Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newly Found Letters Show How Texas Longhorns Delayed Integration

4 posters

Go down

Newly Found Letters Show How Texas Longhorns Delayed Integration Empty Newly Found Letters Show How Texas Longhorns Delayed Integration

Post by Turtleneck 2020-03-09, 18:40

Interesting interview.

https://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2020/03/06/texas-football-segregation-marion-ford

KG: So as you mentioned, the Supreme Court ruled in the spring of 1954, and that ruling required educational institutions to integrate their classrooms. Tell me about Marion Ford. Who was he, and why did he want to go to UT?

AP: Marion Ford is a charismatic black kid from Houston. He's 17 years old in 1954. He's a top-notch swimmer. He writes for the newspaper. He's in the Chemistry Honors Society. He goes to an all-black high school in Houston. He also plays football.

KG: The very first time that Marion Ford applied, he wasn't immediately accepted into the university. So, at first, he said he wanted to be a chemistry major, right?

AP: That's right. Marion Ford wants to be a chemistry major at the University of Texas. And the dean of admissions writes him back, saying, "You can take chemistry and the introductory courses at an all-black school in Houston." And Marion Ford writes him back, saying — I think he says, "I want to be, actually, a chemistry engineering major. And there's no such course available at this school in Houston."
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Newly Found Letters Show How Texas Longhorns Delayed Integration Empty Re: Newly Found Letters Show How Texas Longhorns Delayed Integration

Post by Rocinante 2020-03-09, 19:28

Texans are racists. In other news, Bob can’t keep his politics off the main board. More at 11.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Newly Found Letters Show How Texas Longhorns Delayed Integration Empty Re: Newly Found Letters Show How Texas Longhorns Delayed Integration

Post by Turtleneck 2020-03-09, 20:34

Rocinante wrote:Texans are racists. In other news, Bob can’t keep his politics off the main board. More at 11.

I think I will generalize about all the people who live in Wyoming based on Liz and Dick Cheney.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-03-09, 23:25

Turtleneck wrote:
Rocinante wrote:Texans are racists. In other news, Bob can’t keep his politics off the main board. More at 11.

I think I will generalize about all the people who live in Wyoming based on Liz and Dick Cheney.

Like you don’t already? Also, you wouldn’t be wrong.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-03-10, 02:11

Newly Found Letters Show How Texas Longhorns Delayed Integration 502811600
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-03-10, 02:55

The only thing wrong with Texas is Texans.©
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down