Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coronavirus?? We gone?

+29
InTenSity
The Pantry
MSU addict
aualum06
WhiteBoyHatcher
Dendrobates
pulling69
Other Teams Pursuing That
Travis of the Cosmos
GRR Spartan
MiamiSpartan
AvgMSUJoe
Robert J Sakimano
Nordic
Turtleneck
kingstonlake
Floyd Robertson
Heat Miser
I.B. Fine
duffy munn
Rocinante
Banks2Mason
Senior Dickfist
tGreenWay
Jake from State Farm
NigelUno
steveschneider
Watch Out Pylon!
DWags
33 posters

Page 3 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 25  Next

Go down

Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 3 Empty Re: Coronavirus?? We gone?

Post by Heat Miser Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:59 pm

Most cases are not life-threatening, which is also what makes the virus a historic challenge to contain.

You’re Likely to Get the Coronavirus
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:13 pm

steveschneider wrote:Anyone know what Gary Barnett thinks about this?

Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 3 1486952199

Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 3 1362440668 tGreenway
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:24 pm

Nordic wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Anyone know what Gary Barnett thinks about this?

Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 3 1486952199

Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 3 1362440668 tGreenway

Imma have to share my password with my wife to announce my Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 3 3836498553
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:59 pm

Heat Miser wrote:
Most cases are not life-threatening, which is also what makes the virus a historic challenge to contain.

Good read

Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 3 4113017228 now I'm nervous about making a joke about tGreenway's inevitable doom
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:25 pm

Nordic wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

Good read

Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 3 4113017228 now I'm nervous about making a joke about tGreenway's inevitable doom

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:41 pm

This paragraph kind of bothers me.

Coronaviruses are similar to influenza viruses in that they are both single strands of RNA. Four coronaviruses commonly infect humans, causing colds. These are believed to have evolved in humans to maximize their own spread—which means sickening, but not killing, people. By contrast, the two prior novel coronavirus outbreaks—SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) and MERS (Middle East respiratory syndrome, named for where the first outbreak occurred)—were picked up from animals, as was H5N1. These diseases were highly fatal to humans. If there were mild or asymptomatic cases, they were extremely few. Had there been more of them, the disease would have spread widely. Ultimately, SARS and MERS each killed fewer than 1,000 people. wrote:

Are they saying that viruses can infect people and somehow it' knows not to get the host too infected the the host body will be able to spread it? I mean, like these things can think? That's pretty crazy.

Good read and thanks. But wild.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:50 pm

DWags wrote:This paragraph kind of bothers me.

Coronaviruses are similar to influenza viruses in that they are both single strands of RNA. Four coronaviruses commonly infect humans, causing colds. These are believed to have evolved in humans to maximize their own spread—which means sickening, but not killing, people. By contrast, the two prior novel coronavirus outbreaks—SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) and MERS (Middle East respiratory syndrome, named for where the first outbreak occurred)—were picked up from animals, as was H5N1. These diseases were highly fatal to humans. If there were mild or asymptomatic cases, they were extremely few. Had there been more of them, the disease would have spread widely. Ultimately, SARS and MERS each killed fewer than 1,000 people. wrote:

Are they saying that viruses can infect people and somehow it' knows not to get the host too infected the the host body will be able to spread it? I mean, like these things can think? That's pretty crazy.

That wasn’t my takeaway. It said SARS and MERS didn’t fuck around; they attacked the body and fairly quickly caused death. They didn’t linger in the body before showing symptoms. Because of that, the global spread was reduced.
In other viruses such as this new one, it is more mild and might linger awhile before a patient presents, which allows the virus to spread much more because a person doesn’t necessarily know they are ill.
As for your last question, because these things are living organisms, I guess you’d have to consider they’re fighting to live and expand in the same vein as Darwin explained in other living things.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:46 pm

Are they saying that viruses can infect people and somehow it' knows not to get the host too infected the the host body will be able to spread it?  I mean, like these things can think?   That's pretty crazy.

Good read and thanks.   But wild.  

They're learning!

Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 3 Tenor
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:47 pm

tGreenWay wrote:

That wasn’t my takeaway. It said SARS and MERS didn’t fuck around; they attacked the body and fairly quickly caused death. They didn’t linger in the body before showing symptoms. Because of that, the global spread was reduced.
In other viruses such as this new one, it is more mild and might linger awhile before a patient presents, which allows the virus to spread much more because a person doesn’t necessarily know they are ill.
As for your last question, because these things are living organisms, I guess you’d have to consider they’re fighting to live and expand in the same vein as Darwin explained in other living things.

Thanks Dr Swill Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 3 2809484752
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:18 am

tGreenWay wrote:

That’s up for debate....

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/are-viruses-alive-2004/

It’s an interesting thing to think about though.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:16 am

I like the term “borrowed life”. Good reads in this thread. Thx
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:19 pm

DWags wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:We're going to feel economic impact for a few months just from supply chain disruption. Can't make sales goals if you can't get product.
It will be easy for anyone to see how global the economy really is.

