Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UofM's new Prez sounds like McPhearson

+21
Rocinante
RogueLeader
Punisher98
Frank Ricard
Rod Porkmore
Turtleneck
Three_Putt_Par
duffy munn
WCS
WhiteBoyHatcher
Floyd Robertson
green night
NigelUno
Gomer
steveschneider
tGreenWay
RBW Spartan
The Pantry
WBill
ErnieMcCracken
DWags
25 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

UofM's new Prez sounds like McPhearson - Page 2 Empty Re: UofM's new Prez sounds like McPhearson

Post by WCS 2014-07-19, 22:40

green night wrote:

ahh, what? You must be a young buck.

NICK SABAN'S THE MAN -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- After an exhaustive search, MSU taps Nick Saban, a no-nonsense, proven winner in both college and professional football. When President Peter McPherson tapped Nick Saban as MSU's new football coach, Spartan enthusiasm ignited from coast to coast. Saban, at 43, ranks among the hottest young prospects in football coaching today. But McPherson generated more than excitement. During the search process, which ended December 2--eight years to the day Saban's oldest child was born--he showcased his presidential style. It was impressive. He sought a vast range of expertise, and he resisted pressures from all sectors. He alone made the final decision. When he did, the outcome received overwhelming acclaim by both the media and alumni. Many MSU leaders believe that McPherson's choice will, at last, unify all sectors of this university. To the extent that happens, his presidency will have scored one of its greatest triumphs to date. McPherson managed to stay in focus during the intensive search, even amid media speculation that reached Alice In Wonderland proportions, with rumor often replacing fact. Through all the clamor and pitfalls, McPherson stayed on course and applied a compelling rationale for his decision. He gave seven reasons for his pick, beginning with the fact that Saban, in his words, is 'tested and proven.' Indeed, as the architect of MSU's 1988 Rose Bowl championship defense, and as the mastermind of the Cleveland Browns defense, the NFL's stingiest this year, Saban boasts a proven record of success in college and professional football-- as head coach and as assistant, both in recruiting and in coaching--that few can match.

http://alumni.msu.edu/magazine/article.cfm?id=259

Saban was our plan c coach. We missed out on Gantner and Osborne. Saban should have been fired after the 1998 season. We hire a good coach and we don't underachieve that season, finishing undefeated and competing for the national championship. We land an even better recruiting class in 2000. No bw and no jls... No Jeff Smoker fiasco. We take over the state in early 2000s instead of now
WCS
WCS
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

UofM's new Prez sounds like McPhearson - Page 2 Empty Re: UofM's new Prez sounds like McPhearson

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-07-19, 22:44

WCS wrote:

Saban was our plan c coach. We missed out on Gantner and Osborne. Saban should have been fired after the 1998 season. We hire a good coach and we don't underachieve that season, finishing undefeated and competing for the national championship. We land an even better recruiting class in 2000.  No bw and no jls... No Jeff Smoker fiasco. We take over the state in early 2000s instead of now

Your humor is just so next level. Even those of us that know you're fucking around have no idea what the **** you are spewing.

Why not just act like an actual person and give actual "real " opinions?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-07-19, 23:18

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Yeah, I don't have intimate knowledge of either situation (Saban vs. present) but it does seem to me that Nick with his NFL background was always a little too "big time" to be expected to stay in EL. Saban seems to me to have always had a football factory mentality and I get what Dwags is saying, but I don't think a situation like he had at LSU or has in Bama was really ever going to be palatable here. I did know some guys on the team very loosely and had some friends who knew guys on the team and he was treating it like a football factory when it was clear the Admin and culture here didn't really support it.

Again, don't know the ins and outs of the current staff but I'm much more comfortable with the approach that they take than the road that I suspect we would had to take in order for Saban to stay and become a fixture at MSU. Coach D and his staff seem to fit in with the landscape much better than I could ever imagine NS doing.

All of that said I'm not blind. Nick is the best in the business and at any point in the past decade and a half since he left, I would have had him back in a heartbeat. Today, though, after this dream season I would take Coach D over Saban at MSU, no fucks given.

I think this is about as accurate as you can get. I just think everything happened for the best and we're lucky as hell to have who we have.

But my original point in this thread is that I find it interesting that it seems there isn't a harmonious relationship between the departments at UofM. It reminded me of our dysfunction in the 80's and 90's and I wonder if it will get to those levels.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-07-19, 23:47

ErnieMcCracken wrote:

Ask Dwags- he is the one all cuddly with Michigan.

