Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coronavirus?? We gone?

+30
Robert J Sakimano
Tim Wakefield
Jake from State Farm
Turtleneck
AvgMSUJoe
Wally Fairway
Travis of the Cosmos
NigelUno
tGreenWay
Dendrobates
Cameron
duffy munn
Heat Miser
MSU addict
InTenSity
DWags
CORNER BLITZ
Rocinante
GRR Spartan
MiamiSpartan
kingstonlake
Watch Out Pylon!
Floyd Robertson
pulling69
Nordic
steveschneider
Other Teams Pursuing That
aualum06
WhiteBoyHatcher
The Pantry
34 posters

Page 7 of 25 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16 ... 25  Next

Go down

Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 7 Empty Re: Coronavirus?? We gone?

Post by The Pantry 2020-03-17, 23:30

InTenSity wrote:
The Pantry wrote:
Please, stop.
Fuck that. I was told now isn't the time to criticize after 9/11 and as Iraq was starting. Republicans absolutely deserve to be blamed for this mess. Disbanding or tearing apart the department for epidemics is disgusting.
You're tilting heavily. This part of the board is not meant for that. Please express your anger in tBin.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2020-03-17, 23:57

I'm not the one being gaslit, here.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-03-18, 00:04

MiamiSpartan wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

Florida cancelled state testing

They also said that it will probably be at least April 15 before kids go back.

My daughter's first day of online schooling went well. They take attendance via webcam, kids have to be in their virtual classrooms at their usual times. Took a test today. Mostly all on Zoom, though her math teacher did lessons via YouTube Live stream. Apparently, they'll even be doing PE.

God damn I wish we were doing this. My daughter went stir crazy on day fucking one. I had to sit her down and tell her what was going on in Italy. I don’t like scaring her but I feel like she’s just revving up for a fucking explosion.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-03-18, 00:06

InTenSity wrote:I'm not the one being gaslit, here.
Again, please confine your finger pointing to the Bin.  It doesn't belong here no matter how relevant you think it is.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-03-18, 00:18

It's gonna be ok guys.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-03-18, 05:37

A little corona humor

[tw]1239716925653090305[/tw]

https://twitter.com/Getthebagcoach/status/1239716925653090305
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-03-18, 06:04

Rocinante wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

They also said that it will probably be at least April 15 before kids go back.

My daughter's first day of online schooling went well.  They take attendance via webcam, kids have to be in their virtual classrooms at their usual times.  Took a test today.  Mostly all on Zoom, though her math teacher did lessons via YouTube Live stream.  Apparently, they'll even be doing PE.

God damn I wish we were doing this.  My daughter went stir crazy on day fucking one.  I had to sit her down and tell her what was going on in Italy.  I don’t like scaring her but I feel like she’s just revving up for a fucking explosion.

They/we all are. We don't have online learning either and my kids take after me. I'm either on or off. Very little middle ground. I set a schedule for the rest of the week (choirs, exercise, some reading, play with dogs, etc.). We'll see how it goes
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2020-03-18, 06:58

steveschneider wrote:Is anyone else worried that society might collapse because of this? Food shortages, unemployment, restless masses, crashing stock market and people
Fed up with being told what to do. Seems like a recipe for revolt if you ask me.

This is been my main anxiety about all of this.
My best friend lost her job to this. And the business has no idea if they will be able to open up after this passes.

My job is good for now. But for how long? I would think most would be in that boat. Especially with some saying this could last for 18 months.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2020-03-18, 08:04

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:It's gonna be ok guys.

Define ok
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-03-18, 08:57

Yeah this sucks ass. If we have to much beyond two weeks I'm gonna go full "All work and no play makes Pylon a dull boy".
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-03-18, 09:11

Nordic wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

God damn I wish we were doing this.  My daughter went stir crazy on day fucking one.  I had to sit her down and tell her what was going on in Italy.  I don’t like scaring her but I feel like she’s just revving up for a fucking explosion.

