Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What’s on the menus for tonight?

+16
steveschneider
The Pantry
Motown Spartan
CORNER BLITZ
WhiteBoyHatcher
kingstonlake
Cameron
Floyd Robertson
Dendrobates
Watch Out Pylon!
MiamiSpartan
duffy munn
Robert J Sakimano
Travis of the Cosmos
Turtleneck
DWags
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What’s on the menus for tonight?   - Page 2 Empty Re: What’s on the menus for tonight?

Post by tGreenWay 2020-05-05, 17:55

MiamiSpartan wrote:I've pretty much mastered some amazing chicken fajitas during this pandemic, but for today I'm going to give steak a try. Shouldn't be too much different. Maybe I'll tweak the marinade a bit, but I usually kind of wing that to an extent anyway.

You’re in for a big surprise. Cows are bigger and heavier than chickens, and your stove is in danger of collapsing.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

What’s on the menus for tonight?   - Page 2 Empty Re: What’s on the menus for tonight?

Post by MattyFresh 2020-05-05, 17:56

tGreenWay wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:I've pretty much mastered some amazing chicken fajitas during this pandemic, but for today I'm going to give steak a try.  Shouldn't be too much different.  Maybe I'll tweak the marinade a bit, but I usually kind of wing that to an extent anyway.

You’re in for a big surprise. Cows are bigger and heavier than chickens, and your stove is in danger of collapsing.

Well, first off, I am not sure where you're going to find a marinade bag that big
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-05-05, 18:08

MattyFresh wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Well, first off, I am not sure where you're going to find a marinade bag that big

I got you
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-05-05, 18:15

Went out for a bike ride and decided to take a detour and see what kind of action was going down at Taco Loco (24 & Van Dyke). Parking lot was jammed with people waiting in their cars for orders. I'm talking like 40-50 cars, almost as full as the lot gets. If they were inside eating it would have been a typical Tuesday crowd. Guess I'm ordering from there.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-05-05, 18:17

MattyFresh wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

It’s udderly impossible.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2020-05-05, 18:18

Floyd Robertson wrote:Went out for a bike ride and decided to take a detour and see what kind of action was going down at Taco Loco (24 & Van Dyke). Parking lot was jammed with people waiting in their cars for orders. I'm talking like 40-50 cars, almost as full as the lot gets. If they were inside eating it would have been a typical Tuesday crowd. Guess I'm ordering from there.

East side!
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-05-05, 19:44

Floyd Robertson wrote:Went out for a bike ride and decided to take a detour and see what kind of action was going down at Taco Loco (24 & Van Dyke). Parking lot was jammed with people waiting in their cars for orders. I'm talking like 40-50 cars, almost as full as the lot gets. If they were inside eating it would have been a typical Tuesday crowd. Guess I'm ordering from there.

Where are you riding in VD and 24? The gravel? Or are you that trusting of drivers coming at you? Cause my drivers ed peeps drive that. You cray.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-05-05, 19:55

DWags wrote:

Where are you riding in VD and 24?  The gravel?   Or are you that trusting of drivers coming at you?  Cause my drivers ed peeps drive that. You cray.  

Sidewalk.

Doesn't rule out the cray part.

Last edited by Floyd Robertson on 2020-05-05, 20:27; edited 1 time in total
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-05-05, 20:24

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Duff - 2 years ago I would have said blasphemous but I've softened in old age. You can only use the tools you got. shrug. Have you tried the indirect method on the charcoal grill? You aren't going to get much charcoal flavor into the meat after it's already 60%+ cooked.

Me, I'm waiting on a shipment of head on shrimp from Hmart via Instacart so I can give gumbo a shot. Not sure if it's coming today or tomorrow. If not, fuck it, we will make some taco meat.

I've cooked ribs fully in the oven twice during this pandemic, and I'm a rib connoisseur. Probably my favorite food (no, I'm not related to Perles). I was unsure about using the oven, but now have no problems with it. I've never had a smoker, but would do indirect heat in the grill. My grill has gone to shit, though, and pre-pandemic we just weren't cooking at home much to make it a priority. Since the pandemic, I still havent made it a priority.

Anywho, the ribs in the oven have been great. Not the smoky flavor, but that isn't a make or break for me. I'm more about the rub and the sauce (I'm sure there's a perverted joke in there somewhere). Some people say to use liquid smoke, but I can't vouch for that.

I wrap the ribs in foil and cook them at 300 for about 2.5 hours. Then open the foil, add the BBQ sauce and turn the heat up to 400 for 15-20 min. FWIW the basic cooking method I got from Emeril. Lots of methods call for anywhere from 200-300 degrees for longer, but 300 for 2.5 hours still makes them extremely tender. If anything they end up too fall of the bone, but they're moist and delicious.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-05-05, 20:47

steveschneider wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:I've pretty much mastered some amazing chicken fajitas during this pandemic, but for today I'm going to give steak a try. Shouldn't be too much different. Maybe I'll tweak the marinade a bit, but I usually kind of wing that to an extent anyway.

You have a link or recipe for the fajitas? I love making mexican food with chicken. Thanks!

To quote Wilma Flintstone, it's just a pinch of this and a dash of that. I just the measurements, but the ingredients are similar to Dwags' recipe that he posted. I use whatever amount of juice I can squeeze out of a full lime (or lemon if I don't have a lime like tonight). Then add about the same amount of olive oil as what I have of lime/lemon juice. From there, I don't know, maybe a tablespoon each spoon of kosher salt, cumin, garlic powder, and little less (maybe half tablespoon?) of ground pepper and chili powder. I prefer to slice the chicken before marinating/cooking, but some people like to slice after. Then put the chicken in a zip lock with the marinade.

But the specifics that Dwags posted has mostly the same ingredients, and exact measurements, so you could go with that.

As for the cooking, I've read different ways, but what works well for me is to partially sautee the peppers and onions in a pan with about a tablespoon of olive oil until they soften and start to brown, sprinkling some salt and pepper on them while cooking. Then move those to a plate and put the chicken in the pan. When the chicken is just about done, put the peppers and onions back in the pan with the chicken to warm those up while mixing with the chicken.

I'm not good with exact recipes as there always seems to be something that I don't like in terms of an ingredient I don't have or a method that I don't like or am too lazy for. So I just take bits and pieces from different recipes and wing it.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-05-05, 20:54

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Make sure you buy skirt steak Miami!

It's called Churrasco down here, mang (imagine a bad Tony Montana accent).

But yeah, I doubled up on that at the store yesterday, as in addition to the fajitas tonight (which were great), I'm also going to make one of the packages as a nice churrasco steak by itself tomorrow or Thursday.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2