Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Izzo voted #3

+4
Rodeo Burger
Bud Fox
Turtleneck
InTenSity
8 posters

Go down

Izzo voted #3 Empty Izzo voted #3

Post by InTenSity 2014-07-02, 14:19

Izzo is #3 is ESPN Top 50.

I'm not horribly impressed with the article overall. There is too much fluffing of other teams, and Brennan seems to mail it in, but it is good recognition. I can't believe that Calipari is going to be #1, just continues to prove that cheating is the only way to succeed in the US anymore.

More than anything, though, they had Tom Izzo. And Izzo had a group of seniors that hadn't yet been to a Final Four in their careers. And no senior to ever play for Izzo failed to reach at least one Final Four in his career. Seriously: Was there a safer Final Four bet on the board?

Expecting Final Fours is silly, because getting to the Final Four is insanely hard. Here's the most impressive thing you can say about Izzo, then: In his 19 seasons in East Lansing, Izzo has made the whole thing look so rote that it's more surprising when his teams don't get to the Final Four than when they do.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Izzo voted #3 Empty Re: Izzo voted #3

Post by Turtleneck 2014-07-02, 14:28

Warning! Please watch for obsession below.

The guy at #9 ranks higher than five coaches with national titles. Two (maybe three) that are often regarded as legends.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bud Fox 2014-07-02, 14:38

So slime ball Calipari and Eddie Munster are 1 & 2? Sounds about right to me  Suspect 
Bud Fox
Bud Fox
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-07-02, 14:50

Bud Fox wrote:So slime ball Calipari and Eddie Munster are 1 & 2? Sounds about right to me  Suspect 

That list is pretty suspect. Coach K at number four. He might be top five all-time, but he is number four on this list. With one Final Four, Beilein checks in ahead of Roy Williams and Jim Boeheim.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-07-02, 15:00

Turtleneck wrote:

That list is pretty suspect. Coach K at number four. He might be top five all-time, but he is number four on this list. With one Final Four, Beilein checks in ahead of Roy Williams and Jim Boeheim.
Coach K has under performed since a few years ago. His teams are stacked with McD AA's and 5 stars, yet he's only won the ACC once in the last 5 or 7 years and he's had a few early round knockouts. I don't understand this fanbase's obsession with Coach K. Duke isn't exactly squeaky clean, either.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bud Fox 2014-07-02, 15:02

Turtleneck wrote:That list is pretty suspect. Coach K at number four. He might be top five all-time, but he is number four on this list. With one Final Four, Beilein checks in ahead of Roy Williams and Jim Boeheim.

I suspect there's a strong correlation between the rankings and fan activity on the ESPN forum.
Bud Fox
Bud Fox
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-07-02, 15:04

InTenSity wrote:
Coach K has under performed since a few years ago. His teams are stacked with McD AA's and 5 stars, yet he's only won the ACC once in the last 5 or 7 years and he's had a few early round knockouts. I don't understand this fanbase's obsession with Coach K. Duke isn't exactly squeaky clean, either.

Is this list a measure of the last few years? Honest question. I don't know. If it is the measure of a career, I stand by my post. I am also not sure why you insinuate I am obsessed with Coach K.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-07-02, 15:07

Turtleneck wrote:

Is this list a measure of the last few years? Honest question. I don't know. If it is the measure of a career, I stand by my post. I am also not sure why you insinuate I am obsessed with Coach K.

The article said that it's not a legacy award, it's who is coaching the best right now. It isn't very well defined, but obviously recent success is weighted more than previous success.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-07-02, 15:17

Turtleneck wrote:

I wasn't trying to insinuate that you are obsessed with Coach K, but other discussions I've seen, and a lot of people just give him a pass, even though, for the most part he has under achieved come March. Yes I know he has won NC's, I just think there are a few other coaches out there, that given the talent that Duke is able to buy, would have been able to do better than him. Izzo included.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-07-02, 15:25

the only thing that sucks more than ESPN is Coach K and Duke..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger 2014-07-02, 15:29

Coach K is a great coach. I hate Duke but he is. So is Izzo. I'd probably have it #1 K, #2 Izzo, #3 Cal, #4 Self.
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-07-02, 15:36

Rodeo Burger wrote:

The article said that it's not a legacy award, it's who is coaching the best right now.  It isn't very well defined, but obviously recent success is weighted more than previous success.