They/we all are. We don't have online learning either and my kids take after me. I'm either on or off. Very little middle ground. I set a schedule for the rest of the week (choirs, exercise, some reading, play with dogs, etc.). We'll see how it goes

Teach the von Nordic family this one:

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-03-18, 09:19

[tw]1240131226268323842?s=20[/tw]

Do what you want with this, but one of the reasons we fell so far behind is because a major cable network that reaches over one million people per day refused to accept the danger of this virus. They told its viewers there was nothing to see here. This type of malpractice put the whole country at risk.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-03-18, 09:39

[tw]1240234523813707776?s=20[/tw]
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-03-18, 10:06

I'm no economist, so feel free to tell me how wrong I am, but as just a regular guy, I'm thinking fuck the national debt, fuck the deficit. If they go up, whatever. This is bigger than that.

We need to go on something similar to a war-footing domestically. If we were to have a major conventional war that lasted years (WWII-style, not even like Korea or Vietnam), we'd have to build a shit ton more tanks, planes, trucks, guns, etc., whether the government had that in it's budget or not. Same thing here, spend whatever it takes to a) slow/stop this virus and b) keep people and businesses on their feet. Maybe sell "Virus Bonds" or something, if that will make a dent. But either way, spend what it takes.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-03-18, 10:10

MiamiSpartan wrote: But either way, spend what it takes.

I don't think they have another legitimate option, and many states will need to be bailed out as well.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2020-03-18, 10:12

MiamiSpartan wrote:I'm no economist, so feel free to tell me how wrong I am, but as just a regular guy, I'm thinking fuck the national debt, fuck the deficit. If they go up, whatever. This is bigger than that.

We need to go on something similar to a war-footing domestically. If we were to have a major conventional war that lasted years (WWII-style, not even like Korea or Vietnam), we'd have to build a shit ton more tanks, planes, trucks, guns, etc., whether the government had that in it's budget or not. Same thing here, spend whatever it takes to a) slow/stop this virus and b) keep people and businesses on their feet. Maybe sell "Virus Bonds" or something, if that will make a dent. But either way, spend what it takes.

You can't spend your way out of this. The govt. should be (and should have been) spending piles of cash on tests and other medical needs. The govt. shouldn't have wasted a month poo-pooing this as a nothing burger. It's actually a giant shit sandwich & we're all going to take a bite now.

Giving everyone in the country $1k doesn't really do anything since you can't go out & piss it away at the restaurant/bar. I suspect most peeps would either save it or spend it on rent & utilities.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-03-18, 10:33

Will this break insurance companies?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-03-18, 10:45

Dendrobates wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Is anyone else worried that society might collapse because of this? Food shortages, unemployment, restless masses, crashing stock market and people
Fed up with being told what to do. Seems like a recipe for revolt if you ask me.

My best friend lost her job to this. And the business has no idea if they will be able to open up after this passes.

My job is good for now. But for how long? I would think most would be in that boat. Especially with some saying this could last for 18 months.

I've heard at least two stories of 'everyone getting laid off'. Got a text from my friend that at his last job they let everyone go. My wife got a text from her friend where she told her that yesterday she had to let everyone go. Also, every shop in our town is closed. Add onto it that the experts say regarding the spread of this disease 'this is just the beginning' and they are projecting it will go on for at least a year to eighteen months.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-03-18, 10:48

MiamiSpartan wrote:I'm no economist, so feel free to tell me how wrong I am, but as just a regular guy, I'm thinking fuck the national debt, fuck the deficit. If they go up, whatever. This is bigger than that.

Yeah, I'm no economist either but seems like government creation of war time manufacturing in jobs might be a good idea. We are going to need some temporary hospitals built fast, we need masks, we need respirators...these might be a good places to start.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-03-18, 11:03

Heat Miser wrote:
Giving everyone in the country $1k doesn't really do anything since you can't go out & piss it away at the restaurant/bar. I suspect most peeps would either save it or spend it on rent & utilities.

That may pay rent/groceries for a low income person or something... So it would help many.
Its really a waste for the rest of us.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2020-03-18, 11:10

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

That may pay rent/groceries for a low income person or something... So it would help many.
Its really a waste for the rest of us.