Too funny. You defend your wolverines at every opportunity. Every single time.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-07-19, 23:50

WCS wrote:

Saban was our plan c coach. We missed out on Gantner and Osborne. Saban should have been fired after the 1998 season. We hire a good coach and we don't underachieve that season, finishing undefeated and competing for the national championship. We land an even better recruiting class in 2000.  No bw and no jls... No Jeff Smoker fiasco. We take over the state in early 2000s instead of now

If serious, beyond idiotic,. If joking, not funny.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WCS 2014-07-20, 00:02

duffy munn wrote:

If serious, beyond idiotic,. If joking, not funny.

You are the idiot if you're being serious.

We all know that you're a terrible business person. You fucked up ownership of the land shark. Who the hell fucks that up? Just you, apparenyky. We also know that you're a huge Homer. You lie a lot.

You cannot refute the fact that saban only improved the program by a half game in four years... And lost the team y several times in those four years.

You only have one season to base your opposition on... And you fail to acknowledge that he never built the 2000 season to sustain any SD success because the upper class was depleted

Yeah... You're being an asshole like you always are. If you stopped giving people free shit, you'd have no friends
WCS
WCS
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-07-20, 00:15

WCS wrote:

We all know that you're a terrible business person. You fucked up ownership of the land shark. Who the hell fucks that up? Just you, apparenyky. We also know that you're a huge Homer. You lie a lot.

You cannot refute the fact that saban only improved the program by a half game in four years... And lost the team y several times in those four years.

You only have one season to base your opposition on... And you fail to acknowledge that he never built the 2000 season to sustain any SD success because the upper class was depleted

Yeah... You're being an asshole like you always are. If you stopped giving people free shit, you'd have no friends

Wow. Sorry I fucked up over a quarter century. You really think Saban was third choice ?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WCS 2014-07-20, 00:19

duffy munn wrote:

Wow. Sorry I fucked up over a quarter century. You really think Saban was third choice ?

You serious? It's public record Nebraska coach y was #1, PSU coordinator was #2, saban the next choice.
WCS
WCS
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-07-20, 00:26

WCS wrote:

You serious? It's public record Nebraska coach y was #1, PSU coordinator was #2, saban the next choice.

Public record ? There is a public record about coaches interviews and hires ? Is there a public record about the offers to Gantner and Osborne? Where do I look up this information ?

And the personal slam about something I started when you were in grade school is comical.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by ErnieMcCracken 2014-07-20, 01:27

Everyone knows you lie Duffy. MSU wins the Rose and you have nothing better to do than smear. The reason being is the football program has passed you by. Your definition of success is Perles. The DEs has taken the program beyond the mediocre heights you set.
ErnieMcCracken
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by ErnieMcCracken 2014-07-20, 01:29

WCS wrote:

The year after the Citrus win the cupboard was bear no matter the coach. Saban left while his stock was high. He knew the following year was a rebuild minimum.
ErnieMcCracken
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Three_Putt_Par 2014-07-20, 02:40

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Yeah, I don't have intimate knowledge of either situation (Saban vs. present) but it does seem to me that Nick with his NFL background was always a little too "big time" to be expected to stay in EL. Saban seems to me to have always had a football factory mentality and I get what Dwags is saying, but I don't think a situation like he had at LSU or has in Bama was really ever going to be palatable here. I did know some guys on the team very loosely and had some friends who knew guys on the team and he was treating it like a football factory when it was clear the Admin and culture here didn't really support it.

Again, don't know the ins and outs of the current staff but I'm much more comfortable with the approach that they take than the road that I suspect we would had to take in order for Saban to stay and become a fixture at MSU. Coach D and his staff seem to fit in with the landscape much better than I could ever imagine NS doing.

All of that said I'm not blind. Nick is the best in the business and at any point in the past decade and a half since he left, I would have had him back in a heartbeat. Today, though, after this dream season I would take Coach D over Saban at MSU, no fucks given.

Saban seemed to accept MSU would be number 2 in the state to UM and never seemed to want to challenge that head on. Such a difference to MD who wanted to take UM right on and overtake the state the day he was hired.
Three_Putt_Par
Three_Putt_Par
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-07-20, 05:07

WCS wrote:

Saban was the first choice and they were worried they couldn't get him.

In the process, you interview others. Saban was always wanted. He wasn't a plan C guy.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-07-20, 05:12

ErnieMcCracken wrote:Everyone knows you lie Duffy. MSU wins the Rose and you have nothing better to do than smear. .

