Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gov. Newsom Suspends The Death Penalty in California..

+3
Floyd Robertson
Cameron
Robert J Sakimano
7 posters

Go down

Gov. Newsom Suspends The Death Penalty in California..  Empty Gov. Newsom Suspends The Death Penalty in California..

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:28 pm

wow - such huge news and such a great day for those who value human life.

Gov. Gavin Newsom will sign a sweeping order on Wednesday putting an executive moratorium on California's troubled death penalty, thus ordering a reprieve for the 737 people on death row.

The action suspends any further executions in California as long as Newsom is governor, his office said.  

Well done, Governor.

Caution: Mainstream Media Link
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Gov. Newsom Suspends The Death Penalty in California..  Empty Re: Gov. Newsom Suspends The Death Penalty in California..

Post by Cameron Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:35 pm

I don't really keep up with such things, but I would have bet money that California had already done away with the death penalty.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Gov. Newsom Suspends The Death Penalty in California..  Empty Re: Gov. Newsom Suspends The Death Penalty in California..

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:55 pm

Cameron wrote:I don't really keep up with such things, but I would have bet money that California had already done away with the death penalty.
it can only be abolished by vote (at least in California) - there was a referendum just a couple of years ago where the pro-death penalty (that's a weird thing to type) advocates triumphed in a very narrow vote.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:28 pm

In a shock to nobody, the racist, bigoted christian sexual predator denounced California's moratorium on killing people.

Oh - and he's "pro-life"....Gov. Newsom Suspends The Death Penalty in California..  502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:16 pm

Did you know that Michigan was the first territory to ban the death penalty? I think like in the whole world or something.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:34 pm

Know MI was the first English speaking government to take the death penalty off the books.

Newsom's move is going to open up time for some CA attorneys who've made careers of challenging death penalty sentences.

Never been a fan of the death penalty because I'm not a fan of apologizing for errors to a headstone.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:59 pm

GRR Spartan wrote:Know MI was the first English speaking government to take the death penalty off the books.

Newsom's move is going to open up time for some CA attorneys who've made careers of challenging death penalty sentences.

Never been a fan of the death penalty because I'm not a fan of apologizing for errors to a headstone.

Hmm, maybe that's what it was. English speaking territory. I was close, though.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:55 am

Floyd Robertson wrote:Did you know that Michigan was the first territory to ban the death penalty? I think like in the whole world or something.

Because it was turning into a circus atmosphere. Public executions and people bringing their kids and picnic baskets.

Last edited by Jake from State Farm on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:58 am

There are two very simple reasons to be against the death penalty without having to get religious or political:

1. It's cheaper to keep them in jail for life.
A. The Innocence Project.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:24 pm

Heat Miser wrote:There are two very simple reasons to be against the death penalty without having to get religious or political:

I get your second point listed, and that alone should be enough. If 95% of all inmates on death row are guilty, we should immediately stop the death penalty until we have a figure that says 100% of all inmantes on death row are guilty. Then we should still debate this.

But your first oint, that surprises me. Is it really cheaper to keep them alive? I didn't know that.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:35 pm

DWags wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:There are two very simple reasons to be against the death penalty without having to get religious or political:

I get your second point listed, and that alone should be enough.   If 95% of all inmates on death row are guilty, we should immediately stop the death penalty until we have a figure that says 100% of all inmantes on death row are guilty.  Then we should still debate this.  

But your first oint, that surprises me. Is it really cheaper to keep them alive?   I didn't know that.
I've always read/heard that - I suspect there is some truth to it when you think of the actual cost of housing/feeding an inmate versus decades of court appeals, etc - while still paying the cost of housing/feeding the inmate.

my biggest problem with the death penalty is how it penalizes the most vulnerable among us and the ripple effect is felt for generations. It is overwhelmingly racist and disaffects the population from a socioeconomic standpoint to a significant degree.

quick - name a wealthy person on death row.

and, finally, we can't pretend to be a country that values human life when our very government executes its citizens based on the properties of a systemic problem that (I believe) deliberately disenfranchises the most socially, culturally and economically endangered people among us.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down