Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fireworks in Michigan - real problem or media sensationalism?

+21
MiamiSpartan
Motown Spartan
InTenSity
MSU addict
Other Teams Pursuing That
Robert J Sakimano
The Pantry
Cosmo_Kramer
kingstonlake
SPARTASOTAN
tGreenWay
GRR Spartan
Rodeo Burger
Minnie
Dendrobates
steveschneider
I.B. Fine
Izzo Court
Travis of the Cosmos
Giant Moose
WhiteBoyHatcher
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fireworks in Michigan - real problem or media sensationalism? Empty Fireworks in Michigan - real problem or media sensationalism?

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-07-14, 09:56

I was discussing this with some buddies a couple of weeks ago.

It sure seems to me like the local media has taken some sort of agenda against the "new" fireworks laws this year. To me, this year, if anything has been tamer than the past few years. I am not a fireworks guy but I don't really have any problem with the law. I don't find them to be a nuisance, they don't keep my kids up at night, my dog is not terrified of them (and even if she were it would be easy enough to put her in the basement and turn a fan on or something to block out most of the noise). My neighbors generally seem smart enough to not attempt to hold mortars as they light them, etc. I also don't know anyone personally who seems to have a real issue with it.

I know the one local weather guy lost his eye in Iowa, but it seemed to me that they were campaigning even before this. From Fat Caputo using every segment of his shows to talking and complaining about it, to articles in the paper, to other shows talking about it, stories being run on local news, etc. There's another article in the freep today.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140714/NEWS/307140038/fireworks-Fouts-Warren-Livonia-Royal-Oak

So my question is this a real problem? Is the media acting as the voice of the people here, or do they seem agenda driven? Not a conspiracy guy but they seem weirdly agenda driven this time around.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Fireworks in Michigan - real problem or media sensationalism? Empty Re: Fireworks in Michigan - real problem or media sensationalism?

Post by Giant Moose 2014-07-14, 10:15

When your state's biggest fireworks display takes place on a random day in June, they should probably just ban all fireworks in the state of Michigan.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Fireworks in Michigan - real problem or media sensationalism? Empty Re: Fireworks in Michigan - real problem or media sensationalism?

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2014-07-14, 10:18

My biggest problem with fireworks in Michigan is that every single municipality has to have their own show... meanwhile as i drive through those cities my tires are eaten up by potholes. Is it really necessary (just as an example) for the city of Clawson and the city of Troy to have their own individual firework shows? Maybe consolidate those and stop literally lighting money on fire.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court 2014-07-14, 10:23

They're only a problem in areas where most of the people don't have to work the next morning.
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-07-14, 10:24

I hear you, but Troy doesn't have their own fireworks show. Unless you want to count Family Days in September. Also, our roads are being repaired, which is nice.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2014-07-14, 10:26

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I hear you, but Troy doesn't have their own fireworks show. Unless you want to count Family Days in September. Also, our roads are being repaired, which is nice. 
Well, shit. I just randomly picked two cities close to each other.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-07-14, 10:28

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Well, shit. I just randomly picked two cities close to each other.

Figured.  Fireworks in Michigan - real problem or media sensationalism? 502811600 

Your point is well taken though.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2014-07-14, 11:11

Izzo Court wrote:They're only a problem in areas where most of the people don't have to work the next morning.

...and with stupid people, especially the ones that don't have to get up for work, they just shouldn't be allowed to play with any kind of fire.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-07-14, 11:21

I hate fire works. ER rooms every fourth of July week is loaded with people injured by these things. Not only that I've read of stories injured by others setting them off. Launching a rocket that explodes with fire by a drunken idiot in a highly populated area just isn't a good idea.

It is also the number week where pets go missing. Michigan did its citizens a huge disservice by legalizing fireworks.

Last edited by steveschneider on 2014-07-14, 11:23; edited 1 time in total
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2014-07-14, 11:22

I had thought about this myself. The media is trying hard to mAke a big deal out of the new law, but every year people do stupid things. You can't fix stupid. The only issue I see is a curfew for lighting them off. I don't know,if cities have them in place, but it makes sense. Fireworks are fun, and most of the population can light them off without doing something stupid. The media just wants to hear themselves talk.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2014-07-14, 11:27

Where is Bob? This thread is dying for his commentary.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Minnie 2014-07-14, 11:28

I feel very strongly about the need to educate the public about how the sound of fireworks affects our military vets suffering from PTSD.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/4th-july-fireworks-nightmare-shell-shocked-war-veterans/story?id=19554318
Minnie
Minnie
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-07-14, 11:50

I was indifferent when they passed the law, because when I was younger I used to buy bottle rockets and M80s (illegally). But it should only be legal on the 4th of July and New Years Eve. I had some moron in my neighborhood lighting bottle rockets on Christmas Eve last year, and continued to do so well after midnight.

Also, last year on the 4th, we were in a heat wave and it was very dry. I had a large flying firework land on my roof and burn a shingle, it melted a spot about the size of a dinner plate before it went out. I didn't realize this until at least the next day, so I'm just glad it didn't start a fire.