Can't remember the specific part, but we had dinner with another couple last night.  Dorian Ford is pretty big in our area.  The biggest.  The women in the other couple has had her Explorer at Dorian for going on the 4th week now.  They couldn't get get a part for the transmission.   They told her last friday it was the virus fault.  I was skeptical, but maybe they (Dorian Ford) aren't lying.  She's on her second loaner.  When it gets to 2000 miles they want you to turn it in because of future sales.  

It wouldn't surprise me. There is a lot going on behind the scenes (air lifting parts daily, resourcing, etc.) for parts coming from China and it is probably going to get worse before it gets better. My initial thought on this was, the timeline doesn't make sense for service parts to be an issue, as those should of already been in the depots or on the water for this month. But the OEs may be diverting service part inventory to keep the assembly plants running (pure speculation on my part). None of my parts are currently effected.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:16 pm

Nordic wrote:
DWags wrote:

Can't remember the specific part, but we had dinner with another couple last night.  Dorian Ford is pretty big in our area.  The biggest.  The women in the other couple has had her Explorer at Dorian for going on the 4th week now.  They couldn't get get a part for the transmission.   They told her last friday it was the virus fault.  I was skeptical, but maybe they (Dorian Ford) aren't lying.  She's on her second loaner.  When it gets to 2000 miles they want you to turn it in because of future sales.  

It wouldn't surprise me. There is a lot going on behind the scenes (air lifting parts daily, resourcing, etc.) for parts coming from China and it is probably going to get worse before it gets better. My initial thought on this was, the timeline doesn't make sense for service parts to be an issue, as those should of already been in the depots or on the water for this month. But the OEs may be diverting service part inventory to keep the assembly plants running (pure speculation on my part). None of my parts are currently effected.
you should put one of those masks on your parts just in case.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:19 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Nordic wrote:

you should put one of those masks on your parts just in case.

I just bought the last surgical masks left on Amazon. I plan on selling them for $100 a piece. It's the new BTC.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:40 pm

The CDC is now basically saying prepare your anus and the White House is requesting $1.25 billion as part of a $2.5 billion commitment to fight it.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:52 pm

Nordic wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: you should put one of those masks on your parts just in case.

I just bought the last surgical masks left on Amazon. I plan on selling them for $100 a piece. It's the new BTC.
America is a stupid country.. which means you'll be a millionaire in no time. Congrats, dude. Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 3 3493939353

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:54 pm

Rush Limbaugh - the epitome of health and wellness - says that it's just the basic flu virus and that this is simply an effort for people to blame something on his christian hero.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:19 pm

Dick Pound weighs in on the Tokyo Olympics..

TOKYO (AP) — A senior member of the International Olympic Committee said Tuesday that if it proves too dangerous to hold the Olympics in Tokyo this summer because of the coronavirus outbreak, organizers are more likely to cancel it altogether than to postpone or move it.

Dick Pound, a former Canadian swimming champion who has been on the IOC since 1978, making him its longest-serving member, estimated there is a three-month window — perhaps a two-month one — to decide the fate of the Tokyo Olympics, meaning a decision could be put off until late May.

Click Me, My Name Is Dick Pound
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:26 pm

Remind the RS in your life...
[tw]1232333669869793281[/tw]
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:34 pm

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Remind the RS in your life...

Can we not do this here? kthxbye
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:35 pm

Nordic wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:Remind the RS in your life...

Can we not do this here? kthxbye
April will be here soon enough.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:36 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Dick Pound weighs in on the Tokyo Olympics..

TOKYO (AP) — A senior member of the International Olympic Committee said Tuesday that if it proves too dangerous to hold the Olympics in Tokyo this summer because of the coronavirus outbreak, organizers are more likely to cancel it altogether than to postpone or move it.

Dick Pound, a former Canadian swimming champion who has been on the IOC since 1978, making him its longest-serving member, estimated there is a three-month window — perhaps a two-month one — to decide the fate of the Tokyo Olympics, meaning a decision could be put off until late May.

Unless something changes drastically in the next month, I can't see them going through with it. Which sucks for everyone that has been training for it and the $$ Japan has spent as the host.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:39 pm

Nordic wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Dick Pound weighs in on the Tokyo Olympics..

Unless something changes drastically in the next month, I can't see them going through with it. Which sucks for everyone that has been training for it and the $$ Japan has spent as the host.
I hear ya - esp. the athletes from the more non-traditional sports who only get their chance to shine once every four years.

and definitely the money that Japan must've spent preparing for it. I suspect it's into the billions.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:46 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Unless something changes drastically in the next  month, I can't see them going through with it. Which sucks for everyone that has been training for it and the $$ Japan has spent as the host.
I hear ya - esp. the athletes from the more non-traditional sports who only get their chance to shine once every four years.

and definitely the money that Japan must've spent preparing for it. I suspect it's into the billions.

Kids will be really bummed about the Women's soccer and gymnastics. I briefly contemplated making a road trip.

