Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell me about pots & pans

+14
Frank Ricard
MiamiSpartan
WhiteBoyHatcher
TheReal_LWS
tGreenWay
DWags
Robert J Sakimano
The Pantry
I.B. Fine
Floyd Robertson
GRR Spartan
Rocinante
Cameron
Dendrobates
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tell me about pots & pans Empty Tell me about pots & pans

Post by Dendrobates Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 17:06

I’m trying to figure out if I need some basic pots/pans or something worth much more. We got our current set for our wedding 10 years ago, and it was just your basic cheap $100 pot set. I’m noticing that stuff is sticking more to them, and making it difficult to clean at times. I would think 10 years worth of use for a cheap set seems acceptable. Do I just purchase a newer similar set? Or is it worthwhile investing in something more expensive?

*insert joke about me being in the kitchen*

Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Tell me about pots & pans Empty Re: Tell me about pots & pans

Post by Cameron Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 17:29

I'm well versed in pot. Afraid I can't help you with pans.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 17:33

I was not a cast iron person until I met my wife and that's all we use. Once it's seasoned, it works as well as any non-stick.

Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 17:41

Rocinante wrote:I was not a cast iron person until I met my wife and that's all we use. Once it's seasoned, it works as well as any non-stick.

I do have one of those, and I know that’s forever. I’m mostly talking about a set. There can be some over 1k (which I don’t want to spend), but if it’s worth it I might buy something around $500 or so.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 17:42

Cameron wrote:I'm well versed in pot. Afraid I can't help you with pans.

Perhaps soon it won’t be too taboo to share recipes on a public forum.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 17:43

Dendrobates wrote:
Rocinante wrote:I was not a cast iron person until I met my wife and that's all we use. Once it's seasoned, it works as well as any non-stick.

I do have one of those, and I know that’s forever. I’m mostly talking about a set. There can be some over 1k (which I don’t want to spend), but if it’s worth it I might buy something around $500 or so.

That's what I mean. We have a whole set of cast iron. About the only thing we don't do with them is boil water.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 17:48

We have 8"-10" and 12" cast iron inherited from my parents that we use for high temp and recipes that start on the cook top and finish in the oven or under the broiler.

Got these Henkle's non-stick ceramic from Costco. Use them almost daily and really like them. They are made in Italy and weigh about twice as much as the less expensive Tramontina also sold at Costco.

https://www.costco.com/J.A.-Henckels-International-3-piece-Capri-Granitium-Nonstick-Fry-Pans.product.100396210.html
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 17:51

WBH highly recommends the copper thing as seen on TV.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 17:54

Actually have a very expensive SS set with nice thick bottoms ( Wink )and they are pretty good, until clean up, then I like my cast iron fry pan.
I got a great deal on the All Clad set we have and we'll probably be leaving them to my grandchildren (if I ever have any).
I think any good SS would be a good basic, the thick bottom for heat distribution is key, plus a couple cast iron pans.

Stay away from teflon type non-stick, too much crap about consuming that shit.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 18:00

I could use another iron pan to have. But I don’t use them as often.

I think mine are those nonstick Teflon type. But they are no longer nonstick. A SS set is a good idea. Is there a particular brand that is better than another?
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 18:07

Dendrobates wrote:I could use another iron pan to have. But I don’t use them as often.

I think mine are those nonstick Teflon type. But they are no longer nonstick. A SS set is a good idea. Is there a particular brand that is better than another?

Like I said, I have All Clad, which I see on Amazon for $1200 (I didn't pay anywhere near that) and they are very good, I'm sure you can get something close for $300. Just look for a 'bonded' bottom. They layer the bottom with aluminum usually for more even heating.
I use Bar Keepers Friend or other low abrasive cleanser every so often to keep the inside really clean.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 18:09

Cast iron is a quality, low cost option for saute pans. CI gets more stick-free with every use. They'll last well past your lifetime if cared for properly. CI is best on gas ranges or cooktops. Not so good on glasstops or electric burners.

