Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My turn to ask for sage advice of Prents who have kids with Boyfriends/girlfriends. Or any of you other idiots who see things with fresh eyes that I don't.

+18
Rocinante
Robert J Sakimano
Floyd Robertson
duffy munn
tGreenWay
Nordic
kingstonlake
MSU addict
The Pantry
Other Teams Pursuing That
InTenSity
Cameron
WhiteBoyHatcher
y2kMgrad
Turtleneck
CORNER BLITZ
Motown Spartan
DWags
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My turn to ask for sage advice of Prents who have kids with Boyfriends/girlfriends.  Or any of you other idiots who see things with fresh eyes that I don't. Empty My turn to ask for sage advice of Prents who have kids with Boyfriends/girlfriends. Or any of you other idiots who see things with fresh eyes that I don't.

Post by DWags Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:41 pm

So, here's the deal. My daughter has had a boyfriend for a bit now, the young daughter. 20 years old. Her Boyfriend is either Eddie Haskel type phony or he's really nice. Knows all of our birthdays, got me Yeti cups with "wags" on them. Is an electrician. Has his own money is doing very well. She's at MSU. I like the kid. Have had beer and fished with him. Drink at my house with him. Like his mom and dad, gets along well with mhy wife. Sent flowers to my daughters and wife when the cat died last week. Good guy.

Look, he's 21 she's 20. He goes up to MSU, they take vacations together, I'm not stupid. But when he gets drunk at my house, I don't let him drive home, and I certainly don't let him sleep in my daughters room. Just isn't going to happen in my house. Anyway, he was over with my daughter the other week. They cooked and got drunk. Wife and I were out to an outdoor restaurant she likes. We came home, she went upstairs to watch tv. I went in the basement to watch t.v. Those two kept drinking. I walked up said "Michael, it looks like couch tonight for you." He complied. But then he went and got a glass of water. He set it by our Big screen Sony (we never watch it in the living room, only if people are over for a game ike the super bowl or whatever. Bought in 2013 for about 1100 bucks or so. He spilled his water against the screen that night, he had set it down on the the t.v. stand/furniture thing we bought for it. Water went down into the screen somehow and fucked it up. We took it to a reputable fixer upper inSt. Clair Shores my wife knows them. they called with the bad news. It's dead. crystalized shit inside of it. He showed us pictures. Now, the kid has told my daughter he wants to pay for a new t.v.

What say you? My wife and I are leaning towards "It was an accident, it's 7 years old, I told him he had to sleep in the living room" type thing. Should I have him pitch in a couple hundy? Fuck, I don't know.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

My turn to ask for sage advice of Prents who have kids with Boyfriends/girlfriends.  Or any of you other idiots who see things with fresh eyes that I don't. Empty Re: My turn to ask for sage advice of Prents who have kids with Boyfriends/girlfriends. Or any of you other idiots who see things with fresh eyes that I don't.

Post by Motown Spartan Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:44 pm

Don’t let him pay for it. Tell him to get you a bottle of whiskey or something.

Also...insert inappropriate comment as the alternative.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

My turn to ask for sage advice of Prents who have kids with Boyfriends/girlfriends.  Or any of you other idiots who see things with fresh eyes that I don't. Empty Re: My turn to ask for sage advice of Prents who have kids with Boyfriends/girlfriends. Or any of you other idiots who see things with fresh eyes that I don't.

Post by CORNER BLITZ Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:57 pm

That was extremely long and not at all what I was expecting - so let me respond in kind

The other year my buddy kept having problems with his heater. He's a good guy, his wife is really nice - but she's constantly freezing. Their heat is set in the 80s all winter long. The furnace is BUMPING 24/7. If normal furnaces have a life of 20 years, theirs goes through that in 9 months of use. I'm surprised they even last that long with how often the thing is running.

