Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the social dilemma on netflix

+12
DWags
Floyd Robertson
Rocinante
CORNER BLITZ
Cameron
Turtleneck
Travis of the Cosmos
AvgMSUJoe
steveschneider
Watch Out Pylon!
kingstonlake
Other Teams Pursuing That
16 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

the social dilemma on netflix  Empty the social dilemma on netflix

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-09-16, 02:38

Truly a must watch and hits a lot of the issues we see in our daily life, whether it’s on a message board like the swill or at the dinner table.

Tell your friends, family, anyone to watch.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

the social dilemma on netflix  Empty Re: the social dilemma on netflix

Post by kingstonlake 2020-09-16, 05:16

Been hearing about this from friends. Will watch.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-09-16, 08:50

I don't see anything changing for the good any time soon. Kids today are truly fucked when it comes to social media.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-09-16, 09:02

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:I don't see anything changing for the good any time soon. Kids today are truly fucked when it comes to social media.

I mean i feel like it’s already “fucked” us but is only probably going to get worse.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-09-16, 09:11

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:I don't see anything changing for the good any time soon. Kids today are truly fucked when it comes to social media.

I mean i feel like it’s already “fucked” us but is only probably going to get worse.

Oh yeah, exactly. I'm freaked out that my kid's self worth will revolve around how many likes a picture gets. I loathe the day she wants to get a smart phone/watch/whatever the fuck kids will be using to connect in 6/7 years.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-09-16, 09:33

Solid recommend. Just going off the takes here I recall seeing an article in 60 Minutes with former Silicon Valley employees and they warned of the addictions and the dangers of social media. Fuck computers.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-09-16, 09:55

It's not all kids... actually I would venture to say 95% of the red hats are afflicted with these issues.

Kids these days are actually born into this crap... maybe they can put a "like" and "feed" into perspective when old people can't.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-09-16, 09:56

Honestly, I think they’ll be better prepared to handle it given that it’s been a fact of existence their entire lives when compared to the folks who are thrust into a internet world of bullshit after spending their first 50 years not having to wonder if a video they just saw on their phone was edited by a 16 year old in Thailand.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-09-16, 09:57

He got me by 1 minute while I was trying to think of which country I wanted to pick on. Fuck.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-09-16, 10:03

Maybe. I just don't think getting sucked in to whatever then next big social media platform will be during formative years will be a good thing.

Maybe I'm just an old man yelling at clouds.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-09-16, 10:04

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:He got me by 1 minute while I was trying to think of which country I wanted to pick on. Fuck.
Canada is closest... default go to. Get ya every time in the message board posting game.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-09-16, 10:08

I tried to watch it, but could not be on Twitter and watch it at the same time. It required too much focus. I need to be distracted from my distractions.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-09-16, 10:13

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:He got me by 1 minute while I was trying to think of which country I wanted to pick on. Fuck.
Canada is closest... default go to. Get ya every time in the message board posting game.

I was trying to be creative. I didn’t want to go with the boring standard boogie men like Russia
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-09-16, 10:26

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Maybe. I just don't think getting sucked in to whatever then next big social media platform will be during formative years will be a good thing.

Maybe I'm just an old man yelling at clouds.

the documentary kind of addresses the "we will figure it out" crowd.. I mean I get that argument to an extent, but their point is nothing in history has grown this fast so it's really hard to compare
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-09-16, 10:27

Turtleneck wrote:I tried to watch it, but could not be on Twitter and watch it at the same time. It required too much focus. I need to be distracted from my distractions.

Didn't you suggest a book with a similar message? something with twitter and activism?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-09-16, 11:07

Turtleneck wrote:I tried to watch it, but could not be on Twitter and watch it at the same time. It required too much focus. I need to be distracted from my distractions.

Didn't you suggest a book with a similar message? something with twitter and activism?

Twitter and Teargas. Good book. It's about the mobilization of social movements and protest via digital technologies, and how tech has reshaped movements and protest. We see a lot of relevance right now to the ongoing protests in the U.S.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-09-16, 13:07

steveschneider wrote:Solid recommend. Just going off the takes here I recall seeing an article in 60 Minutes with former Silicon Valley employees and they warned of the addictions and the dangers of social media.  Fuck computers.
Yeah, like mouthwash chugging failures not being able to peel themselves away from tBin for a single solitary week.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-09-17, 22:36

Just finished watching it. Thanks for the suggestion.

One thing I found ironic about the film was how it was on Netflix which is a platform fighting for your attention, has the algorithms and all that and the format of the film was very seductive itself...all the actors were thin body types, great looking people, there was careful editing to hold your attention, a soundtrack that was either relaxing or anxiety inducing and so on. I thought the message over all was powerful and spot on.

Watching the addiction in the dramatic sections of the doc were depressing. I gotta revisit the book at some point but I feel like Infinite Jest touched upon some of the themes in the film (loneliness, addiction, media) way back in the 90's. Thanks again for the recommendation.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-09-18, 01:03

I know this movie is fake because they don't even mention that the lock-down has been to replace batteries in all the "birds"

I also feel like I missed out on pizzagate. Like I vaguely remember some talk on here, but outside of that have no recollection and that looks like some good internet

CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-09-18, 01:22

steveschneider wrote:Just finished watching it. Thanks for the suggestion.