Stainless steel for sauce pans and stock pots. Had Cuisinart pots many years...not sure if they still make them as well. Only exception is one Le Creuset pot. Use it mostly for rice and it turns out great every time.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 18:24

Get one cast iron skillet - maintain it properly and keep it well-seasoned.

Everything else, stainless steel. Accept nothing less.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 19:20

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Get one cast iron skillet - maintain it properly and keep it well seasoned.

This. And get a Dutch oven. Two favorite pots and pans I have. Take care of them
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 19:47

I’ve really liked my Farberware stainless steel. It’s not for glasstop, though. Now that we’ve replaced our glasstop stove, we’ll need something new that won’t scratch the surface. Whatever I get, it def won’t be nonstick and I’m hopeful it can be stainless.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 19:52

While I concur, the cleanup of cast iron makes in impractical for a working mother with a child. I would recommend some good cast iron pans as well as some regular stainless/non-stick pots and pans.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 19:55

tGreenWay wrote:I’ve really liked my Farberware stainless steel. It’s not for glasstop, though. Now that we’ve replaced our glasstop stove, we’ll need something new that won’t scratch the surface. Whatever I get, it def won’t be nonstick and I’m hopeful it can be stainless.
Do yourself a favor and just switch to gas
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 20:01

I.B. Fine wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:I’ve really liked my Farberware stainless steel. It’s not for glasstop, though. Now that we’ve replaced our glasstop stove, we’ll need something new that won’t scratch the surface. Whatever I get, it def won’t be nonstick and I’m hopeful it can be stainless.

This. Our house has geothermal. We live in the sticks. I'd have to go propane, so we have a flat electric cooktop. The builtin microwave and oven are cool but I would trade it all for a good gas range. I miss cooking with gas.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 20:04

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Get one cast iron skillet - maintain it properly and keep it well seasoned.

This. And get a Dutch oven. Two favorite pots and pans I have. Take care of them
truth.

You'll spend some money on the front end, but it'll last forever if you take good care of it.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 20:05

yep - stay absolutely clear of the non-stick stuff.

(unless you're fond of cancer).
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 20:09

I.B. Fine wrote:

I’d like to do that, sooner than later. When it happens, since someone will already be installing new lines, I wouldn’t mind putting in a tankless water heater.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 20:14

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
yep - stay absolutely clear of the non-stick stuff.

(unless you're fond of cancer).

Yep, and I don’t get why so many people still cook with it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 20:34

TheReal_LWS wrote:

While I concur, the cleanup of cast iron makes in impractical for a working mother with a child. I would recommend some good cast iron pans as well as some regular stainless/non-stick pots and pans.

You're right. Which is why I dont use my cast iron skillet as often.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 20:36

We do have an electric stove. I hate it. And while I would love to get gas, I don't think I will bother since we hope to move again in a couple years. There are other things in the house that have a higher priority of working on.

Looks like i need to get some SS pots/pans soon.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 20:42

Dendrobates wrote:We do have an electric stove. I hate it. And while I would love to get gas, I don't think I will bother since we hope to move again in a couple years. There are other things in the house that have a higher priority of working on.

Looks like i need to get some SS pots/pans soon.
rock on, G.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 20:47

tGreenWay wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

I’d like to do that, sooner than later. When it happens, since someone will already be installing new lines, I wouldn’t mind putting in a tankless water heater.
Gas not already in the house? It's pretty standard here  I forget it's not everywhere  
If that's the case wait until the furnace goes, then switch everything  (assuming it at the street)
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 21:01

I.B. Fine wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Gas not already in the house? It's pretty standard here  I forget it's not everywhere  
If that's the case wait until the furnace goes, then switch everything  (assuming it at the street)

No, there’s gas. Boiler heat. It’s fantastic.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 21:36

You don't need pots and pans. You need a fire and a spit, that's all.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 21:50

If you can afford it, or willing/able to make the investment, then it is actually surgical stainless steel that you should go for. Pots/pans are something that can last your whole life. Not saying that you HAVE to invest in ones that will last forever, but just that the expensive ones can last that long, which makes the cost more palatable. We bought a small Carico set 17 years ago, and my MIL has a set of Carico dating back over 40 years. But they are like a few hundred per pot or pan.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard Wed 6 Feb 2019 - 2:38

Fucking amazing. You all know a lot about your kitchen stuff. We have pots and pans and skillets. Couldn't tell you a damn thing about them. I know nothin about cooking. Had no idea they were so expensive.

