Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MSU students coming back in the fall

+7
CORNER BLITZ
DWags
Dendrobates
Turtleneck
Robert J Sakimano
Tim Wakefield
tGreenWay
11 posters

Go down

MSU students coming back in the fall Empty MSU students coming back in the fall

Post by tGreenWay 2020-05-27, 15:32

MSU students will return to campus this fall despite COVID-19 pandemic

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/2020/05/27/msu-students-return-campus-fall-despite-covid-19-pandemic/5268144002/
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

MSU students coming back in the fall Empty Re: MSU students coming back in the fall

Post by Tim Wakefield 2020-05-27, 15:40

President Stanley is a good guy to have in charge at this time. Good to see this
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

MSU students coming back in the fall Empty Re: MSU students coming back in the fall

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-05-27, 15:51

Letter From Dr. Stanley
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-05-27, 15:53

I kind of disagree, Wake. Per that article they don't have much of a plan, and this will take a lot of careful and detailed planning with collaboration from units across the university. I hope this is not just a game to make sure students remain enrolled, only to change things up down the road and continue with distance learning.

Edit: letter seems to imply planning is further along than article states.

Last edited by Turtleneck on 2020-05-27, 17:19; edited 2 times in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2020-05-27, 15:54

I'm glad I'm not a student/professor/instructor there (almost was). I would not be comfortable with this.

I do hope we're all wrong, and a worse off second wave doesnt happen. But based on history, it will.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-05-27, 15:56

Turtleneck wrote:I kind of disagree, Wake. Per that article they don't have much of a plan, and this will take a lot of careful and detailed planning with collaboration from units across the university. I hope this is not just a game to make sure students remain enrolled, only to change things up down the road and continue with distance learning.
hate to be cynical, but I'm leaning in that direction. This is a very fluid situation and the first day of classes is over two months away.

by comparison, over two months ago from where we currently are, the United States had a handful of deaths and we were planning on celebrating another Final Four run.. we see how that turned out.. Lots can change in 10 weeks.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-05-27, 16:38

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:I kind of disagree, Wake. Per that article they don't have much of a plan, and this will take a lot of careful and detailed planning with collaboration from units across the university. I hope this is not just a game to make sure students remain enrolled, only to change things up down the road and continue with distance learning.
hate to be cynical, but I'm leaning in that direction. This is a very fluid situation and the first day of classes is over two months away.

by comparison, over two months ago from where we currently are, the United States had a handful of deaths and we were planning on celebrating another Final Four run.. we see how that turned out.. Lots can change in 10 weeks.

Speaking of that, when do we get our computer awarded National Championship swag? DWags wants his hat.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-05-27, 16:56

tGreenWay wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Speaking of that, when do we get our computer awarded National Championship swag? DWags wants his hat.
gotta follow up with whatever nerd had us winning.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-05-27, 16:57

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Yep. I'm not relaxed about this at all. I also read his letter, and have a shit ton of questions. I know this absolutely green lighted my kid into not even considering January start. What happens if a care worker gets it? how do they clean shit up? So many more questions now. I think they had to do this, but I don't get a ton of it. leave before thanksgiving take finals online? It's a tough call. I'm not comfortable.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-05-27, 17:08

Tim Wakefield wrote:President Stanley is a good guy to have in charge at this time. Good to see this

Solid letter from Stanley
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-05-27, 17:12

tGreenWay wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

by comparison, over two months ago from where we currently are, the United States had a handful of deaths and we were planning on celebrating another Final Four run.. we see how that turned out..  Lots can change in 10 weeks.

MSU students coming back in the fall Front_10
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2020-05-27, 17:19

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

by comparison, over two months ago from where we currently are, the United States had a handful of deaths and we were planning on celebrating another Final Four run.. we see how that turned out..  Lots can change in 10 weeks.

I'm not one to take COVID lightly or say it is overblown, but I agree with saying that they will open campus and have kids in classes. Because they can't announce they are doing the online classes and in mid-August decide it is clear that classes can be held; but if things take a turn for the worse they can revisit the decision and announce lectures, labs, or even all classes will be on-line.
I don't think they are trying to keep enrollment, but rather planning for what hopefully is most likely that they can open everything up, and have a fall back plan if changes need to be made.

