Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Urgh.. Wondering If/When This Sort of Thing Will Stop..

+5
Death Roe
DWags
InTenSity
I.B. Fine
Robert J Sakimano
9 posters

Go down

Urgh.. Wondering If/When This Sort of Thing Will Stop..  Empty Urgh.. Wondering If/When This Sort of Thing Will Stop..

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:51 pm

parents, whether it's coaches, teachers, dance instructors, neighbors - anyone - you simply can't be too trusting - unfortunately, you just can't.   No

IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — A prominent Iowa youth basketball coach faces potentially decades in prison after admitting to a yearslong pattern of sexually exploiting and abusing at least 400 boys, including former players, their friends and other young athletes.

Greg Stephen, 42, posed as girls on social media to trick the boys into making live videos masturbating. He secretly recorded them showering during trips to tournaments. In some cases he recorded himself fondling nude players as they slept.

Iowa Youth Basketball Coach Admits to Sexually Exploiting At Least 400 Boys
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Urgh.. Wondering If/When This Sort of Thing Will Stop..  Empty Re: Urgh.. Wondering If/When This Sort of Thing Will Stop..

Post by I.B. Fine Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:06 pm

Dealing with this is what general population at prisons is best at.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Urgh.. Wondering If/When This Sort of Thing Will Stop..  Empty Re: Urgh.. Wondering If/When This Sort of Thing Will Stop..

Post by InTenSity Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:27 pm

How much of this shit happened in the past, when it was easier to be secluded?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:38 pm

We will forever have evil assholes walking among us.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:41 pm

This asshole will try to kill himself before prison, hope it doesn't happen. Deserves to rot in hell.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:19 pm

InTenSity wrote:How much of this shit happened in the past, when it was easier to be secluded?

You answered your own question. No 24/hr news cycle, no social media, much different ideas about how to treat both the victim/survivor and the diddler. I have a close friend from my childhood who told me only about ten years ago that he’d been molested by a guy in our town. No police, just told the guy to knock it off. No counseling for my friend. He said it wasn’t even discussed again by anyone in his family. That’s not exactly protecting your kid, but I guess we know more now.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:08 am

tGreenWay wrote:
InTenSity wrote:How much of this shit happened in the past, when it was easier to be secluded?

You answered your own question. No 24/hr news cycle, no social media, much different ideas about how to treat both the victim/survivor and the diddler. I have a close friend from my childhood who told me only about ten years ago that he’d been molested by a guy in our town. No police, just told the guy to knock it off. No counseling for my friend. He said it wasn’t even discussed again by anyone in his family. That’s not exactly protecting your kid, but I guess we know more now.
true story:

When I was a kid (probably 10-12 years old), there was this old man that would hang around the arcade in my hometown. He would just hang around.. smiling. Was always nicely dressed, etc. He'd often give kids money. He'd walk up, smile and hand us a rolled up dollar bill. We'd say "thanks", get change for it and play Asteroids or whatever.

I'm not sure he ever did anything inappropriate with any kids (we were old enough to know he was weird AF but we enjoyed him giving us money) - I suspect he may have done something with some kids, if not ones he lured from the arcade, certainly somewhere else.

Next time I'm home, gonna have to ask my buddies what they remember. This was 36-38 years ago and I can still picture him. Weird.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:58 am

tGreenWay wrote:

Yeah, all the stories of abuse about Nassar, the Church scandal, the gynecologist at USC, Sandusky, OSU wrestling coach, this youth basketball coach and so on have made me aware of how this is more common than I could ever imagine. Same with Dr Ford and the other survivors of sexual assault that have come forward. Then it was Lady Gaga that shared her experience, and Charles Blow coming forth with his story. All I can hope is with more awareness these crimes can be prevented in the future.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:00 am

IMO - it has gone on forever.
Only the media has finally started to report it and social media has given a voice to victims.
I followed the Nassar shit as much as I could, I went back to read a lot of Indianapolis Star articles on-line, as that is the paper that broke the story. There were related stories, that didn't become national headlines, but that showed that gymnastics had (has) a problem that goes beyond Nassar. Google the name William McCabe and you will read about a sexual predator clothed as a gymnastics coach who traveled from city to city. Moving after he was caught, but rather than go to the police he was fired and allowed to move on to the next facility.

It is hard for me to find the original articles, as the Star (as part of the USA Today family) has changed there website to the same shitty format as the LSJ.

Here is one of the articles which I could find, republished by the Chicago Trib (the original article, as I recall it, has a map which showed how he moved and where they were able to find reports or allegation of him being a sexual predator)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/international/ct-usa-gymnastics-sexual-abuse-coaches-20160804-story.html
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:09 am

There was some guy at our church when I was a kid that somehow got permission from a few parents to have a sleepover at his house (no it wasn't Harbaugh). He tried giving me a massage, I declined. I assume he managed to with at least one of the other kids. Never saw him in church again after that.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down