Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it true the El Azteco tortilla factory burned down?

+6
Travis of the Cosmos
Rocinante
steveschneider
tGreenWay
Turtleneck
Herbie Green
10 posters

Go down

Is it true the El Azteco tortilla factory burned down? Empty Is it true the El Azteco tortilla factory burned down?

Post by Herbie Green Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:10 pm

Went to the Lansing location last weekend and had a Topopo that was loaded to the hilt but then noticed underneath were Tostido style chips. Then I hear a rumor of this fire but cant find anything about it.

Que pasa?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Is it true the El Azteco tortilla factory burned down? Empty Re: Is it true the El Azteco tortilla factory burned down?

Post by Turtleneck Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:16 pm

Yeah. It was the factory and offices. The whole enchilada.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Is it true the El Azteco tortilla factory burned down? Empty Re: Is it true the El Azteco tortilla factory burned down?

Post by tGreenWay Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:39 pm

I had a similar experience at the EL el az. I was afraid they'd switched recipes. I'm sorry to hear about the fire, but selfishly glad things will eventually return to normal.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:05 pm

tGreenWay wrote:I had a similar experience at the EL el az. I was afraid they'd switched recipes. I'm sorry to hear about the fire, but selfishly glad things will eventually return to normal.  

Man, you are so incredibly selfish. You know what, I nacho friend anymore.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:20 pm

Went there today. The chips were definitely different and so were the tortillas. I'm still a big fan of that place.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:28 pm

Turtleneck wrote:

Man, you are so incredibly selfish. You know what, I nacho friend anymore.

No need to walk around with a chip on your shoulder, brah.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:48 am

Whatever. Lettuce make peace before this goes too far.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:18 am

Turtleneck wrote:Whatever. Lettuce make peace before this goes too far.

Peas be with you, too. Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to go back to watching one of my all-time favorite movies; Tequila Mockingbird.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:02 am

Let's tacobout it after you watch it.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:19 am

tGreenWay wrote:I had a similar experience at the EL el az. I was afraid they'd switched recipes. I'm sorry to hear about the fire, but selfishly glad things will eventually return to normal.

This is indeed great news. I was worried some cost cutting idiot was going to ruin things. Glaf to hear the place only burned down.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:25 am

Turtleneck wrote:Let's tacobout it after you watch it.

We could go enchilada bit on the roof with a pitcher of margaritas.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:17 pm

tGreenWay wrote:

We could go enchilada bit on the roof with a pitcher of margaritas.

Margaritas? That sounds cheesy.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:43 am

Turtleneck wrote:

Margaritas? That sounds cheesy.

Have you ever bean there?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:31 am

Not in several years. I flan to go there next time I'm in EL.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:29 pm

From the Archives: El Az, food and fun in East Lansing

Is it true the El Azteco tortilla factory burned down? 635926013908214428-El-Az
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:44 pm

Turtleneck wrote:Not in several years. I flan to go there next time I'm in EL.
do you flan to have flan while you're there?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:44 pm

Rocinante wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:Not in several years. I flan to go there next time I'm in EL.
do you flan to have flan while you're there?

Not Bloody Mary likely. Turtleneck just uses words for his own pleasure, then discards them like trash. He's a real rapscallion.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:57 pm

Old thread that got bumped and all of the posters in it still post here.

:)
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:59 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Old thread that got bumped and all of the posters in it still post here.

:)

Victory is ours!
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:55 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:Whatever. Lettuce make peace before this goes too far.

Peas be with you, too. Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to go back to watching one of my all-time favorite movies; Tequila Mockingbird.

I've always wished I could get a big helping of whirled peas.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:13 pm

LooseGoose wrote:From the Archives: El Az, food and fun in East Lansing

I often wonder what that basement space looks like today. Gotta be scary down there.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:41 pm

Thanks for the article.  Included the PanTree.  My favorite EL restaurant.  Rock-solid after stumbling out of Dooley's late at night for breakfast.  Best food in town any time of day.  Fucked up my spelling with 'The Pantry' when first signing on to tTurd in 2009 but decided to keep it.

