bad moments.   Overall I love the Beatles though I think they were and are overrated.    That doesn't mean they weren't great.

Here's another list I read a couple weeks ago that you can argue over.....

All 227 Beatles songs ranked

By our calculations, the Beatles recorded 227 songs that were officially released over the years, not including BBC or live tracks.
Still, things get a little complicated in our list of All 227 Beatles Songs Ranked Worst to Best. We've included a handful of demo-like tracks featured on the Anthology collections that were originally intended as group songs but never fully recorded by the band at a time when the four Beatles – George Harrison, John Lennon, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr – were working independently from one another, anyway. We also included the two newly assembled songs found on the first two Anthologys that the surviving Beatles based around a pair of Lennon demos.

On the other hand, we've omitted a few official tracks that don't quite fit, like the two sketchy 1963 demos included on the 2013 iTunes exclusive The Beatles Bootleg Recordings, as well as alternate versions of songs found on the Anthology sets and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band expanded reissue. We stuck with the first-released and original versions – so, sorry, fans of "Lovely Rita (Speech and Take 9)."
We also judged the songs based on their officially released versions – so even though the Let It Be toss-off "Dig It" runs less than a minute on that album, longer (and better) versions included on bootleg records aren't eligible here.

I generally agreed with this list and it gives you an idea of how much they did when songs that I consider classics are ranked in the 60s of their output.

Last edited by LooseGoose on Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 9:24; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 9:14

steveschneider wrote:The internet - the place where ordinary people go to trash greatness.

I get this but it’s what we do. Jim Harbaugh is a way better ball coach than I am, but I can say he was a dumb ass for sending five guys down on a punt that had nobody back and 11 mother fuckers with bad intentions on the line of scrimmage coming after a punter
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 9:39

LooseGoose wrote:

Even greatness has it's bad moments. Overall I love the Beatles though I think they were and are overrated. That doesn't mean they weren't great.

By our calculations, the Beatles recorded 227 songs that were officially released over the years, not including BBC or live tracks.
Still, things get a little complicated in our list of All 227 Beatles Songs Ranked Worst to Best. We've included a handful of demo-like tracks featured on the Anthology collections that were originally intended as group songs but never fully recorded by the band at a time when the four Beatles – George Harrison, John Lennon, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr – were working independently from one another, anyway. We also included the two newly assembled songs found on the first two Anthologys that the surviving Beatles based around a pair of Lennon demos.

On the other hand, we've omitted a few official tracks that don't quite fit, like the two sketchy 1963 demos included on the 2013 iTunes exclusive The Beatles Bootleg Recordings, as well as alternate versions of songs found on the Anthology sets and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band expanded reissue. We stuck with the first-released and original versions – so, sorry, fans of "Lovely Rita (Speech and Take 9)."
We also judged the songs based on their officially released versions – so even though the Let It Be toss-off "Dig It" runs less than a minute on that album, longer (and better) versions included on bootleg records aren't eligible here.

I generally agreed with this list and it gives you and idea of how much they did when songs that I consider classics are ranked in the 60s of their output.

I was watching A YouTube video to Holy Wars and a Mustaine video came up where he talked about writing it. He had a guitar in lap and he was like and this part is like the Beatles. He slowed down the picking and sure enough you could hear it. Ozzy said his favorite band hands down was the Beatles. Lemmy, Zep...all on record as huge fans and worshipers. That’s just one genre they had a massive influence on.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 10:33

LooseGoose wrote:

Even greatness has it's bad moments.   Overall I love the Beatles though I think they were and are overrated.    That doesn't mean they weren't great.

I generally agreed with this list and it gives you an idea of how much they did when songs that I consider classics are ranked in the 60s of their output.

Am I the only one who thinks 40 was way too high for Long and Winding Road? I fucking hate that song.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 10:47

steveschneider wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

I generally agreed with this list and it gives you and idea of how much they did when songs that I consider classics are ranked in the 60s of their output.

I was watching A YouTube video to Holy Wars and a Mustaine video came up where he talked about writing it. He had a guitar in lap and he was like and this part is like the Beatles. He slowed down the picking and sure enough you could hear it. Ozzy said his favorite band hands down was the Beatles. Lemmy, Zep...all on record as huge fans and worshipers. That’s just one genre they had a massive influence on.
That would be cool to see.  Holy Wars is pretty much a very rare perfect song (go on, Pantry, tell me a song that's better!....no, don't really, because of course this is in my opinion based on my personal tastes).  