I somehow missed that. Well, I stand corrected on about everything I said.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-07-02, 15:39

InTenSity wrote:
I wasn't trying to insinuate that you are obsessed with Coach K, but other discussions I've seen, and a lot of people just give him a pass, even though, for the most part he has under achieved come March. Yes I know he has won NC's, I just think there are a few other coaches out there, that given the talent that Duke is able to buy, would have been able to do better than him. Izzo included.

Underacheived in March? He has 4 national championships and 11 final fours. His last national title was just 5 years ago. I guess to many basketball fans that is a lifetime ago. It as if they think 5 teams are winning national championships every year.

He pretty much gets a pass from me. Look at his whole track record and it is hard to argue that he isn't the best active coach in college basketball. He does get an abundance of top talent, but it is hard to rip on him for that when he was the one that built the program into what it is today over the last 30 years.

I would say the same types of things about Izzo. I don't know what this polls criteria is but I don't really care. It is not like these guys forgot how to coach all of a sudden. Even when you look at these supposed downfalls that people point to in the last few years, their records still stack up near the top when the program is "down".

Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-07-02, 15:43

Chitown_Badger wrote:Coach K is a great coach. I hate Duke but he is. So is Izzo. I'd probably have it #1 K, #2 Izzo, #3 Cal, #4 Self.
I have more respect for Bo Ryan, than I do any of the other coaches you listed, other than Izzo. Bo might make watching grass more interesting than his style of bball, but never has anyone heard of any type of improprieties coming out of Madison. He has never finished lower than 4th in the B1G, which is one hell of an accomplishment. He's had problems in March, for whatever reason, but his strategy and coaching is probably better than Cal and Self for sure, and rivals Izzo and K.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-07-02, 15:52

InTenSity wrote:
but never has anyone heard of any type of improprieties coming out of Madison. .

I guess you do not consider draining the blood of other humans and screwing people over on used cars improper.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger 2014-07-02, 16:15

InTenSity wrote:
I have more respect for Bo Ryan, than I do any of the other coaches you listed, other than Izzo. Bo might make watching grass more interesting than his style of bball, but never has anyone heard of any type of improprieties coming out of Madison. He has never finished lower than 4th in the B1G, which is one hell of an accomplishment. He's had problems in March, for whatever reason, but his strategy and coaching is probably better than Cal and Self for sure, and rivals Izzo and K.

Good points. But, part of being a top tier coach is bringing in the top flight recruits and getting it done in March. Of course, the difference is that Wisconsin is not even close to Kansas, Duke, or MSU, so a much tougher task to do that.

I'm biased, but if I was to sit down and talk hoops with any of those coaches, Bo would be great to shoot the shit with. Izzo as well because he's a great tactician and clutch coach. K would be monotone and boring as hell, and Self is an arrogant prick.
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-07-02, 16:18

Chitown_Badger wrote:

Good points. But, part of being a top tier coach is bringing in the top flight recruits and getting it done in March. Of course, the difference is that Wisconsin is not even close to Kansas, Duke, or MSU, so a much tougher task to do that.

I'm biased, but if I was to sit down and talk hoops with any of those coaches, Bo would be great to shoot the shit with. Izzo as well because he's a great tactician and clutch coach. K would be monotone and boring as hell, and Self is an arrogant prick.

Pitino will excuse himself, pretend to go the restroom, but actually have sex with your GF somewhere.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer 2014-07-02, 16:25

A subjective list! Oh no!
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down