Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No students on MSU's campus this fall

+17
Izzo Court
Turtleneck
Robert J Sakimano
DWags
tGreenWay
y2kMgrad
AvgMSUJoe
Jake from State Farm
aualum06
Other Teams Pursuing That
MiamiSpartan
CORNER BLITZ
Watch Out Pylon!
Travis of the Cosmos
Nordic
WhiteBoyHatcher
duffy munn
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

No students on MSU's campus this fall Empty No students on MSU's campus this fall

Post by duffy munn Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:00 pm

Stanley is about to pull the trigger to online only. IMO a very smart move.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

No students on MSU's campus this fall Empty Re: No students on MSU's campus this fall

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:40 pm

Officially announced. Wow. Feel so bad for those kids.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

No students on MSU's campus this fall Empty Re: No students on MSU's campus this fall

Post by Nordic Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:52 pm

Stanley has been very progressive on his handling of the situation,  more so than any other university/college in our state.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:52 pm

Kids should absolutely just take the year off if they have the opportunity to do so. Go work or whatever. There’s no need to graduate in 4 years and miss a year of a real college experience just to go join the workforce for the next 50 years of their lives. No rush, the monotony will be there a year later as well.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:55 pm

Fucked up times man.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:56 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Kids should absolutely just take the year off if they have the opportunity to do so. Go work or whatever. There’s no need to graduate in 4 years and miss a year of a real college experience just to go join the workforce for the next 50 years of their lives. No rush, the monotony will be there a year later as well.

This

CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:01 pm

All kids should get the year off K-12 included. Fuck it, let's try again next year.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Travis of the Cosmos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:09 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Kids should absolutely just take the year off if they have the opportunity to do so. Go work or whatever. There’s no need to graduate in 4 years and miss a year of a real college experience just to go join the workforce for the next 50 years of their lives. No rush, the monotony will be there a year later as well.

Limited jobs available, limited travel, limited fun. I'd do school. Granted, I'd try to do as many of the classes that would typically be in large lecture halls, as possible, because what is really the difference? Overall, if you're going to be stuck largely at home, minus well do something that is less fun, like focus on your studies.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:11 pm

Travis is right, again.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:20 pm

MSU President Stanley moves undergrad instruction online only for start of fall semester

I misread Duffs OP. I read it as MSU was closing campus.

This is actually not that big of a departure from what they a were already doing. Most undergrad classes were already online. All my kid's frosh classes are already online.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:30 pm

Nordic wrote:MSU President Stanley moves undergrad instruction online only for start of fall semester

This is actually not that big of a departure from what they a were already doing. Most undergrad classes were already online. All my kid's frosh classes are already online.

have you learned from twitter that you don't have to read past a title
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:37 pm

Nordic wrote:MSU President Stanley moves undergrad instruction online only for start of fall semester

With the residence halls closing and no in person instruction campus is essentially closed.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:45 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:All kids should get the year off K-12 included. Fuck it, let's try again next year.

Nah let's send kids to school everyday and make them staying a 6 foot bubble called their desk for 6 hours a d not let them move.exveot for a couple bathroom breaks
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:36 pm

My grandson's choice to attend LCC instead of MSU this fall is turning out to be a very good choice. My granddaughter is also foregoing a year of kindergarten to be home schooled by the wife and I.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

CORNER BLITZ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:42 pm

duffy munn wrote:

With the residence halls closing and no in person instruction campus is essentially closed.

Yeah I think it's a pretty big deal. As of yesterday my niece was planning on moving into her dorm room for her last year of school. For her major there were still some in person requirements. Now she's got to stay home with her parents. My nephew on the other side is off campus but I can't imagine his parents are going to let him go up. He was counting down the days.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:53 pm

As long as there are leases in East Lansing, it will still be a train wreck.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:08 pm

duffy munn wrote:

Do you have a link that residence halls are closing? That is what I'm looking for.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:12 pm

Checked my email. Official statement.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Nordic on Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:16 pm

There's no way that signature says Samuel Stanley
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:40 pm

CORNER BLITZ wrote:There's no way that signature says Samuel Stanley

A e 2 Shy 2
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:46 pm

Nordic wrote:Checked my email. Official statement.