I don't know much about nothin. Know nothin about my tv's. Know nothin about my car model or truck model, other than they run. If they don't work, I know nothin on how to fix them. Know nothin about craft beers. Know nothin about my phone, don't even get me started. Play golf 3 times a week, but couldn't tell you a damn thing about my clubs, cause I know nothin. Golf balls? Know nothin. Since I'm retired, I know nothin about what I used to do.

Life has never been better. Ignorance is bliss.

I'm an expert on how to run the remote for the tv. That's it.

Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed 6 Feb 2019 - 5:50

Frank Ricard wrote:Fucking amazing. You all know a lot about your kitchen stuff. We have pots and pans and skillets. Couldn't tell you a damn thing about them. I know nothin about cooking. Had no idea they were so expensive.

I don't know much about nothin. Know nothin about my tv's. Know nothin about my car model or truck model, other than they run. If they don't work, I know nothin on how to fix them. Know nothin about craft beers. Know nothin about my phone, don't even get me started. Play golf 3 times a week, but couldn't tell you a damn thing about my clubs, cause I know nothin. Golf balls? Know nothin. Since I'm retired, I know nothin about what I used to do.

I want to have a beer with you.

Also, at our age I’ve found that smoking weed really effects short term memory loss. And so does smoking weed.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 6 Feb 2019 - 6:13

Frank Ricard wrote:Fucking amazing. You all know a lot about your kitchen stuff. We have pots and pans and skillets. Couldn't tell you a damn thing about them. I know nothin about cooking. Had no idea they were so expensive.

I know a lot about (good) music.. and that's it.

Oh, and DWags is a great guy to have a beer with. That, I know.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Wed 6 Feb 2019 - 13:05

I saw this on Amazon today: Decent set for 143.00 after using the coupon code.

$189.99 - 25% off w/coupon SYQBXZ2M = $142.49 + Free Shipping

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015HOEQOY/ref=nosim/?tag=theblacom06-20

It has a lot of the features I would look for, including the ability to use induction cooking and steam vents on the clear lids (so they do not form a vacuum while cooling).  It also has some steamer inserts that are helpful, but it does lack a small steamer basket.

I do a lot of cooking.  My favorite pots and pans are a mixed bag that I have acquired over the years and I like for differing reasons.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed 6 Feb 2019 - 13:50

If you're super serious about cooking you gotta go copper. This shit is so high end they don't even sell this stuff in sets.

If you're a cooking snob, click here.

Side note: I'm not this serious.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Wed 6 Feb 2019 - 14:13

By the way, Dendro, I am glad to see Nevets finally put his foot down and is domesticating you.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 6 Feb 2019 - 14:14

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:If you're super serious about cooking you gotta go copper. This shit is so high end they don't even sell this stuff in sets.

I think at that point I'd just hire someone to do all the cooking for me.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 6 Feb 2019 - 14:22

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:If you're super serious about cooking you gotta go copper. This shit is so high end they don't even sell this stuff in sets.

It must be good. They put all their money in the pots and pans and couldn’t afford to ship product in cardboard; they had to use wood crates.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 6 Feb 2019 - 14:24

I know just enough to call someone when something breaks.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen Wed 6 Feb 2019 - 16:32

So, I watched this video and went out an bought the pan... even made the eggs (which were simply too soft for me).

But, I did trust his comment about the pan and consider it a good investment (I also don't like non-stick).

SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed 6 Feb 2019 - 16:54

SawGreen wrote:So, I watched this video and went out an bought the pan... even made the eggs (which were simply too soft for me).

But, I did trust his comment about the pan and consider it a good investment (I also don't like non-stick).

I've never tried this on heat/off heat/on heat technique. Gonna try it this weekend. I've always added a bit of milk to scrambled eggs to keep them nice and fluffy.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next