Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gonna get ugly in L’ville tonight.

+13
steveschneider
The Pantry
WhiteBoyHatcher
tGreenWay
InTenSity
MattyFresh
MSU addict
Robert J Sakimano
Rocinante
CORNER BLITZ
Cameron
AvgMSUJoe
DWags
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gonna get ugly in L’ville tonight.  Empty Gonna get ugly in L’ville tonight.

Post by DWags 2020-09-23, 14:51

Nobody gets charged for a death. Wow.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Gonna get ugly in L’ville tonight.  Empty Re: Gonna get ugly in L’ville tonight.

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-09-23, 15:03

Not even manslaughter?
Yikes.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Gonna get ugly in L’ville tonight.  Empty Re: Gonna get ugly in L’ville tonight.

Post by Cameron 2020-09-23, 15:30

Unsurprising and infuriating.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Dendrobates likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-09-23, 15:33

Did you think it was going to be different?

What should have happened?
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-09-23, 15:44

Breonna Taylor: Police officer charged but not over death

Mr Mattingly wrote an email on Saturday to more than 1,000 colleagues in which he criticised city leaders and protesters.

"Regardless of the outcome today or Wednesday, I know we did the legal, moral and ethical thing that night," he wrote in the message, which was published by media outlets on Tuesday.

"It's sad how the good guys are demonised, and the criminals are canonised."

"Your civil rights mean nothing," he added, "but the criminal has total autonomy."

Mattingly is one of the officers involved, the one who got shot by Breonna Taylor's boyfriend when he thought someone was breaking in. I don't even really know what to say about his thoughts, but it shows how far apart the two poles are on this one...
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-09-23, 15:47

As I posted on the bin, where this should be:

The deaths were the result of really shitty police work in this case, not institutional racism. It’s a fucked up situation, that neither Breonna Taylor, nor her boyfriend should have been in, she had moved on from the thug she was dating (that the cops were looking for) and was getting her shit together. The cops didn’t know that. They should have.

The cops/national guard/ governor need to give people the space to feel some kind of way. And they need to get in front of violence by keeping the “lawmen” on a short leash and talking honestly and openly about what went down.

Do I think it will happen? Fuck. No. But I wish it would.

To add to that, these guys shouldn’t be criminally charged but the city should get fucked in civil court.

Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-09-23, 15:58

the MAGA christian white supremacists are already there with their assault rifles to provoke violence and film campaign commercials.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2020-09-23, 19:15

Rocinante wrote:As I posted on the bin, where this should be:

The deaths were the result of really shitty police work in this case, not institutional racism. It’s a fucked up situation, that neither Breonna Taylor, nor her boyfriend should have been in, she had moved on from the thug she was dating (that the cops were looking for) and was getting her shit together. The cops didn’t know that. They should have.

The cops/national guard/ governor need to give people the space to feel some kind of way. And they need to get in front of violence by keeping the “lawmen” on a short leash and talking honestly and openly about what went down.

Do I think it will happen? Fuck. No. But I wish it would.

To add to that, these guys shouldn’t be criminally charged but the city should get fucked in civil court.  
The civil case has already been settled for $12 million in addition to agreed upon police reforms.

It is a fucked up case.  The guys executing the warrant and who fired the shots were not really part of the investigation.  I think it is pretty clear that the warrant should never have been issued.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2020-09-23, 20:05

The whole idea of how the settlement works is still weird to me. Isn't it pretty fucked up the biggest penalty comes at the expense of the city taxpayers? I don't know what the alternative would be but as it is.... it's off.
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2020-09-23, 20:31

MattyFresh wrote:The whole idea of how the settlement works is still weird to me. Isn't it pretty fucked up the biggest penalty comes at the expense of the city taxpayers? I don't know what the alternative would be but as it is.... it's off.
Start taking it out of the police pension. Let's see if killing people makes them think about their wallets first.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

MattyFresh likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-09-23, 20:38

Pensions would be at zero with the millions of people they hunt down every day
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-09-23, 21:02

The one thing that still bugs me is the officers say they announced themselves multiple times but all but one witness says they didn’t. There’s no body cam footage, but is there nothing? No recordings of any sort?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

MSU addict likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-09-25, 17:54

DWags wrote:Nobody gets charged for a death.  Wow.

burn it down  Gonna get ugly in L’ville tonight.  3493939353  Gonna get ugly in L’ville tonight.  3493939353
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-09-25, 18:06

I bet the person who shot the Louisville cops gets charged with something.

