Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleveland! This Quake is For You!

+7
Watch Out Pylon!
Travis of the Cosmos
DWags
I.B. Fine
Robert J Sakimano
steveschneider
Floyd Robertson
11 posters

Go down

Cleveland! This Quake is For You! Empty Cleveland! This Quake is For You!

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-06-10, 11:26

[tw]1138101056225841153[/tw]

Cleveland got a 4.0!
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Cleveland! This Quake is For You! Empty Re: Cleveland! This Quake is For You!

Post by steveschneider 2019-06-10, 12:24

Wow. That's crazy. That's one of the biggest ones I can recall on this side of the country. I think the biggest I've seen is around a 3.0.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-06-10, 12:28

#JeSuisCleveland

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-06-10, 12:30

Looked up the 2011 earth quake. I guess it was 5.8 in Virginia and it was felt in New York.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-06-10, 13:15

I feel cheated, didn't even notice it.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-06-10, 13:15

steveschneider wrote:Looked up the 2011 earth quake. I guess it was 5.8 in Virginia and it was felt in New York.

Yep, I was in Arlington Cemetery when it hit. Was with the oldest, who got sick one minute before it. I said "lets go up to the Lee House and get some water". As we approached, it hit, some wall in there fell. I said to her, "wow, that wall fell and it shook the ground". She said, "No dad the opposite happened". Sure enough. Took me 3 hours to get back downtown DC where we were staying because grid lock hit the city and everyone was leaving. I could see our hotel. Told the wife to take the kids and walk there probably 3/4 of a mile, and I'd join them later. 1 hour later I got there, she was at the pool having a drink chuckling at my luck.

Gets better. We stay one more day in DC. Leave for Ocean City. Well, look up Hurricane Irene. We were there for 5 hours. Mayor of Ocean City said all hotels had to be evacuated. We had to leave in a hurry. I found out that day there are speakers in your hotel room. Never knew that. We made Annapolis like at 1:00 A.M., never got to have one meal at Ocean City, not one fun thing. We took our suitcases up, put suits on, walked down to the beach, the young one jumped in the waves, had a beer or two, got back up in the room and they were announcing the hotel had to be evacuated by 11 that night.

At the time my kids were 14 and 11 I think. Smart ass kids. On the way back the next day after annapolis kids were saying from the back of the van, "Great vacation dad, earthquake and hurricane in one shot" I said to them they'd always remember it. Little fuckers.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-06-10, 13:17

steveschneider wrote:Wow. That's crazy. That's one of the biggest ones I can recall on this side of the country. I think the biggest I've seen is around a 3.0.

The one in Michigan in I think 2014 was 4.5
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-06-10, 13:20

BTW, I'm probably boring people, but when I called my mom after the quake, she reminded me that my grandfather, her dad, would get sick right before quakes in California happened. He lived in Hemet between LA and San Diego. I guess it happened about 3 or 4 times to him in his life. He'd feel sick to his stomach and the quake would hit. So, we thought that was weird that the girl, his great grand daughter was sick right before the Arlington Cemetery quake. Just a coincidence but weird none the less.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-06-10, 13:36

Question: Aside from living on or near fault lines, living near an active volcano, or mining companies fracking the fuck out of the land how does an earthquake happen in relatively stable land masses like Cleveland? Or was this one a result of fracking?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-06-10, 13:54

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Question: Aside from living on or near fault lines, living near an active volcano, or mining companies fracking the fuck out of the land how does an earthquake happen in relatively stable land masses like Cleveland? Or was this one a result of fracking?

Ohio sits on the edge of the New Madrid Seismic Zone\

Most can't even be felt.

List of Recent Ohio Quakes
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-06-10, 14:14

At least Cleveland always has a rhyme with its taglines: The mistake by the lake. The earthquake in the lake.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-06-10, 14:28

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Question: Aside from living on or near fault lines, living near an active volcano, or mining companies fracking the fuck out of the land how does an earthquake happen in relatively stable land masses like Cleveland? Or was this one a result of fracking?

I also think there's a major fault line in New York. It's been 8 years but since the Virginia quake, I had got interested in it, and I recall there is a big fault line that runs along 125th St. in Manhattan. She's gonna blow someday. I'd say History tells us we're pretty safe, but who knows, it will happens someday.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2019-06-10, 14:37

If Cleveland slid into Lake Erie, would it be missed?
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-06-10, 14:46

DWags wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Looked up the 2011 earth quake. I guess it was 5.8 in Virginia and it was felt in New York.

