Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wealth gap in the U.S.

+4
The_Dude
Turtleneck
xsanguine
Cosmo_Kramer
8 posters

Go down

Wealth gap in the U.S. Empty Wealth gap in the U.S.

Post by Cosmo_Kramer Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:50 pm

Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Wealth gap in the U.S. Empty Re: Wealth gap in the U.S.

Post by xsanguine Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:11 pm

Yep... it only affects a small amount of people. Which is probably why it's on the news... have to hand it to our corporately run government, using corporately run media to get the masses to focus on the bullshit so that our corporately run country can perpetually be corporately run.

Oliver should stop playing the obvious government/corporate puppet and rout the real problems. Oh wait, he wouldn't have his cushy, high paying corporate job if he actually did his job.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:11 pm

I prefer to refer to it as the laziness barometer. The greater the inequality, the greater the indictment of this country's work ethic. However, if you're interested in this topic, check out some of the work from Robert Reich (if you have not already). His documentary Inequality for All is on Netflix.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:15 pm

Robert Reich is a douche
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:40 am

^ you say that because you're a GOP lover
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:29 pm

Cosmo_Kramer wrote:^ you say that because you're a GOP lover

No, it's because he is a big government honk that believes wealth re-distribution will solve the country's ills. It's simply wrong and proven wrong time and time again yet he still spews it.

I will admit I read his book supercapitalism and it was a very good read. But almost every big gov't honk is a douche, so..
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:58 pm

the wealth gap and income disparity will play a strong role in this country's demise.. it already is.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:03 pm

I blame people like Bob who have like 20 bikes they don't use but won't give one of them to a poor student.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:13 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:the wealth gap and income disparity will play a strong role in this country's demise.. it already is.

Not saying it isn't/won't.

But what exactly does that mean if you try to dissect it? That eventually the gap will widen so much we will have a full blown social revolution? We will look like Russia does today in 50 years?

The best way to get the lower class out of their rut is free markets. I never understood how getting people dependent upon the government for their livelihood makes them move up the social ladder. Once you get on these programs you never get off. Re distributing a little money via 'tax' credits doesn't help. It gives them a little extra money in their pocket for a short time but does nothing to address the root of the problem which is why can't we create jobs for the lower middle/middle class?

As we all know, small business drives most of the hiring and creation of new jobs. Here is a good article from early June on why small businesses aren't hiring. http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/06/01/small-business-hiring/9680367/
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:19 pm

Giant Moose wrote:I blame people like Bob who have like 20 bikes they don't use but won't give one of them to a poor student.

hey - I worked hard to afford my bikes and I think a bunch of freeloaders should do the same. Why should I care about them? It's what god would want me to do..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:20 pm

The_Dude wrote:

Not saying it isn't/won't.

But what exactly does that mean if you try to dissect it?  That eventually the gap will widen so much we will have a full blown social revolution?  We will look like Russia does today in 50 years?

The best way to get the lower class out of their rut is free markets.  I never understood how getting people dependent upon the government for their livelihood makes them move up the social ladder.  Once you get on these programs you never get off.  Re distributing a little money via 'tax' credits doesn't help.  It gives them a little extra money in their pocket for a short time but does nothing to address the root of the problem which is why can't we create jobs for the lower middle/middle class?

As we all know, small business drives most of the hiring and creation of new jobs.  Here is a good article from early June on why small businesses aren't hiring.  http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/06/01/small-business-hiring/9680367/
200+ years of the free market isn't working so well, is it?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:00 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Bob, a free market has never existed..
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:01 pm

xsanguine wrote:

He meant "free market".
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:21 pm

Rocinante wrote:

He meant "free market".

I've never taken Bob as an advocate for a free market... so I think he is just confused between a regulated market, mixed economy, what we have always had and currently have... and a free market, something that has never existed.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:53 am

xsanguine wrote:

and that's why we still have dirty poor people that I have to step over on my way to church..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:13 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
and that's why we still have dirty poor people that I have to step over on my way to church..

If only you would let them eat cake.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:17 am

Giant Moose wrote:
If only you would let them eat cake.
if they got a job, they could afford cake.. god doesn't like people who don't work.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:20 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
if they got a job, they could afford cake.. god doesn't like people who don't work.
God is a wuss. Taking the 7th day off? Weak.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:37 am

Giant Moose wrote:
God is a wuss. Taking the 7th day off? Weak.

The 7th day is when he combined pretzels and peanut butter.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:42 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

That's because we don't have free markets where businesses can expand and grow. Over regulation and highest corporate taxes in the world (among other things) have made it really hard to do business in America. The rich don't care--they have and made their money. When businesses don't grow and expand, the middle class gets left behind. Having to gon on disability or public assistance only makes it even worse.

We have to get back to what made us a great country--individual liberty and limited government. The private sector has been shit for a while now and Obama and his ill conceived policies have only made it worse. The proof is in the pudding--look at stagnant wages, lack of hiring, lack of good jobs in general being created. There are reasons why business aren't expanding right now and the top of the list is uncertainty and hostility in the business marketplace.

The answer is not to increase the size of government and attack the rich. Do you truly think giving someone an extra couple thousand a year in wealth redistribution is enough to bump them up a social class? What we need is to let business grow so good jobs are created. I never understood the whole liberal schtick of attacking businesses and corporations that provide the good paying jobs to hard working Americans.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:45 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

You leave God out of this...or I just may have to exercise my second amendment right.. Wealth gap in the U.S. 3669899363 
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:46 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Wealth gap in the U.S. Shooter
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:42 pm

The_Dude wrote:

That's because we don't have free markets where businesses can expand and grow.  Over regulation and highest corporate taxes in the world (among other things) have made it really hard to do business in America.  The rich don't care--they have and made their money.  When businesses don't grow and expand, the middle class gets left behind.  Having to gon on disability or public assistance only makes it even worse.

We have to get back to what made us a great country--individual liberty and limited government.  The private sector has been shit for a while now and Obama and his ill conceived policies have only made it worse.  The proof is in the pudding--look at stagnant wages, lack of hiring, lack of good jobs in general being created.  There are reasons why business aren't expanding right now and the top of the list is uncertainty and hostility in the business marketplace.

The answer is not to increase the size of government and attack the rich.  Do you truly think giving someone an extra couple thousand a year in wealth redistribution is enough to bump them up a social class?  What we need is to let business grow so good jobs are created.  I never understood the whole liberal schtick of attacking businesses and corporations that provide the good paying jobs to hard working Americans.
the real problem is people who value material possessions over the welfare, health and happiness of our friends and neighbors..

now let me go pack my SUV for my golf trip "up north"..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:43 pm

The_Dude wrote:

You leave God out of this...or I just may have to exercise my second amendment right.. Wealth gap in the U.S. 3669899363 
it is always fun to point out that the biggest advocates of shooting people always are the jesus freaks..  Wink 
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Hut1hut2 Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:55 pm

The_Dude wrote:Robert Reich is a douche

He hates capitalism.
Hut1hut2
Hut1hut2
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Hut1hut2 Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:56 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:it is always fun to point out that the biggest advocates of shooting people always are the jesus freaks..  Wink 

Like Hamas
Hut1hut2
Hut1hut2
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:20 pm

Hut1hut2 wrote:

Like Hamas
An Islamic resistance organization is full of jesus freaks?

you just made Fox News sad.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Hut1hut2 Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:43 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:An Islamic resistance organization is full of jesus freaks?

you just made Fox News sad.

No, a bunch of Muslim violence freaks that far and away does more harm than Jesus freaks.

Hut1hut2
Hut1hut2
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down