Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wags was right. Coach D is retiring.

+16
Senior Dickfist
Cameron
CORNER BLITZ
Floyd Robertson
MiamiSpartan
aualum06
Watch Out Pylon!
kingstonlake
InTenSity
DWags
Rocinante
Other Teams Pursuing That
tGreenWay
NigelUno
Robert J Sakimano
WhiteBoyHatcher
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wags was right. Coach D is retiring.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Wags was right. Coach D is retiring.

Post by Cameron Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 16:06

Floyd Robertson wrote:
aualum06 wrote:This should have happened in early January immediately after the bowl game

We all know there are $4.3 million reasons it didn't. No grudge from me.

Not my money, but I'll be honest... Small grudge.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Wags was right. Coach D is retiring.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Wags was right. Coach D is retiring.

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 16:09

DWags wrote:Would a defensive coordinator from San Francisco be interested? Would that be why you wait till after the Super Bowl?

Who the fuck knows.
I'd rather take the OC from San Francisco. Give me some of that action from the NFC Champ game. 42 runs to 8 passes. Love that kind of domination....plus it would send steve into fits.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 16:17

MiamiSpartan wrote:
DWags wrote:Would a defensive coordinator from San Francisco be interested? Would that be why you wait till after the Super Bowl?

Who the fuck knows.
I'd rather take the OC from San Francisco. Give me some of that action from the NFC Champ game. 42 runs to 8 passes. Love that kind of domination....plus it would send steve into fits.

It wouldn't just be Steve!
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 16:26

Floyd Robertson wrote:
aualum06 wrote:This should have happened in early January immediately after the bowl game

Agreed. He earned that money.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 16:29

Give me the OC from the Chiefs.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 16:32

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

That's bullshit. A) We would have, I certainly hope and believe, given it to him anyway because he deserved it. B) If he put money over integrity like that, he would have left here for another job long ago, like all the nancies thought that he would.

Money over integrity? How so? He deserved the bonus.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 17:12

NigelUno wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
That's bullshit. A) We would have, I certainly hope and believe, given it to him anyway because he deserved it. B) If he put money over integrity like that, he would have left here for another job long ago, like all the nancies thought that he would.

Read my post and try again.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 17:14

MiamiSpartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I don't know what you mean by money over integrity. You can explain it or not.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 17:16

NigelUno wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

It’s all right there, bro. I think you interpreted it wrong.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 17:32

NigelUno wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

I don't know what you mean by money over integrity.  You can explain it or not.
First of all, to say in response to me that he deserved the bonus after I literally said the same thing, tells me that you're not very adept at reading.

But what the hell, at the risk of being Nigeled, please note where I had said "IF" he put money over integrity, that he would have left long ago.  He did not leave long ago, therefore he did not put money over integrity.  I was responding to someone suggesting that he didn't leave in early January because he was waiting to get the bonus.

Edit: Re-reading my post again, perhaps I should have said that if he were the type of person to put money over integrity. I see how you may have read it like I was saying "if he did that here", like speculating that he may have been doing it. But either way, I don't know how you could misunderstand what I meant in point a (that he deserved it).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 17:37

Yep he retires and still gets the bonus and MSU has a chance to hire someone before everyone has new jobs. You know the right way to do things
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 17:41

MiamiSpartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I don't know what you mean by money over integrity.  You can explain it or not.
First of all, to say in response to me that he deserved the bonus after I literally said the same thing, tells me that you're not very adept at reading.

But what the hell, at the risk of being Nigeled, please note where I had said "IF" he put money over integrity, that he would have left long ago.  He did not leave long ago, therefore he did not put money over integrity.  I was responding to someone suggesting that he didn't leave in early January because he was waiting to get the bonus.

Edit: Re-reading my post again, perhaps I should have said that if he were the type of person to put money over integrity. I see how you may have read it like I was saying "if he did that here", like speculating that he may have been doing it. But either way, I don't know how you could misunderstand what I meant in point a (that he deserved it).

I guess you're assuming he was offered a ton of money to leave. OK.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 17:56

NigelUno wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Officially offered? No, I don't think a school would offer someone money when that person has said that they were not interested and didn't even interview with them.

Could have been offered a ton of money to leave if he wanted to? Absolutely.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 17:57

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 18:09

kingstonlake wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Seems pretty clear to me. Don’t get sucked in.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 18:11

MiamiSpartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Officially offered? No, I don't think a school would offer someone money when that person has said that they were not interested and didn't even interview with them.

Welp, too late. May god have mercy on your soul.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 18:11

tGreenWay wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Don’t tell me what or who can suck me Wags was right. Coach D is retiring.  - Page 2 2809484752
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 18:13

kingstonlake wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Don’t tell me what or who can suck me Wags was right. Coach D is retiring.  - Page 2 2809484752

Like anyone would do that with you. Wags was right. Coach D is retiring.  - Page 2 502811600 Wags was right. Coach D is retiring.  - Page 2 1401550746 Wags was right. Coach D is retiring.  - Page 2 2809484752
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 18:13

Love me some hypothetical integrity.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 18:18

tGreenWay wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Welp, too late. May god have mercy on your soul.

