Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What’s your opinion regarding the cubs fan being banned for life?

+7
Rocinante
Cameron
tGreenWay
Robert J Sakimano
Turtleneck
Other Teams Pursuing That
DWags
11 posters

Go down

What’s your opinion regarding the cubs fan being banned for life?   Empty What’s your opinion regarding the cubs fan being banned for life?

Post by DWags 5/12/2019, 2:29 pm

I really didn’t even know that it was a racist sign.

Banned for life.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What’s your opinion regarding the cubs fan being banned for life?   Empty Re: What’s your opinion regarding the cubs fan being banned for life?

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 5/12/2019, 2:32 pm

I thought that was some bullshit that bros did and if someone saw the signal they would hit them in the arm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What’s your opinion regarding the cubs fan being banned for life?   Empty Re: What’s your opinion regarding the cubs fan being banned for life?

Post by DWags 5/12/2019, 2:46 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I thought that was some bullshit that bros did and if someone saw the signal they would hit them in the arm

Some friends who are dumb as me said it was a game they played at parties. Something like you said.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 5/12/2019, 3:07 pm

Well here is the New Zealand shooter in court

What’s your opinion regarding the cubs fan being banned for life?   190315-new-zealand-shooter-tease_g9waee

Some say it started as hoax, but so many rotten people do it now, you should know better unless you have racist intentions. I won't link the story, but a former Turning Point USA employee used the hand sign and said "white power" (among other things) in a recently released video. It's all over the Internet. You can find it on your own.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 5/12/2019, 5:47 pm

Pretty funny how you can't be an avowed racist white supremacist at a baseball game but you can be one as president.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 5/12/2019, 8:22 pm

Turtleneck wrote:Well here is the New Zealand shooter in court

What’s your opinion regarding the cubs fan being banned for life?   190315-new-zealand-shooter-tease_g9waee

Some say it started as hoax, but so many rotten people do it now, you should know better unless you have racist intentions. I won't link the story, but a former Turning Point USA employee used the hand sign and said "white power" (among other things) in a recently released video. It's all over the Internet. You can find it on your own.

What about basketball players using it after making a 3
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 5/12/2019, 8:42 pm

Those dumbasses flashing it upside down don’t even realize they’ve actived the Society of Mo.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 5/12/2019, 8:46 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

What about basketball players using it after making a 3

I don’t think it’s the same gesture, and even if it is, I think the context is different.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 5/12/2019, 9:43 pm

Whole thing is fucked up. I think it started as a 4chan hoax where they wanted to make people believe the ok sign was a white power hand sign. But they were too effective, and white nationalists started doing it all the fucking time, making it no longer a hoax. But there's still a shitload of normal people who have no idea, so you can't really know for sure ever.

Basically, a thousand layers of irony and sarcasm provide a veneer of plausible deniability that bad actors exploit for cover. It's essentially the hand signal personification of troll culture.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 5/12/2019, 9:44 pm

But anyone in a MAGA hat doing it knows what they're doing. I'm convinced of that.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 5/12/2019, 10:54 pm

Do you all remember when Kavanaugh’s aide was doing it during his senate testimony?

What’s your opinion regarding the cubs fan being banned for life?   Bash

What’s your opinion regarding the cubs fan being banned for life?   DmSz6IFUwAAmUy_.0

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 5/12/2019, 11:39 pm

Fuck that racist piece of shit.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 5/13/2019, 5:18 am

Cameron wrote:But anyone in a MAGA hat doing it knows what they're doing. I'm convinced of that.
yep - the one MAGA white supremacist sitting with Brett Kavanaugh The Rapist was flashing their white supremacist sign during his whiny confirmation hearings.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 5/13/2019, 1:27 pm

Cameron wrote:

Whole thing is fucked up. I think it started as a 4chan hoax where they wanted to make people believe the ok sign was a white power hand sign. But they were too effective, and white nationalists started doing it all the fucking time, making it no longer a hoax. But there's still a shitload of normal people who have no idea, so you can't really know for sure ever.

Basically, a thousand layers of irony and sarcasm provide a veneer of plausible deniability that bad actors exploit for cover. It's essentially the hand signal personification of troll culture.

Yeah, supposedly the Proud Boys were just a joke too but next thing you know you are marching in unison and carrying tiki torches. There was an article about an alt right racist that worked in Washington that just quit and is trying to get her life back on track. She said she started out just being a provocateur and it was a joke at first. Well before long it turned into a serious career.

I think it's become a symbol of people that either want to own the libs or use it as a legitimate hate symbol. Take your pick.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 5/13/2019, 1:28 pm

Turtleneck wrote:Do you all remember when Kavanaugh’s aide was doing it during his senate testimony?

