Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

529 Gurus

+2
AvgMSUJoe
Dendrobates
6 posters

Go down

529 Gurus Empty 529 Gurus

Post by Dendrobates 2019-06-20, 10:23

I opened a 529 plan a little over a year ago for my kid. She’ll be 2 next month. What age based percentage do you guys recommend with aggressive vs conservative funds? Right now, it’s in the 0-4 age category, and I have 75% in aggressive and 25% in conservative. Does that seem ok? I thought of putting a higher percent in the aggressive category, but Trumps market makes me feel like a big correction/dive will happen. Of course we can all speculate. I’m not knowledgeable about this stuff, and neither is anyone in my family. So I’m not sure the best way to go about it.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

529 Gurus Empty Re: 529 Gurus

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-06-20, 10:50

Balls out baby.

I seriously didn't adjust mine from aggressive until my kid was a Jr in high school. Probably not the smartest play, but its all a crap shoot anyway.

My first kid's 529 went through the internet and housing crash (born in 2000)... He ended up having only slightly more in it then my Sophomore despite 3 extra years. My 8 year old has a HUGE jump on both of them just how the market has been the last couple years.

Stock market is a gamble, and unless you are a "market person"... just toss your cash in the aggressive and hope for the best until they are in high school.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-06-20, 10:56

I never had one for my kids, but I look at it the same as an IRA. Balls to the wall until you get closer to cashing it out, depending on your risk tolerance.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-06-20, 11:02

I assume you're contributing regularly, not just dumping a bundle in all at once.
That is what they call dollar cost averaging, sometimes your cash buys more, sometimes less, but on average you'll be fine, at least until the asteroid hits us. affraid

I'd suggest looking at how the funds you're in have done on the market dips, as long as they haven't deviated too far from the market (like down waay more and not recovering nearly as much) I'd allocate as you are comfortable, 75/25 is not a problem, if you're comfortable going 100%, go for it.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-06-20, 12:14

I'm probably not the best person to ask since I don't even know what that is.. but good luck with things.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-06-20, 14:01

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'm probably not the best person to ask since I don't even know what that is.. but good luck with things.

Tax deferred savings account to pay for college. (Ask the wife, she'll probably know.)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-06-20, 14:18

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'm probably not the best person to ask since I don't even know what that is.. but good luck with things.

For you, the question amounts to how much moonshine should Dendro keep buried in the backyard?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-06-20, 18:53

tGreenWay wrote:

For you, the question amounts to how much moonshine should Dendro keep buried in the backyard?
speaking of which, I am about to wrap up my corn liquor stash from the mountains and hollers of North Carolina.

Just a little splash left in the bottom of the mason jar.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-06-20, 20:07

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

speaking of which, I am about to wrap up my corn liquor stash from the mountains and hollers of North Carolina.

Just a little splash left in the bottom of the mason jar.

Translation: You’ve not done well with your investments, and Dendro should ake no advice from you.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down