Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Failing a class at MSU

+26
K9 Guzzler
MSUgöat
Floyd Robertson
Giant Moose
Robert J Sakimano
tanfan!
Cosmo_Kramer
Ass Dan
Gomer
Three_Putt_Par
tTy
DroppedByADime
NigelUno
CrazySparty
MSU Mathguy
Murphy Green
Throwback702
y2kMgrad
Snake Plissken
Turf
Turtleneck
Stoops21
Code_Warrior
WhiteBoyHatcher
The Pantry
Other Teams Pursuing That
30 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Failing a class at MSU Empty Failing a class at MSU

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 20:08

It's not that big of a deal, right?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Failing a class at MSU Empty Re: Failing a class at MSU

Post by The Pantry Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 20:14

You mean beside the cash you wasted on it?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 20:17

The Pantry wrote:You mean beside the cash you wasted on it?

Outside of that, yeah. But what's another 2 grand in debt?

PS, if you're good at math, you're a twat.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 20:19

I failed many of them. My GPA was shit. I am doing pretty ok. Don't sweat it.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 20:22

Depends. Is it your first time failing it, or your 3rd time? Also, is it a core class for your degree or just an elective?

I failed EE 307 with a zero point 3 consecutive times - all with the same prof. The prof wasn't a bad guy, I just couldn't learn from him. Back then (the early 80s) it was 3 strikes and you're out, you couldn't repeat the class again. Since EE 307 was one of my core classes, I was pretty well screwed. I went to see my counselor and she looked at my grades and saw that I had 3.5s and 4.0s in my other core classes that were much harder, so she went to the dean of the Engineering School and we sat down and talked about it.

The dean agreed to let me take the class a 4th time over the summer with a different prof Bong Ho, who was one of my favorite profs and his name was just awesome. I got a 3.5 in the class, but since my 3 zero points were averaged in, it really f'd up my GPA. But at least I got through.

The thing is, I wasn't the only student having problems learning from that prof. By the end of the next winter term (we were on terms back then then rather than semesters), that prof was no longer teaching at MSU. He was a nice guy, just not a great teacher I guess.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoops21 Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 20:28

What class did you fail and why? Just curious about what class took you down. Too much drinking?
Stoops21
Stoops21
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 20:38

Stoops21 wrote:What class did you fail and why? Just curious about what class took you down. Too much drinking?

Calculus. Took it once, disaster. Professor moved way too fast, didn't take it in high school like the majority of the rest of class did...I was done halfway through the year.

This time...taking it online.. procrastinated too much on the first two exams. Got back from Vegas the day before the first exam...I know it's my fault so not looking to deflect anything, just venting. Finally, third exam is tomorrow, and I actually started preparing early but I think it's too late.

Tough to take 9 credits and work when your friends are out drinking every other night.. I don't have the best self discipline.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 20:51

lol. Calculus was the first class I failed at MSU, too. Russian prof + Asian TA + never had been exposed to it in HS (I took "pre-calq", which wasn't even remotely the same) + living off campus = big time 0.0
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 21:12

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Calculus. Took it once, disaster. Professor moved way too fast, didn't take it in high school like the majority of the rest of class did...I was done halfway through the year.

This time...taking it online.. procrastinated too much on the first two exams. Got back from Vegas the day before the first exam...I know it's my fault so not looking to deflect anything, just venting. Finally, third exam is tomorrow, and I actually started preparing early but I think it's too late.

Tough to take 9 credits and work when your friends are out drinking every other night.. I don't have the best self discipline.

Blame the unions. It's not your fault.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 21:19

Outside of that, yeah. But what's another 2 grand in debt?

PS, if you're good at math, you're a twat.
Had a trig class (109) 78 winter term freshman year with about 300 people at Wells.   Walked out of the final of 20 problems before anyone else knowing I nailed it.  Out of curiosity went to see my recitation TA a couple weeks later to see how I did.  Said I got all of the answers correct and was #1 in the class.  Asked him why my final was scored only 198 of 200 possible points.  He replied the prof didn't like the math I used to get one of the correct answers.  What a dickhead.

Consider me a semi-math twat.  Have forgotten more trig than most have ever known.  Cad and solid modeling software have pretty much made trig a lost art

Last edited by The Pantry on Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 21:50; edited 1 time in total
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turf Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 21:19

math TAs are generally foreign speakers who have a tenuous grasp of english, and don't have a clue how to teach people in my experience. i failed calc first time through with a chinese TA. second time i had a romanian TA who was equally awful. i had the second highest score in the class however, a 2.0. one dude got a 2.5. over half the class failed. back then scores were posted on a wall with student numbers, so you could see what everyone else got.

my vietnamese daughter failed calc last spring taught by a chinese TA who could barely speak english.

the math department needs to hire teachers, or send potential TAs to college of education classes.
Turf
Turf
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 21:23

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Got back from Vegas the day before the first exam....
Did you have fun? Win $$$? Eff math.
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 21:29

Haha I used to hook up with a chick who failed out of MSU. She was dumb as rocks but very hot.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 21:31

Snake Plissken wrote:
Did you have fun? Win $$$? Eff math.

