Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cancel the CFB season? Fine by me.

+3
Motown Spartan
DWags
Turtleneck
7 posters

Go down

Cancel the CFB season? Fine by me. Empty Cancel the CFB season? Fine by me.

Post by Turtleneck Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:58 pm

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/06/23/opinion/cancel-fall-college-football-season/?event=event25
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Cancel the CFB season? Fine by me. Empty Re: Cancel the CFB season? Fine by me.

Post by DWags Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:00 pm

Turtleneck wrote:https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/06/23/opinion/cancel-fall-college-football-season/?event=event25

Fair.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:03 pm

What do chicks know about football...

I kid, I kid.

She’s pretty spot on.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:13 pm

Motown Spartan wrote:What do chicks know about football...

I kid, I kid.

She’s pretty spot on.

https://isearch.asu.edu/profile/681252
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:55 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:What do chicks know about football...

I kid, I kid.

She’s pretty spot on.

https://isearch.asu.edu/profile/681252

Yeah, what’s your point?
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:24 pm

Pie in the sky solution.

Not having a season does nothing to fix the problems. Not to mention it would kill funding for other sports (and those athletes).

Pontification nonsense in other words.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:42 pm

I posted it in the sports thread, I'll post it here as well I don't know what her take is but I predict the attempt to bring sports back is short lived.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:46 pm

steveschneider wrote:I posted it in the sports thread, I'll post it here as well I don't know what her take is but I predict the attempt to bring sports back is short lived.

Yep. Vaccine = sports. You might be able to keep professional teams in a bubble but colleges are gonna be a Petri dish.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:50 pm

No way CFB happens.. and it has nothing to do with BLM.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:07 pm

NigelUno wrote:Pie in the sky solution.

Not having a season does nothing to fix the problems. Not to mention it would kill funding for other sports (and those athletes).

Why should men's BB and FB teams, where a majority of the athletes are people of color, have to perform unpaid labor to support other teams, Nigel? You think an equitable system is one where varsity lacrosse or crew is dependent on taking advantage of FB and BB teams?

Actually it could make a difference. Maybe people will wake up and realize we do not need college BB or FB to be actual industries.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:12 pm

DWags wrote:
steveschneider wrote:I posted it in the sports thread, I'll post it here as well I don't know what her take is but I predict the attempt to bring sports back is short lived.

Yep. Vaccine = sports. You might be able to keep professional teams in a bubble but colleges are gonna be a Petri dish.

I was optimistic for a short while. I know there's a lot of money that will be lost but honestly I think this is pretty much just a lost year.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Look at Florida on that map. Look at Texas. I know that there's a lot of people that will deny science and still deny this virus exists and you could make a short term profit off getting these people in your stadium but not a good long term model.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:13 pm

Also, I've felt well before Covid19 they should pay the athletes you can rest assured I feel even stronger they should be compensated for playing and taking on a risk.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:00 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
NigelUno wrote:Pie in the sky solution.

Why should men's BB and FB teams, where a majority of the athletes are people of color, have to perform unpaid labor to support other teams, Nigel? You think an equitable system is one where varsity lacrosse or crew is dependent on taking advantage of FB and BB teams?

Actually it could make a difference. Maybe people will wake up and realize we do not need college BB or FB to be actual industries.

But, if you want football and basketball players to be paid with some kind of revenue sharing, wouldn't it then be an actual industry?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:05 pm

NigelUno wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Why should men's BB and FB teams, where a majority of the athletes are people of color,  have to perform unpaid labor to support other teams, Nigel? You think an equitable system is one where varsity lacrosse or crew is dependent on taking advantage of FB and BB teams?

But, if you want football and basketball players to be paid with some kind of revenue sharing, wouldn't it then be an actual industry?  

Cancel the CFB season? Fine by me. 276803595
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:39 pm

NigelUno wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Why should men's BB and FB teams, where a majority of the athletes are people of color,  have to perform unpaid labor to support other teams, Nigel? You think an equitable system is one where varsity lacrosse or crew is dependent on taking advantage of FB and BB teams?

I said we do not need them to be industries. That is different from how you framed your question. I stand by my comment. If they are not industries we do not need revenue sharing because we have de-commercialized college sports de-commodified college athletes.

I admit that is, well, highly improbable. In the absence of such drastic change, then yes, revenue sharing is in order. However, revenue sharing begins to address some of the exploitation in college sports, and thus makes it a more equitable industry. Yet I stand by my above comment that we do not actually need college sports to be an industry.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down