The fukc?

Wolverine boy has lost it. So angry that MSU has become big ten champs. We'll wait for that first loss and count the threads you start or if Gardner has a good game how you'll tell us how great he is. You're so transparent.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-07-20, 09:32

ErnieMcCracken wrote:Everyone knows you lie Duffy. MSU wins the Rose and you have nothing better to do than smear. The reason being is the football program has passed you by. Your definition of success is Perles. The DEs has taken the program beyond the mediocre heights you set.

lol! Lie about what ?

How has the program "passed me by ". ?

The funniest part of your post is you actually believe DE's ( and especially you ) have any effect on the program.

Carry on, Walvie.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by green night 2014-07-20, 09:51

Dwags - Change the title ... don't trash McPherson, if you need to trash someone, trash DiBiaggio ... he was horrible in everything he did. Besides that you have his named spelled wrong.

I was there from 90-94 and 97 and 98. Going from DiBiaggio to McPherson was the best thing MSU did in my lifetime. Love LAKS and she's even better and taking it / took it to the next level.
green night
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-07-20, 09:53

WCS wrote:

Are you saying Saban isn't/wasn't a good coach?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-07-20, 09:58

WCS wrote:

You are saying (again) that Saban wasn't a good coach? This is an interesting angle.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by green night 2014-07-20, 10:12

I'm not WCS but Saban was a good coach during his tenure but not great. He did some good things and players played hard and the team was almost always ready.

The flipside thought is the Purdue game and several other smaller meltdowns ... we had the bowl games where the team played tighter than a new drum. He didn't believe in building a program for the future ... he played to win now, didn't redshirt many kids ... remember blowing Ryan VanDyke's redshirt ... that was terrible.
green night
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-07-20, 10:20

At what point do people believe MSU was going to hire Osborne away from Nebraska? That is the stuff pipe dreams are made of.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by green night 2014-07-20, 10:25

Turtleneck wrote:At what point do people believe MSU was going to hire Osborne away from Nebraska? That is the stuff pipe dreams are made of.

Yea, that's my thought too. But I do remember that there were some light rumors that he was unhappy and had a real interest in the MSU job.
green night
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-07-20, 10:34

green night wrote:I'm not WCS but Saban was a good coach during his tenure but not great.  He did some good things and players played hard and the team was almost always ready.  

The flipside thought is the Purdue game and several other smaller meltdowns ... we had the bowl games where the team played tighter than a new drum.   He didn't believe in building a program for the future ... he played to win now, didn't redshirt many kids ... remember blowing Ryan VanDyke's redshirt ... that was terrible.  

Not sure he could afford to redshirt kids.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rod Porkmore 2014-07-20, 10:57

green night wrote:I'm not WCS but Saban was a good coach during his tenure but not great.  He did some good things and players played hard and the team was almost always ready.  

The flipside thought is the Purdue game and several other smaller meltdowns ... we had the bowl games where the team played tighter than a new drum.   He didn't believe in building a program for the future ....he played to win now, didn't redshirt many kids ... remember blowing Ryan VanDyke's redshirt ... that was terrible.  

He did the same thing at LSU and now at Alabama. The only difference is that players he is recruiting now are damn near NFL ready when they arrive on campus.
Rod Porkmore
Rod Porkmore
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by green night 2014-07-20, 11:16

NigelUno wrote:

Coach D was in a very similar spot ... he redshirts when in doubt. As Rob Porkmore said, Saban plays to win now without any regard to the future ... if that hurts the kid long term, so be it. VanDyke should have had a 5th year and MSU would have been much better for it. A 5th year would have been good for the kid ... likely would have been drafted. But that's just one example ... 1/2 of his classes were played as true freshman.
green night
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-07-20, 11:18

green night wrote:Dwags - Change the title ... don't trash McPherson, if you need to trash someone, trash DiBiaggio ... he was horrible in everything he did. Besides that you have his named spelled wrong.

I was there from 90-94 and 97 and 98. Going from DiBiaggio to McPherson was the best thing MSU did in my lifetime. Love LAKS and she's even better and taking it / took it to the next level.

On mobile now. I agree that he was better, much better, then the dentist, but don't kid yourself. He wasn't great and LAKS didn't see the light until the OSU game in JLS last year.

Porteous called the come to Jesus meeting right in the press box. There were a couple pissed off trustees and ex dignitaries that saw Spartan stadium become Columbus north and said enough was enough.