But I don't have a technical knowledge of music to really hear influences.  Metal artists are always talking about how The Beatles, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Beethoven, Mozart, etc. are their musical influences, but fuck if I can pick it out in a thrash metal song.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 11:09

MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

That would be cool to see.  Holy Wars is pretty much a very rare perfect song (go on, Pantry, tell me a song that's better!....no, don't really, because of course this is in my opinion based on my personal tastes).  

But I don't have a technical knowledge of music to really hear influences.  Metal artists are always talking about how The Beatles, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Beethoven, Mozart, etc. are their musical influences, but fuck if I can pick it out in a thrash metal song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kJQbpeSNZ0

The Beatles part is around 6:40. He fumbles through it and can't really remember the part but I can hear it once he gets it sort of right. Sounds like one of the guitar picked songs off of Abbey Road.

Another band that was a bunch of Beatle worshippers was Kiss.

Regarding Holy Wars I went down a youtube rabbit hole a little while back watching hip hop fans reacting to metal songs for the first time. There's two channels where the guys are hilarious and the Holy Wars videos were my favorite. They were flipping out to the drums, the riffs and especially that exotic middle eastern sounding solo when the song changes sections. Lucky them to hear that song for the first time. At any rate I let those videos play and it landed me on that mustaine vid with the guitar lesson. I had it on in the background and the Beatles part caught my ear. I didn't really watch the entire video but it seems like he rambles through it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by loogoldham Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 11:15

I hate that goddamn uncle albert/you haven't done a bloody thing allll daaaaaaaayyyyyyy/knockin on the door song with 80 parts and the revolutionary band interlude. Rubbish.
loogoldham
loogoldham
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 11:29

Ringo was pathetic. Name one GOOD song post Beatles?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 11:33

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Ringo was pathetic. Name one GOOD song post Beatles?

You Know It Ain't Easy?

Saw the Ringo All Stars play at Breslin back in the 90's. Peter Frampton, Jack Bruce, the dude from Free and a few others were there. Show kicked ass.

Had the pleasure of seeing Ringo Star at a press conference in the Jimmy Fallon stuidio about 7 years back. Jimmy was there praising him, Questlove etc were there. He played a few songs to us in the room. Fucking awesome shit. Guy looked great for his age, I love how positive he is and I don't think there was a person in the room that wasn't thrilled to hear him hit the drums.

Seen tons of Ringo bashing over the years guy could play. His drumming served the muse, I don't know how much more complex the drumming should have been to satisfy the haters without it ruining the balance of those songs.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 11:35

loogoldham wrote:I hate that goddamn uncle albert/you haven't done a bloody thing allll daaaaaaaayyyyyyy/knockin on the door song with 80 parts and the revolutionary band interlude. Rubbish.

That's Band on the Run, right? It's like three songs jammed together which is a Paul McCartney classic move. He's got a bunch of 2 30 second songs so he smushes them.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 11:37

In my life is an objectively good beatles song.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 12:03

Rocinante wrote:
loogoldham wrote:I hate that goddamn uncle albert/you haven't done a bloody thing allll daaaaaaaayyyyyyy/knockin on the door song with 80 parts and the revolutionary band interlude. Rubbish.

That's Band on the Run, right? It's like three songs jammed together which is a Paul McCartney classic move. He's got a bunch of 2 30 second songs so he smushes them.

I think he's referring to this steaming pile.......Uncle Albert Admiral Halsey

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 12:05

Cameron wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks 40 was way too high for Long and Winding Road? I fucking hate that song.

I'd agree with you there - the 2 underrated songs I was referring to the in 60s were Sgt Pepper @64 and All My Loving @63 - I think both deserve to be higher.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 12:07

And to carry on....Something @14 is just wrong. It's Top5.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 12:17

Rocinante wrote:In my life is an objectively good beatles song.

Yours is an objectively good suggestion.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 12:17

LooseGoose wrote:And to carry on....Something @14 is just wrong. It's Top5.

Carry on, my wayward son.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 12:24

LooseGoose wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

I think he's referring to this steaming pile.......Uncle Albert Admiral Halsey

Linda McCartney was a lovely woman though.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next