Is it true the El Azteco tortilla factory burned down? Pantre10

El Az was great back then too but didn't go there that often because it was one dimensional...had to be in the mood.  Life is weird.  Long story short, met my ex and eventually met her freshman year roommate that managed at both the EL and Lansing locations.   Met Art one time back in the mid-late 80's.  Seemed like a genuinely good guy.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:50 pm

The Pantry wrote:

Thanks for the article.  Included the PanTree.  My favorite EL restaurant.  Rock-solid after stumbling out of Dooley's late at night for breakfast.  Best food in town any time of day.  Fucked up my spelling with 'The Pantry' when first signing on to tTurd in 2009 but decided to keep it.

Is it true the El Azteco tortilla factory burned down? Pantre10

El Az was great back then too but didn't go there that often because it was one dimensional...had to be in the mood.  Life is weird.  Long story short, met my ex and eventually met her freshman year roommate that managed at both the EL and Lansing locations.   Met Art one time back in the mid-late 80's.  Seemed like a genuinely good guy.

Loved the PanTree. Great late night spot or the anecdote for a hangover the next day. Eggs Rancheros or gazpacho soup always cured me.

Following that, the Evergreen Grill was the best full service restaurant in EL. Maybe ever.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:20 pm

My first date with my wife was at El Az. Nachos and a picture of beer special.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:22 am

Herbie Green wrote:My first date with my wife was at El Az.  Nachos and a picture of beer special.
Don't recall ever seeing that one....scratch
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:00 am

Yeah I've been eating El Az since 80-81. Quick note, since the tortilla factory has been back up and running I think their chips are better.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:48 am

The Pantry wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:My first date with my wife was at El Az.  Nachos and a picture of beer special.

I'm not sure they offer it anymore. I think my first trip to El Az was around '82 and we got a pitcher and a plate special for under 6 bucks. Crazy.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:25 am

Ground beef nachos and beer. Shit was a perfect pre-part Friday or Saturday night meal.

Dog pound for drunk guys on the way home. Is there any wonder why we put on 15 lbs in college.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:52 am

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

I'm not sure they offer it anymore. I think my first trip to El Az was around '82 and we got a pitcher and a plate special for under 6 bucks. Crazy.
Are you being facetious or did you miss the "picture of beer" part of Herbie's first date with his ball and chain?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:02 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

What's crazy is that you are like 87 years old.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:40 pm

Just noticed the pic at the upper left in the article of Art (owner of El Az) and one of his employees. She managed at both locations for years. She's also the Godmother of one my sons.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:34 pm

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Are you being facetious or did you miss the "picture of beer" part of Herbie's first date with his ball and chain?

Is it true the El Azteco tortilla factory burned down? 502811600 Never saw it. Oops.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:38 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

What's crazy is that you are like 87 years old.

Almost, but not quite. I remember watching the Cards win the '82 WS while spending only $5.25 for a pitcher and a plate at the west Lansing location. They had a big tv in the basement. Vince Coleman was fast. Not KLIF fast, but fast.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:57 pm

Ok. You're 79. Glad we got that straightened out.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:24 pm

From the bottom to the top(opo), El Azteco going strong after 40 years

EAST LANSING - Standing in line on M.A.C. Avenue for the old El Azteco, the one that was in a basement, felt like waiting for concert tickets.

It seemed to take forever, and, inside the door, the wait continued. The line went down a steep, narrow staircase. Departing patrons had to squeeze past folks on the crowded stairs. It was not a place for the claustrophobic.

There was the distinct aroma of (supposedly forbidden) clove cigarettes, refried beans and sweat.

The dank, cave-like atmosphere echoed with jazz or music from Detroit rock stations. The conversations seemed muffled due to the acoustics. Menus had to be read under the dim, reddish cubed lamps.

But the regulars didn't need a menu. They knew exactly what they wanted.

Pitchers of beer. Margaritas. Sangria. Chips and salsa. Topopo salad.

It's a formula that's worked for decades. This year, "El Az" celebrates its 40th anniversary.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down