Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Ramblings

+27
steveschneider
NigelUno
kingstonlake
Turtleneck
MiamiSpartan
MSU addict
Other Teams Pursuing That
WCSparty
Motown Spartan
GRR Spartan
Nordic
Jake from State Farm
MattyFresh
Senior Dickfist
Rocinante
Cameron
Tim Wakefield
CORNER BLITZ
The Pantry
AvgMSUJoe
WhiteBoyHatcher
DWags
Floyd Robertson
Bill Cain
tGreenWay
Dendrobates
Watch Out Pylon!
31 posters

Page 2 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next

Go down

Random Ramblings - Page 2 Empty Re: Random Ramblings

Post by Senior Dickfist 2020-04-29, 16:29

I hear you on the audiophile conversations, etc..although I do enjoy them.  

I've played guitar for 30 years, been to more concerts in my teen and 20s than I could count and still listen to music way too loud.  If there is one friend I have that NEVER leaves my side, it's my buddy tinnitus.  I like white noise to help drown it out.  

My guitar amp is an earlier Eddie Van Halen signature model .  Some people find the highs to be too high (bright), but they say that Eddie's hearing is damaged enough that he doesn't hear the highs, so he cranks them up.  I know I suffer from some degree of hearing loss (most definitely according to my wife) and I try to remember this when I adjust the tone on my amp.  I may not hear the ice pick, ear piercing highs, but most others will.
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-04-29, 18:26

Senior Dickfist wrote:I hear you on the audiophile conversations, etc..although I do enjoy them.  

I've played guitar for 30 years, been to more concerts in my teen and 20s than I could count and still listen to music way too loud.  If there is one friend I have that NEVER leaves my side, it's my buddy tinnitus.  I like white noise to help drown it out.  

My guitar amp is an earlier Eddie Van Halen signature model .  Some people find the highs to be too high (bright), but they say that Eddie's hearing is damaged enough that he doesn't hear the highs, so he cranks them up.  I know I suffer from some degree of hearing loss (most definitely according to my wife) and I try to remember this when I adjust the tone on my amp.  I may not hear the ice pick, ear piercing highs, but most others will.

What kind of white noise thing do you use? Any drawbacks? I've had it so long that I can't even remember when it started and I've never tried any kind of remediation.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-04-29, 19:05

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Are CDs (audio) worth anything?

Doing Covid cleaning... boxes and boxes of CDs (and tapes)... But we use spotify for everything. Are they trash or goodwill?

Did the same thing a few years ago. What FBC didn’t buy, we donated to ELPL and Goodwill. Will everything at a standstill right now, it won’t be a good time to sell. BTW, if you live around EL, FBC will come to you if there’s a lot to go through.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-04-29, 19:36

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Senior Dickfist wrote:I hear you on the audiophile conversations, etc..although I do enjoy them.  

What kind of white noise thing do you use? Any drawbacks? I've had it so long that I can't even remember when it started and I've never tried any kind of remediation.

Fourteen-plus years of working in radio and lots of station-sponsored concerts got me tinnitus in my twenties. Been using white noise at night for probably 30 years now. Have also used them to reduce outdoor noise such car horns and students whooping it up on football weekends, and neighbors mowing when I’m napping. Also took a machine on the road to drown out noisy hotel guests. I’ll get the info on the machines and pass it along. There’s also a few free white noise apps, and I like the one I have on my phone. I’ll let you know which one that is, too.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-04-29, 19:46

tGreenWay wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Fourteen-plus years of working in radio and lots of station-sponsored concerts got me tinnitus in my twenties. Been using white noise at night for probably 30 years now. Have also used them to reduce outdoor noise such car horns and students whooping it up on football weekends, and neighbors mowing when I’m napping. Also took a machine on the road to drown out noisy hotel guests. I’ll get the info on the machines and pass it along. There’s also a few free white noise apps, and I like the one I have on my phone. I’ll let you know which one that is, too.

Thanks, appreciate the info.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist 2020-05-01, 14:56

Floyd Robertson wrote:

Sorry, was watching a movie with the wife when I read this and couldn't respond. As soon as I read your post, I became very aware of the ringing and it seemed a lot louder than normal...lol.