Had a shit ton of fun, lost a decent amount of money. Great fucking time though. I don't regret it.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Throwback702 Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 21:40

Calc took me down too. Had an Indian T.A that never changed his clothes and smelled like shit. Stopped going to class after a few weeks and failed that sucker like a pro. I don't think it was a core class because I don't remember taking it over.
Throwback702
Throwback702
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 21:47

Turf1 wrote:math TAs are generally foreign speakers who have a tenuous grasp of english, and don't have a clue how to teach people in my experience. i failed calc first time through with a chinese TA. second time i had a romanian TA who was equally awful. i had the second highest score in the class however, a 2.0. one dude got a 2.5. over half the class failed. back then scores were posted on a wall with student numbers, so you could see what everyone else got.

my vietnamese daughter failed calc last spring taught by a chinese TA who could barely speak english.

the math department needs to hire teachers, or send potential TAs to college of education classes.
My first statistics prof was from India. Understood only every 4th or 5th word out of his mouth. Ended up with a 2.5.

My next stats prof (317) was intelligible. 3.5
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Murphy Green Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 21:52

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Tough to take 9 credits and work when your friends are out drinking every other night.. I don't have the best self discipline.

Happened to me as well. That is, going to school summer term while also working and none of my friends in EL for the summer were going to school, just hanging out, partying and working. Luckily I had taken several half term classes and did well in them but my Stat class was the entire term and I had a foreign TA teaching it. We could barely understand her and when I went up to ask her after class to explain something, I couldn't get within 6 feet of her, she smelled so bad. I had 4 Stat classes at State and in the 3 I'd already had I had 4 pointed them; I was barely at 2 point that summer. So, I went in and was able to talk my way into an incomplete. Took it in the Fall with a real prof and got a 4 point.
Murphy Green
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU Mathguy Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 22:24

Profs have office hours for a reason. Apparently, you didn't know that. Plus the U has a free math help desk.
BTW, most math folks know better than to gamble or buy lottery tickets.  tongue 
MSU Mathguy
MSU Mathguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazySparty Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 22:54

Took ISS 310(People and the Environment) my junior year. I had a 0.0 GPA going into the second to last exam before somehow salvaging a 2.5 in the class. Never thought I'd be so proud of a 2.5
CrazySparty
CrazySparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoops21 Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 23:16

Do you even need calc for your degree.....I also don't blame you one bit
Stoops21
Stoops21
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu 26 Jun 2014 - 0:07

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:It's not that big of a deal, right?

Nope.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedByADime Thu 26 Jun 2014 - 0:46

I think I got a 3.5 in calc.

Today, I just remember you subtract 1 and divide

Lol. Shit sucks.
DroppedByADime
DroppedByADime
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy Thu 26 Jun 2014 - 1:05

I took a year of calc in HS. It was fucking tough. Got to MSU, signed up for calc = same fucking book in Lyman Briggs. I never opened the book for the entire year and aced the whole year. Piece of cake. My HS teach was worlds better than my college prof too, what a fucking sham.

I failed a 1 credit accounting class though that ended up delaying my diploma by about a decade. Long story. Prolly deserves it's own thread.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoops21 Thu 26 Jun 2014 - 1:07

tTy wrote:I took a year of calc in HS.  It was fucking tough.  Got to MSU, signed up for calc = same fucking book in Lyman Briggs.  I never opened the book for the entire year and aced the whole year.  Piece of cake.  My HS teach was worlds better than my college prof too, what a fucking sham.

I failed a 1 credit accounting class though that ended up delaying my diploma by about a decade.  Long story.  Prolly deserves it's own thread.

Lol......go on
 Failing a class at MSU 276803595 
Stoops21
Stoops21
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Three_Putt_Par Thu 26 Jun 2014 - 1:37

tTy wrote:I took a year of calc in HS.  It was fucking tough.  Got to MSU, signed up for calc = same fucking book in Lyman Briggs.  I never opened the book for the entire year and aced the whole year.  Piece of cake.  My HS teach was worlds better than my college prof too, what a fucking sham.

I failed a 1 credit accounting class though that ended up delaying my diploma by about a decade.  Long story.  Prolly deserves it's own thread.

I failed a 1 credit lab. Somehow it was the only class I failed at MSU. Luckly, it didn't delay my graduation, but almost did (thank you summer classes).