One thing I found ironic about the film was how it was on Netflix which is a platform fighting for your attention, has the algorithms and all that and the format of the film was very seductive itself...all the actors were thin body types, great looking people, there was careful editing to hold your attention, a soundtrack that was either relaxing or anxiety inducing and so on. I thought the message over all was powerful and spot on.

Watching the addiction in the dramatic sections of the doc were depressing. I gotta revisit the book at some point but I feel like Infinite Jest touched upon some of the themes in the film (loneliness, addiction, media) way back in the 90's. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Hope you enjoyed it, Steve. I learned a lot from it.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-09-18, 07:03

steveschneider wrote:Just finished watching it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hope you enjoyed it, Steve. I learned a lot from it.

Definitely enjoyed it and I learned a lot as well.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-09-18, 07:21

CORNER BLITZ wrote:I know this movie is fake because they don't even mention that the lock-down has been to replace batteries in all the "birds"

I also feel like I missed out on pizzagate. Like I vaguely remember some talk on here, but outside of that have no recollection and that looks like some good internet

It’s really not too late but it’s really not good internet
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-09-18, 09:35

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:I know this movie is fake because they don't even mention that the lock-down has been to replace batteries in all the "birds"

It’s really not too late but it’s really not good internet

From pizzagate to Qanon. Both are crazy shit.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-09-18, 09:37

Btw I permanently deleted a fb account after that film. They make it hard to find and when you do delete it they make you feel like you are destroying a photo album of family pics. Also, they give you thirty days to log back in if you change your mind. Very manipulative.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-09-18, 09:41

steveschneider wrote:Btw I permanently deleted a fb account after that film. They make it hard to find and when you do delete it they make you feel like you are destroying a photo album of family pics. Also, they give you thirty days to log back in if you change your mind. Very manipulative.

"A facebook account"?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-09-18, 11:47

It's not only right... the echo chamber is on the (actual) far left too... I have a sister who is boycotting Spotify and constantly preaching about everyone being as "anti-racist" as her because her echo chamber serves up these "controversies" she should be outraged over.
It's both the red hats and the cancel culture being amplified with these "social" issues.
(BTW, Im supposed to hate Harry Potter because JK Rowling had the nerve to say people born with a vagina are women, or some shit.)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-09-18, 12:52

AvgMSUJoe wrote:It's not only right... the echo chamber is on the (actual) far left too... I have a sister who is boycotting Spotify and constantly preaching about everyone being as "anti-racist" as her because her echo chamber serves up these "controversies" she should be outraged over.
It's both the red hats and the cancel culture being amplified with these "social" issues.
(BTW, Im supposed to hate Harry Potter because JK Rowling had the nerve to say people born with a vagina are women, or some shit.)

What controversies, joe?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-09-18, 12:59

AvgMSUJoe wrote:It's not only right... the echo chamber is on the (actual) far left too... I have a sister who is boycotting Spotify and constantly preaching about everyone being as "anti-racist" as her because her echo chamber serves up these "controversies" she should be outraged over.

Yep. One big endless poisonous cycle.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-09-18, 13:04

Rocinante wrote:

What controversies, joe?
He already gave the JK Rowling example. She's a vile TERF because she calls "people who menstruate" "women" instead.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-09-18, 13:14

Cameron wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

What controversies, joe?
He already gave the JK Rowling example. She's a vile TERF because she calls "people who menstruate" "women" instead.

Well there's a new one I hadn't heard before.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-09-18, 13:18

What’s a terf
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-09-18, 13:21

Trans exclusionary radical feminist
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-09-18, 13:30

Whatever that means.

I think it’s possible to be both supportive of the trans community and question the safety of hormone treatments for children, BUT it’s not her place to decide. That would be my only beef with her, and honestly she, like so many others, needs to fucking log off like yesterday. Social media is the devil.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-09-18, 13:31

I think Spotify is because Joe Rogan is similarly trans "opinionated".

(Don't know the details)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-09-18, 13:35

Did joe rogan create spotify
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-09-18, 13:41

Lol, I guess I'll throw away my TV because Fox News is one of the channels.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-09-18, 13:42

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Did joe rogan create spotify
He is Spotify exclusive.

Same with Netflix... that's bad because of a french release that sexualizes girls or something.

& If you aren't similarly outraged you are lacking.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-09-18, 13:45

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Did joe rogan create spotify
He is Spotify exclusive.

Same with Netflix... that's bad because of a french release that sexualizes girls or something.

& If you aren't similarly outraged you are lacking.

Reminds me of people shooting their Yeti coolers or something.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-09-18, 14:01

AvgMSUJoe wrote:I think Spotify is because Joe Rogan is similarly trans "opinionated".

(Don't know the details)
Joe has expressed some non-PC thoughts when discussing Fallon Fox, a trans MMA fighter.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-09-18, 14:23

Cameron wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:I think Spotify is because Joe Rogan is similarly trans "opinionated".

(Don't know the details)
Joe has expressed some non-PC thoughts when discussing Fallon Fox, a trans MMA fighter.

He also had a lady on that said we shouldn't chop off kids dicks or give them hormones to switch a gender till they're 18
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next