Hopefully this shit turns around, but I just can't see it happening.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:51 pm

Wow, that would be tragic. Especially for world class athletes that know how to make their body peak right for the olympics. If they put them off for a year or whatever, that can fuck with body chemistry I assume. I started this thread as a joke. It's gonna fuck us up though.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:02 pm

DWags wrote:Wow, that would be tragic. Especially for world class athletes that know how to make their body peak right for the olympics. If they put them off for a year or whatever, that can fuck with body chemistry I assume. I started this thread as a joke. It's gonna fuck us up though.

Except for tGreenway, we should all be fine. But the mass quarantines and border shutdowns is going really fuck with the economy. And we'll all probably be getting Corona shots next year along with our flu shots.

What is that book called that is all about the planet always finding a way to right size itself through war, disease or famine?
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:03 pm

Nordic wrote:
DWags wrote:Wow, that would be tragic. Especially for world class athletes that know how to make their body peak right for the olympics. If they put them off for a year or whatever, that can fuck with body chemistry I assume. I started this thread as a joke. It's gonna fuck us up though.

Except for tGreenway, we should all be fine. But the mass quarantines and border shutdowns is going really fuck with the economy. And we'll all probably be getting Corona shots next year along with our flu shots.

What is that book called that is all about the planet always finding a way to right size itself through war, disease or famine?

The Bible?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:12 pm

Nordic wrote:

I’m going to haunt you the most. Then, I’m going to DWags house cuz it’s super easy to get in.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:13 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Nordic wrote:

The Bible?

Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 3 502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:14 pm

It’s going to be a good time to go stock shopping soon.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:17 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Nordic wrote:

The Bible?

Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 3 502811600 maybe

Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 3 4113017228 I never read it
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:17 pm

tGreenWay wrote:It’s going to be a good time to go stock shopping soon.

Yup
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:18 pm

tGreenWay wrote:It’s going to be a good time to go stock shopping soon.
I invest in Jesus.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:20 pm

Nordic wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

The Bible?

Heathen! We’ve got a heathen here! Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 3 1550444538
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:57 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 3 1362440668
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:42 pm

Nordic wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 3 1362440668

They have to have it on tape or a pod cast by now. Lots of small words in our family bible. I tried to read it once. Got pretty bored actually.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:42 pm

Trump says we need to wait for warm weather.

Limbaugh, the guy who reportedly stays in his Miami Beach estate with its own broadcast studio for weeks at a time says it’s another flu virus.

CDC is sending out advisories and warning of possible office and plant closings on a large scale in infected areas.  Telling universities and school systems to have plans in place  for closing schools.  Telling businesses to be ready to rollout telecommuting.

The investor community is listening to experts.  The CDC.

Dozens of manufacturers whose production is in China and Korea from automotive components, electronic components that go in everything from your car to the circuit board in your TV remote control are telling their US and European partners to expect long delays.  Over 90% of residential lighting, light switches, sockets, even switch plates aren’t being made and factory stock is sitting in containers on Chinese docks.  Almost every US electrical component and lighting manufacturer are  sending out the the same warning letters.

Nothing to worry about.......Riiiiight
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:02 pm

GRR Spartan wrote:Trump says we need to wait for warm weather.

Limbaugh, the guy who reportedly stays in his Miami Beach estate with its own broadcast studio for weeks at a time says it’s another flu virus.

CDC is sending out advisories and warning of possible office and plant closings on a large scale in infected areas.  Telling universities and school systems to have plans in place  for closing schools.  Telling businesses to be ready to rollout telecommuting.

The investor community is listening to experts.  The CDC.

Dozens of manufacturers whose production is in China and Korea from automotive components, electronic components that go in everything from your car to the circuit board in your TV remote control are telling their US and European partners to expect long delays.  Over 90% of residential lighting, light switches, sockets, even switch plates aren’t being made and factory stock is sitting in containers on Chinese docks.  Almost every US electrical component and lighting manufacturer are  sending out the the same warning letters.

Nothing to worry about.......Riiiiight

This isn't going to be contained and it's going to spread like wild fire. I think as a species there's only one thing to do, just ride it out and see what happens and hope that scientists can get a vaccine asap.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:35 pm

I had a case of coronavirus a few years ago. It was kinda scary how quickly it escalated. Started out like any common cold. Lingered for a week and then got worse. Went to the doctor and got diagnosed. Quickly turned into walking pneumonia. I got put on Z-Pack and finally got better.

Long story short, this is worse than the fucking flu. For little kids and older people it is absolutely deadly.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:37 pm

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:I had a case of coronavirus a few years ago. It was kinda scary how quickly it escalated. Started out like any common cold. Lingered for a week and then got worse. Went to the doctor and got diagnosed. Quickly turned into walking pneumonia. I got put on Z-Pack and finally got better.

Long story short, this is worse than the fucking flu. For little kids and older people it is absolutely deadly.

For real? How did you catch it?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 25  Next