Also, they're still alive.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2020-09-25, 20:03

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
DWags wrote:Nobody gets charged for a death.  Wow.

burn it down  Gonna get ugly in L’ville tonight.  3493939353  Gonna get ugly in L’ville tonight.  3493939353
That is an interesting video, but biased. 

One of the biggest issues in the case centers around if they announced themselves as police officers.  The police said they did, Kenneth Walker says they did not.  The video shows the DA stating that an independent witness says they did.  That witness (according to attorney Steven Romines) when first interviewed by police said they did not announce.  He stated in his second interview that they did not announce.  Only on his third interview did he say they announced.   

The video (and the DA) fail to mention that three or four other independent witness claim they did not.  Breonna Taylor's attorney says he has 11 witness who will state they did not.  The NYT interviewed 12 neighbors only one said they thought the police announced, but they couldn't be sure.  

What bothers me - why on earth is there no body cam footage?  Objectively, shouldn't be required when breaking down a door?

The video makes a strong case for issuing the warrant based on the connection between the car, Jamarcus Glover and Breonna Taylor.  It fails to point out that car had not been seen at Breonna Taylor's apartment for two months when the warrant was requested.  The house was under constant surveillance, the police know this and they know that Glover was not inside.  

There were a lot of errors in the warrant process including one outright lie in what they were told by a postal inspector.  

There is a good opinion article in the Washington Post about it, but I am sure it is behind a paywall.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/09/24/correcting-misinformation-about-breonna-taylor/

Last edited by MSU addict on 2020-09-27, 08:56; edited 1 time in total
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Cameron and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-09-25, 20:07

Rocinante wrote:The one thing that still bugs me is the officers say they announced themselves multiple times but all but one witness says they didn’t. There’s no body cam footage, but is there nothing? No recordings of any sort?

And IIRC, that one witness says there was noise, but didn’t say s/he specifically heard police announce themselves. I’m just glad the drywall is getting justice.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

MattyFresh likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2020-09-25, 20:41

Cops good all the time. Citizens expendable. People of color very expendable.
Must save law.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-09-25, 22:45

Gonna get ugly in L’ville tonight.  502811600 How many cops in your family, CB?

I don't know what to do about this case. I'm not an attorney. It fucking sucks, though and someone needlessly died with no one held accountable. I certainly don't blame the bf for doing what he did. I would do the same if someone was barging into my house.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-09-25, 23:30

0 and going to need Steve to let me know if getting info from one attorney leads to a bias

The lawyer I shared leans hard the same as the board. Purposely didn't share the ones that go Pantry's way
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-09-26, 00:16

CORNER BLITZ wrote:0 and going to need Steve to let me know if getting info from one attorney leads to a bias

The lawyer I shared leans hard the same as the board. Purposely didn't share the ones that go Pantry's way

Shame on you for not sharing all the time.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-09-26, 02:09

tGreenWay wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:0 and going to need Steve to let me know if getting info from one attorney leads to a bias

Trigger warning: there's 1 ?hard? right dude, a dude that says he was a libertarian, and a Canadian talking with the guy on the left that's extremely biased as a lawyer not involved with the case

Edit: they only talk BT the first 40ish minutes, after that its SCOTUS.
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-09-26, 03:42

wow. WTF prompted that?

Pretty amazing what people think they know.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2020-09-26, 09:14

What makes you say that "Nate the Lawyer" leans hard toward liberal?

He is not a major you tube presence with less than 15,000 subscribers so there is not much about him other than what he has posted.  Based on a quick review of his videos I would say he is at least moderately conservative. 

According to his you tube channel he is both a former prosecuting attorney and law enforcement officer.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-09-26, 11:41

MSU addict wrote:

He is not a major you tube presence with less than 15,000 subscribers so there is not much about him other than what he has posted.  Based on a quick review of his videos I would say he is at least moderately conservative. 

According to his you tube channel he is both a former prosecuting attorney and law enforcement officer.

