Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michigan Lake House Rental - questions for owners

4 posters

Go down

Michigan Lake House Rental - questions for owners Empty Michigan Lake House Rental - questions for owners

Post by Munn Field 2014-06-25, 16:23

So, I am considering (and trying to sell my wife on) the purchase of a northern Michigan lake house. The idea would be to purchase the house and rent it just about as much as we can (at least for the first few years) while saving a couple weeks a year for the family. The idea would be to buy on a lake in Otsego, Kalkaska, or Antrim Counties. I think there are some on this board that have some experience with this. If so, how much fall/winter traffic do you get? I picked the location in large part because you can get four season traffic/usage (right near golf courses and ski resorts), but for a lake house that is not not on a resort property (i.e., Boyne/Shanty Creek) do you actually get decent rentals during the fall and winter? Also, how do you go about renting (do use a website like VRBO)? How does that work? Finally, what are the pains in the ass/issues that I may not be thinking about (I have been a home owner for many years, but never rented a property so far from my actual home)? Thanks for any input.
Munn Field
Munn Field
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Michigan Lake House Rental - questions for owners Empty Re: Michigan Lake House Rental - questions for owners

Post by By-Tor 2014-06-25, 16:32

As a person who rents often through vrbo/home away etc. if I'm not 10 mins or less from a ski lift I would never consider it. If kids are involved we look to be even closer to the lifts. .02
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Michigan Lake House Rental - questions for owners Empty Re: Michigan Lake House Rental - questions for owners

Post by tGreenWay 2014-06-25, 16:35

Our family owned a couple of places on Walloon Lake. Until my grandparents fully retired and moved North, we would rent to teachers for the school year. It worked perfectly, although it requires doing some real research to make sure you rent to someone responsible.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-06-25, 16:42

http://www.vrbo.com/info/list-your-property?cid=E_utah_NL_T_20101020_join_text_LO1_1

http://help.vrbo.com/articles/en_US/Article/What-are-the-risks-associated-with-renting-out-my-property?category=Security

http://www.vrbo.com/global/protect_yourself.htm
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down