I should have been more specific, I use a fan for my white noise. Most anything other noise bothers me as much as the ringing. The fan works dual purpose since I love the sound and absolutely love the moving air.
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-05-01, 19:25

Senior Dickfist wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Sorry, was watching a movie with the wife when I read this and couldn't respond. As soon as I read your post, I became very aware of the ringing and it seemed a lot louder than normal...lol.

I should have been more specific, I use a fan for my white noise. Most anything other noise bothers me as much as the ringing. The fan works dual purpose since I love the sound and absolutely love the moving air.

Thanks for the fan idea.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-05-01, 19:35

Yeah, a fan works great. Run it even in the winter.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2020-05-01, 19:57

I run a fan all year long for white noise.

When I travel for work, I use a fan app
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-05-01, 20:02

Tinnitus is a bitch. I need some sort of white noise to fall asleep. Usually a fan.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-05-02, 19:27

Random memory popped in my head from when I was a kid. My mom had washed my baseball team hat, and I was pissed at her.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2020-05-02, 20:28

tGreenWay wrote:Random memory popped in my head from when I was a kid. My mom had washed my baseball team hat, and I was pissed at her.

thanks for bringing back a similar memory from my past. 3rd grade, nice fitted hat from my hockey team. Next thing you know brim broken down, never wore it again
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-05-02, 20:31

MattyFresh wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Random memory popped in my head from when I was a kid. My mom had washed my baseball team hat, and I was pissed at her.

thanks for bringing back a similar memory from my past. 3rd grade, nice fitted hat from my hockey team. Next thing you know brim broken down, never wore it again

Yup. Totally ruined the hat. The brims back then (maybe even now) were just cardboard paperboard. Had to get a new one. Moms just don’t get it. I’m hoping I’ll be able to forgive her some day soon.

Last edited by tGreenWay on 2020-05-03, 18:41; edited 1 time in total
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2020-05-03, 18:28

I got sunburned today, and I'm happy about that.

I think they said yesterday it was our highest day in 218 days? Something like that.
Now they're saying 40s next weekend and possible snow? Fuck this state.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-05-03, 18:42

tGreenWay wrote:
MattyFresh wrote:

Yup. Totally ruined the hat. The brims back then (maybe even now) were just cardboard paperboard. Had to get a new one. Moms just don’t get it. I’m hoping I’ll be able to forgive her some day soon.
Remember the metal hat molder thing for washing so it wouldn't fry the brim? Fkr never worked.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cain 2020-05-03, 19:04

The dating world made me realize the map of Higgins lake looks like a dick and balls
Bill Cain
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-05-03, 19:13

Dendrobates wrote:I got sunburned today, and I'm happy about that.

I think they said yesterday it was our highest day in 218 days? Something like that.
Now they're saying 40s next weekend and possible snow? Fuck this state.

Not if you go by OTPT’s scale.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-05-03, 19:18

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Remember the metal hat molder thing for washing so it wouldn't fry the brim? Fkr never worked.

Total waste of money. My mom tried that, too, on one of the free Tigers hats I got from McDonalds. Yet another hat ruined.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2020-05-03, 20:23

tGreenWay wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:

Total waste of money. My mom tried that, too, on one of the free Tigers hats I got from McDonalds. Yet another hat ruined.

My head is way too big for baseball hats and I look stupid in them, it's saved me a ton of money over the years.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2020-05-04, 13:06

Learning to play cribbage today
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-05-04, 15:31

Went to a store a month ago and it was closed. Went there today and it was open. Put on my mask and went in. Owner of the place had a mask and gloves on. Place had Plexiglas put up over the checkout counter.

Thinking Plexiglas and Lexan manufacturers' business is booming and will be for a while. Possible stock investment?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist 2020-05-04, 17:02

Going for a walk. I moved a few months back and it's time for more exploration.
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-05-04, 23:11

I listen to most of YouTube/podcasts on 2x speed. Doesn't happen on podcast app, but occasionally YouTube will switch to normal speed.... everyone sounds drunk and it really messes my head up
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist 2020-05-05, 09:04

Hi everybody! Did you all get your stimulus checks and your invitation letter to join Mensa?
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2020-05-05, 11:11

A package came from fedex, and the dog barked. So then my 2.5 year old started barking at the window too Random Ramblings - Page 2 502811600
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-05-05, 11:23

Dendrobates wrote:A package came from fedex, and the dog barked. So then my 2.5 year old started barking at the window too Random Ramblings - Page 2 502811600

Random Ramblings - Page 2 502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-05-05, 11:24

Senior Dickfist wrote:Hi everybody! Did you all get your stimulus checks and your invitation letter to join Mensa?

