Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The facts of life are you just can’t live forever

+8
MiamiSpartan
Watch Out Pylon!
Rocinante
TheReal_LWS
NigelUno
Robert J Sakimano
tGreenWay
DWags
12 posters

Go down

The facts of life are you just can’t live forever  Empty The facts of life are you just can’t live forever

Post by DWags Sun 5 Aug 2018 - 23:34

Mrs whatever her name was dies at 92.
http://m.tmz.com/#!2018/08/05/facts-of-life-and-diffrent-strokes-star-charlotte-rae-dead-at-92/

RIP
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The facts of life are you just can’t live forever  Empty Re: The facts of life are you just can’t live forever

Post by tGreenWay Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 0:55

Rarely watched, but never understood why that Blair character had such a “I’m hot stuff” attitude when she was really just another chubby girl with a marginally-cute face.
What was that other girl’s name—Doody?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

The facts of life are you just can’t live forever  Empty Re: The facts of life are you just can’t live forever

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 10:31

I remember thinkin' Jo was the cutest girl on The Facts of Life..

of course, that probably says more about me than anything - just liked her style more.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 10:40

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I remember thinkin' Jo was the cutest girl on The Facts of Life..

of course, that probably says more about me than anything - just liked her style more.

The facts of life are you just can’t live forever  20151214-GFM-Blog-Nancy-McKeon-400
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 11:13

tGreenWay wrote:Rarely watched, but never understood why that Blair character had such a “I’m hot stuff” attitude when she was really just another chubby girl with a marginally-cute face.

I'm sure your opinion would just devastate her.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 11:54

tGreenWay wrote:Rarely watched, but never understood why that Blair character had such a “I’m hot stuff” attitude when she was really just another chubby girl with a marginally-cute face.

Maybe she was...acting?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 12:09

Actually, with gene editing technology, someday in the not-too-distant future...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/12/15/scientists-reverse-ageing-mammals-predict-human-trials-within/
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 13:05

NigelUno wrote:

Maybe she was...acting?

You think?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 13:06

TheReal_LWS wrote:

I'm sure your opinion would just devastate her.

Speaking of doody...
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 13:12

Ever watched, but my sister called it the fats of life.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 13:30

Rocinante wrote:Actually, with gene editing technology, someday in the not-too-distant future...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/12/15/scientists-reverse-ageing-mammals-predict-human-trials-within/

I like the Altered Carbon version of "immortal" life. If I get too fat I can kill myself and have my stored consciousness uploaded into my next sexy body. No more working out baby!

I just gotta be ultra rich. No big deal.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 13:52

For a kid and teen in the 80s, pretty much everyone watched it.  Not religiously like we do with shows today in the DVR and streaming age.  There's talk of doing a re-boot of it.  

It's one of those shows that nearly everyone of my generation watched, but I don't think many actually liked all that much (at least not guys).  Ahh, life with three TV channels.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 14:05

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Rocinante wrote:Actually, with gene editing technology, someday in the not-too-distant future...

I like the Altered Carbon version of "immortal" life. If I get too fat I can kill myself and have my stored consciousness uploaded into my next sexy body. No more working out baby!

I just gotta be ultra rich. No big deal.

Haven't been watching westworld huh? It doesn't always work how you want it.
The facts of life are you just can’t live forever  1_IQ2mejvj_plpY2OaUj65Xg.1526070531
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 14:10

MiamiSpartan wrote:For a kid and teen in the 80s, pretty much everyone watched it.  Not religiously like we do with shows today in the DVR and streaming age.  There's talk of doing a re-boot of it.  

It's one of those shows that nearly everyone of my generation watched, but I don't think many actually liked all that much (at least not guys).  Ahh, life with three TV channels.

This is very true.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 14:21

Luckily I was too old and too busy back then for it, never saw an episode of either show. Different Strokes or The Facts of Life.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 14:21

And to pre-empt the smart asses here - yes I know you wish i was too busy now.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 14:35

LooseGoose wrote:And to pre-empt the smart asses here - yes I know you wish i was too busy now.
I dunno, man.. I kinda like the folksy homespun posts about Mio, canoeing, and the unmistakable sultry sounds of the clippity-clop of horses at the Grand Hotel.

The facts of life are you just can’t live forever  2599972566
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 15:36

LooseGoose wrote:Luckily I was too old and too busy back then for it, never saw an episode of either show. Different Strokes or The Facts of Life.
I know this is the most obvious response in the world, but seriously, What you talkin' bout, Willis?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 15:40

if anyone would like to treat themselves to the theme song..

