Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wharton center gift shop.

+11
NigelUno
Cameron
Travis of the Cosmos
Floyd Robertson
Senior Dickfist
tGreenWay
Heat Miser
Watch Out Pylon!
steveschneider
Robert J Sakimano
DWags
15 posters

Go down

Wharton center gift shop.   Empty Wharton center gift shop.

Post by DWags 2020-02-03, 05:48

Seems they were selling historical black figures. They seem to be ornaments. Problem is, they were hanging from a tree. MSU is apologizing

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2020/02/02/msu-officials-apologize-over-racially-insensitive-gift-shop-display/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=snd&utm_content=wdiv&fbclid=IwAR3DF3LzaqnQMD4zSU_nAtL_DJ1E2hmgY3gham9aZiE32SyJw62MwHsqPkE
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Wharton center gift shop.   Empty Re: Wharton center gift shop.

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-02-03, 06:32

I'm far from some social justice warrior-type but I'm not sure who thought that was a good idea.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-02-03, 09:53

I'm with Bob, that doesn't look good at all. Those even look rope like in the pic.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-02-03, 10:01

steveschneider wrote:I'm with Bob, that doesn't look good at all. Those even look rope like in the pic.
'zactly..

I mean, people will always find something to whine about, but I'm not sure how you can look at that display and not be like "ummm... yeah, this isn't the look we're aiming for" and correct it before the doors open.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-02-03, 13:09

If they were tied to barely visible wire that would be much better. The string gives off a lynching vibe. Not the best look.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Wharton center gift shop.   Empty Michigan State University Apologizes For Hanging Historical Black Figures From Tree In Black History Month Display

Post by Heat Miser 2020-02-03, 15:21

The string of fuck-ups continues.

Michigan State University Apologizes For Hanging Historical Black Figures From Tree In Black History Month Display

Wharton center gift shop.   83759369_10219392526711140_6340397521705107456_n-1122x1496
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-02-03, 15:22

Heat Miser wrote:The string of fuck-ups continues.

Michigan State University Apologizes For Hanging Historical Black Figures From Tree In Black History Month Display

Wharton center gift shop.   83759369_10219392526711140_6340397521705107456_n-1122x1496
looks like a Trump rally.

oh - and there is a thread about this at tBin. Feel free to merge.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-02-03, 15:44

Can we please stop stepping on our dicks?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-02-03, 15:47

Not one person who could stop these from going out the door looked at them and thought, "Man, that really doesn't look good"?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist 2020-02-03, 15:49

tGreenWay wrote:Can we please stop stepping on our dicks?

Apparently not. It's as if someone made a deal with the devil for a handful of good years of football and now he's making us pay. Which one of you bastards made the deal?
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-02-03, 15:50

Senior Dickfist wrote:

Apparently not. It's as if someone made a deal with the devil for a handful of good years of football and now he's making us pay. Which one of you bastards made the deal?

My money is on Nigel.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-02-03, 15:51

It's amazing to me that MSU could name such a facility after it's 1st black president and then 30 years later pull of another incredible feat of insensitivity.

Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-02-03, 15:56

I’m wondering if it was 1) a massively stupid but genuine accident where at least a handful of employees really didn’t realize how bad it was or 2) a massively stupid idiot who knew exactly what they were doing, likely thought it was funny or something, followed by a handful of employees who didn’t realize how bad it was.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2020-02-03, 15:59

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I’m wondering if it was 1) a massively stupid but genuine accident where at least a handful of employees really didn’t realize how bad it was or 2) a massively stupid idiot who knew exactly what they were doing, likely thought it was funny or something, followed by a handful of employees who didn’t realize how bad it was.

I'd say #2.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-02-03, 16:05

Floyd Robertson wrote:

It's amazing to me that MSU could name such a facility after it's 1st black president and then 30 years later pull of another incredible feat of insensitivity.

My hope is this was simply based on ignorance, but lessons absolutely must be learned. I haven’t been in the gift shop in ages, but it used to be staffed by little old ladies who likely wouldn’t know better and probably had no clue just how bad racism really was in this country during their lifetimes.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-02-03, 16:11

Heat Miser wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I’m wondering if it was 1) a massively stupid but genuine accident where at least a handful of employees really didn’t realize how bad it was or 2) a massively stupid idiot who knew exactly what they were doing, likely thought it was funny or something, followed by a handful of employees who didn’t realize how bad it was.

I'd say #2.

I'm inclined to agree. Probably some edgelord with insufficient oversight.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-02-03, 16:12

For Black History Month, they decided to sell Christmas Tree ornaments?

