Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial First Ever Second Impeachment Trial Thread

+12
Rocinante
Heat Miser
Cameron
tGreenWay
Floyd Robertson
AvgMSUJoe
Turtleneck
kingstonlake
DWags
steveschneider
Robert J Sakimano
MiamiSpartan
16 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

tOfficial First Ever Second Impeachment Trial Thread Empty tOfficial First Ever Second Impeachment Trial Thread

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue 9 Feb 2021 - 14:15

Yeah, I know, there's nothing to say. He wont be convicted, so there is no suspense. But still another big historical moment.

The video that Raskin opened with was perfect and well put together. Search Josh Campbell on twitter if you missed it and want to see it.

Then Neguse's argument on the precedent and constitutionality of holding this trial after Trump left office just destroyed the nonsense claims to the contrary, based on the words and actions of the Founders themselves.

It is a shame, however, that all of these arguments will be effectively wasted on those that, at best, are cowards beholden to a single man over their party, let alone the country.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial First Ever Second Impeachment Trial Thread Empty Re: tOfficial First Ever Second Impeachment Trial Thread

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 9 Feb 2021 - 14:18

today is the day that white 'pro-life' christians get to honor their christian leader as they minimize the murder of Americans and attack on our democracy.

I bet that when all of this is said and done, the republican christian senators can enjoy a meal on the house at the Mio Nip-n-Sip.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial First Ever Second Impeachment Trial Thread Empty Re: tOfficial First Ever Second Impeachment Trial Thread

Post by steveschneider Tue 9 Feb 2021 - 15:24

MiamiSpartan wrote:Yeah, I know, there's nothing to say. He wont be convicted, so there is no suspense. But still another big historical moment.

The video that Raskin opened with was perfect and well put together. Search Josh Campbell on twitter if you missed it and want to see it.

Then Neguse's argument on the precedent and constitutionality of holding this trial after Trump left office just destroyed the nonsense claims to the contrary, based on the words and actions of the Founders themselves.

It is a shame, however, that all of these arguments will be effectively wasted on those that, at best, are cowards beholden to a single man over their party, let alone the country.

Pretty much why I don't have the energy for it. Last four years were exhausting enough. Probably just take in a summary towards the end.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 9 Feb 2021 - 16:04

steveschneider wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:Yeah, I know, there's nothing to say. He wont be convicted, so there is no suspense. But still another big historical moment.

Pretty much why I don't have the energy for it. Last four years were exhausting enough. Probably just take in a summary towards the end.
if nothing else, it'll make for good material for campaign commercials in 2022.. who supported a murderous insurrection and attack on our democracy and who stood up for the Constitution.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue 9 Feb 2021 - 16:25

Report post to moderator or admin
Lock post for new reports

The pattern I've noticed with shit like this trial. I'll hear some MAGA nut job say something crazy and I'll react believing that this guy is a nut job. Nut job will do the Sunday News morning show circuit and double down or even triple down on the lunacy. Then I'll hear normal Americans repeating the talking points and acting crazy.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue 9 Feb 2021 - 16:56

Neguse blew me away. Wow. I’m embarrassed I never knew of him.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue 9 Feb 2021 - 17:42

Trump's team, lol. What a joke.

Good for him 50 GOP senators have already made up their mind to acquit.

Last edited by kingstonlake on Tue 9 Feb 2021 - 17:44; edited 1 time in total
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue 9 Feb 2021 - 17:43

One of Trump's lawyers, Bruce Castor, made some wild arguments that were pretty far from being constitutionally accurate. But I found this pretty amusing.

[tw]1359236839111094273?s=20[/tw]
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue 9 Feb 2021 - 17:59

kingstonlake wrote:Trump's team, lol. What a joke.

No way in hell all 50 vote to acquit. Probably 45-47. Romney and Sasse for sure are not. Probably Collins and Murkowski.

I didnt watch the Trump defense team, but it sounds like a shocking dumpster fire. Senator Cassidy, one of the Rs who voted against it being Constitutional a couple of weeks ago, voted for it after this, said that it was a mess that wasn't even about the topic at hand. Cassidy said even Cruz agreed with that. Cruz also apparently said that they didnt do the best job and that Raskin was impressive. So if that's from Cruz, then it shows that they really tanked this and Raskin was as awesome as I thought.

Of course Cruz and probably Cassidy and 40-some others will hide behind the "we are acquitting him because we still don't think it is Constitutional.

Gee, if only there was a branch of government, perhaps with a supreme body above the rest, that is tasked with ruling on whether things are Constitutional or not.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Tue 9 Feb 2021 - 18:22

His acquittal is the price the Rs are paying to not have their vote split by the "patriot" party. This is all a sham. Their rational for aquitting will be these flimsy constitutional "questions"... This is all a frustrating clusterfuck.
At least I can still shop at Meijer with a semi-clean conscious.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue 9 Feb 2021 - 18:30

I shop at Wegmans. Anyway, the baby needs a nap.