What’s your opinion regarding the cubs fan being banned for life?   Bash

What’s your opinion regarding the cubs fan being banned for life?   DmSz6IFUwAAmUy_.0

Remember it well. Just a piece of shit setting out to the own the libs.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 5/13/2019, 1:55 pm

What’s your opinion regarding the cubs fan being banned for life?   2014-fiba-basketball-world-cup-20140914-200930-745

What’s your opinion regarding the cubs fan being banned for life?   2599972566
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 5/13/2019, 4:31 pm

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:What’s your opinion regarding the cubs fan being banned for life?   2014-fiba-basketball-world-cup-20140914-200930-745

There are alt right nuts on Twitter that coordinate to target certain people on the platform that are African American and one will post an N and then someone will reply to that tweet with an I and they'll fill it up until it spells out that inflamatory word. Then they'll just show up and post an N. It's targeted harassment and when they get banned they cry foul that their free speech was suppressed because they posted a letter from the alphabet.

Yeah, the okay symbol we grew up with is benign but if you are POC and you see people from hate groups committing horrific crimes and then flashing it well it would probably change the way you view it.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 5/13/2019, 4:46 pm

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:What’s your opinion regarding the cubs fan being banned for life?   2014-fiba-basketball-world-cup-20140914-200930-745

That's part of what makes this so fucked. There are lots of people using it to signal a 3, or mean okay, or play that "made you look" game, or whatever, and they presumably have no idea of the recent significance the gesture has acquired in other contexts. But, concurrently, racists are using it to identify one another. I blame the internet.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 5/13/2019, 10:33 pm

Yeah it used to be ok to say that’s “retarded” or “gay”. It’s not anymore and everybody knows it. What’s your point?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 5/14/2019, 12:29 am

Here is Richard Spencer. He just made a three pointer.

What’s your opinion regarding the cubs fan being banned for life?   Image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fmedia%2FCwxuU6gWIAAc_aY
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 5/14/2019, 11:46 am

Rocinante wrote:Yeah it used to be ok to say that’s  “retarded” or “gay”. It’s not anymore and everybody knows it.  What’s your point?

What the fuck are you on about? This is not at all similar. You presumably have a college degree, so I shouldn't have to explain the difference to you
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 5/14/2019, 4:54 pm

Cameron wrote:
Rocinante wrote:Yeah it used to be ok to say that’s  “retarded” or “gay”. It’s not anymore and everybody knows it.  What’s your point?

What the fuck are you on about? This is not at all similar. You presumably have a college degree, so I shouldn't have to explain the difference to you

How is it different?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 5/14/2019, 7:40 pm

Rocinante wrote:
Cameron wrote:

How is it different?

With retarded and gay, those were always used as insults, and there is precious little ambiguity where intent is concerned. The usage didn't change, the culture and acceptance of those words changed.

With this hand signal, the usage is and has been varied, and intent is somewhat ambiguous and largely based on context. There is now a new emergent usage which is very far removed from all other uses in meaning. Culture and acceptance around this hand gesture are slowly changing, but there are still plenty of contexts where using this gesture is unobjectionable.

Get it yet?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 5/14/2019, 10:20 pm

No. Because it’s now been coopted by white supremacists. So the context is no longer ambiguous. Caveat: at least for now. I’ll grant that it has a long innocent history that could outlast the bullshit. But “gay” was not always an insult, and neither was “retarded”.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 5/14/2019, 10:38 pm

So speculate. Why isn’t the fan lawyering up? I don’t get it. He could be ruined at work. They tracked him down and sent him a letter. If he was just playing the game with friends I’d come out swinging. Sue for millions.

My speculation is that if this guy isn’t suing the cubs, the cubs found something in his background that they told him about in the letter.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 5/15/2019, 1:41 am

DWags wrote:So speculate. Why isn’t the fan lawyering up? I don’t get it. He could be ruined at work. They tracked him down and sent him a letter. If he was just playing the game with friends I’d come out swinging. Sue for millions.

My speculation is that if this guy isn’t suing the cubs, the cubs found something in his background that they told him about in the letter.

Banning fans from stadiums in European soccer for racist ass bullshit is not entirely uncommon.

I don’t know what that means legally, probably nothing. But I guess I’m just telling you that there are places where if you do something obviously racist they can tell you to go fuck yourself and the courts would tell your lawsuit to go fuck itself.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 5/15/2019, 6:18 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
DWags wrote:So speculate. Why isn’t the fan lawyering up? I don’t get it. He could be ruined at work. They tracked him down and sent him a letter. If he was just playing the game with friends I’d come out swinging. Sue for millions.

Banning fans from stadiums in European soccer for racist ass bullshit is not entirely uncommon.

I don’t know what that means legally, probably nothing. But I guess I’m just telling you that there are places where if you do something obviously racist they can tell you to go fuck yourself and the courts would tell your lawsuit to go fuck itself.

I guess I’m just asking about the “obviously racist” part. People in this thread were/are confused by it.

Like I say. I’m guessing there’s stuff in that guys background because I’d come out swinging if it wasn’t.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 5/15/2019, 10:46 am

Rocinante wrote:No. Because it’s now been coopted by white supremacists. So the context is no longer ambiguous. Caveat: at least for now. I’ll grant that it has a long innocent history that could outlast the bullshit. But “gay” was not always an insult, and neither was “retarded”.

Sorry you can't grasp it.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 5/19/2019, 8:39 am

Glanville. good read.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/18/opinion/sunday/doug-glanville-cubs.html
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down