Suspect
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-02-03, 16:31

NigelUno wrote:For Black History Month, they decided to sell Christmas Tree ornaments?

Suspect

Buying ornaments is a year ‘round thing, and these ornaments were specifically for Black History Month. There’s nothing unusual about that part of the story.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-02-03, 16:39

Scrap the University.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-02-03, 22:28

Some one in that gift shop should lose their job over this.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-02-03, 22:33

steveschneider wrote:Some one in that gift shop should lose their job over this.

If it was an innocent mistake, that would be pretty harsh.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-02-04, 11:08

My guess... They got a new shipment in and some dummy grabbed the first thing they could hang them on. I bet they were up for all of 20 min before someone sane noticed and they were taken down... but someone looking for issues got a picture in first.

Gives me a flashback of something Jemel Hill would have loved back in the day.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-02-04, 11:16

Saw on twitter Miles Bridges and Dawson both were livid and hurt by this. Not a good look.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason 2020-02-04, 12:07

i like when middle white guys tell minorities what they're allowed to be upset about
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-02-04, 12:53

Banks2Mason wrote:i like when middle white guys tell minorities what they're allowed to be upset about

"someone looking for issues"

"jemel hill would have loved back in the day"

some cringeworthy statements by AvgMSUJoe - but my days of trying to combat this type of shit is long behind me. beyond help or change.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-02-04, 13:20

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Banks2Mason wrote:i like when middle white guys tell minorities what they're allowed to be upset about

some cringeworthy statements by AvgMSUJoe - but my days of trying to combat this type of shit is long behind me. beyond help or change.

It's hard to gauge intent. I think we all recognize what it looks like (and that obviously wasn't good). There is a later picture in the video that shows green "branches" as part of the display (that weren't in the first picture).

If they were ornaments and meant to be placed on a tree, it would look a lot different with just the tree frame, as opposed to being decorated with green branches and lights (to cover up the twine or rope or whatever was used).

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-02-04, 13:32

NigelUno wrote:

It's hard to gauge intent. I think we all recognize what it looks like (and that obviously wasn't good). There is a later picture in the video that shows green "branches" as part of the display (that weren't in the first picture).

If they were ornaments and meant to be placed on a tree, it would look a lot different with just the tree frame, as opposed to being decorated with green branches and lights (to cover up the twine or rope or whatever was used).

So I was a student custodian back in 1984. Had two floors I had to clean in 4 hours in Bessy hall. Empty trash, erase boards, sweep floors clean the restroom. Took me two hours, and I started at 10:00 pm. finished at 2:00 a.m. I want to say It was like an astounding 12 bucks an hour back then, huge money. Anyway, here's my question. Lets say I'm a custodian at the Wharton Center. Lets say I did that same shift. Got done early, studied from Midnight till 2 a.m. or fell asleep on a couch somewhere. I never noticed that display, never thought about it. They're talking about "all staff being put through sensitivity training". Do I have to go through it? Not that it isn't good for everybody to do it now and then, but to be forced to do that would kind of piss me off. I'd do it, I'd benefit from it, but damn, why do I have to pay for some idiots mistake? Someone way above my pay grade made that decision, a decision I never heard of had imput with or thought of.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-02-04, 13:37

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

So I was a student custodian back in 1984. Had two floors I had to clean in 4 hours in Bessy hall. Empty trash, erase boards, sweep floors clean the restroom. Took me two hours, and I started at 10:00 pm. finished at 2:00 a.m. I want to say It was like an astounding 12 bucks an hour back then, huge money. Anyway, here's my question. Lets say I'm a custodian at the Wharton Center. Lets say I did that same shift. Got done early, studied from Midnight till 2 a.m. or fell asleep on a couch somewhere. I never noticed that display, never thought about it. They're talking about "all staff being put through sensitivity training". Do I have to go through it? Not that it isn't good for everybody to do it now and then, but to be forced to do that would kind of piss me off. I'd do it, I'd benefit from it, but damn, why do I have to pay for some idiots mistake? Someone way above my pay grade made that decision, a decision I never heard of had imput with or thought of.

Just a guess, but wouldn’t all departments U-wise go through sensitivity training at the beginning of employment? Might be something they watch online or download and watch. Just from local stories around the Lansing area over the past couple of years, racial insensitivity and racist comments show up in all levels of a business/organization/whatever.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-02-04, 13:39

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

it's a good question - and it is a little odd that when it comes to this sort of thing that we hold student ushers to a higher standard than political leaders who promote white supremacy, racism and bigotry.

America is a weird place.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2020-02-04, 13:50

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

The same reason we all have to take our shoes off at the airport now. Idiots ruin things for everybody. This country has a lot of idiots.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down