I'm not a fan of the new law, since people don't have the common sense to light the fireworks in areas where they can safely go up and come down without landing on someone else's house.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2014-07-15, 00:31

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I was discussing this with some buddies a couple of weeks ago.

It sure seems to me like the local media has taken some sort of agenda against the "new" fireworks laws this year. To me, this year, if anything has been tamer than the past few years. I am not a fireworks guy but I don't really have any problem with the law. I don't find them to be a nuisance, they don't keep my kids up at night, my dog is not terrified of them (and even if she were it would be easy enough to put her in the basement and turn a fan on or something to block out most of the noise). My neighbors generally seem smart enough to not attempt to hold mortars as they light them, etc. I also don't know anyone personally who seems to have a real issue with it.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140714/NEWS/307140038/fireworks-Fouts-Warren-Livonia-Royal-Oak

So my question is this a real problem? Is the media acting as the voice of the people here, or do they seem agenda driven? Not a conspiracy guy but they seem weirdly agenda driven this time around.

I had a conversation with a friend who is with the Kentwood police. It was just before the July 4 weekend. He dreads it for many of the reasons mentioned in the article. Then he brought up the fire at St. Mary Magdelin Church which is suspected to have started from fireworks. Burned to the ground, it cost about $3M to rebuild. His point was it was a foolish revenue grab for a potential $12M in tax revenue when just one incident like this cost well over that when you took into consideration all the fire fighting and subsequent investigation costs.

We will continue to have dumb, untrained people maim or kill themselves but we are also wasting a lot of resources for a meager tax benefit.

[url=http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2012/07/priest_says_saint_mary_magdale.html
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2014-07-15, 00:35

Anyone caught blasting fireworks outside of the parameters of local ordinances should have to hold tight to a lit M-80.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTASOTAN 2014-07-15, 00:54

It's not fun if it's legal
SPARTASOTAN
SPARTASOTAN
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-07-15, 03:18

Mandatory displays by everyone once a year. Weed out the Moran's.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer 2014-07-15, 11:33

http://www.candgnews.com/news/fireworks-statute-still-draws-ire-clinton-twp

"Ordinance No. 405 was introduced on the Aug. 12 agenda and was the township’s own way of configuring the state’s law into in its own hands, at least as much as possible.

Michigan Fireworks Safety Act was signed into law by Gov. Rick Snyder in 2011, most notably as a means for revenue enhancement."

$$$$$$$$$$$
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-07-15, 23:37

Cosmo_Kramer wrote:http://www.candgnews.com/news/fireworks-statute-still-draws-ire-clinton-twp

"Ordinance No. 405 was introduced on the Aug. 12 agenda and was the township’s own way of configuring the state’s law into in its own hands, at least as much as possible.

Michigan Fireworks Safety Act was signed into law by Gov. Rick Snyder in 2011, most notably as a means for revenue enhancement."

$$$$$$$$$$$
Been living in Troy over 20 years. Have not noticed any appreciable difference in the amount of previously illegal fireworks use than before the law changed.

People that wanted to set off their own displays would do it despite taking a trip to Indiana or other states to get the stuff. Now, the money is spent in state and sales are charged a regular 6% sales tax plus a 6% fireworks tax used to fund training for municple fire fighters
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-07-15, 23:42

The Pantry wrote:
Been living in Troy over 20 years.  Have not noticed any appreciable difference in the amount of previously illegal fireworks use than before the law changed.  

People that wanted to set off their own displays would do it despite taking a trip to Indiana or other states to get the stuff.  Now, the money is spent in state and sales are charged a regular 6% sales tax plus a 6% fireworks tax used to fund training for municple fire fighters

Really? We have been in this house for about 10 years and I distinctly have noticed a difference since the law has been passed. For the past 3 years it has sounded like Fallujah around here from about 9 pm to 12 AM on the 4th. No problem with it but it's kinda hilarious.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-07-16, 00:10

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Really? We have been in this house for about 10 years and I distinctly have noticed a difference since the law has been passed. For the past 3 years it has sounded like Fallujah around here from about 9 pm to 12 AM on the 4th. No problem with it but it's kinda hilarious.
Lived in Emerald Lakes for 17 years when the good stuff was illegal. Displays set off by homeowners on the lakes were pretty awesome. It was almost like the homeowners association encouraged it as a community get together. Cops drove through the neighborhood just to watch.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-07-16, 10:15

State Sen. Glenn Anderson says the 2011 law was a “monumental mistake” and he heard countless complaints after the July 4th holiday. The Westland Democrat’s bill would reinstate Michigan’s ban on commercial-grade fireworks.

Bill to reinstate the ban
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-07-16, 10:17

Giant Moose wrote:Where is Bob? This thread is dying for his commentary.
sorry, dude..