I’m holding out for an in-person invitation.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-05-05, 20:05

If you had told me 10 years ago that in 2020 I'd be able to order medical grade marijuana online, drive to a place, and have them bring it out to my car, but that there would be a global pandemic, asian death hornets, and Donald Trump would be president, I probably would have taken the deal.

If time travel turns out to be real, there's a chance this is all my fault.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-05-05, 21:59

Cameron wrote:If you had told me 10 years ago that in 2020 I'd be able to order medical grade marijuana online, drive to a place, and have them bring it out to my car, but that there would be a global pandemic, asian death hornets, and Donald Trump would be president, I probably would have taken the deal.

Random Ramblings - Page 2 1966794946
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-05-05, 22:25

Cameron wrote:If you had told me 10 years ago that in 2020 I'd be able to order medical grade marijuana online, drive to a place, and have them bring it out to my car, but that there would be a global pandemic, asian death hornets, and Donald Trump would be president, I probably would have taken the deal.

Random Ramblings - Page 2 502811600
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-05-07, 05:53

Beautiful full moon setting this morning
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2020-05-07, 20:04

I learned to play cribbage the last few days, still don't know if I am playing it right.
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-05-07, 20:08

MattyFresh wrote:I learned to play cribbage the last few days, still don't know if I am playing it right.

No one knows for sure that you aren't.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-05-07, 21:42

The Pantry wrote:Beautiful full moon setting this morning

It was pretty great last night, too.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-05-07, 21:58

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Beautiful full moon setting this morning

Not bad tonight either.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-05-07, 22:07

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Not bad tonight either.

I’ll check it out when I take out the trash.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2020-05-07, 22:37

MattyFresh wrote:Learning to play cribbage today

15 - 2, 15 - 4, 15 -6
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-05-11, 12:10

Interesting couple of days in the Hatcher household. Yesterday my kids got it in their heads that it would be fun to wrestle with me and try to take me down. Boy bumps into girl's head as I'm fending them off, she starts wailing immediately, blood gushing, one of her top teeth got knocked loose. She is panicking, we are panicking because this has been a big topic of discussion in our house as these two teeth were starting to come in very crooked. She and my wife insisted they were the permanent teeth and the baby teeth had already fallen out. Lots of talk about braces, etc. So if a big permanent tooth gets knocked loose and bloody like that in a kid, it can be a big deal. I thought they were baby teeth and they were remembering wrong, my dentist buddy agreed and so did Girbaud's wife. Emergency call to ped dentist yesterday, masked appt set up for today so they could go in only to find out...that they were baby teeth. Lots of panic yesterday for a few minutes. Including big bro crying and praying out loud. Random Ramblings - Page 2 502811600

The past few days we noticed something starting to smell in our family room with the fireplace (gas insert) and sliding door to patio. My daughter claimed she saw a mouse over the weekend, but wasn't really sure and I didn't believe her. I was starting to as of yesterday, because I was pretty sure something was behind the fireplace insert and dead. Today the stench was even worse and I said ok I'm gonna tear up some shit in this room (lots of toys in baskets, shelves, etc) before I call a critter man to come tear out the fireplace. Daughter is helping me remove board games from under one of the shelves and she shrieks and goes running. Dead mouse right there on the floor. Not sure if one of the cats killed it or it just died. Not sure why it was in the house. I've had one in the garage before because we had scout popcorn in boxes on the floor. Fuck. I don't think you can really keep these fuckers out of your house if they want to get in, can you? At least the smell will be gone.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2020-05-11, 14:49

Ok this sounds weird but does anyone know what to do with a movie/book plot? Like in regards to getting a producer's attention?
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-05-11, 14:50

Tim Wakefield wrote:Ok this sounds weird but does anyone know what to do with a movie/book plot? Like in regards to getting a producer's attention?

Standing buck naked on a 405 freeway overpass holding up a sign is probably your best bet.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next