So I'm over there this past winter drinking, playing cards, and sweating my balls off. Buddy's wife is sweats + big ass socks + slippers + not 1 but 2 blankets and complaining about being cold. Totally normal. However, after a few more beers you do feel a bit of a breeze. They monitor the temp of the house like sandra bullock checking the speed of a fucking bus and once that bitch hit 79 we had to go do some checking.

Well, as things do, it turns out the furnace was crapping out. They had an ecobee system they installed incorrectly, so I was trying to diagnose and fix that. It came time to strip the wires so I put my right hand down and off to the side to have my buddy slide me the box cutters he was playing with. This is probably where some of the beers came in on both ends, because he decided to throw them to my left and far quicker than required for people 5' apart.

It looked like it landed oddly, but didn't see anything immediately wrong so kept moving along. Then I had to use my phone as a flashlight and wouldn't you fuckin know it, the metal box cutter landed oddly because it landed on the screen of my phone and shattered the lower half of the screen rendering it inoperable

Buddy felt terrible and kept trying to get me a phone but I wouldn't accept any money since accidents happen. I'd rather have that buddy spend money on literally anything else than a freak accident on an item I own that isn't really essential at the end of the day. A TV from 2013 is ancient. Are you in a terrible place that you can't replace? It's one you say no one even watches? Why have the kid pay? I'm sure he feels like an ass. Tell him it was an accident and any money he would have spent on a new tv (which are cheap AF) he should just take your daughter out on a nice date when life is acceptable again

CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:58 pm

Does he have a man bun and disregards your refrigerator organization?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:02 pm

What do they do when they vacation together? I’m really innocent and naive.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:06 pm

TVs are pretty cheap these days. You can get a decent 55" for under $500. A TV from 2013 is basically a dinosaur. I'd tell him don't worry about it this time but if he spills water on your new tv or tries to sneak up to your daughter's room you're cutting his balls off. My turn to ask for sage advice of Prents who have kids with Boyfriends/girlfriends.  Or any of you other idiots who see things with fresh eyes that I don't. 55953254
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:09 pm

y2kMgrad wrote:TVs are pretty cheap these days. You can get a decent 55" for under $500. A TV from 2013 is basically a dinosaur. I'd tell him don't worry about it this time but if he spills water on your new tv or tries to sneak up to your daughter's room you're cutting his balls off. My turn to ask for sage advice of Prents who have kids with Boyfriends/girlfriends.  Or any of you other idiots who see things with fresh eyes that I don't. 55953254

this might be the winner
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:13 pm

Tell him you won't take his money but appreciate his sense of responsibility to pay it off and drop it. Literally drop it and don't mention it. If the kid shows up with money, A, he's a keeper, and B, tell him to pick a charity and you are donating the money to that charity and show him proof.

I believe in sincerity and if he's sincere, he deserves the lesson in mistakes happen, but you should pay for your mistakes and learn from them. And also charity. But charity in ripping up his check doesn't really teach the former lesson.

I have been on the wrong side of so many of these things with my FIL. He thinks he's being generous, or prideful, or maybe it's his ego. Any way you slice it, it has not been healthy for our relationship and leads to resentment.

WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:15 pm

Sounds like a good kid, I say YOU buy HIM a TV. And condoms.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:18 pm

Cameron wrote:Sounds like a good kid, I say YOU buy HIM a TV. And condoms.

Make him raw dawg it!
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:22 pm

I'm confused how water ended up in or around a tv. Is it in the middle of your living room and people sitting on the wrong side see the wires?
TV's are what? $500 to get something better>?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:26 pm

Say you appreciate the offer but no chance in hell you take the kids $
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:30 pm