I was busy picking up some fireworks and trying to get the mustard stains out of my wifebeater..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-01, 00:15

I don’t think it’s really necessary to be lighting fireworks off at midnight for the new year in a neighborhood with terrified dogs and 4 week old babies nearby but what do I know
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2023-01-01, 00:31

I enjoyed the fireworks by the city at 9pm here they are doing more at midnight. They seemed a bit more unique than 4th of July ones. But i also live downtown sorry Trav
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-01, 00:33

Yeah it’s fine I mean it’s legal to do what they’re doing where we live I just find it to be kinda stupid and dick ish. The neighborhood is mostly kids and dogs. Adults are easily outnumbered. And we’re surrounded by rural shit in every direction. Pick a road, drive until there are no more houses, and do it there if you must.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-01-01, 00:35

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I don’t think it’s really necessary to be lighting fireworks off at midnight for the new year in a neighborhood with terrified dogs and 4 week old babies nearby but what do I know

It’s the only time I’m grateful my dog has lost most of her hearing.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2023-01-01, 09:03

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Yeah it’s fine I mean it’s legal to do what they’re doing where we live I just find it to be kinda stupid and dick ish. The neighborhood is mostly kids and dogs. Adults are easily outnumbered. And we’re surrounded by rural shit in every direction. Pick a road, drive until there are no more houses, and do it there if you must.
In Michigan it is only legal to shoot fireworks from your own personal property or the personal property of another individual where you have their express permission.

You cannot shoot off fireworks from public property (including streets and sidewalks), schools or churches.

FWIW, I am not a fan of fireworks.

MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2023-01-01, 09:12

Don't come to Miami Travis. The fireworks went for about 45-60 minutes here. I saw thousands of dollars explode.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-01-01, 09:21

My old dogs hated it. My new dog is a gun dog, even though I don’t hunt, and it doesn’t bother her in the least. The microwave beeping though…another story.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2023-01-01, 09:31

InTenSity wrote:Don't come to Miami Travis. The fireworks went for about 45-60 minutes here. I saw thousands of dollars explode.
And that doesn't even account those that like to shoot their guns into the air to celebrate!
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-01, 09:38

MSU addict wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Yeah it’s fine I mean it’s legal to do what they’re doing where we live I just find it to be kinda stupid and dick ish. The neighborhood is mostly kids and dogs. Adults are easily outnumbered. And we’re surrounded by rural shit in every direction. Pick a road, drive until there are no more houses, and do it there if you must.
In Michigan it is only legal to shoot fireworks from your own personal property or the personal property of another individual where you have their express permission.

You cannot shoot off fireworks from public property (including streets and sidewalks), schools or churches.

Is anyone really going to be patrolling middle of nowhere fields looking for illegal firework use? It’s only illegal if someone cares enough to enforce it
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2023-01-01, 11:57

MSU addict wrote:

Is anyone really going to be patrolling middle of nowhere fields looking for illegal firework use? It’s only illegal if someone cares enough to enforce it

So you want people to be so considerate of others that they choose to break the law?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-01, 12:02

MiamiSpartan wrote:

So you want people to be so considerate of others that they choose to break the law?  

Sure. Or just don’t do it at all I guess. Really I just think fireworks are stupid and home displays are never ever worth the money or risk or annoyance level it causes.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-01, 12:03

Fireworks in Michigan - real problem or media sensationalism? 200.gif?cid=ddb306a5gxwmxrzvql2jpbgc5n1dxfc1b3e7ix8mrrrv5bg4&rid=200m

There I just out did 10 home fireworks displays combined, it was free, and I kept most of my fingers
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-01-01, 12:39

Look at Travis McFunpolice
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-01, 12:44

kingstonlake wrote:Look at Travis McFunpolice

Meh, fireworks are dumb as shit. If they had no adverse effects on anyone else, like say a gun range, then fine. But they do, so being dumb as shit and annoying for everyone else makes fireworks a big old no from me dawg
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2023-01-01, 13:05

MiamiSpartan wrote:

Sure. Or just don’t do it at all I guess. Really I just think fireworks are stupid and home displays are never ever worth the money or risk or annoyance level it causes.

I agree with that part. I'm not a fan. I was just saying that I don't think someone that is that considerate of their neighbors probably aren't the ones that are going to illegally fire them off on public land.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-01-01, 21:48

kingstonlake wrote:Look at Travis McFunpolice

Meh, fireworks are dumb as shit. If they had no adverse effects on anyone else, like say a gun range, then fine. But they do, so being dumb as shit and annoying for everyone else makes fireworks a big old no from me dawg

One year I found the skeletal remains of three ‘sploded bottle rockets on my effing roof. My head damn near ‘sploded. That’s just a house fire waiting to happen.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-07-03, 23:41

Still hate em. I think we’ve wrapped on day 3 of 4 or 5 of terrifying my dogs and waking my kids up. Thankfully (I mean sort of) one dog had surgery to remove a tumor from his thyroid about 10 days ago and they gave us some doggie anti anxiety meds with that. He didn’t really need them once he got home, so we saved enough for them to take these nights. I do not like having to drug the dogs for a week straight though.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next