Yep, I was in Arlington Cemetery when it hit. Was with the oldest, who got sick one minute before it. I said "lets go up to the Lee House and get some water". As we approached, it hit, some wall in there fell. I said to her, "wow, that wall fell and it shook the ground". She said, "No dad the opposite happened". Sure enough. Took me 3 hours to get back downtown DC where we were staying because grid lock hit the city and everyone was leaving. I could see our hotel. Told the wife to take the kids and walk there probably 3/4 of a mile, and I'd join them later. 1 hour later I got there, she was at the pool having a drink chuckling at my luck.

Gets better. We stay one more day in DC. Leave for Ocean City. Well, look up Hurricane Irene. We were there for 5 hours. Mayor of Ocean City said all hotels had to be evacuated. We had to leave in a hurry. I found out that day there are speakers in your hotel room. Never knew that. We made Annapolis like at 1:00 A.M., never got to have one meal at Ocean City, not one fun thing. We took our suitcases up, put suits on, walked down to the beach, the young one jumped in the waves, had a beer or two, got back up in the room and they were announcing the hotel had to be evacuated by 11 that night.

At the time my kids were 14 and 11 I think. Smart ass kids. On the way back the next day after annapolis kids were saying from the back of the van, "Great vacation dad, earthquake and hurricane in one shot" I said to them they'd always remember it. Little fuckers.
since we're tellin' memorable vacation stories..

we were flying to London one year for XMas.. got over the Atlantic and Heathrow had been shut down due to a historic ice storm.. plane turned around and we landed at JFK at around 2:00 AM.. because of the ice storm and stranded travelers, lots of hotels in and around JFK were booked solid, so Delta put us all on a bus and drove us way out into Long Island for a day or two.. luckily, we ended up re-booking out flight over East Lansing's spring break.. so we ended up just flying back from JFK to Detroit and spending XMas at home.. which was fine, really.

funny part about it - the stay on Long Island was kind of fun - we debated what to do, along with every other person stranded, as well - the hotel bar probably experienced near record levels of action for a good 24-36 hours. It was right off the Long Island Expressway - and we checked all of our luggage - so I ran across rush hour traffic on the LIE to get to a Target (I felt like Frogger in the human form.. lucky I didn't get ran over)... simply to get things like toothbrushes, deodorant, underwear, etc - Cleveland! This Quake is For You! 502811600 - from then on, we pack those sorts of essentials in the carry on.

anyway.. thoughts and prayers with Cleveland.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-06-10, 14:52

DWags wrote:

That's a great story. Yeah, I was on lunch break when that earth quake hit. Got back and lot of people evacuated our building. Talked to a guy that worked 20 floors up and he told me it was terrifying. He felt the building sway and this was a 53 story building. My roommate at the time was at our apartment and he told me he thought the building was going to come down. I never felt it where I was at.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-06-10, 16:09

Jake from State Farm wrote:If Cleveland slid into Lake Erie, would it be missed?

Spoken like someone who's never been there (at least not in the last decade)

I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-06-10, 16:33

I.B. Fine wrote:
Jake from State Farm wrote:If Cleveland slid into Lake Erie, would it be missed?

Thanks for the information, Mr. Bitterman.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-06-10, 16:38

I.B. Fine wrote:

Did you feel the earth quake? Or do you not live there anymore?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-06-10, 17:11

steveschneider wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

Did you feel the earth quake? Or do you not live there anymore?

I didn't notice it, I think I was driving, so would of just felt like another pothole.
Maybe up a couple floors would have been conspicuous, I'll have to check with some peeps that work downtown in the high rises.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-06-10, 17:13

tGreenWay wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

You should visit some time, I'll buy you a beer in the Flats and show you how the lift bridge works when the train speeds by.

Don't worry, I'll hold your beer. Cleveland! This Quake is For You! 3836498553
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-06-10, 17:50

I.B. Fine wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

You should visit some time, I'll buy you a beer in the Flats and show you how the lift bridge works when the train speeds by.

Cleveland! This Quake is For You! 502811600

Thanks, but I’ll pass. I don’t want my legacy to be: He died in Ohio.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-06-10, 18:59

I.B. Fine wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Cleveland! This Quake is For You! 502811600
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-06-10, 23:20

It's weird.  Spent a cumulative time of maybe 2 months in SoCal where shakes supposedly happen all the time...never felt anything while out there.  Been a couple rumblings in the Detroit area over the years and didn't notice them either.

Co-worker is ex Marine.  Informed him of the Cleveland quake around lunch time.  He replied with an amusing story.  Was stationed at Camp Pendleton on a training exercise with his squad when he felt the ground swaying.  Said he may have turned white wondering WTF was going on.  His squad leader looked at him and said, "Hey, Detroit.  You never felt an earthquake before?" and laughed.

Co-worker's surprise was the way it felt.  Said he was thinking they would shake but it was a swaying motion, like being on a surf board.  Probably varies on the type of fault line and/or intensity.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down