DWags wrote:
y2kMgrad wrote:TVs are pretty cheap these days. You can get a decent 55" for under $500. A TV from 2013 is basically a dinosaur. I'd tell him don't worry about it this time but if he spills water on your new tv or tries to sneak up to your daughter's room you're cutting his balls off. My turn to ask for sage advice of Prents who have kids with Boyfriends/girlfriends.  Or any of you other idiots who see things with fresh eyes that I don't. 55953254

this might be the winner

My turn to ask for sage advice of Prents who have kids with Boyfriends/girlfriends.  Or any of you other idiots who see things with fresh eyes that I don't. 502811600 I'm actually dreading dealing with this kind of shit. My daughters are still too young to date (although the 10yo is starting to ask my wife "boy questions") but I know there will be a day when some chach walks through the front door to take one of my daughters out and I'm going to have to sit him down and tell him how it is.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:34 pm

tl;dr

Pissed my youngest knocked up a chick and the baby is due in about a month.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:34 pm

While I do believe people should pay for their mistakes, this was not a mistake - it was an accident.  Shit happens.  He was crashing on the couch at your request, which I doubt was set up as a functional bedroom.  Hydrating after drinking - generally a good idea.

If you take his money you essentially become his equal.  I would choose not do that that quite yet.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:35 pm

The Pantry wrote:tl;dr

Pissed my youngest knocked up a chick and the baby is due in about a month.

My turn to ask for sage advice of Prents who have kids with Boyfriends/girlfriends.  Or any of you other idiots who see things with fresh eyes that I don't. 502811600
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:55 pm

Motown Spartan wrote:
Cameron wrote:Sounds like a good kid, I say YOU buy HIM a TV. And condoms.

Make him raw dawg it!

lol!
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:55 pm

MSU addict wrote:While I do believe people should pay for their mistakes, this was not a mistake - it was an accident.  Shit happens.  He was crashing on the couch at your request, which I doubt was set up as a functional bedroom.  Hydrating after drinking - generally a good idea.

If you take his money you essentially become his equal.  I would choose not do that that quite yet.

He will become the Alpha of the house if he replaces the TV
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:55 pm

Tell him to keep his money but you get to name their first born.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:23 pm

I need some new TVs too. Can you send him over to my house?
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:45 pm

Accidents happen. Thank him for the offer but don’t take any money, not just because it’s the right thing to do but because you can hold it over him for years.
Also, this is partly your fault for not putting pigeon spikes on the flat surface next to a significant electronic purchase. They’re not expensive, so there’s no excuse.

https://www.birdbgone.com/stainless-steel-pigeon-spikes/?sku=BBG2001-5-10&campaign=GoogleSmartShopping&keyword=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6uT4BRD5ARIsADwJQ1-ppeWe-P24P9Nc8X_0hrzELCkrwFYo4CSLwUhpkhic8U9vJDxoWsoaAi1ZEALw_wcB
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:59 pm

Is he a UM fan? Serious question. No mention of his sports loyalties. I would think that would be what matters most and not this “nice guy” stuff.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:00 am

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Say you appreciate the offer but no chance in hell you take the kids $

Tell him to leave the money in a book at the MSU library for OTPT.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:01 am

Turtleneck wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Say you appreciate the offer but no chance in hell you take the kids $

My turn to ask for sage advice of Prents who have kids with Boyfriends/girlfriends.  Or any of you other idiots who see things with fresh eyes that I don't. 1966794946
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:11 am

“Listen. I’m not taking money or a new TV from you, but thank you for the offer. It was very kind and respectful. If you still feel bad, you can make a donation to my favorite charity, the OTPT Fund. It’s a charity that helps struggling young people get on their feet. You know , the important stuff. Travel to MSU games, buy beer, that kind of stuff that is key to development. Donating is a little unorthodox though. Got to leave the money at a library.”
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:26 am

Watch Grand Torino for tips on how to deal with kids like that. Razz
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:44 am

Turtleneck wrote:

Right answer but wrong guy. Tell him to leave the cash in a book for tum tum or Foster Loyer. His choice.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:48 am

Nordic wrote:

I need some new TVs too. Can you send him over to my house?