[tw]1359272249153499142?s=21[/tw]
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Tue 9 Feb 2021 - 18:50

Turtleneck wrote:I shop at Wegmans. Anyway, the baby needs a nap.

[tw]1359272249153499142?s=21[/tw]

Speaking of heart, I wonder how close the baby is to having an attack.

tOfficial First Ever Second Impeachment Trial Thread Giphy
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 9 Feb 2021 - 19:21

Events like this explains why our patriotic christian friends on the right refuse to post here.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue 9 Feb 2021 - 20:10

MiamiSpartan wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Trump's team, lol. What a joke.

No way in hell all 50 vote to acquit. Probably 45-47. Romney and Sasse for sure are not. Probably Collins and Murkowski.

I didnt watch the Trump defense team, but it sounds like a shocking dumpster fire. Senator Cassidy, one of the Rs who voted against it being Constitutional a couple of weeks ago, voted for it after this, said that it was a mess that wasn't even about the topic at hand. Cassidy said even Cruz agreed with that. Cruz also apparently said that they didnt do the best job and that Raskin was impressive. So if that's from Cruz, then it shows that they really tanked this and Raskin was as awesome as I thought.

Of course Cruz and probably Cassidy and 40-some others will hide behind the "we are acquitting him because we still don't think it is Constitutional.

Gee, if only there was a branch of government, perhaps with a supreme body above the rest, that is tasked with ruling on whether things are Constitutional or not.

True I misspoke. I meant they're not getting anyone more than the obvious to flip to conviction.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 9 Feb 2021 - 21:01

Castor was especially bad; just all over the place. Schoen wasn’t horrible, but talked forever about very little.
Too bad the Rs won’t vote on the main charge and then, if DT is convicted, let the courts decide if the trial was Constitutional.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 10 Feb 2021 - 6:41

Castor started by saying that they changed their presentation because the Democrats' presentation was so good. tOfficial First Ever Second Impeachment Trial Thread 502811600.

Then he goes on to say that they should arrest Trump instead of impeach him.

And also said that the people voted and the people chose to remove Trump. Yes, Trump's lawyer effectively said Trump was lying for months.

I feel like I'm watching an Arrested Development reboot and Castor is the new Barry Zuckercorn.

Oh, and then the other lawyer, Schoen,,goes on Hannity last night and says that Democrats say the same rhetoric, but don't have as many followers that will react to it. Soooooooo, he's saying that Trump has tons of followers that can be incited by his words? (setting aside that Dem rhetoric has never said that the election was stolen/fraudulent for months on end).

This would all be too absurd for even a satire/comedy.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 10 Feb 2021 - 7:46

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Events like this explains why our patriotic christian friends on the right refuse to post here.

It isn’t easy living in an alternative reality. There world keeps getting smaller and smaller.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed 10 Feb 2021 - 7:52

This probably belongs in about six threads.

[tw]1359295042700075008[/tw]

Insanity. Sucking up to county party officials.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 10 Feb 2021 - 10:43

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Events like this explains why our patriotic christian friends on the right refuse to post here.

I’m sure they are just fine and parroting brilliant conservative journalists like Byron York, who seems to forget Trump is a billionaire.

[tw]1359479499201650689?s=21[/tw]

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 10 Feb 2021 - 10:53

MiamiSpartan wrote:Castor started by saying that they changed their presentation because the Democrats' presentation was so good. tOfficial First Ever Second Impeachment Trial Thread 502811600.

Then he goes on to say that they should arrest Trump instead of impeach him.

And also said that the people voted and the people chose to remove Trump. Yes, Trump's lawyer effectively said Trump was lying for months.

I feel like I'm watching an Arrested Development reboot and Castor is the new Barry Zuckercorn.

Oh, and then the other lawyer, Schoen,,goes on Hannity last night and says that Democrats say the same rhetoric, but don't have as many followers that will react to it. Soooooooo, he's saying that Trump has tons of followers that can be incited by his words? (setting aside that Dem rhetoric has never said that the election was stolen/fraudulent for months on end).

This would all be too absurd for even a satire/comedy.

His approach to the 14th Amendment was wild. He read Sec. 3 word for word, which really just reinforced the Democrat’s case more than anything. All it did was allow people to draw a line from Trump to Jan. 6.

Then he said Sec. 3 only applied to the confederacy and required a standing criminal conviction. Ha! If we extend his logic, Sec. 1 only applies to freed slaves, so please don’t expect state’s to honor due process or equal protection of the law anymore. That is so late 19th Century.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 10 Feb 2021 - 10:54

Turtleneck wrote:

I’m sure they are just fine and parroting brilliant conservative journalists like Byron York, who seems to forget Trump is a billionaire.