Spoiler:

Sorry Nordy, I just unsubscribed you from further email notices. The link was just there, taunting me. Oops.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:02 pm

My wife has explained to me in calm terms that we actually live in the worst county in Michigan for Covid and the hottest spot. Pick em up trucks with huge flags in them and arguments at Kroger about wearing masks. So.... she asks “why keep her here? Send her to Ingham county to take the classes online in her apartment. I think maybe she’s right.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:06 pm

DWags wrote:My wife has explained to me in calm terms that we actually live in the worst county in Michigan for Covid and the hottest spot. Pick em up trucks with huge flags in them and arguments at Kroger about wearing masks. So.... she asks “why keep her here? Send her to Ingham county to take the classes online in her apartment. I think maybe she’s right.
Do they got the internets on Mackinaw island?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:12 pm

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
DWags wrote:My wife has explained to me in calm terms that we actually live in the worst county in Michigan for Covid and the hottest spot. Pick em up trucks with huge flags in them and arguments at Kroger about wearing masks. So.... she asks “why keep her here? Send her to Ingham county to take the classes online in her apartment. I think maybe she’s right.
Do they got the internets on Mackinaw island?

I think if Bob were still in school he’d probably go online up there.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:15 pm

tGreenway wrote:Sorry Nordy, I just unsubscribed you from further email notices. The link was just there, taunting me. Oops.

Ha. I just figured out what you were talking about.

Thanks for decluttering my email!
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:44 am

yeah, I don't think anyone is surprised by this move by MSU.

Our daughter is safer living in her house off Grand River 'cause if she lived here, she and my wife would kill each other.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:56 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
yeah, I don't think anyone is surprised by this move by MSU.

Our daughter is safer living in her house off Grand River 'cause if she lived here, she and my wife would kill each other.

No students on MSU's campus this fall 502811600
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:14 am

When is the due date for fall tuition?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:03 am

Turtleneck wrote:When is the due date for fall tuition?

Last week

Although tuition refund period is someone mid September
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:12 am

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:When is the due date for fall tuition?

Last week

Interesting.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:25 am

Turtleneck wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:

Last week

Interesting.
How long of a lapse can happen prior to re-applying?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:59 am

Turtleneck wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:

Last week

Interesting.

The ole bait and switch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:05 am

So if MSU's campus is empty, it should be safe for the football team to practice and begin playing games.
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:14 pm

Izzo Court wrote:So if MSU's campus is empty, it should be safe for the football team to practice and begin playing games.

Are they going to scrimmage themselves?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:40 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:

Limited jobs available, limited travel, limited fun. I'd do school. Granted, I'd try to do as many of the classes that would typically be in large lecture halls, as possible, because what is really the difference? Overall, if you're going to be stuck largely at home, minus well do something that is less fun, like focus on your studies.
Agreed get on with it and get it over with. My neighbors kid packed the truck and is heading off to Albany for school. Parents wanted him to stay home a semester and he didn’t want to do it. Really do feel bad for these kids.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:08 pm

Izzo Court wrote:So if MSU's campus is empty, it should be safe for the football team to practice and begin playing games.

Not scientific... But blacksheep_msu has a poll going on insta with 4500+ responses and so far 71% say they're still going/staying in EL vs being at home

I would wager that a decent amount of students are fucked by leases they signed last year and cannot get out of paying 700+/month for an apartment
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:39 pm

CORNER BLITZ wrote:

Not scientific... But blacksheep_msu has a poll going on insta with 4500+ responses and so far 71% say they're still going/staying in EL vs being at home

I would wager that a decent amount of students are fucked by leases they signed last year and cannot get out of paying 700+/month for an apartment

Is it for an apartment or just one room in a 4 bedroom apartment?
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:17 pm

Jake from State Farm wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:

Is it for an apartment or just one room in a 4 bedroom apartment?

you can get chandler 4bed for ~500 *i think says prices subject to change so don't know the last they updated*
1bed in chandler complex ~1000
2bed in the new apartments in front of chandler start at 725
the lodges are 700 for a 4bed and closer to the "required" amenities these days
skyvue is 760+
4bed at Hannah lofts are 750+

Almost any newer apartment is going to be around that 700 mark or higher per room.
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:35 pm

CORNER BLITZ wrote:

We’ve been paying for my kids apartment since April. We’ll be paying for it till June. Empty or full.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:34 pm

MSU has been mentioned all day on national media. The stories about colleges center on the likes of UNC and ND that started classes and then had to shut down due to outbreaks. So the context of MSU being discussed is pretty much that the school is seeing the problems of others and reacting quickly, which reflects well on State in the tone of the stories.

Granted, we might be extra cautious compared to most Universities about anything that could lead to a potential lawsuit. But having a president that is an infectious disease expert lends good credibility to the decision from a safety/science perspective.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next