Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Pulling a pilot? Somebody is into aviation

+7
tGreenWay
Robert J Sakimano
NigelUno
Rocinante
I.B. Fine
steveschneider
DWags
11 posters

Go down

Is Pulling a pilot?  Somebody is into aviation  Empty Is Pulling a pilot? Somebody is into aviation

Post by DWags 2019-03-13, 16:43

What the fuck? Has POTUS ever issued an order to ground a whole line of planes until further notice before? I have to say, even when they “fix” this problem, I’m going to have a problem getting on that type of plane.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Is Pulling a pilot?  Somebody is into aviation  Empty Re: Is Pulling a pilot? Somebody is into aviation

Post by steveschneider 2019-03-13, 16:46

I don't know but the older I get the more I hate flying.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Is Pulling a pilot?  Somebody is into aviation  Empty Re: Is Pulling a pilot? Somebody is into aviation

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-03-13, 16:51

I think Pulling tried to fly, but ended up breaking both his elbows when gravity won. Hopefully they're all better now.
He may have a pilot's license, though.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2019-03-13, 17:09

The FAA issues the order. The president just announced it because... I don't know. He likes announcing things. And yes, planes have been grounded for safety issues before.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-03-13, 17:24

Rocinante wrote:The FAA issues the order. The president just announced it because... I don't know. He likes announcing things. And yes, planes have been grounded for safety issues before.

A whole line or specific planes? Is this like a recall? I guess I’ve never heard of it before.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-03-13, 17:30

DWags wrote:
Rocinante wrote:The FAA issues the order. The president just announced it because... I don't know. He likes announcing things. And yes, planes have been grounded for safety issues before.

A whole line or specific planes? Is this like a recall? I guess I’ve never heard of it before.
Dreamliner was grounded by FAA
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-03-13, 17:33

DWags wrote:
Rocinante wrote:The FAA issues the order.  The president just announced it because... I don't know.  He likes announcing things.  And yes, planes have been grounded for safety issues before.  

A whole line or specific planes?  Is this like a recall?   I guess I’ve never heard of it before.

OBAMA!!!

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/12/us-should-ground-boeing-737-max-jets-ex-transportation-chief-lahood.html

In January 2013, after two Japanese airlines experienced battery-related malfunctions, all Boeing 787 Dreamliner jets were taken out of service in the United States. Regulators around the world, at the time, followed LaHood’s lead. The grounding lasted about four months in the U.S., while Boeing repaired the battery systems on the planes to make sure they would not catch fire.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-03-13, 17:34

NigelUno wrote:
DWags wrote:

A whole line or specific planes?  Is this like a recall?   I guess I’ve never heard of it before.

OBAMA!!!

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/12/us-should-ground-boeing-737-max-jets-ex-transportation-chief-lahood.html

In January 2013, after two Japanese airlines experienced battery-related malfunctions, all Boeing 787 Dreamliner jets were taken out of service in the United States. Regulators around the world, at the time, followed LaHood’s lead. The grounding lasted about four months in the U.S., while Boeing repaired the battery systems on the planes to make sure they would not catch fire.
Is Pulling a pilot?  Somebody is into aviation  502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-03-13, 17:37

I.B. Fine wrote:I think Pulling tried to fly, but ended up breaking both his elbows when gravity won. Hopefully they're all better now.
He may have a pilot's license, though.

It didn’t help that Pulling has chicken wing arms.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-03-13, 18:17

steveschneider wrote:I don't know but the older I get the more I hate flying.
Same with me. Use to fly a few times a year but haven't been on a plane in about 15.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-03-13, 18:21

DWags wrote:

I heard this morning, before this announcement, that several countries (I want to say maybe as many as 20, or at least over 10) had already banned this line of planes from flying a while ago, and that people were calling on the US to do the same. So this isn't a Trump thing or even an over-zealous US thing. We're latecomers to this.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-03-13, 18:34

Always thought the 737 was a reliable plane...? Maybe it's just this new-ish variant?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-03-13, 18:34

The Pantry wrote:
steveschneider wrote:I don't know but the older I get the more I hate flying.
Same with me. Use to fly a few times a year but haven't been on a plane in about 15.

How do you travel?
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-03-13, 18:38

The Pantry wrote:Always thought the 737 was a reliable plane...? Maybe it's just this new-ish variant?

Yeah, I think these are brand spanking new planes and a different version of the original 737.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-03-13, 18:39

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Same with me. Use to fly a few times a year but haven't been on a plane in about 15.

How do you travel?

Teleportation is real.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2019-03-13, 18:40

The Pantry wrote:Always thought the 737 was a reliable plane...? Maybe it's just this new-ish variant?