Perhaps hard was extra since it mostly compares to that Barnes guy. But he's said himself multiple times on multiple streams with viva/barnes/uncivilized that he's on the left

His channel schtick is presenting info and past trials/precedent that judgements are based off then having "you decide" what you think after that - so he doesn't talk much left vs right on his channel it just comes up in the free flow lawyer streams

And apologies to pantry if he's not further right than most of the political stuff that leaks into the main board
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-09-26, 12:13

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Trigger warning: there's 1 ?hard? right dude, a dude that says he was a libertarian, and a Canadian talking with the guy on the left that's extremely biased as a lawyer not involved with the case

Edit: they only talk BT the first 40ish minutes, after that its SCOTUS.

Stay off Youtube CornerBlitz!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-09-26, 12:16

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Gonna get ugly in L’ville tonight.  502811600 How many cops in your family, CB?

I don't know what to do about this case. I'm not an attorney. It fucking sucks, though and someone needlessly died with no one held accountable. I certainly don't blame the bf for doing what he did. I would do the same if someone was barging into my house.

I agree, I also can see the cops POV if they thought the guy they were after was firing guns at them.

I think my take is the whole no knock warrant thing is fucked up and seems incredibly dangerous for all parties involved.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2020-09-26, 12:21

I did a pretty deep dive in this last night. This story has a bad enough without people trying to make it worse.

The police were at the correct apartment, they had a warrant because they followed several drug/money deliveries to that address.

Kenneth Walker fired at police first and struck one of them before they returned fire.

There is debate to whether or not they announced themselves when entering.

Breonna Taylor was not asleep in her bed when she was shot, she was in the hallway.

That being said, it was a horrible horrible event and she should not have been killed, but the uproar and the narrative surrounding this do not match the actual events.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2020-09-26, 12:30

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
MSU addict wrote:

Perhaps hard was extra since it mostly compares to that Barnes guy. But he's said himself multiple times on multiple streams with viva/barnes/uncivilized that he's on the left

His channel schtick is presenting info and past trials/precedent that judgements are based off then having "you decide" what you think after that - so he doesn't talk much left vs right on his channel it just comes up in the free flow lawyer streams

And apologies to pantry if he's not further right than most of the political stuff that leaks into the main board
I heard him say that he leans left, but the evidence seems to be to the contrary.  Certainly he is to the left of hard core conservatives, but left of center - not so much.  If you look at the comments on his videos, his audience definitely does not skew liberal. 

The obvious problem with his "you decide" schtick is that he asks you to decide based on the facts as he presents them.  And while those facts may be true - they are quite biased.  He is certainly not presenting all of the known relevant facts and then asking you to decide.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-09-26, 12:30

Motown Spartan wrote:I did a pretty deep dive in this last night. This story has a bad enough without people trying to make it worse.

The police were at the correct apartment, they had a warrant because they followed several drug/money deliveries to that address.

Kenneth Walker fired at police first and struck one of them before they returned fire.

Breonna Taylor was not asleep in her bed when she was shot, she was in the hallway.

That being said, it was a horrible horrible event and she should not have been killed, but the uproar and the narrative surrounding this do not match the actual events.

Mostly agree, but isn't there something off about the timing of the warrant? Like it had been 3 months since she had contact with the ex or something? And also why do they need to execute a no knock warrant for someone who is potentially involved in a non violent secondary role in drug distribution? Let alone at 12 AM? That is the fucked up part. Why not just execute a regular ol' warrant when she gets home from work?

But yeah really sad fucked up situation. And body cams should be a requirement, everywhere, all the time.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-09-26, 12:38

The selective nature in which some people blindly trust to government is mind-boggling, though not at all surprising.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2020-09-26, 12:45

steveschneider wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Gonna get ugly in L’ville tonight.  502811600 How many cops in your family, CB?

I agree, I also can see the cops POV if they thought the guy they were after was firing guns at them.

I think my take is the whole no knock warrant thing is fucked up and seems incredibly dangerous for all parties involved.
Personally, I believe no knock warrants are sometimes needed, but their usage needs to be tightly controlled.  There was absolutely no need for a no knock warrant in this situation (especially since her ex was already in police custody). 

It is further complicated by the fact that the police did not really do a no knock entry.  Objectively it seems they pounded on the door for 30-40 seconds then broke in but did not announce themselves as police.

And again I ask (it may be rhetorical) why weren't the police wearing body cameras?

Last edited by MSU addict on 2020-09-26, 13:04; edited 1 time in total
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2020-09-26, 12:49

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:I did a pretty deep dive in this last night. This story has a bad enough without people trying to make it worse.