Sure, but that's what unemployment is for. Streamline that process. Remove the idiotic eligibility requirements that have been put in place in recent years. Raise the amount. Remove the waiting period.

There's an entire infrastructure already in place to deal with unemployment.

Sending out checks is dumb. What do you do a month from now? Send out more checks? Two months from now? 6 months? How do you decide when to stop? Some folks will feel this pain longer than others.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-03-18, 11:10

Gotta say I was pretty busy at my job up until today. It's come to a grinding halt. Nervous!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2020-03-18, 11:23

School doesn't stop. I'm nearly as busy doing this e-learning stuff as when school is in session. Same amount of kids asking questions but now they're not in the same place for me to answer all at once.
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-03-18, 11:32

steveschneider wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:

I've heard at least two stories of 'everyone getting laid off'. Got a text from my friend that at his last job they let everyone go. My wife got a text from her friend where she told her that yesterday she had to let everyone go. Also, every shop in our town is closed. Add onto it that the experts say regarding the spread of this disease 'this is just the beginning' and they are projecting it will go on for at least a year to eighteen months.

Went to grab a sandwich last night at 6:00 and the place was dead. My early take is there's no way restaurants will survive on take out only. Maybe in a dense urban environment.

College towns will get hammered. All the students are gone.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-03-18, 11:41

steveschneider wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:

The world ain't going to a halt for 18 months. I give it till the end of April max. We'll figure it out.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-03-18, 11:46

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Went to grab a sandwich last night at 6:00 and the place was dead. My early take is there's no way restaurants will survive on take out only. Maybe in a dense urban environment.

I’m trying to go to my favorite local non chain places more than normal to maybe hopefully give them a chance and I hope other people do the same. (Which, on day 3, means once instead of zero) We’ll have to see I guess
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-03-18, 11:46

with the grotesque absence of leadership at the federal level, when all of this is (hopefully) behind us, we're going to sit back and admire the leadership of the state/local government (speaking of DeWine in Ohio, Whitmer, Inslee in Washington state, Cuomo has been very impressive), school districts (East Lansing Public Schools have been on the forefront of engaging with the community, providing meals to local people - not just students in need), and entities that cancelled events such as basketball tournaments, SXSW, Coachella, etc.

They saved lives.. and were on the forefront of 'flattening the curve'.

I've stayed in since last Wednesday. Haven't hardly ventured out in public (except to run in the mornings, etc) - did some serious yard work, too - so, consider that a good way to beat the monotony of social distancing. Transplanted daylillies, hostas, cut down ornamental grasses that I like to leave up through the winter.. basically a lot of spring clean up.

Nigel is right in that local restaurants are trying to hang in with 'take out' but that is going to be brutal. I've been in touch with some of my restaurant/bar pals (owners) and it's going to be tough for a while.

DWags, I know you take no pride in this thread, but you started what will likely go down as the most important thread in the history of the Swill.

y'all take care. Reach out to folks (text, phone, etc) - means a lot when someone randomly checks in on your sanity.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-03-18, 11:49

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I’m trying to go to my favorite local non chain places more than normal to maybe hopefully give them a chance and I hope other people do the same. (Which, on day 3, means once instead of zero) We’ll have to see I guess

This advice should apply at all times.

Break the chains.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-03-18, 11:50

tbh I'd rather have the bulk of that money go towards building some type of infrastructure/readiness for the next thing. Not to go all fox news/flu on covid, but shit - imagine if this was like ebola or something that spreads this quickly really fucks literally everyone up. We (as in the entire world but also the US) weren't ready for this and so obviously aren't ready for something that could be far worse.
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-03-18, 11:51

Floyd Robertson wrote:

Break the chains.

I mean that also holds true for washing your hands/covering a cough or sneeze....but apparently not so
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-03-18, 11:55

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Break the chains.

I mean that also holds true for washing your hands/covering a cough or sneeze....but apparently not so

True
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-03-18, 11:55

Floyd Robertson wrote:

Break the chains.