I was never good at labs, o well.
Three_Putt_Par
Three_Putt_Par
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Three_Putt_Par Thu 26 Jun 2014 - 1:39

MSU Mathguy wrote:

Profs have office hours for a reason. Apparently, you didn't know that. Plus the U has a free math help desk.
BTW, most math folks know better than to gamble or buy lottery tickets.  tongue 

I used the free math help (the math learning center) to get through Calculus. I would advise OTPT to try that, couldn't learn from the shitty math profs.
Three_Putt_Par
Three_Putt_Par
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy Thu 26 Jun 2014 - 1:41

Stoops21 wrote:

Lol......go on
 Failing a class at MSU 276803595 

Cliffs notes version =

I interviewed for an internal auditor position at a bank in Port Huron

Got an offer

Accepted offer

Got shitfaced (surprising, yes, I know)

Went to my 1 credit Government and Not For Profit Accounting final the next day without giving a flying ****, prolly drew smiley faces and shit on the exam.

Failed Exam

Consequently failed class

One credit short to receive diploma

In the meantime I had already moved to Port Huron and began work

Found out after I had already began work

Kept secret for ~8 years

Oh, forgot to add that my father called MSU posing as me to find out if I had actually received my diploma because my name did not show up in the graduation directory or whatever the **** (lmfao in hindsight)

Dad called me out on it

I admitted that I had wasted the past 5.5 years of my life being a fucking partier, but at least now I had a real job so get off me, or something.

Kept up the facade for like 7 or 8 years until I interviewed for my current job

Came clean in that interview now that the internet had been invented and told them that, if hired, I'd complete the 1 credit I needed to get my degree

They offered

I accepted

I ended up contacting some bitch at the business college RE: same

She told me that I needed to meet face to face

Don't remember the meeting but we worked out that I'd take a 3 credit packaging class, pay like 1500 bucks, and MSU would give me my diploma

lol

I agreed

Took the class

I still remember the first question on the first exam was "If you had to carry a liquid, what would you choose to carry it in? a) your pocket b) a carboard box c) a plastic container d) none of the above" That is no shit.

Anyway, passed the Packaging class and now I have my Accounting diploma #Isn'tItIronic?

To the best of my knowledge and recollection, none of this is embellished at all.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer Thu 26 Jun 2014 - 1:54

I took this self study physics course the first year I transferred in. CBE Concept Based Education or some shit. You were supposed to study on your own and go take the tests whenever you wanted. The faster your pace, the more potential points you could score, the slower the opposite. 

Yeah.  I got behind and zero pointed that shit. Oof. That's a kick in the nuts. In order to not ffuck up my scheduling I had to retake it in the summer. Which meant I had to prep for a handful of tests, commute 150 miles to take them, and drive back that or the next day. All while working 60 hour weeks in the summer. Had a local EL piece though so it worked out. Hammered out the tests and 4 pointed it, replacing the zero!

So I'm all cocky then and fall of the following year signed up for the second semester of the same course thinking I had learned my lesson.  NOPE. Got behind and zero pointed that shit again! Retook it in the spring and replaced it with a 3.5

Then there was Calc IV. First day of class, maybe 25 kids in the room, the prof whispers, "everyone move as close as possible, this is as loud as I can talk."  Dr. Volberg. I'm thinking, "yeah, let me find you out on the river trail some night, I bet I can get you to make some noise."

I was the sort who didn't sweat exams. I'd roll in to finals with fast food and take a break to eat at my desk. Hell, I spent the first 30 minutes of my thermodynamics exam just staring at it drawing blanks before I took a short nap and destroyed that thing. Set the curve and 4 pointed the class. 

So the first of 3 total exams for Calc IV comes along and I coast into the first one like it ain't shit. Wrong answer. Lots of them. I think I scored a 17. Yes. Out of 100. Again, I needed Calc IV as it was a prerequisite for a lot of the 400 level courses I needed to take that were only offered spring or fall, not both. So dropping the class was out of the question. 17 out of 100 is one foot deep in the grave. That's like spotting the other team 4 TDs and a safety in the first quarter. 

I stuck it out. Went to every study session in smelly ass Wells Hall. Walked out of there with a one fucking five. Ouch. But that's passing, folks!

All told I pulled a 3.4 cumulative. I can live with that.
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy Thu 26 Jun 2014 - 1:58

Gomer wrote:I took this self study physics course the first year I transferred in. CBE Concept Based Education or some shit. You were supposed to study on your own and go take the tests whenever you wanted. The faster your pace, the more potential points you could score, the slower the opposite. 

Yeah.  I got behind and zero pointed that shit. Oof. That's a kick in the nuts. In order to not ffuck up my scheduling I had to retake it in the summer. Which meant I had to prep for a handful of tests, commute 150 miles to take them, and drive back that or the next day. All while working 60 hour weeks in the summer. Had a local EL piece though so it worked out. Hammered out the tests and 4 pointed it, replacing the zero!