Mostly agree, but isn't there something off about the timing of the warrant? Like it had been 3 months since she had contact with the ex or something? And also why do they need to execute a no knock warrant for someone who is potentially involved in a non violent secondary role in drug distribution? Let alone at 12 AM? That is the fucked up part. Why not just execute a regular ol' warrant when she gets home from work?

But yeah really sad fucked up situation. And body cams should be a requirement, everywhere, all the time.

You’re absolutely correct. And that’s why it doesn’t need to be sensationalized to be worse than it already is.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-09-26, 12:58

MSU addict wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:

I heard him say that he leans left, but the evidence seems to be to the contrary.  Certainly he is to the left of hard core conservatives, but left of center - not so much.  If you look at the comments on his videos, his audience definitely does not skew liberal. 

The obvious problem with his "you decide" schtick is that he asks you to decide based on the facts as he presents them.  And while those facts may be true - they are quite biased.  He is certainly not presenting all of the known relevant facts and then asking you to decide.

He's said multiple times in multiple streams he's on the left. If you want to go with people in his comment section by all means go with that. He states more facts than you hear from a 20 second Twitter clip that sets the world on fire, is it everything....probably not since I would assume he's not doing any of them on cases he's actually working on but you'll get a better idea getting into from a variety of sources

My biggest questions from watching those couple streams would be why change and knock when you didn't have to? It's not like cops knock calmly and if you think you're coming upon a drug ring banging after midnight is probably going to end poorly. Add on it sounds like it was just those 3 guys...seems odd to be that small
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2020-09-26, 13:02

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

It was about two months.  Her ex picked up a package there on January 16 - which was apparently shoes that he did not want sent to the drug house as he felt they would be stolen.  He was also there on January 6.  She died on March 13. 

Her apartment was under police camera surveillance the whole time.  They know he has not been there since picking up the package.  He was also in police custody at the time they executed the warrant.

There was no objective need to execute the warrant when and how they did.  And she is dead because of that.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2020-09-26, 13:14

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
MSU addict wrote:

He's said multiple times in multiple streams he's on the left. If you want to go with people in his comment section by all means go with that. He states more facts than you hear from a 20 second Twitter clip that sets the world on fire, is it everything....probably not since I would assume he's not doing any of them on cases he's actually working on but you'll get a better idea getting into from a variety of sources.
He may feel he is left leaning, and for a former prosecutor and law enforcement officer that may be true.  Again, based on what he has posted, I do not feel that is true.

I agree he presents more facts than you usually get - BUT - if he is garnering that level of knowledge he is certainly aware of the contrary evidence and is choosing not to present it.  Fine - but don't present it as "you decide" then because that is simply hypocritical.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2020-09-26, 13:28

Not to beat a dead horse, but there is no evidence of drugs or drug money having been at her address.  The police found none after executing the warrant.  The warrant request quotes a postal inspector as saying suspicious packages have been delivered there, but the postal inspector has adamantly maintained that he never said that.

Her ex boyfriend was a drug dealer, yes she knew this.

I am not sure where the wrong address and died in her bed things came from.  My guess is speculative rumor, but they were reported.  But they do not appear to have originated with the police or her family/attorney.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-09-26, 13:28

Again if a quick glance view of headlines and comments is all you need to discredit that's cool
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2020-09-26, 13:40

CORNER BLITZ wrote:Again if a quick glance view of headlines and comments is all you need to discredit that's cool
Again - that is simply not true.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2020-09-26, 13:56

MSU addict wrote:

Not to beat a dead horse, but there is no evidence of drugs or drug money having been at her address.  The police found none after executing the warrant.  The warrant request quotes a postal inspector as saying suspicious packages have been delivered there, but the postal inspector has adamantly maintained that he never said that.

Her ex boyfriend was a drug dealer, yes she knew this.

I am not sure where the wrong address and died in her bed things came from.  My guess is speculative rumor, but they were reported.  But they do not appear to have originated with the police or her family/attorney.

Like I said earlier, no need to sensationalize it to make it worse than it already is.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-09-26, 14:11

MSU addict wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:Again if a quick glance view of headlines and comments is all you need to discredit that's cool
Again - that is simply not true.

You're right. You only said you did a quick glance of his page and some comments, but it's not what you say it's what you feel
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next