I'm pretty sure it's a software issue, not a hardware issue. The problems that have been reported all have to do with the plane overcorrecting and nosing down as soon as autopilot in engaged, and then problems recovering when autopilot is disengaged.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-03-13, 18:41

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
The Pantry wrote:
Same with me.  Use to fly a few times a year but haven't been on a plane in about 15.

How do you travel?
Don't much anymore.  Drove to Raleigh for my niece's funeral a few years ago.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-03-13, 19:45

I drove to North Carolina five times in four months recently. Driving down again for probably the last time ever in a few weeks.

I used to hate driving down.. would much rather fly - but I got to the point where I kind of enjoyed it. Listening to music.. stopping for coffee, pit stops at diners - chatting with locals. Seemed kind of cathartic.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-03-13, 20:38

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I drove to North Carolina five times in four months recently. Driving down again for probably the last time ever in a few weeks.

I used to hate driving down.. would much rather fly - but I got to the point where I kind of enjoyed it. Listening to music.. stopping for coffee, pit stops at diners - chatting with locals. Seemed kind of cathartic.
See? Bob gets it.

Drove down to look at some property in a mountain development not far from Lake Lure years back. Beer store not far from the entrance had pickled eggs in a jar next to the cash register. Tight road in that development, sometimes requiring backing up to get around hairpins. Power steering on the Suburban broke the 2nd day there. Kind of a bitch driving it back to Michigan, especially stopping for gas or to eat when it was extra ornery in slow speed turning. Sorta surprised the steering wheel didn't break off the way I had to reef on it.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-03-13, 20:46

Rocinante wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's a software issue, not a hardware issue. The problems that have been reported all have to do with the plane overcorrecting and nosing down as soon as autopilot in engaged, and then problems recovering when autopilot is disengaged.

Right, but the front half of the problem is the plane’s tendency to go nose up, which is why the software is supposed to bring it down to level off but overcorrects to the point of going nose down and fights the pilots’ attempts to stabilize things. I admit to feeling some relief, knowing Delta isn’t using these planes. And before I get on one with another airline, imma want to see more than a few months of no problems once the new software is installed and the planes get the green light again.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-03-13, 20:49

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I drove to North Carolina five times in four months recently. Driving down again for probably the last time ever in a few weeks.

I’ve always accepted flying as something I hated but had to put up with in order to see the world and visit family. I’d always rather drive, but I’ve always enjoyed roaming the country and wish I could do more of it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-03-14, 07:43

tGreenWay wrote:

I’ve always accepted flying as something I hated but had to put up with in order to see the world and visit family. I’d always rather drive, but I’ve always enjoyed roaming the country and wish I could do more of it.
yep - I've done a bunch of flying over the years.. to the point where I really don't enjoy it, unless I'm going somewhere fun with the family.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-03-14, 07:44

The Pantry wrote:

See? Bob gets it.

Drove down to look at some property in a mountain development not far from Lake Lure years back. Beer store not far from the entrance had pickled eggs in a jar next to the cash register. Tight road in that development, sometimes requiring backing up to get around hairpins. Power steering on the Suburban broke the 2nd day there. Kind of a bitch driving it back to Michigan, especially stopping for gas or to eat when it was extra ornery in slow speed turning. Sorta surprised the steering wheel didn't break off the way I had to reef on it.
nice area - I grew up not far at all from there.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2019-03-14, 14:34

Yes I am a pilot, also a CFI(certified flight instructor).... Look out below
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2019-03-14, 14:36

tGreenWay wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

Right, but the front half of the problem is the plane’s tendency to go nose up, which is why the software is supposed to bring it down to level off but overcorrects to the point of going nose down and fights the pilots’ attempts to stabilize things. I admit to feeling some relief, knowing Delta isn’t using these planes. And before I get on one with another airline, imma want to see more than a few months of no problems once the new software is installed and the planes get the green light again.

Lookit Greenway dropping some knowledge. I've already flown twice on this model. Glad my wife didn't know about the problems before that. She's already a little leery of flying and that certainly wouldn't have helped.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-03-14, 14:56

Sounds like a problem that a decent pilot can handle (though shouldn't have to) especially if they're aware of it, several hundred of these in service and 2 crashes on smaller airlines.
Boeing seems to have slacked on training, at least, for an airplane that is essentially brand new, even though it's still called a 737.

I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-03-14, 15:27

Rocinante wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Lookit Greenway dropping some knowledge. I've already flown twice on this model. Glad my wife didn't know about the problems before that. She's already a little leery of flying and that certainly wouldn't have helped.

Nah. It’s pretty easy to fake your way through most stuff once you realize all the numbskulls posting here are Turtleneck-level dummies.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-03-14, 15:44

pulling69 wrote:Yes I am a pilot, also a CFI(certified flight instructor).... Look out below

Is Pulling a pilot?  Somebody is into aviation  Giphy

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down