Choosing between McPhearson and the dentist is a no brainier, but go back to when Dantonio came in. Who was at the presets what was said. We decided as an institution then we weren't going to give our football coach a ford focus to race ferraris anymore.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-07-20, 11:22

NigelUno wrote:

And he wanted lower standards for juncos that he wasn't going to get from McPhearson or his provost
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-07-20, 11:42

green night wrote:

Coach D was in a very similar spot ... he redshirts when in doubt.   As Rob Porkmore said, Saban plays to win now without any regard to the future ... if that hurts the kid long term, so be it.  VanDyke should have had a 5th year and MSU would have been much better for it.  A 5th year would have been good for the kid ... likely would have been drafted.   But that's just one example ... 1/2 of his classes were played as true freshman.  

Ideally you play the skill positions if talented enough, and redshirt the linemen. Bama plays kids right away because the good ones end up leaving after 3 years. No reason to sit them.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-07-20, 12:02

This thread is proof that the swill is a healthy MSU message board. It features UofM obsession, a walverine troll, and a revisit of the nick saban era at MSU with everyone's take on what really happened. This place is headed in the right direction. Now carry on.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard 2014-07-20, 14:24

I don't care what happened, nor would I have any useful takes on what happened in the past. It's about what's happening now. We're winning. So much.
Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Punisher98 2014-07-20, 23:08

ErnieMcCracken wrote:Everyone knows you lie Duffy. MSU wins the Rose and you have nothing better to do than smear. The reason being is the football program has passed you by. Your definition of success is Perles. The DEs has taken the program beyond the mediocre heights you set.

Lol at you patting yourself on the back. You fucking quit on the team after the Notre Dame loss and predicted losing to any good team we would play. You ridiculed anyone who didn't put their tail between their legs and give up and now you act like you have anything to do with MSU and Dantonios success? The same guy you were labeling as clueless early in 2013 is now a person you support? Which is it?

Enjoy Michigans 8-5 season coward. Nobody wants you on the bandwagon.
Punisher98
Punisher98
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-07-20, 23:57

Punisher98 wrote:

Lol at you patting yourself on the back. You fucking quit on the team after the Notre Dame loss and predicted losing to any good team we would play. You ridiculed anyone who didn't put their tail between their legs and give up and now you act like you have anything to do with MSU and Dantonios success? The same guy you were labeling as clueless early in 2013 is now a person you support? Which is it?

Enjoy Michigans 8-5 season coward. Nobody wants you on the bandwagon.

cheers 
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RogueLeader 2014-07-21, 11:10

WCS wrote:

Ahh shit Duffy's ass getting lit on fire.
RogueLeader
RogueLeader
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-07-21, 12:13

RogueLeader wrote:

Ahh shit Duffy's ass getting lit on fire.

Hi Tanner.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RogueLeader 2014-07-21, 12:42

duffy munn wrote:

Hi Tanner.

Duffy your ass couldn't run a 2 car funeral. Btw it isn't Tanner because we all know you 're giving him bj'ers whenever he wants.
RogueLeader
RogueLeader
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-07-21, 12:54

DWags wrote:

Accept as horrible as this sounds-- I was working summer camps with that staff and knew them pretty well ( I know roll eyes throw up) and I will bet on my family I know what was asked - including asking our provost (hmmmmm who was that at the time?) for a track of classes for athletes.  Heck I still think I could give you a pretty accurate list.  

I accept that it sounds horrible.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2014-07-21, 13:15

DWags wrote:

Accept as horrible as this sounds-- I was working summer camps with that staff and knew them pretty well ( I know roll eyes throw up) and I will bet on my family I know what was asked - including asking our provost (hmmmmm who was that at the time?) for a track of classes for athletes.  Heck I still think I could give you a pretty accurate list.  

Exceptance is a beautiful thing.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-07-21, 14:33

RogueLeader wrote:

Duffy your ass couldn't run a 2 car funeral. Btw it isn't Tanner because we all know you 're giving him bj'ers whenever he wants.

If you say so, Save A Lot Spartan.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-07-21, 14:57

tTito wrote:

Exceptance is a beautiful thing.

fuckers.  UofM's new Prez sounds like McPhearson - Page 2 2809484752 
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-07-21, 14:58

RogueLeader wrote:

Wow, you sound angry and bitter.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazySparty 2014-07-21, 15:40

Shocked 
CrazySparty
CrazySparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next