My turn to ask for sage advice of Prents who have kids with Boyfriends/girlfriends.  Or any of you other idiots who see things with fresh eyes that I don't. 502811600
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:57 am

Turtleneck wrote:Is he a UM fan? Serious question. No mention of his sports loyalties. I would think that would be what matters most and not this “nice guy” stuff.

Three years ago he was a uofm fan and Trump supporter. Now he’s pure msu and anybody but Trump. My wife and I crack up about that. His dad is still uofm and Trump and gives my wife and I shit about my daughter brainwashing him. Oh well.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:14 am

DWags wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:Is he a UM fan? Serious question. No mention of his sports loyalties. I would think that would be what matters most and not this “nice guy” stuff.

Three years ago he was a uofm fan and Trump supporter. Now he’s pure msu and anybody but Trump. My wife and I crack up about that. His dad is still uofm and Trump and gives my wife and I shit about my daughter brainwashing him. Oh well.

Is your daughter open to dating more pro-Trump young men?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:21 am

DWags wrote:

My turn to ask for sage advice of Prents who have kids with Boyfriends/girlfriends.  Or any of you other idiots who see things with fresh eyes that I don't. Red-flag
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:47 am

Turtleneck wrote:
DWags wrote:

My turn to ask for sage advice of Prents who have kids with Boyfriends/girlfriends.  Or any of you other idiots who see things with fresh eyes that I don't. Red-flag

Meh, I was catholic before I got married. Not now. I mean, I gave up my religion. I haven't looked back.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:08 pm

DWags wrote:

Three years ago he was a uofm fan and Trump supporter.  Now he’s pure msu and anybody but Trump.   My wife and I crack up about that.  His dad is still uofm and Trump and gives my wife and I shit about my daughter brainwashing him.   Oh well.  

Seems afraid of commitment. My turn to ask for sage advice of Prents who have kids with Boyfriends/girlfriends.  Or any of you other idiots who see things with fresh eyes that I don't. 1051155072

Last edited by kingstonlake on Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:10 pm

It’s the sports loyalties, DWags. But he is young enough that it’s still ok. He’s still figuring things out.

Older people who jump teams are always sketch. Once you reach a certain age, there is no going back. You might develop less enthusiasm for your favorite teams, but it’s a violation of the laws of nature to actually switch teams.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:32 pm

Turtleneck wrote:

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:41 pm

You have options:

1. "I don't want a new TV. But I will take the cash. Thanks".
2. "nah, it was an old-ish TV, anyway - we didn't watch it that often. Sucks, but don't worry about it".
3. "I get that you feel bad. I would, too. Get me a bottle of Lagavulin 16 and we'll call it even".
4. "I don't want a new TV but I will take a hat".
5. "You're in charge of organizing my fridge and making sure my fruits stay appropriately chilled for one year".
6. "as punishment, you have to spend one year in Mio".
7. "as punishment, you are hereby sentenced to spend the weekend with with Nedgo and wear his hand-me-downs".
8. make him wax your car like the old man in Karate Kid did with Ralph Macchio.
9. a long, sustained feeling of uncomfortable intensity... think the quarter scene in No Country For Old Men.
10. make him listen to corporate country music. If he likes corporate country music, see #6.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:53 pm

First. I don’t like him. The knowing your birthday and giving you gifts and flowers shit is weird. But hey, I’m jaded.

Second, he’s about 6 months tops from asking your daughter to marry him so get ready.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:57 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
DWags wrote:

Also this is fucked up. But hey my sister in law is married to a trumpist and he’s actually a pretty great guy. He doesn’t advertise it and is good to the family. I guess that’s all you want.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:07 pm

There has to be some real shitty project around your house that you have really been dreading...Sounds like you just scored some help or even better someone to do the entire project.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:50 pm

Rocinante wrote:First. I don’t like him. The knowing your birthday and giving you gifts and flowers shit is weird. But hey, I’m jaded.

Second, he’s about 6 months tops from asking your daughter to marry him so get ready.

Just crossed “Get Roc a birthday gift” off my to do list.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next