I usually cook, generally not chains either. But I’m oddly enough trying to cook less to support the little guys that I still want to have around. Oh and also tip extra for carry out now too.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-03-18, 12:10

Robert J Sakimano wrote:with the grotesque absence of leadership at the federal level, when all of this is (hopefully) behind us, we're going to sit back and admire the leadership of the state/local government (speaking of DeWine in Ohio, Whitmer, Inslee in Washington state, Cuomo has been very impressive), school districts (East Lansing Public Schools have been on the forefront of engaging with the community, providing meals to local people - not just students in need), and entities that cancelled events such as basketball tournaments, SXSW, Coachella, etc.

I've stayed in since last Wednesday. Haven't hardly ventured out in public (except to run in the mornings, etc) - did some serious yard work, too - so, consider that a good way to beat the monotony of social distancing. Transplanted daylillies, hostas, cut down ornamental grasses that I like to leave up through the winter.. basically a lot of spring clean up.

Nigel is right in that local restaurants are trying to hang in with 'take out' but that is going to be brutal. I've been in touch with some of my restaurant/bar pals (owners) and it's going to be tough for a while.

DWags, I know you take no pride in this thread, but you started what will likely go down as the most important thread in the history of the Swill.

y'all take care. Reach out to folks (text, phone, etc) - means a lot when someone randomly checks in on your sanity.

If your done with your yard work, my place is a shit show. I can keep ya busy for a while.

Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 7 4113017228 empowering the states is kinda how our gov't is setup to run
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-03-18, 12:18

Alabama loosening liquor laws to help bars/restaurants by letting them offer to-go alcohol

https://abc3340.com/news/local/alabama-abc-board-authorizes-to-go-alcohol-from-bars-restaurants-during-pandemic
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2020-03-18, 12:22

Turtleneck wrote:[tw]1240131226268323842?s=20[/tw]

Do what you want with this, but one of the reasons we fell so far behind is because a major cable network that reaches over one million people per day refused to accept the danger of this virus. They told its viewers there was nothing to see here. This type of malpractice put the whole country at risk.

So a network that reaches less than 0.5% of the population tells them everything is fine and now we're all doomed? How does that work?
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-03-18, 12:31

Nordic wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:with the grotesque absence of leadership at the federal level, when all of this is (hopefully) behind us, we're going to sit back and admire the leadership of the state/local government (speaking of DeWine in Ohio, Whitmer, Inslee in Washington state, Cuomo has been very impressive), school districts (East Lansing Public Schools have been on the forefront of engaging with the community, providing meals to local people - not just students in need), and entities that cancelled events such as basketball tournaments, SXSW, Coachella, etc.

If your done with your yard work, my place is a shit show. I can keep ya busy for a while.

Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 7 4113017228 empowering the states is kinda how our gov't is setup to run
esp. in the absence of a competent federal government.

and because of your condescending 4th grade civics lesson, you're cleaning up your own yard, muthaf**ker.

Wink
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-03-18, 12:33

Jake from State Farm wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:[tw]1240131226268323842?s=20[/tw]

So a network that reaches less than 0.5% of the population tells them everything is fine and now we're all doomed? How does that work?

More people listen to Fox News than any other outlet. If you listen to the president wailing about fake news and don’t think that fox is a huge part of it, you’ve successfully been gas lighted.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-03-18, 12:46

Jefferson plant stops production with line workers screaming at each other. Many are “freaking out”.

Fiat Chrysler workers pissed off.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2020-03-18, 12:47

DWags wrote:
Jake from State Farm wrote:

More people listen to Fox News than any other outlet. If you listen to the president wailing about fake news and don’t think that fox is a huge part of it, you’ve successfully been gas lighted.

To quote Bob, "America is a stupid Country".
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2020-03-18, 12:48

Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 7 1550444538 Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 7 1550444538 Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 7 1550444538

U.S. Virus Plan Anticipates 18-Month Pandemic and Widespread Shortages
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 25 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16 ... 25  Next