[tw]1359479499201650689?s=21[/tw]

I just hope they're in a safe place where their feelings aren't hurt.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 10 Feb 2021 - 10:55

That is why they left, Bob. For a safe space.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Wed 10 Feb 2021 - 12:04

Jesus, is Patrick Leahy alive?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 10 Feb 2021 - 12:05

Jesus will check and get back to you after lunch.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed 10 Feb 2021 - 12:12

I feel like they'd have a legitimate chance at conviction if twitter unbanned Trump for 2 or 3 days.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Wed 10 Feb 2021 - 12:25

Turtleneck wrote:Jesus will check and get back to you after lunch.

I went to Catholic school from 1st thru 8th grade and had to go to church Monday thru Friday everyday of school. Plus church on Sundays. Can he squeeze me in before lunch? Pretty sure I'm a VIP.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 10 Feb 2021 - 12:39

so what is the super duper new evidence Democrats plan to present??

maybe it's the christian hero bragging about raping women?? Man, that would be a game-changer.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 10 Feb 2021 - 12:47

Cassidy votes to convict. Game changer?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed 10 Feb 2021 - 13:07

steveschneider wrote:Cassidy votes to convict. Game changer?

Was there a vote already today or are you talking about his affirmative vote yesterday on the constitutionality of the proceedings?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 10 Feb 2021 - 14:15

Floyd Robertson wrote:

Was there a vote already today or are you talking about his affirmative vote yesterday on the constitutionality of the proceedings?

Fucking Steve.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 10 Feb 2021 - 14:38

Floyd Robertson wrote:

My bad meant the vote yesterday...sloppy post on my part but I'm sure that will drive the haters to joy.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 10 Feb 2021 - 14:52

steveschneider wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

My bad meant the vote yesterday...sloppy post on my part but I'm sure that will drive the haters to joy.

Now that we know what you were asking, No, not a game changer. How is 1 vote a game changer when 44 others said that the trial is unconstitutional? I also expect Cassidy to vote to acquit.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 10 Feb 2021 - 14:57

A day or two ago politico had an article saying that Trump was confident that he would be acquitted (of course he will be) and excited that this would secure his hold on the party. This has me wondering if he actually wants a disaster of a defense, because being acquitted despite a horrible, comical defense, would make his hold that much greater and prove that the Rs discarded their oaths for him.

I know he was reportedly pissed at his lawyers, but that could very well be because they said the people legitimately voted him out. That's all he cares about.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 10 Feb 2021 - 15:13

MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Now that we know what you were asking, No, not a game changer. How is 1 vote a game changer when 44 others said that the trial is unconstitutional? I also expect Cassidy to vote to acquit.

Agree.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 10 Feb 2021 - 15:54

steveschneider wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

We all make mistakes, Steve. It’s ok.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 10 Feb 2021 - 16:02

Turtleneck wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

We all make mistakes, Steve. It’s ok.

Amen.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 10 Feb 2021 - 16:56

Wow, Delegate Plaskett's presentation of the breaching of the Capitol and hunt for Pence and Pelosi, was powerful. Previously unreleased audio from Capitol Police radio's, and unreleased security footage showing Pence being moved and Pelosi's staff running to hide.

Swalwell now taking over showing more previously unreleased footage and audio.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 10 Feb 2021 - 17:16

MiamiSpartan wrote:Wow, Delegate Plaskett's presentation of the breaching of the Capitol and hunt for Pence and Pelosi, was powerful.  Previously unreleased audio from Capitol Police radio's, and unreleased security footage showing Pence being moved and Pelosi's staff running to hide.

Swalwell now taking over showing more previously unreleased footage and audio.
it would be cool if pro-life christian republicans didn't hate America and any of this mattered.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 10 Feb 2021 - 17:39

Swalwell's presentation was equally as good as Plaskett's.

And I don't mean this in a legal or political sense, but the Plaskett and Swalwell presentations are a fantastic historical record of the events of one of the most significant days in US history. Seeing Officer Goodman directing Romney the other way, probably saving his life. Schumer and his detail going one way, then hightailing it the other way. Officers holding a line at the end of a hall on the background, while you see the Senators running out of the chamber in the foreground.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 10 Feb 2021 - 18:04

Just watched Plaskett. Pretty clear why GOP didn't want this to go to trial. GOP senators are going to have to calculate if it is worth it to have that vote to acquit on their record. Saw a good pundit take it's clear the Dems aren't making their case to the GOP that are leaning one way or the other on the vote but to the American public that will decide the outcome of future elections.

Also, listened to this earlier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry7vSMgfESQ

She seems to think there's a chance they'll convict and she outlines the plausible pathway at the start.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next