Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greg Montgomery apparently passed away

+4
steveschneider
tGreenWay
Floyd Robertson
WhiteBoyHatcher
8 posters

Go down

Greg Montgomery apparently passed away Empty Greg Montgomery apparently passed away

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-08-26, 09:54

RIP. I read it on Rivals, they are saying it is on Mark Nichols FB page. I guess he suffered from some mental issues and this was apparently a suicide. Just wanted you guys to know as I haven't seen it mentioned here. Sad.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Greg Montgomery apparently passed away Empty Re: Greg Montgomery apparently passed away

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-08-26, 10:16

RIP. I only remember him for his prodigious leg. I found this article from 2007 and learned a bit more.

Where are they now? -- Greg Montgomery
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Greg Montgomery apparently passed away Empty Re: Greg Montgomery apparently passed away

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-26, 10:17

WTF? Helluva Spartan. He was a big contributor on teams that brought a lot of smiles to EL. RIP.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-08-26, 10:33

Damn, that is sad. Very upsetting to see this I remember seeing him play as a kid.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-08-26, 11:35

That sucks. RIP.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2020-08-26, 12:10

I met Greg Montgomery's parents several years ago.  His father had said Greg had developed physical problems related to punting (and punting at practice) that forced him to retire earlier than his son had intended. He also alluded to adjusting to life after football was a challenge to go from football to an outside job.

Montgomery's death was posted on the RCMB by a mutual aquaintance and then this was posted by a new poster:

I've been Greg's friend since Kindergarten. Greg has been taking care of my home living there. He is gone. He is at Peace now. Yes Greg did take his own life. That's all I can say about it. He loved all you guys who knew and played with him. His Bi-Polar did overcome his mind. He has been coaching pvt students from kids to college lol. He was good. As Monty would say "It's all good". My condolences to everyone here who had a connection with him. Peace always"

Here's a link to a Baltimore Sun article about Montgomery and his struggles with being bipolar from 1997.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1997-12-18-1997352066-story.html

I know and have known people including a close relative who struggle with bipolar disorder..  If you seek treatment it can be  better while others (unfortunately including the relative) opt not to be treated because they don't like medication side effects, are willing to trade off the horrendous depression lows for the euphoria they get from the highs or they just get tired of the routine of the required constant treatment.

Greg Mongomery was in his 50's.  His bipolar disorder had been diagnosed when he was in his 30's.  It would appear that he couldn't face the lows any more although he was getting some help and was interacting with people thru tutoring thru his knowledge of punting. That's a tragedy for his family and friends.

Last edited by GRR Spartan on 2020-08-26, 21:00; edited 1 time in total
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2020-08-26, 12:26

I have to wonder if any of his problems were related CTE.  Obviously he was diagnosed as bipolar, but that diagnosis was before CTE was linked to football.  I realize that Montgomery was a punter, but he was a linebacker in HS.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-08-26, 13:10

Thanks for sharing GR Spartan. May he Rest In Peace.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-26, 13:20

RIP. CTE?

Only time I remember it was kind of cool not making a first down. Was anybody at his 86 yard punt?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down