Wags was right. Coach D is retiring.  - Page 2 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 18:24

Just getting caught up, so sorry already posted, here is a link to the live presser. Hondo currently showing off his new bod.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2020/02/04/watch-press-conference-held-after-michigan-state-football-coach-mark-dantonio-steps-down/
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 18:25

aualum06 wrote:Yep he retires and still gets the bonus and MSU has a chance to hire someone before everyone has new jobs. You know the right way to do things

What? Everyone already has new jobs. The firing/hiring season has already ended. Ideally, this should've happened a month ago.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 18:29

Heat Miser wrote:
aualum06 wrote:Yep he retires and still gets the bonus and MSU has a chance to hire someone before everyone has new jobs. You know the right way to do things

What? Everyone already has new jobs. The firing/hiring season has already ended. Ideally, this should've happened a month ago.

So, we can't get a new coach or assistants? That sucks.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 18:29

Heat Miser wrote:

That's what I mean should have happened early January
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 18:31

NigelUno wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

So, we can't get a new coach or assistants? That sucks.

Apparently all the coaches are gone
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 18:42

Nordic wrote:Just getting caught up, so sorry already posted, here is a link to the live presser. Hondo currently showing off his new bod.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2020/02/04/watch-press-conference-held-after-michigan-state-football-coach-mark-dantonio-steps-down/

Hondo must think he's the #1 correspondent with his seat next to the podium.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 18:52

Heat Miser wrote:

How can you say that? NFL season just ended. Nearly all D1 assistants have contracts that are renewed March 1 to March 31. There are a helluva lot of assistants and coordinators who leave after the Feb LOI day.

Any coach under contract to another school prior to today was going to have a pay a buyout anyway.

There are a lot of MSU fans who think the football job is a lot more attractive than its seen in the coaching community. Dantonio pretty much blew the Sleeping Giant storyline out of the water and its no long an overlooked destination or opponent in recruiting or on the field.

My hunch is this was an arrangement made at the highest levels including President Stanley.

Its possible that Mark Dantonio sat down with his family (remember Dantonio and his wife negotiated his contracts). They told him what they thought and it it was time to walk away from coaching. I remember Ron Mason's wife and daughters had the same conversation with him prior to him moving from coaching to the AD's office.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 18:56

Presser on BTN
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 19:00

Damn. Lots of stuttering. He worn out.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 19:04

Q: "Impact of the lawsuit on the decision?"
A: "Zero"

Q: "How does the timing impact hiring a new coach?"
A: "Are you kidding me? People will crawl to coach here."

Both answered in classic Dantonio tone and stare. No stuttering on those questions. Gonna miss him.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 19:07

What idiot reporter asked him if he thought he left the football program in better shape than it was when he came here? Moran
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 19:08

Nordic wrote:Q: "Impact of the lawsuit on the decision?"

Both answered in classic Dantonio tone and stare. No stuttering on those questions. Gonna miss him.

He's been very sad throughout the presser till that classic Dantonio delivery - cracked me up
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 19:10

:(
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 19:13

Nordic wrote:Q: "Impact of the lawsuit on the decision?"

No follow up questions after those answers. Then one sorry bastard tried to backdoor another Blackwell reference and got a very short answer with a laser look.

Pretty sure Blackwell's lawyer is burning up his cell minutes to spread more shit but with Dantonio's resignation is realizing his worst fear of having his client's civil suit go before a judge.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Tue 4 Feb 2020 - 23:37

^That was Dan Murphy, from ESPN. Glad the question was asked so Coach D could shut it down.

I haven't read all of the responses but here's a coupla cents from me.

Everything seemed really suspicious at first. The timing, the way it came out, etc. The more things are settling in and the more I heard from Coach D and Izzo, and some insiders on the Bunker, etc...I am starting to get it. I do not think there's anything sinister at play here. I do not think this was pre-ordained for a long period of time and some bullshit floating of allegations or something forced him into doing something.

1. The allegations are stupid. He brought Blackwell with him to a recruit's home in Detroit when he wasn't supposed to recruit off campus? Oh the horror!
2. He helped arrange for some player's relatives to get a job via Skandlaris family? Um, if true, not that I approve, but doesn't Harbs and every single coach in the SEC and Coach K and Pitino and everyone else on earth due this with bowel movement regularity and it goes ignored? I doubt it happened, but still. Blackwell's team is/was still trying to publicly shame him into a lucrative settlement. Good luck with that now motherfuckers!!

It sounds like Dantonio has had some lingering thoughts internally about when he would want to be done. It sounds like the more time he spent on recruiting, the more time he spent with kids, the more he felt like he was selling a false bill of goods because he had uncertainty around his own future. It sounds like he started to feel like he was not being forthcoming and he started to realize that there was no good time to do this, and the longer this went on, the more he realized that there was no ideal time to do this and it was just going to become worse. It sounds like his daughter announcing that she was pregnant and due during football season may have pushed him over the edge. It sounds like he had given enough of a heads up to the AD that they were already working on some things and suspected this might be coming. It sounds like he did this today because he didn't want to have kids signing tomorrow with his status being uncertain.

Also it sounds to me like Luke Fickell is in good shape to be the next coach. Maybe he decides to turn it down, but it sounds to me like there has been contact for some time about this possibility and numbers are being discussed.

It sounds to me like I should watch the 2013 BTCG Ohio State Game right now.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2