(I had no idea that Molly Ringwald was on the show)... The facts of life are you just can’t live forever  2599972566
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 15:43

Robert J Sakimano wrote:if anyone would like to treat themselves to the theme song..

(I had no idea that Molly Ringwald was on the show)....The facts of life are you just can’t live forever  2599972566

Were you in love with her? My oldest son loved her in the Breakfast club, I used to call him Johnny and he hated it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 16:04

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:if anyone would like to treat themselves to the theme song..

(I had no idea that Molly Ringwald was on the show)....The facts of life are you just can’t live forever  2599972566

Were you in love with her? My oldest son loved her in the Breakfast club, I used to call him Johnny and he hated it.
no.. she wasn't my type.

I remember think the chick if Footloose was easy on the eyes when I was 14. The facts of life are you just can’t live forever  502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 16:19

Molly Ringwald was hot.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 16:20

LooseGoose wrote:

I had the hots for the ally sheedy character, pre-makeover. So hot.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 16:26

MiamiSpartan wrote:For a kid and teen in the 80s, pretty much everyone watched it.  Not religiously like we do with shows today in the DVR and streaming age.  There's talk of doing a re-boot of it.  

This was true for me, but mostly didn’t watch them. I couldn’t stand most of the sitcoms of the 70s & 80s. There was All in the Family and then almost everything else. I’m sure there were some I liked, but I couldn’t stand The Jefferson’s, Maude, Facts of Life, Silver Spoons, etc., and all those terrible 80s shows. God awful, stupid, and not the least bit funny. Just like Travis.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 16:40

After school I watched:
He man
GI Joe
Transformers
Happy days
Laverne and Shirley
Mork and mindy
Alice
One day at a time
Different strokes
Nick at night (leave it to beaver, mr. ed, my three sons, the patty duke show)

That's all I can remember off the top of my head.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 16:40

I was literally raised by television.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 17:12

Rocinante wrote:I was literally raised by television.

Now I know the source of our love. You watched Mr. Ed. With that and Green Acres you could have a wholesome upbringing by the Tube.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 17:36

I watched a little Green Acres. I never really liked Sza Sza. Also, it had kind of a dark undertone. Wasn't the implication that he had had a mental breakdown and that's why they moved?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 17:44

Rocinante wrote:I watched a little Green Acres.  I never really liked Sza Sza.  Also, it had kind of a dark undertone.  Wasn't the implication that he had had a mental breakdown and that's why they moved?

Nah, he was a big city lawyer that had dreamed of farming.   The premise was the smart, rich, city lawyer getting outwitted at least part of the time by the bumpkins.  It was part of the "rural" shows that gave CBS high ratings in the country but not the cities so they killed them.    I still remember my farmer relatives being peeved at their favorite shows getting the ax...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rural_purge

The numerous cancellations prompted Pat Buttram ("Mr. Haney" on one of the canceled shows, Green Acres) to make the observation: "It was the year CBS canceled everything with a tree—including Lassie".[9][10]

The first rural-themed show canceled by Silverman was Petticoat Junction in 1970. In September 1970, The Mary Tyler Moore Show premiered on CBS. All in the Family premiered in January 1971 as a midseason replacement. Both series provided the urban demographic, cutting-edge social relevance, and ratings that CBS sought.[citation needed] These ratings successes prompted Silverman and the network to cancel Green Acres, The Beverly Hillbillies, Mayberry R.F.D., Hee Haw, and The Jim Nabors Hour at the end of the 1970–71 season, as well as cut short The New Andy Griffith Show, a comeback vehicle for Andy Griffith, after only ten episodes. (The New Andy Griffith Show was a last-minute replacement for Headmaster, Griffith's unsuccessful effort to reach a more refined, urban audience; Headmaster was canceled after only 14 episodes.) Another series, The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour, lasted until the end of the 1971–72 season.[citation needed]

ABC also was looking for younger audiences, and in May 1971 canceled shows that skewed toward rural viewers (such as The Johnny Cash Show) or older viewers (Make Room for Granddaddy and The Lawrence Welk Show). NBC also targeted rural- and older-oriented programs in its cuts, eliminating long-running programs such as Wild Kingdom, The Andy Williams Show and The Virginian, all of which ran nine seasons or more.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 18:12

Nah man. They say it's his "dream" to be a farmer, but really he had a breakdown. That's why he drives his tractor wearing a suit and never has to worry about money even though he's a terrible farmer and believes everyone is talking with a pig except him. He's bonkers.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 18:28

Rocinante wrote:Molly Ringwald was hot.
I have never seen someone admit that in public. Not one single time. It's like I don't even know you, Roc.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 19:22

Floyd, I'm not gonna lie. I agree with Roc on this one.
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down