So I'm all cocky then and fall of the following year signed up for the second semester of the same course thinking I had learned my lesson.  NOPE. Got behind and zero pointed that shit again! Retook it in the spring and replaced it with a 3.5

Then there was Calc IV. First day of class, maybe 25 kids in the room, the prof whispers, "everyone move as close as possible, this is as loud as I can talk."  Dr. Volberg. I'm thinking, "yeah, let me find you out on the river trail some night, I bet I can get you to make some noise."

I was the sort who didn't sweat exams. I'd roll in to finals with fast food and take a break to eat at my desk. Hell, I spent the first 30 minutes of my thermodynamics exam just staring at it drawing blanks before I took a short nap and destroyed that thing. Set the curve and 4 pointed the class. 

So the first of 3 total exams for Calc IV comes along and I coast into the first one like it ain't shit. Wrong answer. Lots of them. I think I scored a 17. Yes. Out of 100. Again, I needed Calc IV as it was a prerequisite for a lot of the 400 level courses I needed to take that were only offered spring or fall, not both. So dropping the class was out of the question. 17 out of 100 is one foot deep in the grave. That's like spotting the other team 4 TDs and a safety in the first quarter. 

I stuck it out. Went to every study session in smelly ass Wells Hall. Walked out of there with a one fucking five. Ouch. But that's passing, folks!

Failing a class at MSU 1966794946 Failing a class at MSU 1966794946 Failing a class at MSU 1966794946 
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan Thu 26 Jun 2014 - 2:10

Not at Msu but just retook a class, gonna have to retake another this upcoming semester.

Math classes are great and I love them, econ classes can lick my asshole raw.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy Thu 26 Jun 2014 - 2:12

Ass Dan wrote:Not at Msu but just retook a class, gonna have to retake another this upcoming semester.

Math classes are great and I love them, econ classes can lick my asshole raw.

Econ = Basically just drawring pictures

Econ:Math::Coloring:FineArt
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan Thu 26 Jun 2014 - 2:15

tTy wrote:

Econ = Basically just drawring pictures

Econ:Math::Coloring:FineArt

Exactly. That's what you think because that's what the first exam is on, then the next ten weeks you tune it because "it's just econ, what's the big fucking deal" and then you have to explain why you got a D in econ.

Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy Thu 26 Jun 2014 - 2:18

Ass Dan wrote:

Exactly. That's what you think because that's what the first exam is on, then the next ten weeks you tune it because "it's just econ, what's the big fucking deal" and then you have to explain why you got a D in econ.

Easy:  Obama
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan Thu 26 Jun 2014 - 2:20

tTy is becoming my favorite poster on this board
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy Thu 26 Jun 2014 - 2:25

Ass Dan wrote:tTy is becoming my favorite poster on this board

Well, to be fair, I think I've only really been a regular poster here since I began my "drink 810 beers sabbatical" and, frankly, I have only been 100% sober for 2 of the days since that thread started. And this is NOT one of them.

So, maybe it's just the booze talkin......

Awwww **** it, I love you too Ass Dan!!!!!!!!  Failing a class at MSU 3557613862 
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer Thu 26 Jun 2014 - 2:53

y2kMgrad wrote:Haha I used to hook up with a chick who failed out of MSU. She was dumb as rocks but very hot.

No she wasn't
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! Thu 26 Jun 2014 - 8:57

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I failed many of them. My GPA was shit. I am doing pretty ok. Don't sweat it.

What is it that you do? I've always wondered because you seem to have a lot if money
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! Thu 26 Jun 2014 - 9:01

Gomer wrote:I took this self study physics course the first year I transferred in. CBE Concept Based Education or some shit. You were supposed to study on your own and go take the tests whenever you wanted. The faster your pace, the more potential points you could score, the slower the opposite. 

But it only took you 6 years to graduate. Well done.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! Thu 26 Jun 2014 - 9:13

I took this English history class that was god awful. It was part of my core major so I had to take some type if history class. Made the mistake of taking this particular history class. It was the most boringest subject I ever encountered. You had to know every single fucking royal and who fought in what stupid war. I walked into the mid term and read the 1000 word first essay question. I knew it was the last day for drops and adds. So I got up. Gathered my shit. At this point the entire class is looking at me. So I then saluted the class and the morbidly obese ugly chick prof and walked out. Headed over to drops and adds and dropped it. Four less credits for that semester I then partied my ass off.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 26 Jun 2014 - 9:16

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:It's not that big of a deal, right?
check with the folks in the Charter Schools thread.. they know more about public education than you can possibly fathom.. and they don't even work in the field of education!

it's really impressive.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next