I'll be interested to see if they have home football games with 72,000 in masks, or maybe 20-25,000 masks and some distancing, empty stands or worst of all cancel Coach Tuckers first year. Because, after all, the primary purpose of a Power 5 University is to have a top level athletic program, starting with football.
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-05-27, 18:41

Wally Fairway wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

I'm not one to take COVID lightly or say it is overblown, but I agree with saying that they will open campus and have kids in classes. Because they can't announce they are doing the online classes and in mid-August decide it is clear that classes can be held; but if things take a turn for the worse they can revisit the decision and announce lectures, labs, or even all classes will be on-line.
I don't think they are trying to keep enrollment, but rather planning for what hopefully is most likely that they can open everything up, and have a fall back plan if changes need to be made.

I'll be interested to see if they have home football games with 72,000 in masks, or maybe 20-25,000 masks and some distancing, empty stands or worst of all cancel Coach Tuckers first year. Because, after all, the primary purpose of a Power 5 University is to have a top level athletic program, starting with football.
no way on earth they have fans in the stands. I just can't see that happening.

To DWags point, it's unsettling. My biggest issue - and I have a lot of issues - is housing. We're fortunate that our daughter is off campus (granted, across Grand River in a co-op), but I don't envy parents of freshman that are now debating on campus housing. Residence halls are already Petri dishes of germs and bacteria.. now factor in a virus that has no treatment, cure or vaccine?

I'm not optimistic. I'm not saying it's the wrong decision. I just don't know that it's the right decision. Course delivery is the easy part.. housing, dining halls and flooding East Lansing with god only knows what are the parts that concern me.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-05-27, 21:02

Tim Wakefield wrote:President Stanley is a good guy to have in charge at this time. Good to see this

Seconded.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2020-05-27, 21:16

My "kids" are long gone from MSU but have two nieces who are current students. I talked to my brother ( Dad of one of the girls) today and he had an interesting take.

He said tuition for fall is due on June 1 and this move is insuring MSU gets it's $$. He thinks on campus housing and classes are 50/50 for Sept 2. He also said the refunds for winter term housing were a fraction of what he paid and hard to get. Cynical? Maybe but I think students on campus this fall is far from a done deal.

If it were me, I would recommend to my kid to take the term off.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-05-27, 21:18

I'd be surprised if MSU did anything else, or followed what the California State Univeraity system is doing, this far in advance (and that seems quite different because of the number of campuses involved). Most seem to be taking this same route at this point.

I think you decide in August, not May, if it is the right decision to open, and I'm sure they will and people may second guess that either way, which is perfectly fine. But now, 3 months out, this seems the practical thing to do, because it allows the school to prepare to open. It takes more time and effort to prepare for opening than it does to scrap the opening and go online. You can decide close it at the last minute, but you can't decide to start preparing to open at the last minute.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-05-27, 21:51

Wally Fairway wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

MiamiSpartan wrote:I'd be surprised if MSU did anything else, or followed what the California State Univeraity system is doing, this far in advance (and that seems quite different because of the number of campuses involved).  Most seem to be taking this same route at this point.

I think you decide in August, not May, if it is the right decision to open, and I'm sure they will and people may second guess that either way, which is perfectly fine.  But now, 3 months out, this seems the practical thing to do, because it allows the school to prepare to open.  It takes more time and effort to prepare for opening than it does to scrap the opening and go online.  You can decide close it at the last minute, but you can't decide to start preparing to open at the last minute.

This. Every University is making multiple plans. Daughter got the email today. We are fully preparing and expecting to move her in this fall. We'll ripcord it in a heartbeat if needed.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-05-27, 22:04

Nordic wrote:
Wally Fairway wrote:

MiamiSpartan wrote:I'd be surprised if MSU did anything else, or followed what the California State Univeraity system is doing, this far in advance (and that seems quite different because of the number of campuses involved).  Most seem to be taking this same route at this point.

I think you decide in August, not May, if it is the right decision to open, and I'm sure they will and people may second guess that either way, which is perfectly fine.  But now, 3 months out, this seems the practical thing to do, because it allows the school to prepare to open.  It takes more time and effort to prepare for opening than it does to scrap the opening and go online.  You can decide close it at the last minute, but you can't decide to start preparing to open at the last minute.

This. Every University is making multiple plans. Daughter got the email today. We are fully preparing and expecting to move her in this fall. We'll ripcord it in a heartbeat if needed.

yep. Just trust yourself in the end. You'll weigh the evidence, and error on the side of the kid. Don't know if she'll be upset or not, but the ol stand by "we aren't their friends" comes to mind.

I'm glad mine is in an apartment. But as I've said, I'll be very nervous. Wish we were doing this in January instead.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down